Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Sword and shield uhhhh
ow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

LifeLynx posted:

I don't think Ascension 15-20 is fun or even good game design, but damnit I keep banging my head against it. On A19 now and I've almost uninstalled a few times.

what is bad about it from a game design perspective

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Verviticus posted:

what is bad about it from a game design perspective

IMO there are too many ways to get random'd into a loss and too few viable build options available. You basically can't afford to build for synergies, you have to pick the best individual card each time and hope that you get enough high-value cards during your run, or a Snecko Eye, to win.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Mash posted:

IMO there are too many ways to get random'd into a loss and too few viable build options available. You basically can't afford to build for synergies, you have to pick the best individual card each time and hope that you get enough high-value cards during your run, or a Snecko Eye, to win.

Tbh I've found I have a lot more success on high ascension just picking for some form of synergy (poison, barricade, whatever), and just doubling down on it every single time I get to pick a card. Sure, a bunch of the time you don't get offered the right cards, but when you do you're pretty much guaranteed to win.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I pick what I think will be fun, so my win rate is uhhhh really really bad. Well that's part of the reason it's really bad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Mash posted:

isnt this just kind of the natural conclusion of an incremental difficulty system? Like either its not hard enough or you have to be abusive and lucky

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Now that Thanksgiving has passed, can we petition the mods to change the thread title to Deck the Spire?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Shamash the Spire goyim

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm trying to set up a group cosplay for this game with me and a couple friends. Is there a full album of all the card art somewhere? Like I've found a few scattered across google but no single source for all of it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there such a thing as too many footworks?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Verviticus posted:

isnt this just kind of the natural conclusion of an incremental difficulty system? Like either its not hard enough or you have to be abusive and lucky

I guess. The increased difficulty just continuously reduces your margin for error, and a lot of your margin for error was used to cover game RNG in the first place. It's annoying to be 30 hp down and with no major damage card when you hit your first elite in act 1 because the path forces you into one after a couple of bad events and a few fights where you drew all defend cards on the monster's buff turns.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Awesome! posted:

is there such a thing as too many footworks?

It's when you run the risk of getting nothing but footworks on turn one, mostly. Same for defrag I'd say.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

It'd be nice if the game both had a lower margin for error and still retained a diversity of viable builds and rng not being run deciding

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sockser posted:

I'm trying to set up a group cosplay for this game with me and a couple friends. Is there a full album of all the card art somewhere? Like I've found a few scattered across google but no single source for all of it
Does the Compendium not work? I mean, you have to click each card individually, but that seems like the best source.

What I came here to post: man how the hell does anyone beat the final final boss (and fight before it) above A0, I'm even dying on A0, what the hell, big numbers in crazy ways

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I kinda wish you got to draft a couple cards before the start of the run, would make the early game less boring and remove some of the frustration when you run into a gremlin troupe on floor 4 after having been offered nothing but some mediocre defensive cards.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Neat. Been awhile since I've made top 10 on the daily (though it'll drop a lot once the cheaters get their scores in). Deck looked like this with the Defragment bottled:

The Runic Dodecahedron was a "hilarious" troll from digging on the last campsite with 84/87 health.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 23, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
wait why the gently caress isn’t the thread title Sleigh the Spire

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

:perfect:

Mods please.

Anyway my problem with Ascension mode is that at A19 I keep getting decks that crush in act 1 and most of act 2, and then I'll run into that one enemy that does 39x3 or some other crushing amount and my deck is never not full of Dazeds, Burns, or Wounds because every enemy puts 3-5 of them in at a time.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What I came here to post: man how the hell does anyone beat the final final boss (and fight before it) above A0, I'm even dying on A0, what the hell, big numbers in crazy ways

I'm currently 3/3 on that fight (all three characters, two A17s and an A9). I don't expect that to last, but what's worked so far is just the standard routes that maximize elite counts while getting lots of normal fights for cards early in Act 1 and lots of question marks for good events in the later acts. The decks were:

1) Ironclad: Corruption deck with splashes of his other two main strategies. Two Body Slams that I picked up early, plus a Barricade picked up late synergized well with the Corruption for block stacking. I also lucked into Orange Pellets early and so picked up Flex and upgraded it as soon as possible. That and a steroid potion saved for the last battle gave me a good bit of strength.

