Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Kaep thing is actually a good example because while Nike has been willing to accept the praise that got them what they don’t say is they are basically just paying him the money they owe him from the contract he signed when he was playing. The fact they have someone made themselves look good while just honoring their contracts is impressive and a little terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Have fun trying to explain to chuds that china is in fact capitalist lmfao

When they even try for a single second to come up with a real argument, it's always telling how much they try to get faux outraged about and circlejerk around "The COMMUNIST(S) party" when they talk about china anyway, a bunch of them blatantly know they're wrong too, but they're just appealing to the even dumber shitheads in the stands for backup.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Kaep thing is actually a good example because while Nike has been willing to accept the praise that got them what they don’t say is they are basically just paying him the money they owe him from the contract he signed when he was playing. The fact they have someone made themselves look good while just honoring their contracts is impressive and a little terrifying

Huh, I actually didn't know that. Still, I think the general point stands that unless a revolution starts up, all we can do is keep fighting on all fronts and take the Ws as Ws rather than tacit defeats for not being complete or far-reaching enough.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 25, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Saberspark talks about El Arca, a Noah's Ark movie even more sacrilegious than that Aronofsky film.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wasn't it the case where Kaepernick actually signed the deal with Nike before he started kneeling during the anthem? I remembering seeing something about that, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed to be true.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He’s not wrong that companies have figured out looking kind of woke is a good business choice. They don’t actually have to be but if they pretend to they will get more wispy washy liberals on their side

But it isn't just corporations who do this. A little less than a week ago, Riot Games revealed their newest character for League of Legends was a lesbian, and the first thing I saw pointed out by people was, "Didn't it come out like a month before this that Riot was a hellhole of sexism and harassment?"

It happens on an individual level as well. In this year we had James Portnow of Extra Credits, and the lead of MidBoss, both of whom have voiced their disdain towards 'gamers', but were later exposed as being abusive and harassers. It's like beyond people being mad about Bruce Dern being in Star Wars 8, or advocate for the alt-right, there's people who have adopted progressive rhetoric as a way to shield or project their own abhorrent behavior.

With something like this journalist getting irate about Ubisoft not going forward with their censorship changes, though, it doesn't strike me as being along those lines. It seems more akin to the Diablo Immortal response, where people in games media are so incensed against any sort of opposition or negative reaction to something, they'll label those complaining as being 'entitled' or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress? what the hell was that, i am surprised they got away with that kinda stuff. espscialy if you a making religious cartoons for kids. i guess its because its originally from europe.

Max Wilco posted:

Wasn't it the case where Kaepernick actually signed the deal with Nike before he started kneeling during the anthem? I remembering seeing something about that, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed to be true.

But it isn't just corporations who do this. A little less than a week ago, Riot Games revealed their newest character for League of Legends was a lesbian, and the first thing I saw pointed out by people was, "Didn't it come out like a month before this that Riot was a hellhole of sexism and harassment?"

It happens on an individual level as well. In this year we had James Portnow of Extra Credits, and the lead of MidBoss, both of whom have voiced their disdain towards 'gamers', but were later exposed as being abusive and harassers. It's like beyond people being mad about Bruce Dern being in Star Wars 8, or advocate for the alt-right, there's people who have adopted progressive rhetoric as a way to shield or project their own abhorrent behavior.

With something like this journalist getting irate about Ubisoft not going forward with their censorship changes, though, it doesn't strike me as being along those lines. It seems more akin to the Diablo Immortal response, where people in games media are so incensed against any sort of opposition or negative reaction to something, they'll label those complaining as being 'entitled' or whatever.

yeah. it reminds me alot of the evangelicals on the right. scream about purity and morality while beating/cheating on your wife and aborting the abused mistresses love child. its just gross as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 25, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm filing a complaint with the un over how he pronounces māori

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

This guy sounds like an alien who was taught English by a 1990's text-to-speech program. Like, they know what inflection and emphasis are but don't quite know how to use them so they just scatter them randomly all over the sentence. :/

I'm sure they're very clever and insightful and everything but I think this is the first guy who's video's I can't watch coz I just cannot get over their voice. :/

Summoning Salt covers SMB3 Speedruns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktr9dYUumAs

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just really sad releasing your first lesbian character in your game decade-old game and expecting praise for it. Just makes it all the more transparent that you’re trying to cover your rear end in the most cynical way possible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but isn't capitalism showing that women/minorities as central roles in movies/games/etc help expand markets and poo poo and diversity sells plus its an easy moral victory and good PR for entertainment companies. so its pissing on the chuds entire system of belief.

