Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Just remember that most of your customers are probably having a worse day/life than you.

This is what gets me through literally every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

I guess Vox can vouch for quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUWersr7pc

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 22, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

People who deal with big distributors like Sysco or US Foods, specifically yall who pay them after checking the delivery: how do you pay them?

I ask because we're training a guy on how to offload our twice a week Sysco truck, and he did just great checking the invoices and putting everything up for both our stores. Then what happens is the truck driver comes into our place, and while we're not open for another hour, we always offer to feed him. While he's happily munching his brisket and egg biscuit, the manager grabs our checkbook, writes up the check for the proper amount (might not be the same as the invoice, if they shorted or mispicked us on something) then we give him a check and he rolls off.

The guy we're training is 30 years old, and we had to teach him how to write a check. He had never done it before. God I feel old.

Are we absolute weirdos for paying deliveries by check? I wouldn't be surprised, as the owner refuses to get us in on direct deposit. But it got me thinking about how other stores pay for their deliveries. Are we dinosaurs, or is that industry standard. Just curious!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've never worked anywhere that paid Sysco at delivery unless they had stiffed them at some point in the past. Usually they were net 15.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Huh. Yeah we pay our big food trucks, our local produce guy, our Cintas, our... I don't know the word for this, the guy who brings us to-go boxes and cups and straws and stuff? I just know him as Ivan. All of them patiently stand by the door to wait for a manager to cut them a check on the spot, and they all get free biscuits or a cup of grits or something while they wait.

We got a FedEx delivery the other day and the MOD offered him food. Jeez, you'd think I was the second coming of Christ the way he thanked me for a making a simple fried chicken biscuit. Made my day. :kimchi:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

our... I don't know the word for this, the guy who brings us to-go boxes and cups and straws and stuff?

paper goods

and most owners i've worked for would cringe if they were told they had to pay on delivery instead of having some time to float

but they were not great business people

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Purveyors not offering terms is usually a bad sign... Either they've gotten stuffed by your company in the past or the owner isn't willing to guarantee their debt.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Well! Sounds like all the more reason to shop around for a new job, that doesn't seem very promising for my store's future.

I'm familiar with ordering on terms, back in the Paleolithic age when I was manager for a used CD shop, we also ordered new CDs and special orders for customers and had two distributors, one had 30 day terms and one had 60 day. We were always told to go thru the 60 day place if we could.

I honestly had no idea how ordering/paying worked in industry, so thanks for enlightening me, guys.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Every wonky place Ive worked paid by check. All the good places we just sign the invoice.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Please tell me the pain is worth it with Birkenstock’s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

virinvictus posted:

I thought the point of Birkenstocks was how comfortable they were?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Today my grill dude told me he looked for more bologna cut and portioned in the walk-in, but didn't see any. Our sister store does the meat slicing, so on my next break I walked over (we have to smoke behind their place, we don't have our own backside break area) and found the woman that does that. She had no idea and promised to get some done for us.

I came back and told grill guy, "Hey, I told Miss S about The Bologna Situation" and I guess I said it capitalized like that because our new guy dead panned with a look of shock on his face: "The Bologna Situation? That's the name of my punk band!" then finally cracked up. I like new guy.

So which of you poor souls has to work tomorrow, and who's, like me, enjoying one of the two days a year we close? I have no plans other than to get high, detail MY CAR (ew, I found a mayo packet in the console, so glad that never exploded from heat/freezing over a year), and maybe spend a little of y'all's hard-earned money on some takeout sushi, if I can find a place that's open.

I’m glad we could all pitch in to make everything a little bit better for you.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

virinvictus posted:

They do get comfortable eventually. Mine took a long time though and I honestly don't know if I'd do it again.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

okay, so years ago we put our menu on tripadvisor, as you do. we're historic and in the nation's capital, so why not.
some time later, tripadvisor decides to outsource their menu management to a service called singleplatform. updating the menu then requires reaching out to this third party we've never dealt with, but the changes aren't that big so we elect just not to worry about the hassle.
even more time later, we start getting carryout order calls for a couple items we'd discontinued a while back, and the folks placing the order start makin a real big stink. "well, i'm sorry, we update the menu periodically." at this point, i should clarify, we'd forgotten all about singleplatform, and just figured outdated togo menus were still stuck on a few fridges around town.
eventually, one of the order placers lets slip "but we already took their money!" and that's when some lights start to go on--i forget what exactly our bartender said, but it was something in the vein of "that sounds like your problem, not ours."
turns out that doordash or whoever it was had gotten that outdated menu from singleplatform and decided they were going to include us in their service, so we followed up with a shitload of phonecalls to tell them it's p lovely to make people opt out instead of opt in, and about a week later we were taken off the food delivery app.

(tangent note: they didn't even use our branding, they just threw together our name in some awful font, which REALLY ticked me off)

DoorDash is a freaking joke. Found out they were in my town, so I decided to place an order with my favorite Asian place. Tells me it will be an hour. (Like 65 minutes.)

