Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Graham is too pure for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
That was aggressively acceptable on pretty much all fronts. Like Demons it didn't really need aliens but they weren't offensively bad.

Harlock posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trin Tragula posted:

SMH if it takes you less than 24 hours to get over Alan Cumming putting in one of the all-time best-ever scenery-chewings

It was so (beautifully) hammy that back in the 1970s, Brian Blessed paused while rampaging through a set to bellow,"I AM NOT THE LAST OF MY KIND, THERE SHALL BE ANOTHER!" :allears:

Harlock posted:

Seriously, he's been great. I also enjoyed Ryan as King James' would-be George Villiers. Yaz still gets the short end of the stick in some ways, though she at least got to go off and do her own stuff rather than stand around asking the Doctor audience stand-in questions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That was fine. I agree that the Doctor was a little self-righteous at the end, but you have to remember that she's bound to hold authority figures more accountable for their actions. Maybe she'll go back and give Winston Churchill and earful.

Alan Cumming didn't just chew the scenery, he licked it while he was chewing, and bit off whole pieces of it and swallowed. The material was definitely elevated by the guest star this episode, he's just a joy to watch. I'd be interested to see Joy Wilkinson write again, though. It actually takes talent to turn something that has been a joke since Monty Python and the Holy Grail[//i] and remind people that, no, this was actually quite horrible.

Not sure what next week's will be like. As far as I can tell, Ed Hime's sole writing credits are two episodes of [i]Skins
so I don't know anything about him! Norwegian horror with a vaguely spooky name I'm on board with.

Only two episodes left until New Year's. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

With regard to companions getting the short end of the stick, it is tough when there's a crowded TARDIS and it's not serialized anymore. I think they're doing a decent job, but they sort of trade off whether Ryan or Yas is going to be Zeppo of the episode. Even when Graham is just kind of twiddling his thumbs, he's fun to watch, which helps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Just make a pure historical god drat it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

what was the last pure historical btw? does the crimson horror count since the monster was technically not an alien?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crusader posted:

what was the last pure historical btw? does the crimson horror count since the monster was technically not an alien?

Nah, Crimson Horror doesn't count. The last pure historical was that Fifth Doctor two-parter I can't remember the name of, and before that, it was the Second Doctor. It's really only a part of the first six years of Doctor Who.

e: which is not to say they shouldn't make more of them, it's just that the historicals are so old that you can't even watch half of them because they were wiped from the archives.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 26, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

When the aliens revealed themselves every one just stood there whilst the aliens explained who they were and what their plans were. Then knocked everyone out.
Then round the fire the doctor explained who the aliens were and what their plans were.
Then at the tree the aliens explained their plan again to the king.

Just pretend they were giving their campaign speeches at a series of rallies.

Stabbatical posted:

I assumed that, had Alan Cummings's King James not burned her, she would have lived, or at least The Doctor thought so. The Morax would have left her body and it could've been written off as a possession or some such to be never spoken of again. It shows a complete lack of grasp of a (for The Doctor) fantastically old fashioned mindset. Even Becka, the person infected by the Morax Queen, thought she was possessed by Satan's powers. She's a somewhat tragic figure killed by something beyond her comprehension, aiming to fix her problem in an inhumane way allowed for by the politics of the time. Like last week, I think, the more I reflect on it, the worse it gets.

The other corpses seemed to be as intact as they were before being filled with Morax, so that's quite possible. It's also possible that by burning that body, James killed the Morax Queen as well as Becka. I assume that this Doctor would be upset at both.

Bicyclops posted:

Nah, Crimson Horror doesn't count. The last pure historical was that Fifth Doctor two-parter I can't remember the name of, and before that, it was the Second Doctor. It's really only a part of the first six years of Doctor Who.

e: which is not to say they shouldn't make more of them, it's just that the historicals are so old that you can't even watch half of them because they were wiped from the archives.

Black Orchid.

The historicals have a kind of mixed record. Black Orchid isn't great and has some cringeworthy elements. The Reign of Terror is the only Who story I found so boring that I couldn't finish watching it. And I'm not sure the tone of The Romans or The Gunfighters is what most people have in mind for historicals.

Given the show's turn towards humanity as monstrous, it's in a good spot to go for a pure historical.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Gunfighters and The Romans is weirdly the direction they'd probably go these days, with purely farcical interactions. It's hard to imagine them doing something like Marco Polo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rosa is soooo close to being a pure historical. The main thing that separates it from something like Black Orchid is the fact that the time travellers arrived in two different groups. The bad dude isn't using his future tech to help in his interference. There are no supernatural implications beyond the non-interference of time travel. In that respect it's quite a bit like many of the early classic historicals - just this time there is disagreement on it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I missed the Children in Need Special but it's incredibly sweet :shobon:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was probably Jodie Whittaker's strongest episode yet- I'm not sure if it was produced as late in the season as it aired, and thus she's more comfortable with the role now, or if it's just a better showcase. She had some great moments (her reaction to "Apple bobbing!" was very Tennant) and this feels like the first time they confidently poke at the idea that, yeah, the Doctor wasn't always a woman and hasn't had to put up with sexism.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scenery-chewing is one of the joys of Doctor Who, you can go full panto with the right part. My all-time favourite (who isn't Brian Blessed) is Iain Cuthbertson in The Ribos Operation, ably fed by Nigel Plaskitt as his offsider. It's practically Shakespearean, and the scenes with Tom are a study in competitive props-eating contests.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Crusader posted:

Technically Blake Orchid, although that's a strange one.

