Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Huntersoninski posted:

It might. A decently thick one will probably be a bit expensive, but worth it. And at least if you get one of those you'll know there'll probably be a better return policy.

Spikes32 posted:

The other option is to wait a week or two and see if your back adjusts. Sometimes different beds take a minute for your body to adjust to.

These are both (kinda) accurate. If you've been sleeping in a situation with lovely support, going to a new mattress (of any quality and variety) is going to make you a bit sore. Your body is used to getting by with a poor level of support, and it will take a bit to get used to. Additionally, all posturepedic mattresses have some sort of reinforcement around the center third of the mattress, ostensibly to assist in alignment (thus the posturepedic you see :v: ), which can have its own unique acclimatization time.

A topper is unlikely to help with muscle pain, or with a lack of support. They are used primarily to soften a surface, and therefore help mostly with contact pain of too hard a bed. E.g., toppers are recommended for a relatively new bed that causes shoulder pain when you sleep on your side. Toppers will never really affect the support of a mattress, only the comfort and pressure relief.

If you would elaborate on the pain you and your SO are experiencing (either here or in PM), I'll see if I can give you some more information to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Funny enough both my wife and I woke up this morning with minimal back pain. I can't speak to the details of my wife's back pain but I'll say that mine is in the lower back, it makes it really hard to bend over and touch my toes in the morning. By mid-day its warmed up and feels better. Today it was minimal and I could reach my toes after waking up, albeit uncomfortably.

I searched around the web to see how long it takes to 'break in' a mattress, if there is such a thing, and I didn't get a consistent answer other than "yes there is a break in period" with a lower bound of a week and an upper bound of three months. So I guess five nights and starting to feel a bit more comfortable makes sense? Our bodies have to adjust to sleeping on garbage and the mattress might have to soften up a bit.

The mattress is really firm, which was intentional, I may look into a topper just to make it feel softer.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Whatever happened to latex mattresses? Back when I last looked into this it seemed like as a people we'd all decided that a proper, uniform latex mattress was the objective ideal, yet now all I can find are these sketchy sounding 7+ zoned micro-spring and memoryfoam mattresses that are priced all over the place. Is it just because if you have like 8 layers of different stuff it's easier to charge a premium for it?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Biomute posted:

Whatever happened to latex mattresses? Back when I last looked into this it seemed like as a people we'd all decided that a proper, uniform latex mattress was the objective ideal, yet now all I can find are these sketchy sounding 7+ zoned micro-spring and memoryfoam mattresses that are priced all over the place. Is it just because if you have like 8 layers of different stuff it's easier to charge a premium for it?

Good latex is crazy expensive. Furthermore, pure latex mattresses are generally very firm and are susceptible to moisture damage. Moisture (e.g., sweat) will break latex down faster than just about any other bedding material... and the majority of people really suck at taking care of their beds. Other constructions are more robust.

lovely latex, or latex foam, is usually much cheaper than good talalay latex, in both price and performance. Dunlop latex is generally even firmer than talalay latex, and therefore only really appeals to folks that want ultra firm sleeping surfaces.

Honestly, a classic Purple mattress is likely closest to latex in feel and performance without what latex would cost. Take this with a heaping spoonful of salt, as my exposure to Purple is extremely limited, and I'm going exclusively off of their rubberized polymer--and good latex is a type of rubber.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a purple king2. FYI, if you add a mattress to your cart then leave it there for a couple of days they'll send you a link for $50 off if you complete in the next 48 hours.

spf3million posted:

The mattress was delivered just over 2 months ago, this is my 2 month review:

We came from a relatively firm <$1k Ikea memory foam king mattress that had developed big dips after about 1.5 years which we liked aside from the dips.

Wife and I love the feel of the purple. Different than anything else we've tried, probably a little less firm than we expected but very comfortable. It sleeps noticibly cooler than our previous mattress.

