Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Stuff and Q are both legit awesome movies though.

Never said they weren't, but they are still both pretty silly movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Stuff and Q are both legit awesome movies though.

Lifeforce is awesome too :colbert:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

qirex posted:

Piranha Crow was awesome.

That and the Zelda "opening a treasure chest" music made me laugh so much during that episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I liked Lords of the Deep if only because most of the premise had the captain wanting to murder the entire crew. The atmosphere of that movie was weirdly oppressive but I guess that comes with the setting.

The song in Day that Time Ended is awesome, I love songs in MST3k

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Only through Mac & Me so far, the first half of that movie was just :stare:, but hilariously bad once it got rolling at the McD. I too want to see the movie that audio guy thought he was scoring.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cinemassacre did a review recently where they found that the answer is apparently Predator.

(Alan Silvestri scored both movies, and one of the themes is very similar, but major instead of minor, and with different instrumentation)

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 24, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Proteus Jones posted:

Lifeforce is awesome too :colbert:

We straight males (and other female-admirers) of a particular age range salute the makers of Lifeforce! :patriot:

Because the VHS box showed that the movie was about space shuttles and monsters and stuff, our parents assumed the R rating was just for the usual cheesy semi-gory sci-fi action. So they never suspected that Mathilda May's extensive nude scenes were even there, and they'd let us rent it from the video store over and over. (To this day I'm not entirely sure how the movie's plot wraps up. At the tender age of 15 I honestly did not care. I think I fast-forwarded through the ending once to make sure there weren't any more of the scenes I cared about.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'd love for them to do more terrible 70's disaster movies, which is probably most of them that aren't The Towering Inferno or the Poseidon Adventure.

Meteor has Sean Connery which should be good for some riffs. And of course Earthquake is in Sensaround!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Finished the Gauntlet.

I think the cast and the show overall are more consistent than last season. I don't think any of the six here are real clunker episodes, but none of them are what I'd call new all-time favorites that I want to watch again immediately either (like I did with several episodes last season). They all sort of feel like mid-tier stuff from the earlier seasons with more episodes.

If I had to rank them:

Ator - the show always (usually) does great with cheap swords and sorcery - Wizards of the Lost Kingdom last season I thought proved that without a doubt - and this is another notch on the belt.

Lords of the Deep - Classic cheese and great riffing (and this one had the only joke the whole season that I had to rewind because I was laughing so hard I missed what came after it).

Atlantic Rim - Terrible movie, but like Lords, the riffing elevates the experience and just had me laughing throughout the whole episode.

Mac and Me - A good episode but I'd already seen the movie unMSTed, and I think it loses a lot of the impact if you already know the tonal fuckery/insanity that's coming.

The Day Time Ended - This is another one of those movies that is just weird/gently goofy on its own even without the MST3K treatment but nothing about it really stood out to me (great "The Music Man" homage song though)

Killer Fish - MST3K works best when you have a bad film and great riffing. As numerous others pointed out, this is really not a bad film by any stretch, has actual name actors in it, and is just pretty dull with okay riffing to boot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bruteman posted:

If I had to rank them:

Here's mine.

1. Ator. Good old-fashioned cheese and great old-fashioned riffing. No riffs in particular stand out, but the overall average is really high.
2. Mac and Me. The movie is SO bizarre, but in a good way. And oh my god, Gypsy as The Grimace. THE GRIMACE.
3. The Day Time Ended. This one would have been at least a place or two lower if not for the musical number that was easily the best of the season.
4. Killer Fish. Probably the best / most watchable movie on its own terms. I liked the in-theater song, but just like the one last season in Starcrash, it kind of broke the illusion that the guys are seeing the movie for the first time too, and that they're just making everything up on the fly.
5. Lords of the Deep. Flick that was trying SO HARD to be high-concept sci-fi. I kind of feel guilty for ranking this one so low, since I enjoyed it a lot, which speaks well of the overall season.
6. Atlantic Rim. Some good fun riffs, but holy god the movie was just so joyless and uninspired. It was so obvious the people making it just didn't give a poo poo that the plot didn't make any sense. Making fun of it barely even seemed worth it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zesty posted:

Eh. I’m about the same and I can already tell they didn’t learn from the mistakes of last season.

