Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's a shallow reading of Caesar. He wasn't really obsessed with the Romans, he just saw Rome as a useful framework since it was an empire forged from multiple tribes that became incredibly successful in a savage world. The irony is that Caesar lacks the vision to look beyond himself, because the culture he constructed can't survive past him. It'll just break down into civil war as the legates fight for the right to become the new Caesar - and without the constant expansion fueled by their military victories the constituent tribes will end up going their separate ways.

Caesar hints that he's been thinking about this in his dialog about how seizing New Vegas would mark a moment of existential change for the Legion from being the conquering military force that it currently was and into some more settled form of government and state. I mean, I agree he was probably wrong and couldn't have pulled it off, even if his untreated brain tumor didn't kill him first, but there was some reason to believe he was at least aware of the contradictions inherent in how the Legion was organized and was thinking about ways to square that particular circle.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

iirc doing that really broke with decorum at the time, like most successful military innovations. like at crecy where 5000 peasant longbows turned out to be unfairly effective at killing metal poshos on horses

Oh it absolutely did, I was just being flip. Greek martial custom was that the bravest/most veteran troops in a phalanx get the position of honor on the right because it's the most exposed, thus the greater honor for holding it. Epaminondas's genius in part lay in being able to shake off the long-standing tradition and innovate in ways that from the outside appear dead obvious, but required overcoming a great deal of cultural baggage for someone operating inside.

ShriekingMarxist posted:

it's rad how America fought a guerrilla insurgency against the superior British army and now 240 years later they've been utterly annihilated by one in the middle east for being adventurous war mongers :911:

The plucky minuteman/American guerilla concept is a big part of revolutionary mythology, to be honest. While yes both existed and played a role in the war for independence, the real heavy lifting was done by Continental and French regulars.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

bloom posted:

I feel old because I'd never heard of Fallout 76 and didn't know people were mad on the internet about it.

I just looked it up and Fallout 4 came out 3 years ago, and I never even played that.

tbh it's hard to believe it took 72 fallouts in the span of three years to make people get angry at the same rehashed gameplay

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
Sinistar. Make up your own mind.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hentai Jihadist posted:

iirc doing that really broke with decorum at the time, like most successful military innovations. like at crecy where 5000 peasant longbows turned out to be unfairly effective at killing metal poshos on horses

e: or in 2016 when the orange madman suggested his opponent should be locked up for her very actual crimes despite how posh she is

Longbows are great an all but instead of raising a whole generation of yeoman with hosed up spinal structure from using impractically large bows you can give a random bogan a crossbow that'll pierce full plate of your most inbred and esteemed nobility.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

wow fantasy abortions are brutal

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Longbows are great an all but instead of raising a whole generation of yeoman with hosed up spinal structure from using impractically large bows you can give a random bogan a crossbow that'll pierce full plate of your most inbred and esteemed nobility.

The English had a bunch of other advantages at Crecy like the weather favored longbows over crossbows because it was easier to keep the strings dry, and the terrain was favorable for defending against a cavalry charge. Really it just meant that noble cavalry could never be as tactically flexible as an infantry army, and not that longbows in particular were some kind of super weapon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's a shallow reading of Caesar. He wasn't really obsessed with the Romans, he just saw Rome as a useful framework since it was an empire forged from multiple tribes that became incredibly successful in a savage world. The irony is that Caesar lacks the vision to look beyond himself, because the culture he constructed can't survive past him. It'll just break down into civil war as the legates fight for the right to become the new Caesar - and without the constant expansion fueled by their military victories the constituent tribes will end up going their separate ways.

caesar is a pretty shallow person, all things considered

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yinlock posted:

caesar is a pretty shallow person, all things considered

but somehow he overcame that to produce Caesar II, the best city building game ever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The English had a bunch of other advantages at Crecy like the weather favored longbows over crossbows because it was easier to keep the strings dry, and the terrain was favorable for defending against a cavalry charge. Really it just meant that noble cavalry could never be as tactically flexible as an infantry army, and not that longbows in particular were some kind of super weapon.

according to some anglo historian's experiments I saw years ago, an english longbow couldn't reliably penetrate plate armor at any great range. most of the french knights who died at, say, Agincourt, were killed by daggers driven through the eye slits of their armor after the english infantry pulled them from the saddles of their mud-ensnared horses.

1994 Toyota Celica has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Nov 24, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Widespread adoption of crossbows* was impeded in 1139 by a papal ban on using them against Christians, which no didn't exactly stop people but did make embrace of the weapon less attractive and give the knightly class another reason to suppress it.

*Technically, the canton in question states "We prohibit under anathema that murderous art of crossbowmen and archers, which is hateful to God, to be employed against Christians and Catholics from now on," which includes other forms of bowmen but in practice only really got applied to crossbows.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

according to some anglo historian's experiments I saw years ago, an english longbow couldn't reliably penetrate plate armor at any great range. most of the french knights who died at, say, Agincourt, were killed by killed by daggers driven through the eye slits of their armor after the english infantry pulled them from the saddles of their mud-ensnared horses.

