Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Note: please open and set up your new xbox before repacking and gifting it because it will likely have a jillion updates plus games that take forever to install that can dampen the fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Battling through a console/game update process on XBL on xmas morning at the same time as thousands of other people and a bunch of hackers trying to stop you is a character building exercise. You get through that and you'll truly appreciate whatever game you get to play like 3 days later.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Note: please open and set up your new xbox before repacking and gifting it because it will likely have a jillion updates plus games that take forever to install that can dampen the fun

Seriously, everyone do this with gifted consoles.

The waiting loving suuuucks.

AlternateAttack
Nov 26, 2018
Can you do all the updates without making an account? I also bought a One S for someone else, and I'd love to make sure it's ready to play out of the box, but I'm assuming they're going to want/need to set up their own account when they get the system.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't think there's even such thing as a local-only account on the Xbox One, I think you pretty much have to have every account tied to a Microsoft Account, and you need at least one account to get the system going (it might do the OS update initially though, saving you that step). I had to set up an account for my son that way.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

You'll need an account to get through setup and update. But you can remove the account once it's completed if need be.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xbox uipdate is part of the core experience, dont take that away from the kids

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

xbox uipdate is part of the core experience, dont take that away from the kids

Yeah that’s the uphill both ways in the snow story they’re gonna tell their grandkids

AlternateAttack
Nov 26, 2018
So I set up the Bone X last night while my wife was at work (GUI kinda sucks but whatever), and in the settings app it says my TV is compatible with Dolby Vision but not with HDR10. I know that this is wrong - is there some other software update or something that needs to happen for the Xbox to correctly see that my TV can do HDR10? It says that because the TV is incompatible with HDR10, it won't play games in HDR....which is kind of the reason I bought the drat thing in the first place.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to actually try any games, and I've since wrapped the whole thing up to avoid any temptation of trying it again before I give it as a gift, but what gives?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some tvs need you to enable poo poo like hdr and 4k for each HDMI port?

Edit: RDR 2 online starts as early as today in case anyone missed it.

I tried the game for the first time in weeks yesterday and ran into a wagon with my horse while doing the cinematic auto-gallop mode mode, then got shot before I could pull out a weapon, then turned it off again. I loving love how the game looks but hate playing it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I tried the game for the first time in weeks yesterday and ran into a wagon with my horse while doing the cinematic auto-gallop mode mode, then got shot before I could pull out a weapon, then turned it off again. I loving love how the game looks but hate playing it.

User error

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

When stealing a cart of oil for a heist I happened to drive it on the wrong side of the building where I needed to park it and got the horses wedged against a tree so they couldn't go forward. Luckily, I was actually able to salvage it by firing a shotgun near the horses, which spooked them and got them to back up enough so I could drive it around and park it correctly.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I loving love how the game looks but hate playing it.
Same.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Over There posted:

User error

The gun thing is my fault a little but the horse running full speed into a wagon in auto-pilot isn't. And it just sucks to have to re-learn how the game works because the controls are so different than anything else. I have too much gaming love for one game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlternateAttack posted:

So I set up the Bone X last night while my wife was at work (GUI kinda sucks but whatever), and in the settings app it says my TV is compatible with Dolby Vision but not with HDR10. I know that this is wrong - is there some other software update or something that needs to happen for the Xbox to correctly see that my TV can do HDR10? It says that because the TV is incompatible with HDR10, it won't play games in HDR....which is kind of the reason I bought the drat thing in the first place.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to actually try any games, and I've since wrapped the whole thing up to avoid any temptation of trying it again before I give it as a gift, but what gives?
DV is better than HDR10.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I loving love how the game looks but hate playing it.

I was thinking this same thing yesterday. I absolutely love how gorgeous the game is and how immersive it is (makes me really wish Westworld was real), but it's just nowhere near as fun to play.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1067448202956234752?s=21

First time GWG has included an original Xbox game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

DV is better than HDR10.