Unfortunately, the mattress has developed 1/4" dips where we sleep over the course of the two months we've had it. I contacted Purple and they immediately shipped us a replacement after a few questions and a single photo claiming it was a manufacturing defect. When I asked if the 100 night trial period would reset, they said no. The 10-yr warranty on the mattress is anything over an inch depression would qualify for a warranty replacement. So I asked them to reconsider resetting the 100 day trial because otherwise I won't be able to determine if the depressions are a one-off defect or a feature of all Purple mattresses. I only have a few weeks left before the 100 day trial ends so if they don't reset the clock, I'm going to return it and start the search over.

Purple update:
When the 100 night trail was almost over, we had decided to return it and try something else. The replacement mattress had the same hump in the middle as the original. Not sure if they just smash together the guts of two twin sizes and sew it all up or what but we decided it wasn't worth the $2k. So i contacted the return people and they offered me a 30 day extension to continue trying it. So I went with that and Purple sent a confirmation email which contained the following:

purple email posted:

Thank you for filling out the form, adding 30 days to your trial is an excellent idea! Your trial and [sic] will now expire on (10/21/2018).

Please be sure to get back with me before that date if you still decide you want to return the mattress. A refund will not be possible after this date. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
So on Friday 10/19 I filled out the online return form they send you and got a confirmation email that they received the form. I figured we were good to go as i had met the requirement to "get back with them before the date". There are several options to choose from on how to dispose of the mattress, one being to donate it to a charity, another to have Purple pick it up for you. Not owning a car big enough to move the king size mattress, I selected the latter option.

Yesterday, I was reading the fine print on the return confirmation email and it says:

fine print posted:

In order to get your refund, this return must to be completed and a donation receipt emailed to us by the end of your trial. *unless otherwise approved*
So I call up customer service the next day (Saturday 10/20) to make sure I was in the clear seeing as how the original returns rep made it sound like I just needed to initiate the return before 10/21 and made no mention of the "need to send a donation receipt" requirement. The service rep who picked up was very nice but the returns department aren't in on the weekends and she couldn't confirm that I'd get a refund if I didn't send a donation receipt that day (no one is in at all on Sunday apparently). So while I was on hold as she escalated to a manager, I start scrambling to figure out how to get this thing to a place which accepts them on a late Saturday afternoon (apparently no one wants to accept used mattress donations). Thankfully she got back on the line and had found a way to arrange for a pickup that day so I could get my return receipt. A Got Junk truck pulls up about 2 hours later and I sent in a photo of my copy of the receipt. I plan on calling on Monday morning to see how long it will take to get the refund.

We already purchased a Sleep Number mattress for about $700 more, being delivered on Tuesday. A big selling point for me was that Sleep Number can replace worn out parts of your mattress i.e. the foam topper if the indents get bothersome after x number of years. I also liked that the foam isn't a big portion of the support system so it's tendency to develop dips should be lower. Initially I thought the sleep tracker app would be tacky but after playing around with the sales guy's stats, I actually think it's pretty cool. Hope this is the last mattress I purchase in a long time. What an annoying thing to try and buy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I bought a purple (the old model) and I think that I think it's good. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and it's pretty dang good. The problem is that I spend 3 nights of the week at my significant others place, and her mattress is crazy soft. The result is that I sleep on my side at her place and on my back at my place, but my body never gets quite used to either one before switching again. I am going to hold onto it for most of the 100 day trial and see whats up. I'm 5'11" ~175 and my partner has only slept on the mattress one with me. She didn't care for it and prefers much softer. I still have random spots muscle soreness because of the constant switching, and because my significant other wraps me like an octopus when she sleeps, which can cause my body to rest in weird positions.

I haven't noticed the indent problem of the dude above me.

Idk I think I like purple mattress, so I give it 5 \:shobon:/ 's out of 5.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Synastren posted:

Good latex is crazy expensive. Furthermore, pure latex mattresses are generally very firm and are susceptible to moisture damage. Moisture (e.g., sweat) will break latex down faster than just about any other bedding material... and the majority of people really suck at taking care of their beds. Other constructions are more robust.

lovely latex, or latex foam, is usually much cheaper than good talalay latex, in both price and performance. Dunlop latex is generally even firmer than talalay latex, and therefore only really appeals to folks that want ultra firm sleeping surfaces.