Old MST3K didn’t feel like the characters were omniscient and setting up everything in advance. Jokes start before what’s being shown on screen that supposedly preceded it. Characters cooperate on a bit too quickly. Everything is so rapid fire.

I’m just not feeling it. It’s a little... too artificial.

I'm through Atlantic Rim, and I'm on this same page. It's good and I'm still watching and enjoying it, but I think the best way I can sum it up (seasons 11 and 12 both) is the riffing is at once too intense and too flat, as if they're shouting the lines on cue without being totally in earnest (the sound mix may be partly to blame for my perception of it as shouting, I admit).

So far it doesn't feel like the frequency is reduced very much, although I would say they are spaced out just enough more that they're not stepping on each other too often. But the voices also haven't really gotten any more differentiated. I can usually pick out Servo because Baron has a little more character to his voice than just Jonah's nerdy millennial vs. Crow's generic nasal.

It just doesn't feel like a few pals together going "pfff" and really scoffing at the movies - it feels like there's one person doing all the riffing and breathlessly trying to keep up as he moves from one line to the next.

I had similar trouble with early Rifftrax when it was just Mike, which is what this reminds me of. The riffing needs something more to break it up or else it seems monotonous at times.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 24, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I'd love for them to do more terrible 70's disaster movies, which is probably most of them that aren't The Towering Inferno or the Poseidon Adventure.

Honestly, I know both of those are considered good and Poseidon has a hell of a cast, but disaster movies really don't age well, and both of those are often hilariously bad to the point of riffability. I love Poseidon and I've seen it more times than I should have, but it's just so hard not to laugh at every scene. Some of it is just that it's so dated while being to so connected to everything. It's back when Leslie Nielson was doing serious work, but years of his comedies keep making you think he's going to tell them to stop calling him Shirley. You see Red Buttons and go "Oh yeah... him... how the hell was he ever a celebrity?" People are ripping their skirts off to climb a giant Christmas tree before the movie even gets off the ground. Jack Albertson is so iconically Grandpa Joe that you expect him to yell "You swindler!" at Gene Hackman after the Shelly Winters swimming mishap (hell, he almost does!). You spend the entire time wondering "Is that kid the voice of Linus from the old Charlie Brown specials?" (He's not, he's Linus's brother!) Every time I watch it, I'm expecting it, but when the kid yells "The hot steam is blocking our escape!" something about it just sums up how preposterous the characters' reactions are to their situations throughout the whole movie, and it sucks all the air out of Gene Hackman's dramatic monologue in which he yells at God for not supporting his one Big Idea about how God operates.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm finally on Ator, whose baby did they have to steal for the beginning of the movie

edit; I'm legit giggling through all these riffs, I love dumb fantasy schlock movies.

"Step one: put a hole in the box."

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 24, 2018

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Only made it to “Killer Fish” at this point, and even though I’m loving it so far, nothing to this point has topped “EARN THIS” from “Mac n Me.”

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"There's no justice in this world, Jack."
"BUT HER EMAILS"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Atlantic Rim was so jump cutty that I think it's the first movie since the reboot where the riffs couldn't keep up with the movie in terms of frequency.

Given the fact that Mac and Me was a better ripoff of a much better movie, I don't think they should do another bad on purpose movie unless there's some sincerity beyond one actor. Those movies don't need to be mocked because they're already almost mugging at the camera with a wink telling you that this is funny.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anyway, I still have to watch Ator, but I've seen the rest of the season. I rewatched the original Eegah! just before starting the Gauntlet, and I have to say - a lot of even my perception about how much the new show relies on "bits" sometimes more than riffs is just wrong. I think during the Mike era is may have been more true, but at least during the Joel era, they often seem to break into song like it was planned for a specific moment. The one during Killer Fish was admittedly a bit much, and speaking of which, M. Waverly and Growler joining the riffing sometimes is fine in theory, but it felt awkwardly handled this season. Gypsy's drop-ins were a little less distracting, because it seemed like she had something to do, and was just drive-by riffing - Growler always seems to start a conversation.

