Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

So at like 10 bucks the game is worth it for the story?

Wandering around a ruined town and listening to the tales of everyone that died there is worth at least $10

Building your camp into something special is also worth $10

Looting, crafting, and screaming at the heavens for some screws, springs, adhesive and dropping hundreds of steel scraps at a time because you don't need more of it is also worth $10

Dicking around the countryside looking for goofy things to do with some goons, friends, random people you met in the session who are 200 levels higher than you who protect your level 6 character is again worth $10

Cryptid hunting is probably worth $10.99

Pitching in during Scorched Earth by tickling the Scorchbeat Queen and getting loot that's 40 levels higher than you is worth the price of admission

No matter what you're playing 76 for, odds are it's worth $10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

J-Spot posted:

Nothing since this post which was right after launch. They seem to be ghosting us. Even Pete Hines has mysteriously disappeared from Twitter.

cause no matter how we coax them, they stay right there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

Bad luck and having low perception makes VATS like to you.

But for real, what's up? I've had that happen multiple times. The same bug that sometimes results in regular shots not registering?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

But for real, what's up? I've had that happen multiple times. The same bug that sometimes results in regular shots not registering?

It is honestly being low level and having low perception. VATS hit chance is a big lie. I have 15 perception now and never miss when VATS is at 70% but when I was a low level with low perception I was lucky to hit anything ever.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rinkles posted:

Let me put it a different way:

What's your Perception, Luck, and gun related perk load out? Combat is rather Morrowind-ish in that enemies get a dice roll to evade your shots.

Alternatively, the connection to the server is having issues. Please try using your gun during a less server-intensive time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

It is honestly being low level and having low perception. VATS hit chance is a big lie. I have 15 perception now and never miss when VATS is at 70% but when I was a low level with low perception I was lucky to hit anything ever.

Idk, sometimes 95% does behave like 95%.

Also that would be asinine

Father Wendigo posted:

Let me put it a different way:

What's your Perception, Luck, and gun related perk load out? Combat is rather Morrowind-ish in that enemies get a dice roll to evade your shots.

Are you joking or are there new mechanics they never explain?

Perception's 3 I think, Luck is 1, only gun related perk is 2 levels of Gunslinger.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Fallout76: Getting bored and going for a walk in the countryside simulator 2018. Now with added mothman.

Does seem to scratch that same exploration itch for me, but certainly not worth the release price just for that. Kinda gone off the whole crafting thing as well, especially how painful it can be to get some components (screws are the latest one - you don't get them from disassembling weapons anymore).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Are you joking or are there new mechanics they never explain?
I haven't shot any guns yet (punches only) but there seem to be all kinds of new or tweaked mechanics that they never explain and are never made apparent, so it wouldn't surprise me

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

... OR you're getting good rolls from the AI.

Regarding the second half, do you know where you are?

Rinkles posted:

Perception's 3 I think, Luck is 1, only gun related perk is 2 levels of Gunslinger.
I'm not. Your stats are still Vault Baby level. Fundamentally changing VATS like they did but forgetting to alter the HUD to reflect the changes would just be par for the course in 76 currently. Especially with how half-assed the VATS system is right now.

P.S. - Pump your Luck

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

... OR you're getting good rolls from the AI.

Regarding the second half, do you know where you are?

I'm not. Your stats are still Vault Baby level. Fundamentally changing VATS like they did but forgetting to alter the HUD to reflect the changes would just be par for the course in 76 currently. Especially with how half-assed the VATS system is right now.

P.S. - Pump your Luck

Don't mean to hound you, but is this your speculation or do you have harder proof that they changed how VATS works? Because I'd just as likely ascribe it to the general wonkiness of the release.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Don't mean to hound you, but is this your speculation or do you have harder proof that they changed how VATS works? Because I'd just as likely ascribe it to the general wonkiness of the release.

I'm going by what people are saying about the system as it works now, and trying to eyeball an explanation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feeling very vindicated about not buying this game tbh.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The real time vats system was a good compromise for multiplayer and I use it all the time. It's very good for hitting fast moving targets or using something like a sniper rifle at close range.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
By next week it'll be down to $20.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Am I crazy to think the game as a whole's performance has taken a dive now that everyone has unlimited dupes and carry weight? Last week I was getting a cool 100 - 140 fps indoors on ultra, and now it's barely 30. Outdoors in the wide open I still get 100+, but indoors it tanks. It's extremely noticeable when I'm in an area with lots of loot boxes such as lockers or a bunker. Changing all graphics settings to low doesn't fix anything, so it makes me think it's server-side.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Fallout 76?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OwlFancier posted:

Feeling very vindicated about not buying this game tbh.
Yeah it has been extremely difficult for me to not buy a Fallout game but I don’t feel like i am missing much.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Fallout 76?

In my vagina?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Prophecy120 posted:

Am I crazy to think the game as a whole's performance has taken a dive now that everyone has unlimited dupes and carry weight? Last week I was getting a cool 100 - 140 fps indoors on ultra, and now it's barely 30. Outdoors in the wide open I still get 100+, but indoors it tanks. It's extremely noticeable when I'm in an area with lots of loot boxes such as lockers or a bunker. Changing all graphics settings to low doesn't fix anything, so it makes me think it's server-side.