Honestly, a classic Purple mattress is likely closest to latex in feel and performance without what latex would cost. Take this with a heaping spoonful of salt, as my exposure to Purple is extremely limited, and I'm going exclusively off of their rubberized polymer--and good latex is a type of rubber.

Maybe generally but the one I have isn't very firm. Well maybe it is and it's what I'm use to but I did go for the less firm choice when I got it. Latex is also heavy.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my-mattress-is-too-firm update: i bought a 2" memory foam topper for like $60 and oh my god my mattress is now the most comfortable thing i'll probably ever sleep on :3

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I want to get a futon for cheap. But I don't think it's wise to get one used as it could have bed bugs. I was thinking of getting a frame used, and then purchasing a new mattress separately. Though it makes me wonder, if mattresses for futons are univesal or specific to each frame they come on. Anybody know?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to get a futon for cheap. But I don't think it's wise to get one used as it could have bed bugs. I was thinking of getting a frame used, and then purchasing a new mattress separately. Though it makes me wonder, if mattresses for futons are univesal or specific to each frame they come on. Anybody know?

Futon mattresses are generally universal, but they're generally very similar to one another. Your best bet for that kind of mattress is from a furniture store, as bed specialty stores are unlikely to carry such things.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Synastren posted:

Futon mattresses are generally universal, but they're generally very similar to one another. Your best bet for that kind of mattress is from a furniture store, as bed specialty stores are unlikely to carry such things.

I see. Thanks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like my purple classic and purple pillow.

Definitely took my body a few lento het used to it, but it’s good

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey bed thread.

So I've been on-and-off researching memory foam beds. I've never slept on one, but the coil mattress we have is probably 15+ years old so we definitely need a new one.

A while ago I came to the determination that Loom and Leaf is our best option. Can't remember exactly why, but I had read several sites and made that decision. It's the memory foam bed made by Staava.

However, I have not seen that one mentioned in this thread (though I mostly skimmed so I may have missed it).

Anyone have experience with that one?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've been reading the thread, and I think I need a purple mattress in my life. Can anyone comment on the original vs. the new versions? My wife and I are side/stomach sleepers, and I'm mostly looking for something that sleeps cooler and is more supportive than our current 12 year old not-pocket-coil mattress. Does the new purple really have that much going for it over the original that it justifies the much higher price?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been reading the thread, and I think I need a purple mattress in my life. Can anyone comment on the original vs. the new versions? My wife and I are side/stomach sleepers, and I'm mostly looking for something that sleeps cooler and is more supportive than our current 12 year old not-pocket-coil mattress. Does the new purple really have that much going for it over the original that it justifies the much higher price?

Purple will certainly be supportive; it's suprisingly firm and bouncy. It will not be particularly soft. You may be able to try Purple at a Mattress Firm, depending on where you live, though your options to try may be limited.

Foam cores in beds-in-a-box are not something I would consider to be especially high quality--but virtually anything you can find over ~$600 will be an upgrade over a connected coil unit. The Purple hybrids have encased coils instead of foam cores; steel is more expensive than biab foam cores, thus the dramatic price increase. I think the new hybrids are also quite a bit softer than the classic Purple, on account of allowing for more contouring with coils than with a foam core.

DaveSauce posted:

Hey bed thread.

So I've been on-and-off researching memory foam beds. I've never slept on one, but the coil mattress we have is probably 15+ years old so we definitely need a new one.

A while ago I came to the determination that Loom and Leaf is our best option. Can't remember exactly why, but I had read several sites and made that decision. It's the memory foam bed made by Staava.

However, I have not seen that one mentioned in this thread (though I mostly skimmed so I may have missed it).

Anyone have experience with that one?

