Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im fine wrt water. y'all should just learn 2 conserve, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

i mean, look at you’re posts

In the future, they will be great sources of hydration.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will right here say that there is no way we within the foreseeable future use electricity to do something to the oceans where we end up going 'oh no the ocean is now too <x>' without the externalities of the energy production loving us and the oceans over in some far deeper way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

In the future, they will be great sources of hydration.

I just use the faucet in my sink.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it tastes better from the back of the toilet tank

lil lifehack for ya there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
every day a zillion tons of desalinated freshwater are removed from the ocean, leaving all the brackish salt and other particulates behind

this is called 'evaporation' and has been going on since the earths crust solidified

the water eventually trickles back into the oceans and the salinity levels stay more or less the same

my understanding is that the oceans are overall getting less salty because of the injection of freshwater from melting icecaps and glaciers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it tastes better from the back of the toilet tank

lil lifehack for ya there

for some reason that water is warm. is this normal?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
these posts are making me thirsty!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

for some reason that water is warm. is this normal?

is your commode "sweaty"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only after im done with it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

When has humans dumping mass quantities of something into something ever been "You know what, this'll have no long term impacts whatsoever" been the result?

you're posts

FMguru posted:

every day a zillion tons of desalinated freshwater are removed from the ocean, leaving all the brackish salt and other particulates behind

this is called 'evaporation' and has been going on since the earths crust solidified

the water eventually trickles back into the oceans and the salinity levels stay more or less the same

my understanding is that the oceans are overall getting less salty because of the injection of freshwater from melting icecaps and glaciers

i was gonna say something like this but then i thought about it a bit and it sure sounds like "more carbon dioxide than mankind could ever possibly produce is constantly released by natural sources, why should our little bit matter!!!" so idk maybe there's a balance between source and sink that we could gently caress up like we did with the carbon cycle. not likely but eh

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
just give me the brine to make my balls saltier

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the brine is stored in the balls

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

you're posts

i was gonna say something like this but then i thought about it a bit and it sure sounds like "more carbon dioxide than mankind could ever possibly produce is constantly released by natural sources, why should our little bit matter!!!" so idk maybe there's a balance between source and sink that we could gently caress up like we did with the carbon cycle. not likely but eh

The salt hasn't been removed for a few hundred million years, so your suspicions to the claim are valid.

It is also thermodynamically impossible for humans to impact the evaporation process of the ocean more than the natural evaporation process since global sunshine ingress into oceans is the biggest energy ingress of the entire planet (maybe short of geo thermal energy but I'm not sure on the energy balance of that, both is several magnitudes over the energy output of mankind)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the water cycle is the original trickle-down economics

mewse
May 2, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

im fine wrt water. y'all should just learn 2 conserve, imo.

correct. all the hollering about "There's gonna be no water" is about places that have been unlivable or barely livable from the start.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

correct. all the hollering about "There's gonna be no water" is about places that have been unlivable or barely livable from the start.

there'll be plenty of water it's just sea level rise will have poisoned it all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

there'll be plenty of water it's just sea level rise will have poisoned it all

lol no, it won't have, in real places as opposed to state-sized hospices

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waterfall economics?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what the hell are canadian senior citizens supposed to do once florida returns to the ocean?

i don't want them all hanging around up here all year

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sure someone will start building lovely resorts and planting palm trees in georgia and the carolinas before too long

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

I'm sure someone will start building lovely resorts and planting palm trees in georgia and the carolinas before too long

Disneyworld: Macon

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

what the hell are canadian senior citizens supposed to do once florida returns to the ocean?

there's a golden opportunity in starting your massive underwater resort program now, while you can still build it on "dry" land and just wait for it to flood

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
maybe they can call it "sea world"

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2160/did-eskimos-put-their-elderly-on-ice-floes-to-die/

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

can we just set them all adrift on icebergs like in the good old days; why are we allocating resources to the elderly anyway

e: oh right no icebergs left either, drat

real edit: ^^^^ dammit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Plenty of fatbergs to go around.

mystes
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

maybe they can call it "waterworld"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fishmech posted:

state-sized hospices

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if we really want to reduce the amount of salt in the oceans we need to do something about all these goddamned fish and whales cumming in it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
thought kinkshaming was frowned on in your part of the world

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

yup. but:

the oceans account for 96.5% of earth's water
typical ocean water varies between 3.4% to 3.6% salt by weight

if you could ignore the very legit issues of local salinity and magically mix that salt back into the oceans you'd have to roughly double earth's entire freshwater supply through desalinization before the impact could be detected above the natural variation. more than half of earth's current freshwater supply is frozen in glaciers, and all living things survive on the remains, so it's hard to imagine how we'd ever need that much new fresh water unless elon musk is shipping it all to mars

basically, Cybernetic Vermin is right, we're perfectly capable of loving up the oceans through carbon-driven acidification etc without worrying about salt

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

we're perfectly capable of loving up the oceans through carbon-driven acidification etc without worrying about salt

also by whatever the side effects of this are gonna be: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07533-4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

also by whatever the side effects of this are gonna be: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07533-4

i think that was the premise to highlander 2

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

kinda surprised elon hasn't tweeted a plan to save earth with space mirrors

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

if we really want to reduce the amount of salt in the oceans we need to do something about all these goddamned fish and whales cumming in it

the ocean is the primordial computer, we are all processes spawned from it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
or elon builds a dumb brotherhood of steel-type thing with that kinda superweapon

come to think of it a bunch of tesla dorks in badly-functioning power armor sounds pretty on-brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

help i need to poop but the flap refuses to open