Yeah modern testing also shows that the real damage was most likely killing the horses which caused the french knights to be crushed and stunned which made them easy pickings for the english infantry.

Outlaw King on Netflix was pretty decent if you want to see another knights getting destroyed by filthy peasants.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Asscreed odyssey's historical inaccuracies are many as athens and Sparta had much more in common than not. The Spartan eugenics program hadn't really started yet, there military record was mixed, and their army was made up of just the normal bougie liesure class that made up every other city states army. Their big advantage was that they were good at diplomacy, hence why they were able to convince the Persians to help give them a functional navy

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i thought the BoS were always fascist?
They varied wildly even between the first 3 games.

In 1 they were very powerful and increasingly interventionist technologists who were alarmed by The Master after you explain the whole situation to them, and deploy Paladins to help out at Mariposa.

They were barely present in 2, having been attritioned over time, but actively give you a push towards working out the Enclave plot and are quite welcoming, even. They also have a fairly sad computer which posits that AIs might have caused the Great War.

In FT:BoS they were a completely different splinter Brotherhood of Steel that was interested in politics beyond just meeting its own material needs and guaranteeing control of technology.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"The Spartan heavies always take the position of honor on the exposed right flank, so while leaving enough to hold them I'll put my strongest forces opposite their left, which will be where the noob and cherries traditionally are to be found!" -Epaminondas, in a brainwave apparently no one had yet managed.

If you're talking about Leuctra, he actually did the exact opposite and concentrated all his best forces directly opposite the Spartans while instructing the rest of his army to fall back when the enemy advanced. Due to this he had a local superiority of about five to one and ended up killing over half of the Spartans. This of course led to the Spartans breaking under the assault, then the rest of the Peloponnesian army followed, and since Sparta had no real manpower reserves of its own they were pretty hosed in the long term.

Also Fallout stopped being good when it changed to 3D.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone have that open letter written by a noble who was absolutely incensed that a bunch of peasants hiding in a church managed to kill a knight? its like the precursor to being Definitely Not Mad Online

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

writing my post made me wiki crecy again and lol. turns out the english have been absolute shits from day one.

quote:

Edward led his army on a destructive chevauchée through Picardy, destroying hundreds of villages

I'm like, what is that? Is it some kind of sanitised phrase for "brutal terror attacks on civilians" that makes it sound like a fancy military maneuver.

Turns out yep, and it was practiced primarily by the english back in the 1300s against the french, thus the french name.
also found this bit at the end of the wiki description funny

quote:

The chevauchée was not used exclusively by the English; at times it was also employed by the French[when?].

sorry for the derail but the more i read about my demon cracker nation the more obvious it is that we've always been at the forefront of using violence and terror on civilians. its a national characteristic.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

according to some anglo historian's experiments I saw years ago, an english longbow couldn't reliably penetrate plate armor at any great range. most of the french knights who died at, say, Agincourt, were killed by daggers driven through the eye slits of their armor after the english infantry pulled them from the saddles of their mud-ensnared horses.

they outright killed the knights instead of ransoming them?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tricking demons is rad

the new gamer creed for bad games is "im having fun"

After playing through every STALKER game in various amount of mods and personal tweaks to make the game playable in certain places, those games were rad and very very bad.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm like, what is that? Is it some kind of sanitised phrase for "brutal terror attacks on civilians" that makes it sound like a fancy military maneuver.
Presumably in the back of Edward III's mind, as well as it being really obvious as a way to delegitimise his opponents' claims of doing a bang up job at being feudal overlords in lands he claimed, he was probably aware that the Mongols had done this to annihilate multiple European countries' armies by forcing them out of their castles and cities a hundred years before Crécy.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Also the French knights were being dumb and thought they were invulnerable because knights and kept doing dumbass piecemeal charges straight through the mud.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Caesar hints that he's been thinking about this in his dialog about how seizing New Vegas would mark a moment of existential change for the Legion from being the conquering military force that it currently was and into some more settled form of government and state.

Yeah I'd say he doesn't even hint at it he states it outright, if via flowery language. Whether or not he could have pulled it off is another matter of course.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Nov 24, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

Yeah I'd say he doesn't even hint at it he states it outright, if via flowery language.
Yeah it's one of the dumbest and most disbelief-shearing moments in the whole experience and comes hot on the tail of resolving the bit of the plot with any personal drive and the game just becoming a completely different thing entirely. F:NV's first part is really tight, the post Benny part is a flabby mess of overexplained A-level political philosophy and making the PC a messiah.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well presumably that's why a lot of people just shoot him.

It's still head and shoulders above Bethesda's villains. From F3 I don't even remember really (Enclave? Something about irradiating water?) and from F4 just kind of incomprehensible goals because you can't actually ask anyone a straight question about what they are doing. What is the institute's actual plan for the synths? No one knows. F76 "idk some kind of plague or something everyone is a scorcher now?"