Looking over their website and marketing, I gotta give them an A+ in style; holy poo poo they are disingenuous as hell though. It boggles my mind they would compare their product to a Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze, and they only show superficial nonsense. Regardless, the product specs look OK. Judging solely from those specs, that bed is going to be quite firm. I've sold things with 5 pound density foam, and that poo poo is not soft. I was going to write a lot more, but I'll simplify it as much as possible:

Of the online offerings I've seen, it looks to be among the better ones. I take umbrage with a lot of their disingenuous marketing and pseudo-diagnostics, though. Investigate their return/exchange policy (e.g., see if you have to take your own steps to donate the mattress to charity to get credit from the company for your refund, or other things similar), and if it is satisfactory, it may be worth trying.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I really like my new purple 2 for what it's worth. Not sure it's quiiite worth the price, but was a giant upgrade for me. If you decide to try it, keep in mind the 100 day trial is only for the mattress and not the free peripheral they'll bundle in for you. That return policy is 30 days

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Synastren posted:

Of the online offerings I've seen, it looks to be among the better ones. I take umbrage with a lot of their disingenuous marketing and pseudo-diagnostics, though. Investigate their return/exchange policy (e.g., see if you have to take your own steps to donate the mattress to charity to get credit from the company for your refund, or other things similar), and if it is satisfactory, it may be worth trying.

I didn't buy a loom and leaf, but I did buy a saatva, and their customer service is really great. Assuming they do the same thing for their memory foam as their inner spring mattresses, they'll come get a mattress you don't like themselves, and refund you everything but $99.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I actually went to a Mattress Firm today with my wife. They didn't have a Purple mattress on display, which was my main goal to see, but they did offer me some insight on their side of things. They told me that they actually see a ton of returns on the Purple, mostly because it apparently doesn't sleep as cool as people hope it will. They also showed me the Serta iComfort Blue Touch 1000, which was admittedly really comfortable. I'm not married to the idea of Purple, but I do sleep like a furnace, and so cooling is the prime need for me in a bed. I'm trying to remain as impartial to one bed over another as I can, especially as I'm not gonna be buying for at least the next few months. I dunno.

Synastren, what do you think? Just to recap, my wife's a side sleeper, I'm a side/stomach sleeper, she can sleep on whatever, and is always cold, I sleep like a furnace and need something to get the heat off my head and body at night. It really seems like I'm not gonna get to lay on a Purple without buying one, and I've heard some stories re: their return process taking a long while, and after today I'm just not sure anymore.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I've heard great things about Tuft & Needle but I remember there was a mattress sales professional in the earlier pages of this thread who warned against T&N but didn't go into specifics beyond it being over-priced. I know lots of people in this thread love the Purple, but can anyone speak to good or bad experiences with T&N?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I got one in 2016 when they still had the mail BIAB market space mostly to themselves and it still feels like it did the day I got it. They've since raised prices 25% though, I wouldn't do it again at the $750 price point.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I actually went to a Mattress Firm today with my wife. They didn't have a Purple mattress on display, which was my main goal to see, but they did offer me some insight on their side of things. They told me that they actually see a ton of returns on the Purple, mostly because it apparently doesn't sleep as cool as people hope it will. They also showed me the Serta iComfort Blue Touch 1000, which was admittedly really comfortable. I'm not married to the idea of Purple, but I do sleep like a furnace, and so cooling is the prime need for me in a bed. I'm trying to remain as impartial to one bed over another as I can, especially as I'm not gonna be buying for at least the next few months. I dunno.

Synastren, what do you think? Just to recap, my wife's a side sleeper, I'm a side/stomach sleeper, she can sleep on whatever, and is always cold, I sleep like a furnace and need something to get the heat off my head and body at night. It really seems like I'm not gonna get to lay on a Purple without buying one, and I've heard some stories re: their return process taking a long while, and after today I'm just not sure anymore.