2) Silent: A janky lots-of-ok-cards deck. I drew Philosopher's Stone at the start and Toxic Egg early, which both made it easy to breeze through the game looking for the strongest powerups and dictated my strategy. I picked up several Quick Slashes, an Afterimage and Terrorize, and just focused on playing lots of cards for moderate effect. I had a Nightmare that osciallated between doing nothing and triviallizing fights (when used on Afterimage, the Ghost Form that I eventually grabbed, or a few other cards). By the final fight I had Shuriken, Unceasing Top, lots of energy relics and several Shiv cards. Afterimage let me play all those cards, and the strength-stacking and solid damage output let me kill the heart before it killed me.

3). Defect: Sometimes you get two Echo Forms. Sometimes you get two Echo Forms, Meteor Strike, Sunder, and Enlightenment. I had a good bit of luck in all three runs, but this was the stupidly luckiest run of them all. I could play very expensive cards frequently and double their effects. I struggled a bit with blocking, but was able to draft just enough (in conjunction with Runic Pyramid letting me hold it for the turns that mattered) to keep incoming damage below what an Echo-Formed Self Repair could handle. Boot Sequence helped a great deal there. The first Boot Sequence that you draft is, IMO, one of the Defect's strongest cards, just behind Echo Form and the other mostly-rare run-defining cards. It just saves so much attrition damage (especially in conjunction with the power-heavy setup turns that you want to have) and plays well with Hologram/All for One/Runic Pyramid in fights where the enemy doesn't lead with an attack.

Some other points: The ability to nuke down one of the enemies in the first two turns of the fight before the last boss is very good. I got a lot of mileage out of Pen Nib and Ritual Dagger in multiple runs. The final fight went quickly (from four to seven turns) in all three runs. Given the way the heart scales, that's probably a necessity without lots of intangible or Entrench combined with either Barricade or Calipers. Thorns are obviously nice. Medikit is a good pick (and I mistakenly bought a Toolbox in my Silent run because the icon looks similar). Card draw is as important as ever: two Battle Trances did a lot for me in the Ironclad run. There are a lot of relics that I didn't mention individually but that helped a great deal in aggregate: elite hunting is really important both for the chances to get a transformative card or relic and for the moderate, incremental upgrades that it offers.

I mostly picked up the keys late. The elite key can be whenever you're feeling strong and can fit it into your route: usually Act 3, but sometimes earlier if things are going well. I delayed the chest key until it was opposite a weak relic or I was at the last guaranteed chance. The campfire key was always the last or second-to-last campfire (second-to-last if I thought it possible that I'd need an emergency rest or get a card that I'd want to upgrade between it and the last).

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HundredBears posted:

I mostly picked up the keys late. The elite key can be whenever you're feeling strong and can fit it into your route: usually Act 3, but sometimes earlier if things are going well. I delayed the chest key until it was opposite a weak relic or I was at the last guaranteed chance. The campfire key was always the last or second-to-last campfire (second-to-last if I thought it possible that I'd need an emergency rest or get a card that I'd want to upgrade between it and the last).

i've beaten the final boss as defect but still hadn't quite figured out the elite key, like the other two, would keep offering options in every act rather than just being an act 1 thing

that'll change my act 1 routes for sure

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

RyokoTK posted:

Damnit, I liked mine... But this one is better.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

RyokoTK posted:

Incredible

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HundredBears posted:

Medikit is a good pick (and I mistakenly bought a Toolbox in my Silent run because the icon looks similar).
This makes me feel way better, because I've done this twice :shobon:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao just a completely disgusting character
Got apotheosis from the coloress cards option at the beginning upgraded it first chance I got and went to town