Overall the host segments and riffs are great, though, and in particular, I think the Max and Kinga stuff has vastly improved this season by not mentioning Max's unrequited love nearly as much. Rebecca Hanson is a treasure and I'm glad they're giving her more to do as Synthia than walk around like a robot. She's a perfect MST3K second banana in a way that's probably better than Patton, much though I love him as Max. The mustard gas bit was great. Jonah, Baron and Hampton have really gelled. I didn't have the issue with telling Jonah and Baron apart, but I do think they've better divided the riffs between the two of them to suit their delivery (not that it was a huge problem in season 11, I just think they've had some time to practice and hone it, and they're giving "Baron riffs" to Baron instead of "Servo riffs."). Hampton just gets Crow. The film selection for season 11 was probably a bit better than for season 12, but that was probably inevitable for a lot of reasons. I prefer the bonkers stuff like Mac and Me, Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic when they can get it.

I think it's nice that they were able to get Josh Weinstein back. If they can ever get a cameo from Frank, Trace & Mike, then they'll have gotten the complete collection! I never got the impression there was bad blood between Joel and anybody, it could happen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s no bad blood, but I think Mike just wants to keep doing his own thing for now. The same probably goes for Trace and Frank, though when I saw them live they did lightly rib the revival for having a Kickstarter campaign.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Finished the Gauntlet! Ator was really fun.

Overall, I feel like I have to rewatch the episodes to see if they stick, I know it took a few tries with some episodes in S11 (for example, Avalanche didn't stick out to me at first, but now it's probably one of my top favorites in MST3K fare). Mac and Me and Ator stick out to me immediately, Atlantic Rim was... A thing. Not good riffing material, but as a movie, I will remember how dumb it was and it'll give me a good chuckle.

I think Lords of the Deep and Killer Fish might grow on me while I truly do not know what on earth was going on in the Day That Time Ended.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am absolutely astonished that Atlantic Rim apparently cost half a million dollars to make. Are we sure Asylum isn’t some kind of money laundering scheme?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bruteman posted:

Lords of the Deep - Classic cheese and great riffing (and this one had the only joke the whole season that I had to rewind because I was laughing so hard I missed what came after it).
Which one was it? I remember liking Lords of the Deep well enough, but for some reason I can barely remember any of the riffs.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
One of my favourite things about Atlantic Rim is that when a pilot needs to get out of a bot, they're just out.

It makes me think they couldn't CG it without it looking noticeably worse than the rest of the movie, and they sure didn't want to build sets or anything.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 24, 2018

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Which one was it? I remember liking Lords of the Deep well enough, but for some reason I can barely remember any of the riffs.

Bruteman posted:

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo she's like God didn't finish making Michelle Pfeiffer

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm up to The Day Time Ended, and I'm just now noticing that the silhouettes might usually be still frames between riffs. I guess if they're miming to pre-recorded dialogue now, it makes sense that they're not sitting through silences, but that'd be a bit of a let down.

Do I have that right? Jonah in particular just looks suspiciously still.

edit: Definitely just saw Crow snap into place after "lemony chiffon" at around 17m50s.

ee: Here's a nit-pick, but with the good movie transfers now, the silhouettes often get lost in black areas whereas everything in the original show was low contrast and milky, so they always stood out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 24, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bicyclops posted:

If they can ever get a cameo from Frank, Trace & Mike, then they'll have gotten the complete collection! I never got the impression there was bad blood between Joel and anybody, it could happen.

Back in 2016, Rifftrax hosted an MST3K reunion, that featured Joel, the Mads, and was hosted by Jonah Ray. And then Rifftrax is selling downloadable copies of the new show. So it sounds like everybody is supportive of each other. But people are also busy and there's a lot going on.

I know Bill actually tweeted a year back or so about Joel, in response to a tweet he did a few years earlier. Basically, Shout brought back the Turkey Day marathon, and Bill was ambivalent about it because he hadn't gotten paid for MST3K in a long time. And then I guess in the interim, Joel got back control of MST3K, and made sure everyone got paid fairly. And Bill sent out a series of tweets that were like "Joel is really cool and great and did something really good for everyone."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Back in 2016, Rifftrax hosted an MST3K reunion, that featured Joel, the Mads, and was hosted by Jonah Ray. And then Rifftrax is selling downloadable copies of the new show. So it sounds like everybody is supportive of each other. But people are also busy and there's a lot going on.

I know Bill actually tweeted a year back or so about Joel, in response to a tweet he did a few years earlier. Basically, Shout brought back the Turkey Day marathon, and Bill was ambivalent about it because he hadn't gotten paid for MST3K in a long time. And then I guess in the interim, Joel got back control of MST3K, and made sure everyone got paid fairly. And Bill sent out a series of tweets that were like "Joel is really cool and great and did something really good for everyone."