If you really want to go the Purple route, the Firm can still provide one for you, even if you don't get the opportunity to try it. If you're in a market where they don't carry one, and you don't like it, the return process through Mattress Firm will be incredibly painless since your return will provide the market with a model to show in a clearance store. This happened in my market--an online purchase turned into a return, and now my market has a single Purple to show. If you do happen to go the Purple route, you 100% need to tell your sales guy that there is a line item in the system to put on your invoice that allows for a free return/exchange, which is one of the two exceptions to our policy regarding returns/exchange.

If you and your wife have no issue with pressure on your hips/shoulders when sleeping on your side, the BT 1000 is a perfectly fine mattress. That's the first mattress in our foam lineup that will really start to show any active cooling technology in any significant way, aside from one really gimmicky cheap one that we recently discontinued. I don't think that the cooling in the BT 1000 is so strong that it will be uncomfortable for your better half, but it will certainly help you. If you have more specific questions, shoot me a PM!

legsarerequired posted:

I've heard great things about Tuft & Needle but I remember there was a mattress sales professional in the earlier pages of this thread who warned against T&N but didn't go into specifics beyond it being over-priced. I know lots of people in this thread love the Purple, but can anyone speak to good or bad experiences with T&N?

Hi!
While I've softened slightly on how I feel about T&N's offerings, I still maintain that their product is too expensive for what it offers, which aligns well with shame on an IGA's experience. Mattress Firm tulo line is very similar to T&N's two core lines (tulo LIV is almost identical to the original T&N; the tulo collection roughly equates to the Mint) while being at least $100 cheaper, with an added benefit that you can try those mattresses in store. I recently had a T&N showroom open in my city, so I've been able to see how they present themselves, and try their product more thoroughly; this is why I've toned down my distaste.

Casper can still go gently caress off and die, though.

The key thing to keep in mind with BIAB experiences--especially online purchases--is that people seeking those products are usually trading a failing (or failed) mattress for one that is in good condition. As such, those new beds feel amazing and they get raved about. The vast majority of folks only think about their mattress when something fails, or just after something is replaced. We'll start getting a much clearer picture of the long-term performance of BIAB products in the next couple of years. T&N started in 2012, and Casper started in 2014, so only the earliest adopters of T&N have passed 5 years of ownership.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Synastren posted:

Casper can still go gently caress off and die, though.

Why do you say that? Is it because of the bloggers they were paying off (if I'm remembering the article posted earlier in the thread correctly)?

quote:

The key thing to keep in mind with BIAB experiences--especially online purchases--is that people seeking those products are usually trading a failing (or failed) mattress for one that is in good condition. As such, those new beds feel amazing and they get raved about. The vast majority of folks only think about their mattress when something fails, or just after something is replaced. We'll start getting a much clearer picture of the long-term performance of BIAB products in the next couple of years. T&N started in 2012, and Casper started in 2014, so only the earliest adopters of T&N have passed 5 years of ownership.

Absolutely. I don't need a new mattress but I went to a Mattress Firm to try a Purple and a tulo. The tulo felt way too soft, even at the firmest option. The purple's firmest option felt absolutely heavenly. I actually felt my upper back crack a little bit. It's too bad the Purple sales seem to only be a free pillow with a mattress purchase--otherwise, I'd be very tempted to upgrade on black Friday.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

legsarerequired posted:

Why do you say that? Is it because of the bloggers they were paying off (if I'm remembering the article posted earlier in the thread correctly)?

It's been a bit since I read that linked article, but IIRC, they have shady, predatory business practices where they were basically paying people off to write good reviews, and then when they didn't get a good review from a guy and couldn't buy him out, they basically sued him into oblivion and bought out his blog and turned it into the Casper Fanwank Blog. Regardless of how good their beds are, that's a loving lovely practice and I agree with Synastren that any company that's gonna blatantly do that can go die in a fire. To put it another way, I personally kind of equate it to pay-2-win style games with basically mandatory microtransactions and loot crates and poo poo. Shady loving business practice that shows they give no fucks about anything other than money.

