Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like boy akane, but as we saw with pigtail yuta in this ep, f!yuta is a good vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ranzear posted:

Found a companion image at least:

If Rikka is designed to be thicc as molasses, how does that translate to male Rikka? :thunk:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

girl yuta just looks like normal yuta with longer hair

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpazmasterX posted:

If Rikka is designed to be thicc as molasses, how does that translate to male Rikka? :thunk:
Hung like a motherfukkin stallion, and BEEFY.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

El Burbo posted:

girl yuta just looks like normal yuta with longer hair

She's borrowed original Rikka's miniskirt as well.

Edit: Found the artist.

https://twitter.com/myayoi62/status/1056631189581119489

Their Twitter feed is VERY NSFW.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 25, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I keep thinking about how Anti wanders between Rikka and Akane, and about how Yuuta is similar.

I really like the Rikka vs Akane theory and I think it'll pan out to a certain extent somehow in that she also identifies the central conflict of the show, just beating the monster of the week won't stop or solve their situation of their friend being messed up or trapped in a weird city with a floating circuit grid above it. Therefore I also think she's hacked her way in like Alex replaced the original Rikka program and created Yuta to help her friend Akane. (What a long shot, lol). I just think Yuta is very very similar to Anti and the other Kaiju in mannerisms.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Edit: Found the artist.

Their Twitter feed is VERY NSFW.

Ah, the kanji I learned earlier from the pamphlet cover came up again, but this way predates the episode, so it was off the cuff rule 63, nice.

And yeah, that art being SFW is the exception in that twitter feed. Holy cow...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1066464767328559104

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I thought that looked familiar, excellent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently Obari is mad at TRIGGER for not consulting or at least acknowledging him in the credits for all the shot-for-shot reference cuts they did in Gridman.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Apparently Obari is mad at TRIGGER for not consulting or at least acknowledging him in the credits for all the shot-for-shot reference cuts they did in Gridman.
It's not 'reference cuts,' but one specific sequence.

https://twitter.com/out_sall/status/1066668237931319297

Obari gets lifted from directly all the time for individual shots/poses, but when it's a specific sequence it goes a bit beyond that. Pure speculation but this does feel more like someone getting overeager with the references than anything malicious, though, since if you were trying to copy something I'd imagine your first port of call wouldn't be the most widely recognized and respected mecha action animator there's ever been.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Obari is prolific but a lot of the distinctly Obari poo poo recently in robot show has been, well Obari himself doing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Obari is prolific but a lot of the distinctly Obari poo poo recently in robot show has been, well Obari himself doing it.
To be fair, the obari pose specifically is in tons of stuff he hasn't worked on.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the obari pose specifically is in tons of stuff he hasn't worked on.

Yeah, I dont think he minds artists doing obari punches or the two handed sword stance but pretty much a cut by cut of an entire transformation and attack is probably too much for him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I dont think he minds artists doing obari punches or the two handed sword stance but pretty much a cut by cut of an entire transformation and attack is probably too much for him
If it was just 'the mech does the pose' or 'the mech does the attack' it'd be fine but everything is extremely similar, even the background. Like I said, it still reads to me as a storyboarder getting overexcited more than anything malicious, but hopefully Trigger apologizes and everyone just leaves it at that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

If it was just 'the mech does the pose' or 'the mech does the attack' it'd be fine but everything is extremely similar, even the background. Like I said, it still reads to me as a storyboarder getting overexcited more than anything malicious, but hopefully Trigger apologizes and everyone just leaves it at that.

Isn't that exactly what CNM just said?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds like, once you cut out some show-specific fluff cuts, even the timing of the transformation and the finishing move is identical between Gridman and the sequences it's copying here, right down to a frame-by-frame basis.

It does seem more likely to be an overeager homage than something deliberately malicious. Asking around the Sakuga blog it sounds like Obari is (or at least was) on good terms with people on Gridman's staff, so yeah hopefully they can make amends more gracefully than not. Show's been good, I'd hate for something like this to leave a stink over it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't that exactly what CNM just said?
Yes, this is what's called 'agreement.'

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Next we'll have the guy responsible for the Akira motorcycle slide get all bent out of shape

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Obari is generally extremely cool about people using really blatant references to his iconic poses and stuff, so saying he's getting "bent out of shape" because someone yanked an entire animation sequence from him seems mean spirited.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a bit more complicated than your standard abuse metaphor, though, because this is literally Akane's fantasy world. This whole show is taking place inside her head. What she's saying isn't just about Rikka, it's about the world she felt the need to create for herself. Makes you wonder if the NPCs self-actualising and developing their own lives without her is just a manifestation of her apocalyptic self-loathing. How much of Rikka is Akane?

