Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Johnny Aztec posted:

I used to have that, but for some reason it stopped working with iOS?

It was so useful :(

iOS 12.1 here, working just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It’s only worked for me on like 1 of my last 4 iPhones :(. I’m on ATT so dunno what’s up.

That said - I get about 1 voicemail per calendar quarter so WGAF.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
sometimes i think to myself "wow. these guys we just outsourced to are almost completely incompetent and lack the basic English skills required to describe technical problems in any amount of depth. surely this means more job security for me!"

lmao yeah right

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 24, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Google Voice trascription works fine?

Also, T-Mobile visual voice mail works fine too (in case I’m missing which you’re directing it at)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dick Nipples posted:

It’s only worked for me on like 1 of my last 4 iPhones :(. I’m on ATT so dunno what’s up.

That said - I get about 1 voicemail per calendar quarter so WGAF.

It stopped working a while back and there is a big support thread going, starting from 2016, of lots of people having issues with it working.
Mostly it's just been a " ehh sucks but :effort:"
I'm fiddling with it now though, maybe I can get it going again.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I've been missing visual voicemail transcriptions for at least a year, but on the other hand, no-one calls me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thom and the Heads posted:

sometimes i think to myself "wow. these guys we just outsourced to are almost completely incompetent and lack the basic English skills required to describe technical problems in any amount of depth. surely this means more job security for me!"

lmao yeah right

It was really eye-opening to me how this works. Once the decision is made, it does not matter if the result is absolutely horrible. The only thing that can change it is if the people who made the decision, or senior management they report to, don't like the result and say something. The last part is critical -- our VIP users hate contracted level 1 support, but they don't complain or fire the people responsible so it just putters along being awful.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I don't know if this will solve any of your specific voicemail transcription issues on iOS, but one gotcha to check is that it won't work unless you set Siri to US English.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Gunjin posted:

I don't know if this will solve any of your specific voicemail transcription issues on iOS, but one gotcha to check is that it won't work unless you set Siri to US English.

Gunjin posted:

Huh. I bet that’s what it is.

I set mine to British because I’m Fancy but also because I found the US Siri voice to be grating. Looking at the settings now, looks like you can set the voice separately from the Siri language itself.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Javid posted:

I use it on iOS to this very day so I don't know what issue you're having

It's not IOS, but I use AirDroid for the same thing with Windows and my Android phone. It's a freemium model, but the pay part just gets you support and bigger file transfer limits. Plus, since it works with LAN, that's one less cable to my computer...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gunjin posted:

Hmmmm. I have Siri turned off, so if that's the problem it's my own stupid fault.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have work cell phones and used to have wifi hotspots as well. Once we got the phones (we all declined at first and just used our personal phones), we went to ask about enabling the tethering feature on them. Turns out they have unlimited data anyway and it was cheaper to turn on tethering and turn in the hotspot than it was to have both (hotspot and no tethering, I mean). And the hotspots had limited data. Everyone wins!

So we (the three of us on the same team) started using it a lot. So eventually we get word that we better watch out, because Verizon provides a list of top data users, and we're at or near the top. Apparently HR looked at the list and considered it bad to be on that list. So we got a talking to, and had to stop using so much data.

Verizon didn't care one bit, they just sent the report for informational purposes. It was just HR thinking if you were on that list you must not be doing your job.

We lost that fight. It still makes me mad to this day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We have that reporting on our shared data plan as well, and the top five people kept getting a message that maybe they should tone down on the data use. It didn't matter how much data you were using, just if you were in the top five.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stack ranking applied to the mobile contract

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Last night (Sunday) a script was run to force reset every password in the system that hasn't been changed since some cutoff that I forget but it's a long while ago.

At least six emails warning that this was coming have been sent out over the last six months, in plain English, as well as a persistent notification banner when accessing the login page.

Of the 128,000 accounts with ancient passwords, 17,000 have changed them so far.

Gonna suck to be first line phone support in a few hours. my requests to pull a few people off minor, non-critical poo poo to back up t1 support for the duration of the initial surge have been, of course, denied, because frrrrrrrrrrt

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Javid posted:

Last night (Sunday) a script was run to force reset every password in the system that hasn't been changed since some cutoff that I forget but it's a long while ago.

At least six emails warning that this was coming have been sent out over the last six months, in plain English, as well as a persistent notification banner when accessing the login page.

Of the 128,000 accounts with ancient passwords, 17,000 have changed them so far.

Gonna suck to be first line phone support in a few hours. my requests to pull a few people off minor, non-critical poo poo to back up t1 support for the duration of the initial surge have been, of course, denied, because frrrrrrrrrrt

This is where you learn that your company only actually has 17,000 employees and the other 111k are fake and someone is massively skimming off the payroll.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

does poo poo on the motherboard ruin a computer?

like just a big rear end turd

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

poo poo I went to the dentist today

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you also shouldn't be putting it in your mouth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yesterday I dealt with quite possibly one of the dumbest people to be employed in a Networking role.

