Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

How exactly did they wind up loving this up again?

They put Roman Reigns against the hardcore fan's superhero, the face of the Hulk Hogan Redemption Tour, Triple H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

VJeff posted:

Roman Reigns went back to being Roman Reigns

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

people really wanted to hate Vince and the leukemia survivor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For one week they booked him the way they should have been doing, and the next week they went straight back to the same old poo poo that had seen him getting booed for months beforehand.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

People cheered Vince getting his rear end beat the same way they chant You Suck when Kurt comes out.

Nobody was actually ever excited for Roman. It was just excitement for something that reminded them of a much better time.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Sad on its own terms obviously. But is another one of Meltzer's old friends likely passing away too:

https://twitter.com/Fgbrisco/status/1066034438360961024

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He was in assisted living for neck and spine issues but I wasn’t aware he was ill

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1066096110417137664

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

He was in assisted living for neck and spine issues but I wasn’t aware he was ill

He was hospitalized about a year ago. I'm not sure if it ever came out what the issue was but it was very serious and I don't think he ever fully recovered.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1066463089275527170

Awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Garrett trying to explain AEW's potential management conflicts by quoting Kanye West to Dave basically justified whatever they're paying him alone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave and Garrett ranking the Rocky movies in order of quality was also a good listen :)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would like a slice of life podcast between them where they just talk about dave's weird non-wrestling interests and old timey journalists

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
unless it happened in a part i haven't listened to yet i was pleasantly surprised that dave did not bury his family's thanksgiving

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Dave and Garrett ranking the Rocky movies in order of quality was also a good listen :)

Disappointed in Garrett severely under-ranking Rocky Balboa

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big fan of his ranking for Rocky V though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unless it happened in a part i haven't listened to yet i was pleasantly surprised that dave did not bury his family's thanksgiving

This but the opposite.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Finally the return of salty Dave watching b-league MMA.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1066544722854866944

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, if you’re gonna air a PPV is dead commercial during a PPV, they picked they correct one

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/mattfarmer93/status/1066646116052041729

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
You can probably say this every week but this upcoming retro Nitro feels like a particularly wretched episode, goddamn.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Pacific Rim interview with Barbara Goodish is really sweet. It's not at all a hard hitting interview but there's a fun story (Brody being the one to discover Ribera Steakhouse) to the fact that Brody discussed not wanting to go to the WWF and job for Hogan with her and other stuff. It's a complete mess technically and in terms of people talking over each other but it's very, very sweet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They were talking about the book on Brody she co-wrote with Larry Matysik on WOL today, has anyone read it and is it any good? It sounded pretty interesting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I read it 10 or so years ago, I remember liking the Matysik parts more than the Barbara Goodish parts.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Observe this, brother.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1066938754781388800

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Expect more Garrett Gonzales shows in the future:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1067126756081979392

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Garrett is better in nearly every conceivable way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At first I was like "who the hell is this not Bryan" but Garret has grown on me a lot, yeah.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

flashy_mcflash posted:

i'm glad Garrett's going to be doing more shows but i'm going to miss those awkward moments between Dave and Bryan. Garrett shows just don't give you those nearly minute long stretches of dead air while a barely audible Dave digs around for something or mumbles to himself.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

flashy_mcflash posted:

I find Bryan to be much more entertaining and it ain't the co-hosts knowledge and analysis I listen to WOR for, it's Dave's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a big fat bunny posted:

i'm glad Garrett's going to be doing more shows but i'm going to miss those awkward moments between Dave and Bryan. Garrett shows just don't give you those nearly minute long stretches of dead air while a barely audible Dave digs around for something or mumbles to himself.

You are getting the same amount of those per week!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I find Bryan to be much more entertaining and it ain't the co-hosts knowledge and analysis I listen to WOR for, it's Dave's.

I agree. I don't think the co-hosts knowledge is extremely key or anything but Garrett gets more interesting stuff out of Dave (i.e the Rocky stuff) because he appears to be a functional human who is at least aware of the world outside wrestling and MMA.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

a big fat bunny posted:

Garrett shows just don't give you those nearly minute long stretches of dead air while a barely audible Dave digs around for something or mumbles to himself.

A great one of those happened recently when literally the first thing you heard on WOR was papers rustling.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

MassRafTer posted:

You are getting the same amount of those per week!

i know that, but more Dave shows themselves means Dave won't have to try and talk about everything under the sun while Bryan desperately tries to speed through it all.

Incessant Excess posted:

A great one of those happened recently when literally the first thing you heard on WOR was papers rustling.

There's been a few Great Moments in WOR Podcasting recently. Can't wait for that end of year list.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Of all the co-hosts that could possibly replace Bryan, Garrett is pretty good. I don't really care enough about him to want his opinions just yet, and while his Kayne explanation was amusing he's not quite there with me yet. Same with the Rocky movie reviews but since Dave actually chimed in on that one I was more into it.

He wasn't watching the clock with Bryan does though. Garret might actually end up giving us Sin Limetes because Dave starts rolling and he's so interested that suddenly we've gone past the two hour mark and Dave has only gotten to the 1960s in his history roller derby tangent.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Hows it going everybody? Bryan Alvarez, Dave Meltzer here, Wrestling Observer Radio, it is November 26 2018, Figure Four Online dot com slash Wrestling Observer dot com. We got a lot to get into here today. Dave, what’s going on?

*COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH* scuse me *COUGH* i gotta *COUGH COUGH* gotta cough

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As the Sin Limite's showed, even Semperveve was a good co host with Dave, telling me that Dave is just an interesting guy to listen too, and sometimes a person less familiar with him brings out more from him than the very familiar Bryan, who seems to go out of his way to avoid triggering Dave tangents when he can.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dave and Bryan always have a weird energy to me, like they're one wrong comment away from a fist fight. I know they're not but its something about how Bryan can only yell and how frustrated he gets when Dave breaks and stops recognizing hyperbole. I just get really tense everytime there is some variation of Bryan saying "He was killed out there" when someone doesn't get over and Dave just talks about how the man is still alive and no one actually died.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the Bryan and Dave dynamic is fantastic to listen to. Garrett's fine and I don't mind hearing him and Dave do shows, but I'm glad it's not cutting into Bryan/Dave time.

Also bring back Sin Limite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Also bring back Sin Limite!

please god