Say what you will about the tenets of Caesar's Legion, at least it's an ethos.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspicious posted:

they outright killed the knights instead of ransoming them?

peasant infantrymen weren't the kind of guys to get to collect on ransoms, and they were deeply, deeply outnumbered, so no

plus towards the end of the battle King Henry ordered all the french they did take captive executed, aside from the very highest ranking captives (for him ransom). 200 English archers went through the prisoners slaughtering them, and though the English knights refused to participate in the massacre Henry's contemporaries seem to have regarded it as a sensible military precaution given the situation at that point in the day ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt#Henry_orders_the_killing_of_the_prisoners )

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

COMRADES posted:

It's still head and shoulders above Bethesda's villains. From F3 I don't even remember really (Enclave? Something about irradiating water?)

It's the Enclave reviving a dumber version of their plot from F2, this time using an FEV variant introduced to Project Purity to eradicate mutation in the wastelands via the only source of non-toxic/-irradiated water. Their AI states that Enclave personnel and vault dwellers should be immune to it, but he's wrong about enough else that he probably got that wrong too and if you decide to aid him the ending states the wastelands became a vast graveyard so it seems likely everyone just ends up dying regardless.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShriekingMarxist posted:

it's rad how America fought a guerrilla insurgency against the superior British army and now 240 years later they've been utterly annihilated by one in the middle east for being adventurous war mongers :911:

We've lost every war we've fought against an indigenous people since becoming an overseas colonial power which is pretty funny

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

It's still head and shoulders above Bethesda's villains. From F3 I don't even remember really (Enclave? Something about irradiating water?) and from F4 just kind of incomprehensible goals because you can't actually ask anyone a straight question about what they are doing. What is the institute's actual plan for the synths? No one knows. F76 "idk some kind of plague or something everyone is a scorcher now?"

Say what you will about the tenets of Caesar's Legion, at least it's an ethos.
Yeah for sure I just always felt like they never quite worked out how to not make that conversation sound like a powerpoint presentation while at the same time making him memorable as an antagonist.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

We've lost every war we've fought against an indigenous people since becoming an overseas colonial power which is pretty funny
Really? The US seems a lot bigger than the Pueblo Nations or Iroquois Confederacy, which it wasn't in 1783.

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Nov 25, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Yeah for sure I just always felt like they never quite worked out how to not make that conversation sound like a powerpoint presentation while at the same time making him memorable as an antagonist.

Caesar explains things like a presentation because he’s teaching it to you. From Caesar’s perspective you’re just a half literate country boob with no political education whatsoever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

We won the Philippine War. :mrwhite:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Caesar explains things like a presentation because he’s teaching it to you. From Caesar’s perspective you’re just a half literate country boob with no political education whatsoever.

And for most players he was partially right

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Siljmonster posted:

tricking demons is rad

The Witcher 3 is really good and the DLCs were great as well.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So who's gonna do the inevitable Liberal Crime Squad LP for CSPAM?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes but there is an irreconcilable chasm between the player being a half literate country boob who would find what he was talking about in very flowery language mostly very distant seeming and esoteric, and any player with an interest in politics where it seems condescending to have someone do a flash cards explanation of what a dialectic is.

Like it to me it partly undermines the narrative of the game that the apparently worldly wise Caesar, who has made this huge empire by explaining and imposing his political philosophy on people also can't talk about politics in a charismatic and accessible way and has a schoolmasterly manner about him even though him having a schoolmasterly manner makes sense in terms of him being a former member of the Followers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I dunno what you mean about flowery language, because Caesar talked about things as plainly as possible. he also didn’t really need charisma to be convincing because he had a godlike ability to fix firearms, and show tribals how to wage total war.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

So who's gonna do the inevitable Liberal Crime Squad LP for CSPAM?

shiiit

i forgot about that game

its one of my favourites, its much easier to pick up that dwarf fortress and it owns.
the unofficial patches add a lot but make it a lot harder too, in the original making your own newspaper to publish exposes you get from hacking basically wins the game

one of my favourite ways to play is with a very charismatic leader who has a very high Legal skill so they can defend themselves in court.
then you grind levels by doing minor crimes, writing about it in your lovely newsletter then when people arrest you making dramatic speeches that win your own case and hearts and minds
i think this kinda build also works for making disguises and infiltrating places

it has some trouble when the cops go mega fash though cause they just shoot you in the head instead of take you to trial

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/IBlvqmwB6NI

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

one of the LCS fan patches adds the white house and president but afaik you can only shoot him and nothing much happens. you cant kidnap and brainwash the president

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the classic revolutionary guitar squad is hilarious too. its so much less effective than deathsquads but just so funny to imagine, changing hearts and minds one by one out of a SWAT team as they just empty clips into your band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

look at all these punks who aren't true to caesar. degenerates. profligates.

retribution