He just couldn't wrap his head around the concept that their internet was down because of a hardware failure at a location that was nowhere near theirs. Kept asking me to clarify what I meant and why we weren't sending a tech to their location to investigate.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

freeedr posted:

Suppose it would all depend on what creature it came from, and the consistency of said turd.
Case by case basis, really.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

freeedr posted:

Is this something that has occurred in your workplace, or is it an act you're contemplating? It's OK, you can tell us.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Javid posted:

This is why you should stagger these kinds of changes piecemeal.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

spankmeister posted:

This is why you should stagger these kinds of changes piecemeal.

Yes! Just reset two characters from everyone's password each night over the course of about two weeks. Should get em all by the end of the two weeks and you'll be able to catch problems earlier.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Yes! Just reset two characters from everyone's password each night over the course of about two weeks. Should get em all by the end of the two weeks and you'll be able to catch problems earlier.

Yeah just write a macro in the spreadsheet where you have documented everyones passwords

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Yeah just write a macro in the spreadsheet where you have documented everyones passwords

Just update the formula from 'password'+n to 'password'+(n+1)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The person who sent out all the warning emails would get a flurry of people who just replied with their login info and the new password they wanted like "can you just take care of it?"

Sadly, we don't just summarily void the exposed login info when they do that, so they won't learn. :(

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Javid posted:

The person who sent out all the warning emails would get a flurry of people who just replied with their login info and the new password they wanted like "can you just take care of it?"

Sadly, we don't just summarily void the exposed login info when they do that, so they won't learn. :(

"Thank you, I have added that password to our blocked list. It can now never be used by anyone on any of our systems. Thank you for helping us boost our security."

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in from my favorite Engineer:

"I propose we implement a simple, dhcp-client-side, early warning system that would broadcast DHCPDISCOVER requests, compare the response packets with a list of known, expected mac/ip addresses, and email Engineering@company.com when there are mismatches.
This test process would run on a dedicated linux box sitting on the corporate network, perhaps a raspberry pi that can be easily cloned and placed on the various corporate subnets that have different DHCP servers. It would be started by a cron job once every 15 minutes. The job itself would probably be a python script that uses either dhcp-probe linux package or scapy python package.
The subject line of the email would never change, so although we may all receive 4 emails for every hour that the issue is not resolved, these will naturally collect together as a conversation in outlook. Regardless, the utility and awareness that this early warning system provides outweighs any negative feelings about bot spam.
I am filing this issue with IT so they let me know if there are already any such efforts afoot, and whether they have feedback about the implementation of this system, or want to do it themselves. Perhaps IT would choose to solve this problem for us once and for all by setting up DHCP snooping and using server-side scripts"

:negative:

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress? He is just wanting port security?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GreenNight posted:

What the gently caress? He is just wanting port security?

Nah he wants job security.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nah he wants job security.

oh no, he doesn't want to do the work.

He wants IT to deploy several dozen raspberry pi systems throughout our company all sending email when a rogue DHCP server gets plugged in by some dummy.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm the lead ticket closer within our department by a significant amount (like, 40%) and my boss wants to make me some sort of supervisor, 'cause he doesn't have time to do it anymore (he deals with a lot of customer implementation type stuff, we're a small software shop/vendor). I guess that's exciting? I just wonder who's going to take all the calls I normally do, now..

Lots of "well I don't know exactly what the role would look like yet" but :yotj:, maybe?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in from my favorite Engineer:

"I propose we implement a simple, dhcp-client-side, early warning system that would broadcast DHCPDISCOVER requests, compare the response packets with a list of known, expected mac/ip addresses, and email Engineering@company.com when there are mismatches.
This test process would run on a dedicated linux box sitting on the corporate network, perhaps a raspberry pi that can be easily cloned and placed on the various corporate subnets that have different DHCP servers. It would be started by a cron job once every 15 minutes. The job itself would probably be a python script that uses either dhcp-probe linux package or scapy python package.
The subject line of the email would never change, so although we may all receive 4 emails for every hour that the issue is not resolved, these will naturally collect together as a conversation in outlook. Regardless, the utility and awareness that this early warning system provides outweighs any negative feelings about bot spam.
I am filing this issue with IT so they let me know if there are already any such efforts afoot, and whether they have feedback about the implementation of this system, or want to do it themselves. Perhaps IT would choose to solve this problem for us once and for all by setting up DHCP snooping and using server-side scripts"

:negative:

The way that last paragraph ends, I feel like this is either an X-Y problem or is an incredibly over-engineered solution to something incredibly stupid that happened exactly one time.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

suuma posted:

I just wonder who's going to take all the calls I normally do, now..

Lots of "well I don't know exactly what the role would look like yet" but :yotj:, maybe?

Probably you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

He/she is an engineer so of course they are going to come up with a super convoluted solution to a problem that is already solved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the guy just want DHCP snooping? Why is this Rube Goldberg machine being discussed as an alternative?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The part that is confusing me is he thought up the monstrous solution that will cost money and time and break in 3 seconds, then proceeds to mention DHCP snooping which sounds like what he wanted all along?????

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The part that is confusing me is he thought up the monstrous solution that will cost money and time and break in 3 seconds, then proceeds to mention DHCP snooping which sounds like what he wanted all along?????

Trying to push them to do snooping?

"You can do this monstrous thing, or we could just do the simpler thing I previously asked for"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

PBS posted:

Probably you.

Yeah you right :hf: