Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The use case they showed for that on the ads is you can start the machine remotely if you forget to put it on before leaving the house.

I'm not sure who remembers to load their washer and put the powder in but still forgets to hit the start button but I guess that's their target demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

EvilGenius posted:

After a while you do find yourself wondering if albums really exist anymore, as the concept is entirely abstract in the context of the interwebs. In a lot of these apps you can ignore the album grouping entirely and just go for artist, which I suspect is how 'the youth' listen to music.

Prog rock and other genres where a concept album is a normal thing to do, but that's about it these days I think.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
shouldn't it have its own AP/SSID temporarily until you log into it and connect it to your wifi then shut that poo poo off

that's how all the other stupid iot devices I have work anyway

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of my favorite IoT stories was the guy whose K-cup coffee machine wouldn't activate because somehow it got infected with malware.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel so very old.

It’ll be interesting to see how well an obsolete format sells just because it’s ironic. Vinyl has some features that make it preferable to digital or CD’s, but there’s nothing better about cassette tape.

I guess you can more easily record off that other obsolete technology -radio.

What features does vinyl have over digital or CD? The only one I can think of is physically larger packaging giving you more space for interesting album art and stuff like picture discs.

I wouldn't really call cassettes ironic. They're just novelties to have, and playing them's a bit of fun because of how little it has in common with listening to music now. For one, you actually have to listen to a whole album rather than an endlessly streamed series of singles from Spotify :v:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

The use case they showed for that on the ads is you can start the machine remotely if you forget to put it on before leaving the house.

I'm not sure who remembers to load their washer and put the powder in but still forgets to hit the start button but I guess that's their target demographic.

It’s useful if you wanna time your load with when you’re gonna be home

But so would a timer so why didn’t they make that?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

After some horrible experiences with a washing machine with a faulty inlet valve and walking into a flooded utility room and soaked carpet in the nearby room, I don't think I'd EVER want one to start washing when I wasn't at home. Then again, all I've ever had was the cheapest-rear end washing machines.

Even after replacing the inlet valve, I bought an overflow pan to put under the washer and a water-sensing alarm because cleanup even with my shop-vac was a pain in the rear end. I had to do that twice and never wanted to do it again. The new valve, pan, and alarm were probably not far off from the price of a new cheap-rear end washer.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Nov 23, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

It’s useful if you wanna time your load with when you’re gonna be home

But so would a timer so why didn’t they make that?

Really sorry for you if you need IoT or a timer to time your load :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/1065543090633564160

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

What features does vinyl have over digital or CD? The only one I can think of is physically larger packaging giving you more space for interesting album art and stuff like picture discs.

Album art is one. A whole plot line of Spinal Tap is about album art (or the absence of). So it was/is a big feature of the format. But also the sound quality is better to some people and nice record players can be decorative home furnishings, so LP’s gives them purpose.

But mostly it’s album art. If you’re listening to a song in Spotify and you like the album art, you can only enlarge it so much. It’s the difference between a tiny iPhone and one of Apple’s big 13 inch iPads.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I heard one reason some bands are using cassettes is to combat pirating, ironically enough. The thinking is that it's either too much effort or too obsolete a format for wide spread copying. Though I'm sure that these bands probably also have a digital version of their songs and someone would upload a cassette copy anyway. Maybe it was just a justification for being a hipster.

Anyway, here in the US while I'm a fan of Thanksgiving I think they same menu every year should be obsolete. If only to combat pirating and my mom's bad cooking.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A lot of people just want a physical keepsake, and CDs/LPs/cassettes fulfill that purpose. Even if the buyer doesn't actually have the gear to play it back, it still has sentimental value as an object.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if my brother-in-law will ruin the Yule ham with mustard again like every year. Mustard-coating on ham: obsolete, failed, borderline satanic.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A proper julskinka should be coated with mustard mixed with bread crumbs and baked.

What do you cover it with? Fazer liquorice and knife fights?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of people just want a physical keepsake, and CDs/LPs/cassettes fulfill that purpose. Even if the buyer doesn't actually have the gear to play it back, it still has sentimental value as an object.