There was that weird thing back when the 11th season was coming out where Lowtax was moaning on Twitter about the revival (you see, Felicia Day admitted to writing riffs that were references to VIDEO GAMES. That hack) and let something slip about how he was mad at Joel for screwing over Mike in some way. I always wondered if that had anything to do with Wizards of the Lost Kingdom quickly being pulled from Rifftrax and ending up on MST3K.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Day Time Ended made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gavok posted:

There was that weird thing back when the 11th season was coming out where Lowtax was moaning on Twitter about the revival (you see, Felicia Day admitted to writing riffs that were references to VIDEO GAMES. That hack) and let something slip about how he was mad at Joel for screwing over Mike in some way. I always wondered if that had anything to do with Wizards of the Lost Kingdom quickly being pulled from Rifftrax and ending up on MST3K.

It wasn't just that, there was that whole period where I think Frank (and to a lesser extent Trace) was rather disdainful about the revival, which IIRC he claimed was due to the original cast either not being asked to contribute or being told outright their services weren't needed, I forget which. I think things eventually managed to get smoothed out, though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bill released an episode of his podcast just the other day where him and Mary Jo touched on their feelings about the new show, and in short, these are human beings with emotions and relationships like everyone else and it's way more complicated than saying there is or isn't bad blood. Speaking at least for the two of them, there doesn't seem to be any personal animosity, but they also seem a little hurt that they weren't even given the option playing a more active role in the revival than what they did.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oh yeah, that was a good one. And it came right after I was wondering who the lead actress reminded me of.

I was also a fan of "Ryan Stiles, DSV."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Diabolik900 posted:

Bill released an episode of his podcast just the other day where him and Mary Jo touched on their feelings about the new show, and in short, these are human beings with emotions and relationships like everyone else and it's way more complicated than saying there is or isn't bad blood. Speaking at least for the two of them, there doesn't seem to be any personal animosity, but they also seem a little hurt that they weren't even given the option playing a more active role in the revival than what they did.

When Bill had Josh on his show, even then it seemed like there was still some... tension might even be too strong a term, but a lingering remnant of how Josh left and that was way before Bill's time even.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joel has admitted that he can be kind of controlling (which was why he left the show in the first place due to butting heads with Jim Mallon) so I wouldn't be surprised if the issues were how he kind of took over the whole revival on his own when other people felt it should have been collaborative. .

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

muscles like this! posted:

Joel has admitted that he can be kind of controlling (which was why he left the show in the first place due to butting heads with Jim Mallon) so I wouldn't be surprised if the issues were how he kind of took over the whole revival on his own when other people felt it should have been collaborative. .

I imagine he also wanted a clean start for the reboot. New cast, new set crew, new writing team.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I imagine he also wanted a clean start for the reboot. New cast, new set crew, new writing team.

Yeah, I can see that. I think Joel was looking to the future and the idea of having MST3K live on, which means a new crew would have to take over.

Plus, with anything like this, it's going to generate some tension. People may feel that they're being passed over, or they don't like the changes, or whatever. It doesn't matter if it's a TV show or a workplace or a band or a crime ring.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Cemetry Gator posted:

Back in 2016, Rifftrax hosted an MST3K reunion, that featured Joel, the Mads, and was hosted by Jonah Ray.

This is on Amazon Prime right now btw, I watched it the other day. It looked like they had a lot of fun making it

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
imo bridget and mj stole the show. that talking car short was pretty great too.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Atlantic Rim is just baffling. The plot holes are gaping chasms. They somehow appear and loose the mech suits instantly. Time and space have no meaning, nor does being drunk

The lead character is the biggest rear end in a top hat. He looks like a coked out porn ‘actor’ and I wouldn’t be surprised to find out if he was.

I was also surprised to see Graham Green , but I’m kind of glad he was in it.

Overall the movie was a huge pos, but it’s wasn’t as bad as I prepared for. I was expecting a slog, but at least time past quickly and I really liked the riffing

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'm going to take a shot every time i hear "on the horn"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm going to take a shot every time i hear "on the horn"

Oh, good it wasn’t just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Joel's original plan was to bring EVERYONE back. Two Hosts, two sets of bots, 6 Mads. But some turned it down, which made him go with the whole new cast.