Right but he still has to con it into allowing HDR10 because games will only do HDR10. DV is better but HDR10 is still a separate system which the huge amount of HDR10-only media (including games) has to use, it won't retrofit into Dolby Vision.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah HDR TV issues is just one of those things you'll have to work through. You'd think it would be there if Dolby Vision was, maybe a TV setting? Check for updates for TV/receiver as well. Google your TV model to see if other people have had the same issue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Ill take a copy of Mercenaries. I wont play it probably, but Ill think about it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ixnay posted:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1067448202956234752?s=21

Awesome! Never played the first one, but enjoyed the 2nd game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HDR can be loving frustrating. Good luck my man but yeah check the HDMI ports. It almost sounds like it needs to be enabled on all the ports or maybe only one port does it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm hoping that means they unfucked the backwards compatibility on Mercenaries that prevented you from playing past the first couple missions on the 360. Liked the first game much more than the second and am stoked to play it again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

When stealing a cart of oil for a heist I happened to drive it on the wrong side of the building where I needed to park it and got the horses wedged against a tree so they couldn't go forward. Luckily, I was actually able to salvage it by firing a shotgun near the horses, which spooked them and got them to back up enough so I could drive it around and park it correctly.

You can hold r1 to reverse your horse. Its dumb.

Also my oil cart got shot and leaks flew out everywhere and apparently there is infinite oil in there wtf rockstar wheres the realism?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ixnay posted:

At least it's a good one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Never alone is like a weird eskimo platformer crossed with a museum tour. It might be cool if the platforming didnt feel awful

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AlternateAttack posted:

Have you tried turning off Allow Dolby Vision and restarting the console? My HDR10 output was glitching out periodically until I disabled that option (I don't have an AVR so the built-in Netflix app in the TV is just fine until we get actual DV games), hopefully this will be fixed in a system update

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think my Bravia only supports HDR10 in two of the three HDMI.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You can check what your TV is telling the Xbox by going to Xbox Settings -> Video Output -> 4K Details. This is helpful to diagnose things like differences between various inputs (which there often are, both in HDR support and maximum refresh rate).

You have to have the dashboard set to 4K to see this button.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BFV is $30 at Target right now apparently, get that game, yanks. It's actually good, unlike most games that discount this fast.

edit: oh great apparently there's a "bug" not letting RDR 2 ultimate edition xbox players play Online. PS4 works fine.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 27, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BFV is $30 at Target right now apparently, get that game, yanks. It's actually good, unlike most games that discount this fast.

edit: oh great apparently there's a "bug" not letting RDR 2 ultimate edition xbox players play Online. PS4 works fine.

Excuse me, I was told that the Xbox One X was the best platform for hit game Red Dead Redemption 2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Still? I posted these in the other thread hours ago, I can't imagine the salt now.

https://twitter.com/BriiBus/status/1067430504188731397

https://twitter.com/Typhoon_Lex/status/1067445806683340801

https://twitter.com/Retro_Edge/status/1067432026893049857

https://twitter.com/CasonJones1234/status/1067452424569462785

https://twitter.com/Myckedelic/status/1067437871089385474

https://twitter.com/torreyhuff/status/1067453485594173441

https://twitter.com/BODFamoUS/status/1067442906259050498

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gamers are the worst.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

LUDA!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MarcusSA posted:

Gamers are the worst.

My thoughts exactly as I was scrolling through that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Those people are morons but I'll admit I'm a little miffed because I lucked out with a clear schedule today and I was hoping to get into at least the character customization stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LMAO yes you did motherfucker

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GTAO was absolutely unplayable for at least a few days for most people and that wasn't even billed as a beta.

and lol at anyone who's played anything online by Rockstar ever and truly believes that it's a conspiracy that a new online mode is broken

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Does anyone know if the RDR2 patch fixed the HDR issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BisterdDave posted:

Does anyone know if the RDR2 patch fixed the HDR issue?

It does not.

There's word that it may be a problem they might not solve (it's an engine issue and it could mean reworking everything)