Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Do ya one better: get the gently caress over yourself. Every time I post anything in this thread and try to stir up any kind of conversation that isn't the latest Google Dick Sucking, you're always here to tell me to 'stop posting', as if I'm supposed to be intimidated. It would bother me more if you weren't such a loving tool.

I realize this is basically account suicide, but at this point, I really don't care. I literally just log into somethingawful to post in two threads and they're both poo poo.

:byewhore:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

I ordered a Pixel 3 XL from Google's BF sale. Excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread-recommended case for the Pixel 3 XL, since Diztronic doesn't make one?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a thread-recommended case for the Pixel 3 XL, since Diztronic doesn't make one?

Came to ask the exact same thing lol. I got the phone today from the $400 off black friday deal and it's great. I must protect precious phone.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
I ordered a Spigen Liquid Crystal TPU case for 8€. They're supposed to be good, I'll find out on Tuesday.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thanatosian posted:

Spigen is cool and good

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like my caseology Legion case but I'm also not very picky and I did get it for 1.50 so can't really complain anyways.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mu Zeta posted:

There's nothing about the new Pixel that will absolutely blow you away. It a nominal upgrade worth $600? Just use what you got for another year or two.

I'm thinking a few things: there's response lag on my display panel on my Pixel 2. I think it's a known defect, but regardless it's quite annoying. Also having a new battery and better screen overall, coupled with more mobile data and the fact that the deal overall is just outstanding value.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://twitter.com/essential/status/1065700233085153280

Come on $250 deal! I need to upgrade from my lg g4, my battery lasts like 3 hours.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

I'm on Project Fi, and in addition to the Pixel 3 phones being hella cheap today, they're throwing in a $200 statement credit.

If I like big phones, and don't mind shelling out the extra $100, is there any reason not to go with the 3 XL over the 3?

Where did you see this Project Fi deal?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mizaq posted:

Where did you see this Project Fi deal?

https://fi.google.com/account#buydevices

We have a Project Fi thread.

I pulled the trigger on the 3 XL, it was $700 before the $200 statement credit. The regular Pixel 3 is $600, and also comes with a $200 statement credit.

$100 Moto G6 and $150 Moto X4, too; I have an X4 and was going to order another one for my dad before I saw that Pixel deal. I've heard the LG phones are a good deal, too, but I'm not nearly as familiar with them.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Magic City Monday posted:

I ordered a Spigen Liquid Crystal TPU case for 8€. They're supposed to be good, I'll find out on Tuesday.
Thanks to the various posters here!

I'm coming out of the dark ages with a Lumia 640. Despite still preferring the Windows Phone/Mobile interface, the OS performance and reliability has been decreasing to barely tolerable for what I use it for in Vermont. When I was on a trip to Silicon Valley last month, it was drat near useless due to lack of app support (I had to yank out my laptop to loving Uber).

Being ambivalent about either Android or IOS, I've been using Black Friday deals to make my decision and purchased the Pixel 3 yesterday morning. I hopped in last night to see some talk about the Google charger deal at Best Buy and hopped on it, and now the case (although I went with the Tough Armor). It's me, I'm the idiot ad-hoc phone platform purchaser.

Any other recommendations for what an Android newbie should get before it arrives next week?

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

https://fi.google.com/account#buydevices

We have a Project Fi thread.

I pulled the trigger on the 3 XL, it was $700 before the $200 statement credit. The regular Pixel 3 is $600, and also comes with a $200 statement credit.

$100 Moto G6 and $150 Moto X4, too; I have an X4 and was going to order another one for my dad before I saw that Pixel deal. I've heard the LG phones are a good deal, too, but I'm not nearly as familiar with them.

Thank you, my wife is on Fi with the OG Pixel XL and she probably got an email (I didn't). I haven't been in the Fi thread in quite a while. I'm still chaffed that I ordered the Pixel XL half a day too late to get the Daydream for free and google said pound sand when I asked for an extension of the offer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mizaq posted:

Thank you, my wife is on Fi with the OG Pixel XL and she probably got an email (I didn't). I haven't been in the Fi thread in quite a while. I'm still chaffed that I ordered the Pixel XL half a day too late to get the Daydream for free and google said pound sand when I asked for an extension of the offer.
I've heard Verizon is running a similar deal, though they probably don't have the trade-in offer that Project Fi does.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

nimper posted:

Spigen is cool and good

Seconded. I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5T6DQ8/

It's cheap, gives some grip to the phone, and is thin enough not to add much in the way of bulk while still giving some protection from drops and such.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

I've heard Verizon is running a similar deal, though they probably don't have the trade-in offer that Project Fi does.

She's almost always on home wifi so we bailed on Verizon's high contract rates.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Thanks to the various posters here!

I'm coming out of the dark ages with a Lumia 640. Despite still preferring the Windows Phone/Mobile interface, the OS performance and reliability has been decreasing to barely tolerable for what I use it for in Vermont. When I was on a trip to Silicon Valley last month, it was drat near useless due to lack of app support (I had to yank out my laptop to loving Uber).

Being ambivalent about either Android or IOS, I've been using Black Friday deals to make my decision and purchased the Pixel 3 yesterday morning. I hopped in last night to see some talk about the Google charger deal at Best Buy and hopped on it, and now the case (although I went with the Tough Armor). It's me, I'm the idiot ad-hoc phone platform purchaser.

Any other recommendations for what an Android newbie should get before it arrives next week?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HF0YGCK/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Harminoff posted:

https://twitter.com/essential/status/1065700233085153280

Come on $250 deal! I need to upgrade from my lg g4, my battery lasts like 3 hours.