I like LPs for this reason. I no longer have a need for portable media now that I have a pocket sized device that can access almost any song ever recorded at any time at better quality than any media.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The washer chat makes me quite happy ours is in the bathroom, where the floor is waterproof and slopes into the shower drain. It's also too old and too primitive to have a network connection, fortunately.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
IoT is the dumbest thing ever and unfortunately is not obsolete or failed yet. People will buy that poo poo just because, or pay extra for it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

IoT is the dumbest thing ever and unfortunately is not obsolete or failed yet. People will buy that poo poo just because, or pay extra for it.

The only thing that consumers want in IoT are things that keep their asses in the seat.

Turning off the lights in bed or on the couch, checking the door for deliveries and knockers, adjusting the thermostat at home or to protect their pets.

Starting a washer or a fridge that scans your milk? No consumer I have ever talked to wants that poo poo. It's just poo poo that manufacturers push out on the high end model, which competition then apes to seem higher end; so eventually we're in a world of smart trashcans and cloud connected toilet bowls.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Wasabi the J posted:

The only thing that consumers want in IoT are things that keep their asses in the seat.

Turning off the lights in bed or on the couch, checking the door for deliveries and knockers, adjusting the thermostat at home or to protect their pets.

Starting a washer or a fridge that scans your milk? No consumer I have ever talked to wants that poo poo. It's just poo poo that manufacturers push out on the high end model, which competition then apes to seem higher end; so eventually we're in a world of smart trashcans and cloud connected toilet bowls.

"Oh poo poo forgot to flush!"

*Fiddles with phone app for 10 minutes*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

axolotl farmer posted:

A proper julskinka should be coated with mustard mixed with bread crumbs and baked.

Mustard and brown sugar supremacy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Not everyone enjoys liquorice candy, for example the people with blood pressure problems.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DariusLikewise posted:

"Oh poo poo forgot to flush!"

*Fiddles with phone app for 10 minutes*

*A bored teenager in Uzbekistan causes every Samsung Toilet on the planet to go into an infinite flush loop*

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Prog rock and other genres where a concept album is a normal thing to do, but that's about it these days I think.

I like to think the album structure is about more than just filling up a CD or LP, as the writing of the music itself is influenced by the format. Even if it's not a concept album, it's a body of work that's from the same snapshot in time, performed and produced in the same way, and is a nice length of time to listen to one artist without getting bored. It'll be interesting to see if the album concept survived over the next few decades. I do miss singles with b-sides, which seem to have died entirely. I think that was after they changed the charting rules years back, and basically killed the format in the process.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Wasabi the J posted:

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity.

gently caress IoT, gently caress laziness, gently caress the manufacturer making that poo poo and the people buying the lovely IoT high end models anyway just to have the "top" model - they start the cycle of it being OK to make that poo poo.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Nov 23, 2018

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

To be fair, a smart fridge, with RFID tags on most products would be pretty nice honestly.
Getting a notification about X and Y expiring soon, getting recipe lists based on stuff you have.

The part that's less nice is that it would probably report back all your purchasing, spending, eating, fridge opening habits back to it's manifacturer.
Atleast for the few days it works before it gets turned into a botnet by the lightbulb in the hallway.

But as they are right now they're kind of pointless unless you want an additional screen in the kitchen to show recipes and etc, I guess.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
i don't know. It's like people are only useful for being good consumers and following orders...

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Nov 23, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity.

gently caress IoT, gently caress laziness, gently caress the manufacturer making that poo poo and the people buying the lovely IoT high end models anyway just to have the "top" model - they start the cycle of it being OK to make that poo poo.

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.
We know things are bad — worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fo3 posted:

i don't know. It's like people are only useful for being good consumers and following orders...

In the immortal words of Ralph Wiggum, "It's FUN to obey the machine!"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EvilGenius posted:

I like to think the album structure is about more than just filling up a CD or LP, as the writing of the music itself is influenced by the format. Even if it's not a concept album, it's a body of work that's from the same snapshot in time, performed and produced in the same way, and is a nice length of time to listen to one artist without getting bored. It'll be interesting to see if the album concept survived over the next few decades. I do miss singles with b-sides, which seem to have died entirely. I think that was after they changed the charting rules years back, and basically killed the format in the process.