Here's the thing, as a mixed-race POC that largely passes for white (or Maori - I live in NZ, and I've occasionally been asked what my Iwi or Hapu is), you also get well-meaning but annoying-as-gently caress woke white folk who then start checklisting what roles us POCs should be represented by. Case in point that lady that had a go at JK Rowling over a Korean woman being cast as a snake lady in The Calamities of Grumbledunk. It came off to me like she thought us yellows are a bunch of simps who can't speak up for our selves, incapable of any thought more complex than "ching chong bing bong ping pong," so we need a white saviour to explain to us what representation we're allowed and what needs to be off limits.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Here's the thing, as a mixed-race POC that largely passes for white (or Maori - I live in NZ, and I've occasionally been asked what my Iwi or Hapu is), you also get well-meaning but annoying-as-gently caress woke white folk who then start checklisting what roles us POCs should be represented by. Case in point that lady that had a go at JK Rowling over a Korean woman being cast as a snake lady in The Calamities of Grumbledunk. It came off to me like she thought us yellows are a bunch of simps who can't speak up for our selves, incapable of any thought more complex than "ching chong bing bong ping pong," so we need a white saviour to explain to us what representation we're allowed and what needs to be off limits.

So a white person having a go at another white person is talking down to nonwhite people?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

So a white person having a go at another white person is talking down to nonwhite people?

No, but a white person appointing themselves the spokesperson for non-whites and then having another go at another white person is patronising as gently caress.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As an Asian American it'd be pretty cool to not have Asian Actors be typecasted into bs roles.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Also, the role was for a character who, before this move, was the pet animal of a wizard Nazi

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Annointed posted:

As an Asian American it'd be pretty cool to not have Asian Actors be typecasted into bs roles.

Sure, you're preaching to the choir. What I found offensive about the tweet criticising Rowling (the Jen Moulton one found in the second set of tweets here) is that it reeks of being more about moral superiority more than anything else. It was hard not to notice that the person who made the tweet didn't even engage with Asian POCs who were expressing sentiments that ran counter to her own, like she wasn't interested in any sort of discussion about the character or the politics of the casting, but rather, to just browbeat someone and claim moral superiority.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SgtSteel91 posted:

Also, the role was for a character who, before this move, was the pet animal of a wizard Nazi

Well, container for part of his soul and thing that kept him alive during his moments of greatest weakness. Dude treated the Malfoys more like animals than Nagini.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pants Donkey posted:

Just really sad releasing your first lesbian character in your game decade-old game and expecting praise for it. Just makes it all the more transparent that you’re trying to cover your rear end in the most cynical way possible.

There's also the thing where Leona and Diana were one big pile of gay bait which I don't think ever got addressed or resolved in any meaningful way.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Vagabundo posted:

Sure, you're preaching to the choir. What I found offensive about the tweet criticising Rowling (the Jen Moulton one found in the second set of tweets here) is that it reeks of being more about moral superiority more than anything else. It was hard not to notice that the person who made the tweet didn't even engage with Asian POCs who were expressing sentiments that ran counter to her own, like she wasn't interested in any sort of discussion about the character or the politics of the casting, but rather, to just browbeat someone and claim moral superiority.

If the white person is saying the right thing, even if you speculate that it is for the wrong reasons, I don't see what you gain by arguing for them to stop?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah, the account from the person who designed Akali, was unceremoniously fired (not even invited to the wrap party) and then get to watch her take off thanks to a K-Pop video was pretty sad. And also Riot is apparently a trash-fire frat house to work at?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Biomute posted:

If the white person is saying the right thing, even if you speculate that it is for the wrong reasons, I don't see what you gain by arguing for them to stop?

Because they aren’t actually helping, they are just trying to get another head on the wall so people will pat them on the back for looking brave for making GBS threads out of there tower on some clown. Maybe they should actually talk to the people who are actually affected by the clowns gently caress ups.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 25, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Biomute posted:

on the whole it's far from the worst thing you can do, yea, but a white/cis/straight/male/whatever person jumping into a conversation about minority issues just to dunk can be annoying because it's just a sad fact that their contributions, even simple 'man gently caress you' ones, are taken more seriously by people watching, so then it could turn the conversation away from, in this case, 'here's PoC telling you how you can suck less' to just 'allies' trying to score public points.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Biomute posted:

In this hellworld, you've got to verify that they're misguided with good intentions rather than trying to score imaginary points for whatever reason only to jump ship and go nazi because [minority] didn't give me a cookie for calling Blizzard out on not putting any black people in Overwatch or whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let's wake up with Ian and have some wholesome* breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCeXHiS58-k

*may be processed cardboard box garbage

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean, I can see the issue of idiots and assholes putting in their oar, but on the other hand, I'm always seeing minority people saying for non-minorities to step up and do some of the calling out.

