Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Axetrain posted:

I could never finish GTA V, the characters and the setting are just so extremely unlikable.

Maybe it was because it was coming off the heels of GTA IV (which had some of the most unlikable, insufferable characters ever written) but I found the ones in V weren't that bad. Michael and Frank were at least relatable and I guess Trevor was the Breaking Bad pop culture tie in. Most of the minor and side characters also acted human for the most part.

The series does much better when it knows it's satirical and hams it up.

The Ballad of Gay Tony at least was able to salvage a bit of what they had built for Liberty City and helped prove that going all Grim Dark Serious Crime Drama Head Up Your Own rear end story telling is not what people play these games for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Captain Gordon posted:

It was fun watching goons slowly turn into No Mutants Allowed, but I think its time to go back and play a good game, Fallout 76

TODD!!!!!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also, lol if you can't see why people say FO76 is garbage

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
GTA sucks, Saints Row (RIP) forever

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
f76 is a bad asset flip. im sorry for my meltdown

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

what do nukes do

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

nuke stuff

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
ligma balls

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

GTA sucks, Saints Row (RIP) forever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only good Saints Row was SR2

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

3 & 4 were still good but 2 was a sloppy masterpiece.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'm repeating this because I think you need to explain how D2 is not even more gated as BL2.

Maybe I'm just looking at it with rose-colored glasses because the drop rates in D2 aren't horrible and you can actually dodge attacks

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2 and 4,god i wish they'd reboot the series and keep 4's graphics throughout and unfuck 3.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It's the weirdest attitude to pretend that everybody complaining are just doing it to troll and don't have valid issues.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fallout 76 is the best game ever made

mad? U MAD??? I BET UR NAD!!1

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KirbyKhan posted:

The most effective joke in GTA5 is that they modeled amd recreated the LA subway system in game. It is fully functional. There are no npcs, there is nothing directing you to go in there. Just like the real LA Subway.

Not sure what part of LA you commute but the Red Line is a cluttered poo poo hole.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Nothing wrong with that really, a big logo or other unavoidable "BTW THIS WAS MADE BY" slapped onto things can take away from the otherwise neat looking thing.

A bunch of videojames tattoos are overdone and tacky to the point they might as well have gotten the little ™ on them, it's more "Get something tasteful, not just MY BRAND", especially if it's something being etched onto your body.

This holds up until you remember that the only stuff where people are uncomfortable with wearing the branding is for products and companies they should rightfully be ashamed of

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

feels miserable logging off after working on a workshop

also, how am i supposed to stockpile fusion cores with this stash size?

May want to use the batteries not included perk card to reduce fusion core weight to .3.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It's easy to see why FO76 is garbage but that doesn't stop people from having bad opinions about why it's garbage.

It also doesn't excuse how goons are seemingly perplexed how people can find fun in this buggy mess even though that's literally how you have to play every single Bethesda game out there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not sure what part of LA you commute but the Red Line is a cluttered poo poo hole.

What up Purple Line step-brother. Yeah, Red Line gets packed like any other real city. But from the perspective of a satire videogame, that first experience of stumbling into the San Andreas Ktown block subway station, only one NPC sitting next to a wall, was the finest joke made exclusively for me in the game. I hopped over the turnstyle, I think it beeped and like irl nothing happened.

A lot of this might be a manufactured fake memory. F76 so bad it makes me think less of all the videogames I have ever played in my life.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bholder posted:

It's easy to see why FO76 is garbage but that doesn't stop people from having bad opinions about why it's garbage.

It also doesn't excuse how goons are seemingly perplexed how people can find fun in this buggy mess even though that's literally how you have to play every single Bethesda game out there.

Theres a ratio of good to bad. This doubles the bad and removes the good. Its not impossible to have fun, you just need an extremely high tolerance for bullshit. Whether or not my reasons for not eating lead paint are valid im still going to mock those who continue to shovel paint flakes into their gullet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KirbyKhan posted:

What up Purple Line step-brother. Yeah, Red Line gets packed like any other real city. But from the perspective of a satire videogame, that first experience of stumbling into the San Andreas Ktown block subway station, only one NPC sitting next to a wall, was the finest joke made exclusively for me in the game. I hopped over the turnstyle, I think it beeped and like irl nothing happened.

A lot of this might be a manufactured fake memory. F76 so bad it makes me think less of all the videogames I have ever played in my life.

I've never been on the Purple so if this is true I'm blown away, but I really shouldn't be considering LA is misery.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Bholder posted:

Not everybody is willing to eat several tons of poo poo just to get to the occasional tasty peanut.