The news is that the last 5 employees stole the rest of the investor capital and moved to a non-extradition treaty country.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bought my Pixel 3, was going to the the Spigen Thin Fit case for it... But apparently they're not selling it here yet and Amazon don't want to make it easy for me to buy, any similar recommendations for a basic TPU case?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

VodeAndreas posted:

Bought my Pixel 3, was going to the the Spigen Thin Fit case for it... But apparently they're not selling it here yet and Amazon don't want to make it easy for me to buy, any similar recommendations for a basic TPU case?

I like my casemate https://case-mate.com/clear-tough-google-pixel3

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

redeyes posted:

In case anyone cares, the LG G7 which is on pretty good sales right now (~400) has one of the worst camera apps ever. It is mostly due to massive overexposure leading to blurring leading to noise reduced painty blotchy looking photos. As it turns out the Google Pixel Camera app can be loaded on the phone and if you look in the XDA forums, you can find the correct APK. My GOD does the pixel camera app look better. It actually makes the camera pretty good. So, the possibly one deal breaker is mostly fixable.

Yeah, I've been using the Pixel HDR+ camera since Android Police posted the article saying SD820+ SoC's could run it. So much better than the standard LG G6 camera app.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fellow non-Pixel lepers, how are you doing for updates? Got the August update now on my G5+, which then seemed to immediately "unlock" the October update. A month out isn't too bad.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
November 1st on my 6T.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FistEnergy posted:

November 1st on my 6T.

:yossame:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FistEnergy posted:

November 1st on my 6T.

:emptyquote:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/jc_ru/status/1065962060129931264
alleged Pixel 3 Lite (left) and Pixel 3

jc_ru posted:

For unknown to me reason they leak somewhere in Eastern Europe.

jc_ru posted:

I literally have no idea how it got in my hands

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ugh I want to get a new phone and I really like the idea of the Essential Phone but it seems plagued with issues.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
After months of hand wringing and comparing flagship to replace my battery plagued Nexus 6p, I finally settled on the Oneplus 6T. I love it! I probably would've loved any of the big time phones as long as the battery lasted longer than 1.5 hours, but still far everything has worked perfectly. Fingerprint is fast but face unlock works well too, camera is good enough for me and the 4k slow mo video is really cool. Still getting used to little differences in the OS but so far i really dig it. And i saved a bunch of cheddar.

Borrowed Ladder fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 25, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:waycool:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got my P20 pro today. My god the screen is nice coming from the pixel 2. I'll add more observations after a few days. The Huawei watch 2 is pretty nice especially as a free throw in

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Ugh I want to get a new phone and I really like the idea of the Essential Phone but it seems plagued with issues.

The Essential owns but it has a lot of touch issues I find, it's kinda finicky. Also the signal is garbo on T-Mobile.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf had very poor signal with hers as well up here in Canada, the worst of any phone we've brought into this house

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hmm, I'm Canadian so that's an issue. Plus I'm with Freedom so the signal is garbage anyway.

Mostly I want something I can buy outright as I have a grandfathered plan and don't want to change it ($39/mo unlimited everything. Unless you step outside of the Freedom zone.)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/universeice/status/1066522017447333888
by mid-2020 the average phone will be composed entirely of cameras

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So they're taking a page from the Light L16

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Out of the blue, my Pixel 2 started having an issue similar to the problem described here where probably the OLED broke and screen eventually went black and stopped responding. It's only 6 months old so I called Google support and did some troubleshooting and they gave me the option of an advanced exchange and put a hold on my credit card for $650, and I got a refurb replacement. They've had the broken phone a couple days now and I haven't heard anything, which I assume is probably because of Thanksgiving.. but I've read a bunch of Google support horror stories and now I'm worried they'll deny any warranty support and charge me full price for the replacement phone which I really can't afford and at the time I just assumed they were going to replace the phone for free so I took the option to get a replacement a lot faster. Anyone know how long the process takes? I've read that you often don't hear anything at all about what they decide to do until they charge you. Can you send the replacement back and/or get your original broken phone back to refund the charge if they deny the claim?

Phone's been in a hard case since day one, I went over the screen and there's no cracks at all in the glass or scratches on the back. It did get dropped once, two months ago but I've no issues until now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

We're only a few years away from being able to shoot bullet-time video on our phones.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I remember when the first iPad came out without a camera there was a joke photoshop of an 'iPad 2' just completely covered in cameras. It was super loving gross, like that patent image is super gross.

Holes :barf:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

This is the inevitable evolution of the modern smartphone :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now they need to make each lens blink and make every terrifying skittering sound from movies about giant spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vice President posted:

Out of the blue, my Pixel 2 started having an issue similar to the problem described here where probably the OLED broke and screen eventually went black and stopped responding. It's only 6 months old so I called Google support and did some troubleshooting and they gave me the option of an advanced exchange and put a hold on my credit card for $650, and I got a refurb replacement. They've had the broken phone a couple days now and I haven't heard anything, which I assume is probably because of Thanksgiving.. but I've read a bunch of Google support horror stories and now I'm worried they'll deny any warranty support and charge me full price for the replacement phone which I really can't afford and at the time I just assumed they were going to replace the phone for free so I took the option to get a replacement a lot faster. Anyone know how long the process takes? I've read that you often don't hear anything at all about what they decide to do until they charge you. Can you send the replacement back and/or get your original broken phone back to refund the charge if they deny the claim?

Phone's been in a hard case since day one, I went over the screen and there's no cracks at all in the glass or scratches on the back. It did get dropped once, two months ago but I've no issues until now.

Everything will be fine, I'm sure. Give it a week before worrying at least.