I feel like Rikka's based off a real person who used to be Akane's friend and hates her now, or something.

Where can I get this, because I need it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 25, 2018

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, that's a prototype, unless Goodsmile rushes production the real deal won't be out until late 2019. Now, if you want the prototype, good luck on that, you'd have to steal it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A card in the rest of the images says next June.

That preview was only two days ago, for reference.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yes, this is what's called 'agreement.'

On the internet?

Is that even allowed?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel like Rikka's based off a real person who used to be Akane's friend and hates her now, or something.

Where can I get this, because I need it.

Correction - who Akane thinks hates her. There's strong odds on the finale revealing that the real Rikka is still visiting the hospital and still misses her friend.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, something I keep thinking about is the possibility and extent to which Akane doesn't actually know what the gently caress she's talking about.

Like, what if she didn't actually create anyone in the simulation or wire them up to love her, and somebody else did, and Akane just assumes she did it because it's so convenient for her and because she can't remember anything else. Things are getting clearer, but there's still a lot of room for character reads to change based on what things like the nature of the world and Alexis' whole deal turn out to be.

Really like how this show is pacing out its mysteries.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is :tinfoil: but is the only time that Rikka expresses attraction to Akane in the audio drama?

:tinfoil: What if that is the "real world" people talking, and the show is the cyberspace versions?!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

This is :tinfoil: but is the only time that Rikka expresses attraction to Akane in the audio drama?

:tinfoil: What if that is the "real world" people talking, and the show is the cyberspace versions?!

Our Rikka has consistently been fascinated with Akane. The more likely option is that the real-world Rikka didn't swing that way, and Akane took her rejection poorly.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PV for episode 9.

09 Reverie

The kaiju that appeared in town is just floating around, doing nothing particular. In order to reclaim the perfect world she envisioned, Akane interferes with the time dimension of Yuta and his friends. With no access to Gridman, Yuta and his friends are left alone to face their biggest crisis.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Idle thought I can't fully back up right now but am kind of intrigued by:

What if Rikka is actually the one running the simulation/is actually 'God'? I'm not quite yet sure how the logistics would work out - maybe, if we assume that this whole thing is meant to be some kind of therapy for Akane, it was decided to entrust the sim to her best friend? - but with how early they did the reveal about Akane I wouldn't be shocked if it's some sort of head-fake, and the thematic implications of Rikka actually being the one with all the power this whole time are...interesting.

I mean, obviously Akane has some power now, but what if that's only due to Alexis subverting how the sim is supposed to work? Or even if it's something Rikka is allowing to happen for some reason - possibly for Akane's own good?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 27, 2018

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I know this is slightly off topic, but what are some similar shows to this (both anime and live action are fine) I want to explore this sort of show more.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

numerrik posted:

I know this is slightly off topic, but what are some similar shows to this (both anime and live action are fine) I want to explore this sort of show more.

Similar in what respects? If it's the robot/kaiju part then your cup runneth over my friend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

numerrik posted:

Depends which particular bits you like - Trigger's alumni are all about blending together their favourite parts from other works. The main influence in aesthetics and directorial style is Neon Genesis Evangelion, which the director worked as a junior animator on, although that's got a considerably less cheery blend of giant monsters and psychological dysfunction.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

numerrik posted:

Big O

:hai:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Big O's a good one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Big O's probably the best answer actually, both in the robot/kaiju sense and the mystery sense.

Also lol at eva being the main aesthetic influence and not the original gridman and other toku stuff.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I wanted to mention the similarities to Big O for a while, but it's the recent episodes and mystery of the setting that hammered it home.

Memories, fog, monster-of-the-week ... yeah.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah kinda like this and big o, which I have seen all of

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Considering how much the show cribs from him you might wanna check out something directed by Obari. I semi-recently watched Gravion and it was pretty cool, though the mysteries in it are more about specific individuals than the world at large, and it's very fanservicey if that's something that bothers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Big O's probably the best answer actually, both in the robot/kaiju sense and the mystery sense.

Also lol at eva being the main aesthetic influence and not the original gridman and other toku stuff.

I mean, those were Eva's parents too, and it was the show that added most of the surreal psychological thriller/warped coming-of-age story elements that SSSSG draws upon so heavily to the toku formula, and set much of the template for how SSSSG adapts the look and feel of kaiju battles from live action to animation. This show may be adapted from Gridman, but it's assembled using NGE's toolkit (plus a decent dose from the Brave Series).