Bethesda put out a buggy, asset flipping cash grab and they are getting rightfully roasted for it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Fallout 76 : gamedevs roasting on an open fire....

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Fallout 76 : lawyers nipping at their toes....

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Bethesda is good at what they do.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

browsers castle posted:

Lmaolmao

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I mean, the only reason anyone is still taking up with their poo poo is because they are still the best when it comes to open world design.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bholder posted:

I mean, the only reason anyone is still taking up with their poo poo is because they are still the best when it comes to open world design.

This would maybe have been a true post in 2010.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Bholder posted:

Stockholm Syndrome

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
checked for myself: for purposes of damage boosting by perk, the .308 pipe pistol still counts as a pistol not rifle when you change the stock from a grip (despite this changing the name of the gun to "rifle"). haven't tested other guns yet. pretty sure fo4 handled it differently.

happy about the stash increase. dumping stimpacks to make space felt gross.

Tenzarin posted:

May want to use the batteries not included perk card to reduce fusion core weight to .3.

good to know, thanks (the perk's actually called batteries included just fyi)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This would maybe have been a true post in 2010.

that's true. and i think that's also part of why people put up with bugs in bethesda's games. their games were a known quantity and they broke a lot of ground in creating a seemless world to explore. which was a very hard thing to find pre-2010 in a single-player game.

but other studios have caught up. and bethesda's flaws are become more apparent when there are competitors to compared their work to. i mean, i loved FO3 when it came out, but New Vegas quickly overtook it in my mind, because i saw all the things FO3 lacked or didn't get right.

also FO76 is pretty full of re-used assets and bugs from their old games and its pretty light on gameplay systems--all things which could have been addressed if the game were given more development time. maybe it's not true that bethesda put in half-effort with FO76, but the way the game released, it sure feels like it. and it feels like they don't care about the source material or making a good product for their audience, so they're getting hammered for it.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A GAME DISC INTO THE SLOT. ITS FALLOUT 76 AND ITS A CARDBOARD DISK AND I THINK I JUST BROKE MY COMPUTER gently caress

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bholder posted:

Alright, I'll bite. What are the bad opinions about Fallout 76 being garbage?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

browsers castle posted:

fuckin up? :same:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
If they somehow get through the GRRM novel sized list of bugs and fix them all, the in-game systems will still be broken on a fundamental level. It just (doesn't) work.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

that's true. and i think that's also part of why people put up with bugs in bethesda's games. their games were a known quantity and they broke a lot of ground in creating a seemless world to explore. which was a very hard thing to find pre-2010 in a single-player game.

but other studios have caught up. and bethesda's flaws are become more apparent when there are competitors to compared their work to. i mean, i loved FO3 when it came out, but New Vegas quickly overtook it in my mind, because i saw all the things FO3 lacked or didn't get right.

They didn't though. Open world games are big right now but none of them are that comparable to Bethesda's titles. Most of them tend to follow the Ubisoft formula which just litters the worldmap with really surface level busywork to make it bigger.

Games like New Vegas and Witcher 3 are not built around the open world, in fact I would argue it's the weakest part in both games, it just meant to funnel you to the good part of those games: the quests which are dynamic, well written and actually give some life to the game, without them those games would be really shallow.

There are some really deep intricacies that even I don't understand when it comes to the differences because even Bethesda games rely greatly on quests and collectibles, but I guess the best way to explain is that with Bethesda games it really feels like they design the world first then put the story elements into it rather than the other way around. It's one of the reasons I can think of why one of things people boast about when playing Bethesda games is to ignore the main quest for 100 hours.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gobblecoque posted:

Look man, I know you mean well. But this thread is 95% people that have never played the game and are just laughing at it. Because a bad game is a funny joke? I guess? I'm having a hard time imagining the type of person that would like, full on belly laugh at the thought of a game being bad. "OMG THERES A BUG LMAAAAAAOOOOOOO" like what?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

NPCs won't make it better for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bethesda is not a competitive developer anymore. Open World/RPGlite systems are the backbone of every game from Far cry to God of War to RDR to Horizon Zero Dawn. These games are better looking, with better mini games, better characters and combat and writing and design. In every way Bethesda is outdone. As an RPG their games do not compete with cdpr, obsidian, and haven't for a long time. There's just nothing they excel at, and it's becoming very obvious, and they either should hang up their Dev hats or completely overhaul.

Instead they seem hell-bent on puttering along just as they have been.