Unless I completely read it wrong, which is entirely possible.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

It's been a bit since I read that linked article, but IIRC, they have shady, predatory business practices where they were basically paying people off to write good reviews, and then when they didn't get a good review from a guy and couldn't buy him out, they basically sued him into oblivion and bought out his blog and turned it into the Casper Fanwank Blog. Regardless of how good their beds are, that's a loving lovely practice and I agree with Synastren that any company that's gonna blatantly do that can go die in a fire. To put it another way, I personally kind of equate it to pay-2-win style games with basically mandatory microtransactions and loot crates and poo poo. Shady loving business practice that shows they give no fucks about anything other than money.

Unless I completely read it wrong, which is entirely possible.

Completely agreed!

I tried the Purple mattress today and it felt so amazing, but I'm definitely seeing lots of reviews from people who start to have problems with the mattress after the 100-day trial--either the mattress starts to sag and they have to send it back under the warranty, or they mention back pain after having an amazing initial few months of sleep.

The Mattress Firm where I tried the Purple had four firmness settings. My favorite by far was the Purple 1, the firmest setting. I don't see this on the Purple website. Is it basically the original Purple?

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 12, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So uhh I’m looking for a cheaper king size mattress, preferably one that is available on amazon. The problem I am finding is that these foam mattresses all have a layer of glass fiber as a fire retardant inside the outer cotton/whatever layer which in turn has a non zero % change of making it outside and into my clothes and skin.

Do any of these companies not use this material? Should I just avoid these altogether? I’m really hoping to spend under $500, so just let me know if I’d be better off getting a cheap innerspring one from a local store.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So uhh I’m looking for a cheaper king size mattress, preferably one that is available on amazon. The problem I am finding is that these foam mattresses all have a layer of glass fiber as a fire retardant inside the outer cotton/whatever layer which in turn has a non zero % change of making it outside and into my clothes and skin.

Do any of these companies not use this material? Should I just avoid these altogether? I’m really hoping to spend under $500, so just let me know if I’d be better off getting a cheap innerspring one from a local store.

As far as I know, the fire sock that you object to is pretty ubiquitous with foam mattresses. In fact, there are a lot of mattresses that use that flame retardant, independent of construction. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about that getting to your skin. Generally speaking, I think that foam is a better option for the lower end, as economy class foam is still superior to the types of coil units in similarly priced mattresses. In my own store, I would certainly be inclined to recommend foam over innerspring for that price range.

There may be a fair amount of Black Friday deals going around for foam mattresses, across most bed in a box companies. Expect to get an OK but not mindblowing product, regardless of whose product you decide to pursue!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
My question isn't so much which mattress I should get (like I can afford any of these) but size. I'm stuck with an inconvenient queen bed and I'm thinking of downsizing. Is twin xl too small for someone 5'7, 120 lbs?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

My question isn't so much which mattress I should get (like I can afford any of these) but size. I'm stuck with an inconvenient queen bed and I'm thinking of downsizing. Is twin xl too small for someone 5'7, 120 lbs?

Twin XL is the same length as Queen or King, but is the width of a Twin. It would be 8 inches wider than half of your current mattress. TXL is most common in firehouses, call rooms of hospitals, and college dormitories.

K = 76"x80"
Q = 60"x80"
TXL = 38"x80"

:eng101:

It's up to you if you'll be comfortable with that amount of room.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm seeing Black Friday deals on Macy's website - are those actual good deals, or are those "we kicked the price up a few hundred bucks this week so that the 'discount' looks amazing!" deals?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm 5'8 and this will be fine for you, I find regular twin beds not bad either.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Casper mattress. However, the whole foundation/box spring thing is confusing me. Can I use the box spring I have from my old mattress with the Casper? Guys in the store seemed to say no but I don't trust them. Everything I've read online has been even more confusing.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm seeing Black Friday deals on Macy's website - are those actual good deals, or are those "we kicked the price up a few hundred bucks this week so that the 'discount' looks amazing!" deals?