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Had an amazing silent run going with a duplicated upgraded panache and a thousand cuts with an unceasing top and like 6 energy. Misclicked in act 3, ended my turn early and got pounded into the dirt :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

Had an amazing silent run going with a duplicated upgraded panache and a thousand cuts with an unceasing top and like 6 energy. Misclicked in act 3, ended my turn early and got pounded into the dirt :(

next time that happens save/quit and then continue, you start that fight over

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

If the turn killed you though restarting before the damage goes through won't save you.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Killed three bosses and got to the heart on my second run :smug:.

I'm going to die 50 times in a row now aren't I?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Sometimes the daily challenge is just silly.

I picked up Mind Blast for this last one where you get 3 copies of every card you pick added to your deck. I also have molten egg, so all 3 are upgraded.

my deck is huge already, so I now have over 300 damage on turn 1. I ALSO have bag of marbles for vulnerable on turn 1. I killed the 2nd floor boss instantly.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah on one of the daily challenges it started you with like 15 random rare cards and one of them was feed. i got the +2hp relic and another feed in like five floors and ended the game with 203 health

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Three Limit Break+ is a fun deck, I enjoyed this.

heavy blade did 700 damage or something

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What do the 3 glowing icons mean after I've cleared A15 with all 3 characters?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What do the 3 glowing icons mean after I've cleared A15 with all 3 characters?

You can now gather the keys necessary to access Act 4 and probably die to the end boss.

Not ascension specific, btw.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

RyokoTK posted:

Hello? Mods?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Please wait until Valentine's day and rename it Lay the Spire

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I want to nominate Slay the Spire in the top-10 games poll but you have to list your top ten and since I'm a filthy casual these days I don't think I can come up with ten games from 2018 that I've played enough to have opinions on :/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zephro posted:

I want to nominate Slay the Spire in the top-10 games poll but you have to list your top ten and since I'm a filthy casual these days I don't think I can come up with ten games from 2018 that I've played enough to have opinions on :/

here are 9 other good games from this year that you should play and/or use to fill out your list: dead cells, celeste, into the breach, return of the obra dinn, yoku's island express, minit, donut county, crosscode, la mulana 2

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Found this game lately and been playing it. It's fun! I always get my rear end whooped though. I've only gotten to the fight before the final fight and haven't been good enough to beat it. I had a good frost defect run that I was heartbroken couldn't get the job done. Sometimes the game just screws you with card selection and that drives me nuts. Plus when the elite fight for the key is down a monster hell path! I need my question marks.

With Ironclad I'm always building decks that are fun to play with but have no chance of actually winning.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Phew, finally beat A18 with Silent! Fat decks seem to be the way to go, but I still died a lot on Act 2.

This time I got an awesome Neow bonus, traded my starting gold for Girya and lifted at every bonfire. An early meat on the bone helped a lot with this, early shovel didn't get used once though. I also got an early toxic egg! Drafted a lot of blade dances, cloak and daggers and dagger spray, which really payed off when I got the JAX event, and even more when I got both Kunai and Shuriken in act 3. I also had a bottled Terror+, so my shivs were often doing over 20 damage each and only got stronger as fights went on.

Special thanks also to mummified hand and bird urn. I haven't had this nice of a set of relics in a long time. Thanks for carrying me relics!

Edit: and immediately afterwards I beat A19 on my first run! Feels good after struggling so long on 17 and 18. I went for trading gold for a rare relic again and got Duvu Doll, which was up to 5 strength by the final boss. I once again got toxic egg early, and drafted a really weird discard/poison/thousand cuts deck which ended up with snecko skull, shuriken and hovering kite, and a ton of draw. It was a really bizarre deck but fun to play.

Now on to A20. Two bosses is gonna be nuts, I ended my last run at 10 health, no way it would have defeated another boss.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
Lagavulin chat: Islay the Spire