Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fridge next to the bed for hot summer nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Kudos eco warrior man!! After today's climate change report we all need to do our part to combat global warming.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

other than the wall unit not being rated for outdoor use, if you were very concerned about compressor theft it's not the dumbest thing ever.

The wall unit also has the controls on it, or at least the receiver for the remote so that's a mild added difficulty to using it that way

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Personally taking on the burden of global warming.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Either the fridge or the extra fan make this true comedy gold, but I haven't decided yet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ruflux posted:

The wall unit also has the controls on it, or at least the receiver for the remote so that's a mild added difficulty to using it that way

Pretty sure they're all RF these days.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:stonk:

:stonklol:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing that the area beyond that door used to be part of a different unit and this was how they decided to combine them?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Walking that fine line between crappy construction and homicidal man-traps.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That looks less like a line and more like a chasm.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Crappy construction tale I dealt with yesterday.

The shitter got clogged(by my wife) and while I was plunging it out noticed water coming out from under the toilet itself.
I figured maybe the wax ring broke down somehow so after running to home depot and removing the toilet I find the remains of this completely unnecessary mounting flange held into the sub floor by what looked to be drywall screws all gunked up with plumbers putty like icing on a poo poo cake.
I removed it and scraped all the hardened putty off and used the new bolts that came with the new synthetic wax ring I got directly to the still pefectly functional cast iron flange.
It took me longer to empty the water out of the toilet and clean up the mess afterwards than it did to fix the problem properly in the first place.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

You'd be surprised how common that is in terraced housing in the UK, when the width of the property is too thin to accommodate a full landing step it's usually two corner steps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ooh that reminds me of a great one. My old boss had a cottage up in the countryside he had renovated, it was a tiny 2 bed, the 2nd bedroom accessed through the first with a shower room downstairs you had to access through the kitchen so he got creative. The new staircase went up the middle of the property, with one bedroom either side, behind/above the staircase he put a new bathroom. It was accessed by one door from either bedroom, as he planned on renting it out he needed a way of locking and unlocking both doors from either end, so when you went in and locked your door no one joined you from the other door, and when you unlocked your door you didn't leave the other door locked.

He accomplished this with a series of iron rods across the ceiling, bell cranks and brass levers. You could only lock the door from inside and either lever locked both doors. Great until his wife got stuck in there one day and couldn't get out for 4 hours. Last I heard he'd just fitted 2 normal door locks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This looks like a problem begging for alternating tread stairs (in your house).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's a fairly common set-up in post-war Phila. rowhomes. Although usually there's a wall, and a doorway at the landing on the near side.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thumposaurus posted:

Crappy construction tale I dealt with yesterday.

The shitter got clogged(by my wife) and while I was plunging it out noticed water coming out from under the toilet itself.
I figured maybe the wax ring broke down somehow so after running to home depot and removing the toilet I find the remains of this completely unnecessary mounting flange held into the sub floor by what looked to be drywall screws all gunked up with plumbers putty like icing on a poo poo cake.
I removed it and scraped all the hardened putty off and used the new bolts that came with the new synthetic wax ring I got directly to the still pefectly functional cast iron flange.
It took me longer to empty the water out of the toilet and clean up the mess afterwards than it did to fix the problem properly in the first place.

Reminds me of the crap toilet my parents had in their condo basement for a while. Apparently the floor sloped slightly, so instead of fixing it by re-pouring the floor, the builders raised the toilet to level by layering caulk down until the whole pedestal was aligned by spirit level. Toilet worked great, but in order to remove it for future maintenance, one would have to hammer it out of 3/4 - 1 1/2" of caulk.

I think they eventually got it fixed, but only because they're retired and refuse to do anything traditionally fun, so they funnel all their retirement money into condo renos instead of vacations :unsmith:

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 26, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Aren't all toilets crap toilets?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Aren't all toilets crap toilets?

Not urinals

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Are urinals toilets?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Queen Combat posted:

Are urinals toilets?

Anything can be a toilet.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Are urinals toilets?

They can't both not be sandwiches.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I moved out of my previous rental share house because whichever dying boomer had lived in it before had "fixed" a failed wax ring by just piling mortar around it instead of replacing it. This meant that every time the toilet was backed up even slightly, the level in the bend was lifted above the top of the mortar and dirty water flowed onto the floor.

The owners declined to get it fixed because the quoted repair cost of just over one week's rent for the house (~$350 USD) was apparently too much.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You'd be surprised.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Queen Combat posted:

Are urinals toilets?
They're a pizza.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

joats posted:

But do you tip the attendant?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

joats posted:

Depends on how much you want to waffle stomp really.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

terrenblade posted:

But do you tip the attendant?

Life hack: Eat a couple of quarters so you aren't embarrassed about forgetting to tip attendants that clean your poo poo out of random objects within arms reach. Like inside the automated soap dispenser.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

joats posted:

Life hack: Eat a couple of quarters so you aren't embarrassed about forgetting to tip attendants that clean your poo poo out of random objects within arms reach. Like inside the automated soap dispenser.

These results depend heavily on your SHAT and FART scores.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some good construction stuff in here. Safety!

https://imgur.com/gallery/MsLR0Wz

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Literal war crime right there.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

why would you post this

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

:yeshaha:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It's not that bad

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I'm the person who stands there for at least a minute longer than necessary, kicking at the corner and wondering why it won't budge.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hnngh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Some good construction stuff in here. Safety!

https://imgur.com/gallery/MsLR0Wz

Gotta give him credit for determination cause imagine how he got there in the first place, I'd make it maybe a quarter of the way at most before saying okay, this ain't workin', full stop.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the smoke alarm at the top of my stairs was bad. They took "top of the stairs" literally and centered it over the edge of the top step. One foot back would have been just fine guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This owns