As a general rule, super cheap sets that are being advertised are not particularly good beds. They're not sold to make money, they're used to get folks to look at better things. The other mattresses with savings are p. OK, but they're also not as discounted. We have analogous models to the BR silvers and platinums, and they're decent beds... and we have them marked at roughly similar prices.

RFX posted:

I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Casper mattress. However, the whole foundation/box spring thing is confusing me. Can I use the box spring I have from my old mattress with the Casper? Guys in the store seemed to say no but I don't trust them. Everything I've read online has been even more confusing.

Obligatory "gently caress Casper."

Broad strokes: if a manufacturer makes and sells a support for the mattress, you need to use theirs. Platform beds are always OK (as long as they have 2 inches or less between the slats, or are a solid piece, they are platforms). Adjustable bases count as platform beds, and are fine as long as the mattress is adjustable base compatible. Online companies may not play by the same rules as everyone else does (Purple strongly recommends using their platform or their adjustable, will tolerate other platforms), and so their relationships to boxed foundations are... iffy.

ed: To be clear, it's for warranty reasons. If your foundation is sound, the mattress will function as designed.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

RFX posted:

We've had a Casper for a couple and we are using the 15 year old box spring from our old mattress and have had no issues.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I’ve had a TempurPedic mattress for about 10-11 years now and I’m having some low back pain every morning now. For the holidays, I slept on an air mattress and felt instantly better. I’m not sure if this is my mattress degrading or what but I’m not sure what to do here. I sleep on back, sides, and stomach regardless of the mattress type. Any ideas?

I’m 6ft2” and about 215lbs. This is a king size if that matters.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

neogeo0823 posted:

I’m a side sleeper and I have the regular purple. It’s not quite good enough for me. Gonna switch to the new purple.

I think the old/first generation purple is just about perfect for back sleepers.

I used to be a back sleeper but now I’m not. I keep trying to sleep on my back.

If I sleep on my side for a week then my shoulders hurt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 27, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Little bit more than a year in on two twin T&N we put together for a king. Still very, very, happy. One is definately firmer than the other. It took us a while to notice this, but it was obvious they had some packaging differences at the beginning and were likely different production runs. Have been rotating them about quarterly. No soft spots or dips this far.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Uziel posted:

I’ve had a TempurPedic mattress for about 10-11 years now and I’m having some low back pain every morning now. For the holidays, I slept on an air mattress and felt instantly better. I’m not sure if this is my mattress degrading or what but I’m not sure what to do here. I sleep on back, sides, and stomach regardless of the mattress type. Any ideas?

I’m 6ft2” and about 215lbs. This is a king size if that matters.

Sorry for the late reply, this slipped right by me.

Hard to really pin down without knowing more. Is the back pain a relatively recent development? Is it something that goes away as your day goes on, or is it persistent? Do you feel it as you go to sleep, or does it greet you when you wake up?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just bought a mattress yesterday and I really wish I remembered this thread existed before I did. I’ve been getting all my advice from the Product Recommendations thread in PYF.

I ended up getting a Beautyrest hybrid and I’m pretty nervous about it.

I’m a little surprised to see so many positive reviews for Purple mattresses in this thread, considering the company has an F with the Better Business Bureau.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I. M. Gei posted:

I just bought a mattress yesterday and I really wish I remembered this thread existed before I did. I’ve been getting all my advice from the Product Recommendations thread in PYF.

I ended up getting a Beautyrest hybrid and I’m pretty nervous about it.

I’m a little surprised to see so many positive reviews for Purple mattresses in this thread, considering the company has an F with the Better Business Bureau.

What hybrid did you get? Beautyrest is a generally solid brand, so you should feel comfortable in your purchase.

I can't weigh in much on Purple; while we can sell them, I have no direct experience with the product or the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Speaking of hybrids, has anyone had any experience with Helix mattresses? Specifically the Helix Midnight Luxe hyrbid?

I'm mostly a side sleeper, with some lower back pain (especially in the morning) from a herniated lumbar disc, and MoreToLove™ if that matters.

I'm moving at the end of the month and want to use it as an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger, and more importantly, better mattress.