The previous historicals were the Doctor travelling to an historically important event, and/or meeting historically important people. Blake Orchid is just the Doctor going to a 1920s garden party which doesn't feature anyone of importance, nor is an important event - just him chilling, and engaging in a weird family drama that doesn't really resolve itself too well.

The last "traditional" pure historical was The Highlanders - the one that introduced Jamie during Two's run. And the last historical audio was October 2017's The Behemoth

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Between Rosa, Demons, and Witchfinders being almost-historicals, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a pure one next year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, he's been great. I also enjoyed Ryan as King James' would-be George Villiers. Yaz still gets the short end of the stick in some ways, though she at least got to go off and do her own stuff rather than stand around asking the Doctor audience stand-in questions.

I like to imagine Ryan thought about being the King’s consort for all of, oh, 3 seconds. I also feel like the King didn’t wander around the country on his own (ok, one protector), but would have had more of an entourage.

Yaz got to do family liaison, which is a proper ‘learned at Hendon’ actual Police skill.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

This was probably Jodie Whittaker's strongest episode yet- I'm not sure if it was produced as late in the season as it aired, and thus she's more comfortable with the role now, or if it's just a better showcase. She had some great moments (her reaction to "Apple bobbing!" was very Tennant) and this feels like the first time they confidently poke at the idea that, yeah, the Doctor wasn't always a woman and hasn't had to put up with sexism.

I hate that I keep bringing this up, but this time it's interesting: the scripts were all at least initially written with nobody but Chibnall knowing the Doctor was going to be a woman. I really want to see what the early drafts of this one were like, because I think Whittaker's presence and performance, as well as being a woman, absolutely makes this episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rose is getting her own series, courtesy of Big Finish:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/billie-piper-reprises-rose-tyler

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Given how much direction RTD is apparently giving Big Finish on that set, I really wish they could get him to just write the stories himself :shobon:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A lot of my usual these sorts of programs are doing witch hunts at the moment. It's a neat theme and I can see why it's popping up now. Had a good month of this sort of thing.

Sending a Disney Fairy Godmother to Hell was the highlight so far though. Along with a unicorn, Also Legends of Tomorrow is the best. They do good witch hunt episodes. With John Constantine they are even better. And I guess AHS Coven and Apocalypse, and Constantine itself. e: also he knife fought a nun and got shot by another and possessed by a demon and that was the same episode and the second part just carried on from there because the second nun stabbed the serpent from the garden of evil to death and man that guy was busy

Also Sabrina and Hill House and all that sort of thing. Even Flash and Arrow and Supergirl recently.

It's always aliens and time travelers apparently. And Satan and Antichrists and crap Satanic churches that turn out to be the Illuminati.

It's a theme you can get a lot out of. Just needed Eric Idle to shout More Witches and that would be every single one I can think of

McDragon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 26, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How many times did 13 say it wasn't Satan or Witches that episode.

That's the most any Doctor has had to repeat themself, drat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

"Rise of the Cybermen" is currently on Drama and I forgot how funny Trigger was when he was full-on chewing the scenery.

SKIN

OF METAL!

and a body that will never age or die

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Narsham posted:

The other corpses seemed to be as intact as they were before being filled with Morax, so that's quite possible. It's also possible that by burning that body, James killed the Morax Queen as well as Becka. I assume that this Doctor would be upset at both.

Now it's been a day (and a hangover later), I think I was making way too much hay out of that bit at the end to be honest. It's basically the same character moment that happens in The Woman Who Fell to Earth and Arachnids in the UK. The main threat has been resolved and someone who has been powerless so far against the threat chooses to stick the boot in after it's justifiable or needed. Karl kicks Tim Shaw off of the crane after his DNA-bombs have backfired, Robertson shoots the spider when it's already dying from its size, and King James tries to "burn the witch" after it's clear that the Morax is being driven away. I guess that's a recurring theme in this series.

In that scene, James' flaw is a lack of curiosity about the occurring events beyond the superficial details. It looks like witchcraft and magic so it must be, despite him being told by a clearly knowledgable person that it isn't. He 'knows' how to deal with magic; purify, burn, and (dare I say) exterminate it. While he says he wants to know the mysteries of existence, he doesn't take any time to reflect or consider that he may not know anything more than the gist of what's going on. Given The Doctor's skills and knowledge of the details of James' own life, he doesn't even think to consider a corollary explanation about her, for example her being some kind of emissary from God or some such. He can believe in tangible ambassadors of Satan and evil, but not in anything good and worthy beyond himself and the way he would do things. Compare that to Willa, who is equally if not even more so scientifically ignorant, but actually has an attitude that (despite being intimidated by the force and power of the Morax and of the King) allows her to trust in others and not rush to destructive stock actions. In retrospect, I'm happier with that part of the ending even acknowledging that it basically goes to pot the moment the Morax Queen shows up.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

SKIN

OF METAL!

Doesn't Trigger also do the voice of the Cyber Controller in that one? That's such a good touch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

SKIN

OF METAL!

And how will you tell them... from BEYOND THE GRAVE?!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

And how will you tell them... from BEYOND THE GRAVE?!

The guy not understanding what that expression meant was one of the strangest things of the RTD run

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

That's the most any Doctor has had to repeat themself, drat.

13: If I was still a bloke they'd let me get on with it without having to defend myself constantly :mad:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

ewe2 posted:

Scenery-chewing is one of the joys of Doctor Who, you can go full panto with the right part. My all-time favourite (who isn't Brian Blessed) is Iain Cuthbertson in The Ribos Operation, ably fed by Nigel Plaskitt as his offsider. It's practically Shakespearean, and the scenes with Tom are a study in competitive props-eating contests.

Don't forget Paul Seed as the Graff! One my favourite scenery chewing performances in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTokiPr9Vo

Sholaaaak! SHOLAAAAAAAAAK! TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE! TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! CHAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Given how much direction RTD is apparently giving Big Finish on that set, I really wish they could get him to just write the stories himself :shobon:

He's said in the past writing for audio is a whole new discipline that he doesn't have the time to learn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's very reasonable but has he considered that I, me personally, would really like him to?

The_Doctor posted:

Yaz got to do family liaison, which is a proper ‘learned at Hendon’ actual Police skill.

This isn't something I hadn't considered and that is pretty cool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Stabbatical posted:

Karl kicks Tim Shaw off of the crane after his DNA-bombs have backfired, Robertson shoots the spider when it's already dying from its size, and King James tries to "burn the witch" after it's clear that the Morax is being driven away. I guess that's a recurring theme in this series.

I like that all of the instances of this have been, while the same result, for totally different reasons. Karl attacks Tim Shaw mostly out of self-defense. With Robertson he genuinely doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to kill the giant spider, it's more bravado than any legitimate reasoning. And with King James it's ingrained beliefs (both religious and sexist) leading to him refusing to acknowledge any other option.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why am I hearing of terribly mixed audience reviews of season 11? I had thought that Whittaker was doing a great job.
And there's rumors of Chibnall and Whittaker getting axed!?

:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone got a scarf for Christmas, and she’s showing it off at her New Year bash.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grouchio posted:

Why am I hearing of terribly mixed audience reviews of season 11? I had thought that Whittaker was doing a great job.

The rumours I read where about them being unhappy with production / the BBC and threatening to quit, rather than the BBC being unhappy with them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Grouchio posted:

The cast has been great, the writing and plots themselves less so, to varying degrees.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

McDragon posted:

Also Legends of Tomorrow is the best.

CW's Legends of Tomorrow became decent the moment the writers realized how stupid it was to take their first season seriously in which they had to find serious reasons for their team to act dumb. Once they accepted this and deliberately wrote the show as being about a timeship of losers who know they're losers, it started to become something magical.

Torchwood had the same problem, and almost from the beginning, I argued that it worked best to think of Torchwood 3 (Cardiff) as the department no one took seriously at Torchwood 1 (Canary Wharf). The setup even unintentionally played into this with Torchwood 3's original sole responsibility being storage for alien objects, property of late members, and temporary holding cells for alien criminals.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Grouchio posted:

The cast is good, but there's only been one 'good' episode and one 'fine' episode so far. The writing is full of clunky exposition and characters constantly describe what you're actually watching, which is frustrating. The editing is not great, and overall everything feels quite flat and unremarkable.

The series is basically the essence of Chibnall; generally ranging from bad to workmanlike, with a few good ideas and moments sprinkled in.

Edit - actually Rosa wasn't bad either, so I'd put it at two 'fine' and one 'good'

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Someone got a scarf for Christmas, and she’s showing it off at her New Year bash.

It’s like the Davison and Bakers’ costumes had a transporter accident but the resulting monstrosity was allowed to live :eyepop:

:getin:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Grouchio posted:

Those rumors are totally baseless. Especially because Whittaker's been a really successful Doctor ratings-wise. I think they're mostly just shared around by people who wanted another white dude as the Doctor.

And I think one thing that's throwing longstanding fans off that you might not always see is that we're used to an overarching narrative that isn't really there. All through the revival Who seasons have had tangible things to grab on to as a through-line; all of the many Bad Wolves. A lot of those weren't very good, and even Moffat seemed to be easing off on them with Capaldi's run, but this is the first time there really just isn't one. That means every episode's stood more or less by itself (and I think they do just fine with that personally), but we've been trained to expect its presence, and the fact it's not there means a lot of people don't really know how to handle that.

I don't think that's the only reason, but I think that does factor in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

This costume is queer culture.