I doubt cheating is really widespread away. More like you are getting overlapped events making the engine angry. And yea, that maybe is triggered by people more spread out.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vinylshadow posted:

Wandering around a ruined town and listening to the tales of everyone that died there is worth at least $10

Building your camp into something special is also worth $10

Looting, crafting, and screaming at the heavens for some screws, springs, adhesive and dropping hundreds of steel scraps at a time because you don't need more of it is also worth $10

Dicking around the countryside looking for goofy things to do with some goons, friends, random people you met in the session who are 200 levels higher than you who protect your level 6 character is again worth $10

Cryptid hunting is probably worth $10.99

Pitching in during Scorched Earth by tickling the Scorchbeat Queen and getting loot that's 40 levels higher than you is worth the price of admission

No matter what you're playing 76 for, odds are it's worth $10

"i lost 60$ in the wasteland and all i got was this game"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Perception plays a huge part in gun accuracy period. It would not surprise me if the game is rolling the "to hit" twice in VATS. Once for VATS and once for general accuarcy.

One of the biggest complaints people have is guns are very inaccurate. Well yeah at low perception they miss a ton. I have 15 and can hip fire and hit most things at a decent distance.

Edit: If you need a list of PS4 goons to play with we have one on the Discord.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 25, 2018

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

It's more likely than you think!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magmarashi posted:

We don't have any goddamn Lehrer, or The Champs, or Fats Domino. The Big Bopper, B. B. King, Ray Charles, Little Richie, Hank Williams The Original, CHUCK BERRY, MILES DAVIS, THE PENGUINS, THE COASTERS. loving JOHNNY CASH. PATSY CLINE. DALE HAWKINS.

BUT WE GOT THE loving ONGO BONGO RACIST loving SONG AGAIN

Also one Beach Boys song.

For some ungodly reason.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Also one Beach Boys song.

For some ungodly reason.

marketing is the only reason because the song is an utter sore thumb mismatch for the rest of the soundtrack

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I was optimistic about the game and played in most of the PC beta sessions but I'm at level 30 something and I've just hit a wall. The Enclave questline is literally just event grinding and I'm pretty sure I'm done. I had a good time with the quests I did but group interaction is not a replacement for the majority of quest content their other games had.

Gameplay exists in this game as a means to get slightly better gear to help you grind for more gear. The content they have planned for the other vaults, based off the game files, are just group dungeons that you can buy in the Atom Store. That's just more of the same.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

corn in the bible posted:

cause no matter how we coax them, they stay right there

The game's got things like the atom bomb,
so I think I'll stay where I am ahm

God I hate that song.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

I was optimistic about the game and played in most of the PC beta sessions but I'm at level 30 something and I've just hit a wall. The Enclave questline is literally just event grinding and I'm pretty sure I'm done. I had a good time with the quests I did but group interaction is not a replacement for the majority of quest content their other games had.

Gameplay exists in this game as a means to get slightly better gear to help you grind for more gear. The content they have planned for the other vaults, based off the game files, are just group dungeons that you can buy in the Atom Store. That's just more of the same.

They’re going to make it so the actual group content in end game is a purchasable micro from the cosmetics store? :psyduck:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Emerson Cod posted:

The content they have planned for the other vaults, based off the game files, are just group dungeons that you can buy in the Atom Store. That's just more of the same.

Group dungeons? That you have to buy? :shepface:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
God trash talking this poo poo heap game owns.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

First Fallout game I’ve played, I like it. I’m not a fan of the single player Fallout, but the coop makes it worth it for me.

The engine feels like garbage though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just got an email from fanatical advertising this for 67% off lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

By next week it'll be down to $20.

guess that's not a bad price just for more Fallout areas to explore and shoot stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this is my favorite. i get a zero damage critical strike (blood splatter included).

https://i.imgur.com/tbuCiRi.mp4

here's an invisible protectron punching me

https://i.imgur.com/De1VP3I.mp4

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

Welcome to Games As A Service.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

bug chaser chaser posted:

First Fallout game I’ve played, I like it. I’m not a fan of the single player Fallout, but the coop makes it worth it for me.

Please seek medical attention

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

bug chaser chaser posted:

If you can take the downgrade and are willing to get some quality of life mods, Fallout New Vegas is the true game to play

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rinkles posted:

this is my favorite. i get a zero damage critical strike (blood splatter included).
https://i.imgur.com/tbuCiRi.mp4

Jeezus Christ, that animation. I mean, in Fallout 4, ferals at least looked scary, they would charge at you screaming and fling themselves at you and fall on the floor. This guy looks like a 65 year old with constipation trying to do a Latin dance after half an hour of lessons.

It's like the theme of 76 is "the same as Fallout 4, except we made a lot of stuff worse".

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Frog Act posted:

I just got an email from fanatical advertising this for 67% off lol

Nah it's Fallout 4 that's 67% off (same game anyway lol)

Fanatical doesn't even sell 76 at the moment and probably never will unless it gets a Steam release.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-76-pc-aus-nz-cd-key

64% off for us Aussies and I am still not buying.

25 ish USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

holy crap

less than two weeks after release and it's two thirds off. If I'd bought this for full price I'd be pissed. I mean, mainly because I'd have bought a terrible game, but this just piles on a little more 'gently caress you'