The cited tweet is this:
https://twitter.com/J_A_Moulton/status/1044898830444105728

I'm not even seeing what's so terrible about it. So, like, am I therefore not sufficiently woke to step up and help out? At what point do I understand enough to not look like I am angling for woke points and thus two steps away from going nazi?

I'd just kind of like to know at what point I'm not actively making things worse. Do I help, or leave literally everything to minorities, despite those minorities explicitly asking me to help?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's not particularly hard.

Centering and boosting minority viewpoints: good
Scoring sick owns that distract from the critiques of said minorities and center yourself as the burnmaster: bad

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

It's not particularly hard.

Centering and boosting minority viewpoints: good
Scoring sick owns that distract from the critiques of said minorities and center yourself as the burnmaster: bad

OK but like how is that tweet centering herself? She does a lovely attempt at a burn, sure, but like how is that anything more sinister?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

OK but like how is that tweet centering herself? She does a lovely attempt at a burn, sure, but like how is that anything more sinister?

Keep reading. She proceeds to dictate where and how representation should happen, and does not engage with a single POC she's supposedly advocating on behalf of. As soon as an actual Asian comes in to say "nah, it's cool," she moves on to another reply to earn some woke points.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I made the mistake of reading that tweet and the replies and it felt like a competition to see who could be the most offended of them all. To be fair to the point of discussion it did feel like most of the competitors were white folk.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Keep reading. She proceeds to dictate where and how representation should happen, and does not engage with a single POC she's supposedly advocating on behalf of. As soon as an actual Asian comes in to say "nah, it's cool," she moves on to another reply to earn some woke points.

I will have to take your word for it because I read a few replies and so far it is mostly white people going "SHE'S ALLOWED TO WRITE NON-DIVERSE THINGS!" and poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Well knowing that helps me solidify my opinion on her better. Here I was thinking she was just saying Rowling is an idiot because that's well deserved.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

In non-salty-white-people news, Trey the Explainer did a really thoroughly researched video about the Biblical Nephilim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpkp2vxX3I

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
JK Rowling really turned out to be awful didn't she

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fabricated posted:

JK Rowling really turned out to be awful didn't she

I think a lot of people had an unrealistic expectation of wokeness from a British Boomer/Gen Xer. Her attitudes seem pretty standard for her age.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Puppy Time posted:

I think a lot of people had an unrealistic expectation of wokeness from a British Boomer/Gen Xer. Her attitudes seem pretty standard for her age.

pretty much, we expected that someone who had the most base levels of 'maybe actual nazis are bad' morals in her books to have any actual sense of understanding and given her demographic that was a bit premature

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
As someone admittedly without much investment in Harry Potter, it seems like part of the problem is how she handles it. Instead of just admitting that she was a novice author who failed to make her books diverse, she wants to pretend that it was always secretly diverse and she was woke all along. Maybe if she had admitted that she didn't do a great job, she might have actually listened to people and FB 2 wouldn't have been a weird monkey's paw wish.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like all neoliberals she just puts on a face of being woke to hide the fact that she's actually a really poo poo person with really poo poo beliefs

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

pretty much, we expected that someone who had the most base levels of 'maybe actual nazis are bad' morals in her books to have any actual sense of understanding and given her demographic that was a bit premature

I mean nothing in her books really indicated she was an rear end in a top hat TERF, so there was some surprise.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

like all neoliberals she just puts on a face of being woke to hide the fact that she's actually a really poo poo person with really poo poo beliefs

"Hey guys, remember key character Bertha Buggerpunt, who appeared in all of one paragraph back in book 4 as a gawking bystander in the Ministry of Magic? She's, like, totally transgender, and I planned that from the first moment the series dawned into my head. Phew, that's another good day of smashing down the oppressive system. BTW Corbyn is an anti-semite monster and I hope Tony Blair finally puts the house in good order, toodles!"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
How can I verify someones race over the internet like you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I dunno man, people were saying Angry Joe was white and I think that is factually incorrect.