So, I am not seeing any status changes on the site, but I live in a security building, so I go downstairs to be easy on the driver. An hour later (reading on my tablet to pass the time), and this is an hour AFTER the estimated delivery, nothing's happened. So I finally track down customer service, call them and wait to speak to someone.

I find out there's no driver within 30 miles, but they would be happy to request a new, fresh order from the restaurant. I declined, asking them "What good would a second order be if you can't tell me anything about the estimated delivery time? Nope, just cancel it." I felt bad doing this for the restaurant's sake, but I wasn't letting them sit on my money for another potential no-show. DoorDash refunded my money (yeah, they can take it right away but a minimum 5 days for a refund? Really?) and they gave me a $10 credit for the future which I am convinced will rot on the vine as it will be a cold day before I think of them again, if ever.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

virinvictus posted:

I almost exclusively wear Birkenstocks for work and not work. The trick is to break them in over the course of a week or so instead of just switching to them completely. I'd wear the new shoes for the first half of the shift and my old shoes to close. Also one of the other tricks with birks is to keep an eye on the bottoms, they can resole them almost endlessly as long as you don't wear through into the cork bed.

Re:doordash they did that same poo poo to us, posted an old menu, started taking peoples money, and not ever even notifying us that someone was ordering food from us until the driver showed up to pick up lunch for a 12 person city council meeting... I am not nice to talk to on the phone when I am mad.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Samizdata posted:

DoorDash is a freaking joke. Found out they were in my town, so I decided to place an order with my favorite Asian place. Tells me it will be an hour. (Like 65 minutes.)

So, I am not seeing any status changes on the site, but I live in a security building, so I go downstairs to be easy on the driver. An hour later (reading on my tablet to pass the time), and this is an hour AFTER the estimated delivery, nothing's happened. So I finally track down customer service, call them and wait to speak to someone.

I find out there's no driver within 30 miles, but they would be happy to request a new, fresh order from the restaurant. I declined, asking them "What good would a second order be if you can't tell me anything about the estimated delivery time? Nope, just cancel it." I felt bad doing this for the restaurant's sake, but I wasn't letting them sit on my money for another potential no-show. DoorDash refunded my money (yeah, they can take it right away but a minimum 5 days for a refund? Really?) and they gave me a $10 credit for the future which I am convinced will rot on the vine as it will be a cold day before I think of them again, if ever.

Don't feel bad for the restaurant, both DoorDash and UberEats pay as long as the restaurant actually accepted the order on their end.

gently caress Postmates, though. They've started trying to call orders in ahead, which would be fine if they employed people you could actually understand to do it. On top of that, they don't guarantee payment until their driver shows up, so I usually just hang up on them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Between this and other threads, I have gleaned that UberEats, DoorDash, and other such services are nothing but a nightmare for all parties involved. I strongly warned my GM about dealing with any of them.

Also, and I know y'all are probably sick to death of hearing about this, but can I just say how liberating it feels to be trawling CL for jobs, and NOT have to worry about if it's on the bus lines? Why, yes, fancy well-established restaurant 7 miles away looking for a line cook, that would probably pay me more than $9/hr, I will send you my resume! Ahhhhhh.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Between this and other threads, I have gleaned that UberEats, DoorDash, and other such services are nothing but a nightmare for all parties involved. I strongly warned my GM about dealing with any of them.

Also, and I know y'all are probably sick to death of hearing about this, but can I just say how liberating it feels to be trawling CL for jobs, and NOT have to worry about if it's on the bus lines? Why, yes, fancy well-established restaurant 7 miles away looking for a line cook, that would probably pay me more than $9/hr, I will send you my resume! Ahhhhhh.

Awesome, good luck on finding a much better gig!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Get the interview and kill it dude. <3

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've been considering the costs of getting licensed to be a native winery, and doing mead that only gets sold at farmers' market.

Not sure if there's enough of a market yet, so I'm working on my recipes first since mead takes so much lead time.

If you’re anywhere in the Southwest go to Superstition Meadery in Prescott and steal all their ideas.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Honestly, the delivery services that provide a tablet and have a web-based administrative backend aren't horrible AS LONG AS:
-Somebody at the store level has direct access to the web interface to keep the menu and pricing up-to-date
-You understand that they take a fairly significant commission (we list our menu prices 10% higher to compensate)
-There's a pretty consistent driver presence in your area, since it sucks to accept an order, make the food, and have it die in the bag for half an hour before it gets picked up
-You stop accepting orders 30 to 60 minutes before close, because otherwise at least once a week you'll have orders coming in at literally the last minute
-Your expo people don't suck, because fixing fuckups once they leave the building is a royal pain in the rear end
-You pick one or two. If they're not working out, fire them and get a different one or two, but it becomes nearly unmanageable when you work with too many of them.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I literally heard the phrase 'after three months probationary period we can pay you living wage' said by a person who didn't even pause to examine the words that came out of their mouth and I'm applying for 3 more marketing jobs tomorrow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Just stop eating for a few months, what's the big deal?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only one that isn't utter poo poo is EatStreet, which is still a VC-backed company, but based here in Madison, Wisconsin, and serving like 150-some markets. They actually pay their drivers decent wages.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

I literally heard the phrase 'after three months probationary period we can pay you living wage' said by a person who didn't even pause to examine the words that came out of their mouth and I'm applying for 3 more marketing jobs tomorrow.