As a musician, I'll also add that I always took great care in deciding which tracks came in what order. My albums never really followed a concept or narrative, but I liked to ensure the album as a whole had good flow. I'd have a short intro piece, then open with a banger chock full of hooks, then maybe a weird slow piece now that I have the listener's attention, then another hook-y one just in case they didn't like that... You get the idea. Even though all but one of my releases were on CD, you can tell I grew up with vinyl and cassette, because I'd always put in a short (like 30-60 second) track smack in the middle; that was my equivalent of "okay, you just flipped the record/tape, now you're listening to side B".

Who else misses hidden tracks on CDs? You can't have fun with stuff like that anymore. :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

A ham is a ham in its' own right. maybe the SHIFTY SWEDE wants to put mustard on it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Now everyone can see my true identity
I'm Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Really sorry for you if you need IoT or a timer to time your load :(
Yeah, goddamn, even my bottom of the barrel cheap as poo poo Siemens washer has a timer built in. It was bought as a replacement by my landlord, so you know it's definitely the cheapest frontloader money can buy.

Jerry Cotton posted:

A ham is a ham in its' own right. maybe the SHIFTY SWEDE wants to put mustard on it.
I never understood ruining ham with mustard. If you want it with mustard so bad then put some on once you have a slice on your plate, don't gently caress it up for the rest of us. Luckily my family is in agreement on this so no mustard is a given.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ruflux posted:

I never understood ruining ham with mustard. If you want it with mustard so bad then put some on once you have a slice on your plate, don't gently caress it up for the rest of us. Luckily my family is in agreement on this so no mustard is a given.

Gosh darn YES! Mustard is a condiment and you can always add more later! Can I come to you're Youle dinner?

(If not, then I will just feel justified in dis-liking the mustard glazing my B-I-L inflicts on a nice ham.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway if I put mustard on ham it's very much stronger than the sweet sweet stuff my BIL puts on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Now everyone can see my true identity
I'm Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy!

The only LP I bouht two copies in case. JUST IN CASE!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Who else misses hidden tracks on CDs? You can't have fun with stuff like that anymore. :(

Weird Al ended one of his albums with a track called Bite Me, which didn't appear on the printed track listing. It was ten minutes of dead silence, and then suddenly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIi-H0gSdM

Quite a few people are reported to have leaped out of their skin. :)

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a musician, I'll also add that I always took great care in deciding which tracks came in what order. My albums never really followed a concept or narrative, but I liked to ensure the album as a whole had good flow. I'd have a short intro piece, then open with a banger chock full of hooks, then maybe a weird slow piece now that I have the listener's attention, then another hook-y one just in case they didn't like that... You get the idea. Even though all but one of my releases were on CD, you can tell I grew up with vinyl and cassette, because I'd always put in a short (like 30-60 second) track smack in the middle; that was my equivalent of "okay, you just flipped the record/tape, now you're listening to side B".

Oh yeah totally, running order is important, and there's nothing that makes me want to punch a window more than 'shuffle'. What monster invented that? Nothing quite like a great album opener.

Best hidden track was on an Autechre album, who took advantage of the fact that nearly 100% of CD players start from track 1, but the format allows for a track 0. If you write to track zero, the only way to get to it is to wind back from track 1. I owned that album for a good couple of years before reading about the hidden track. I've yet to see it on any digital release.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Nov 23, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
One thing about vinyl as a format is that the loudness war never came to it (afaik) and they were mastered correctly even when cd versions of an album were ruined.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
2 Many Djs did that with their mix cd As heard on Radio Soukwax vol 2, if you hit back scan on track one eventually you’d get to this weird bootleg remix of Kylie Minogue they did. That was a fun disc to buy, I got a physical copy of it ten years after release and when it came in I thought someone had sent me a burned disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wooper posted:

One thing about vinyl as a format is that the loudness war never came to it (afaik) and they were mastered correctly even when cd versions of an album were ruined.

Yeah nah they were poo poo (a lovely substance shat out of the butt.)