Just rent out your beach house, what's the big deal

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Coasterphreak posted:

Honestly, the delivery services that provide a tablet and have a web-based administrative backend aren't horrible AS LONG AS:
-Somebody at the store level has direct access to the web interface to keep the menu and pricing up-to-date
-You understand that they take a fairly significant commission (we list our menu prices 10% higher to compensate)
-There's a pretty consistent driver presence in your area, since it sucks to accept an order, make the food, and have it die in the bag for half an hour before it gets picked up
-You stop accepting orders 30 to 60 minutes before close, because otherwise at least once a week you'll have orders coming in at literally the last minute
-Your expo people don't suck, because fixing fuckups once they leave the building is a royal pain in the rear end
-You pick one or two. If they're not working out, fire them and get a different one or two, but it becomes nearly unmanageable when you work with too many of them.

I really only hate them because packing up food to-go is a pain in the rear end and if you run out of something you will without fail get an order for it before you can mark it as out-of-stock. Also the UberEats "new order" jingle makes me want to throw the tablet in the deep fryer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

If there are any Fairmont/Accor hotels in your area, you can use me as a reference. PM for contact info. Iirc, you had a record? If it's past 5 years and not a violent crime, we disregard it.

Re: UberEats, etc. and togo orders:

Togo orders make money, so of course you should do togo. However, when you write your menu, think about packaging, etc. So you can minimize frustration and maximize profitability.

Unfortunately, most restauranteurs lack the ability to think, and that's why 80% of restaurants fail.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Save money by working all the time because you have nothing joyful to spend money on. Ive been fuckin around on bumble and i got asked what I like to do for fun. I drew a blank.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's depressing. Write a play.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ApolloSuna posted:

Save money by working all the time because you have nothing joyful to spend money on. Ive been fuckin around on bumble and i got asked what I like to do for fun. I drew a blank.

"You?" winkyface

JD, so glad to hear about that car, that's awesome. And for deliveries, yeah, 15-21 day terms is the standard in my area (hi from Canada), though some of my smaller local retailers (my bakery, my temeph guy, my ice guy) do CoD just because it's easier for them, and we're a cocktail bar so we always have enough cash around to just pull $60 or whatever out of the till.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I guess falling asleep is pretty fun

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
This seems like a fitting venue to rage post. Anybody finish Netflix's The Final Table? Anybody else notice Grant Achatz campaigning hard for his old friend from the French Laundry days to win? Completely ruined an otherwise fantastic show that he just stepped in and stole it for his buddy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Psychobabble posted:

This seems like a fitting venue to rage post. Anybody finish Netflix's The Final Table? Anybody else notice Grant Achatz campaigning hard for his old friend from the French Laundry days to win? Completely ruined an otherwise fantastic show that he just stepped in and stole it for his buddy.

If you stop watching stupid loving competition TV they will stop making it sooner or later.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you stop watching stupid loving competition TV they will stop making it sooner or later.

Yeah, I got super-pissed at my KM the other day when I found out she takes all those competition shows seriously. She made fun of me for being weepy and, admittedly, kinda dragging my feet the day I found out Tony Bordain took his life ("that's the coward's way out, I have no sympathy for him, or you"), but apparently follows these other celebrity chucklefucks like a fanboy.

I'm so over working for her. I love (most of) the rest of my crew, but I got resumes out for daaaaayyyys, and the next two days off to hoof around and talk to places in person. Wish me luck, guys.

Edit: oh, I meant to reply to CdC as well --- none of your affiliated properties in my area, but thanks so much for the offer of reference! That's dang sweet of you. :)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sounds like a wonderful human being, your KM. :stare:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bourdain was the only celebrity chef worth a drat. :colbert:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

how dare you sully the name of yan can cook

most of the 80s and 90s tv chefs rule for that matter

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Animal-Mother posted:

Julia Child was pretty great.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

In a perfect world, Mary Berry is my grandmas boozy best friend (since my real grandma is already great :3:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Sounds like a wonderful human being, your KM. :stare:

I generally don't discuss politics or religion at work, and don't want to drag them into this thread either, but she's an out lesbian that voted for Trump and still vehemently supports him. 'Nuff said about how cray-cray she is there.

She also loudly groused about when various states and Canadian provinces raised the min wage to $15/hr ("I used to make $5 an hour, and I never had debt!" Yeah, that was in the 70's, hon) and that's when I started getting seriously disgruntled. With that attitude, ain't no chance of me getting a raise, so yyyyyep, shopping around now that I got my Pilar back.