Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah those wheels are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those look remarkably similar to the wheels that were on my first car. Looks nice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Voltage posted:

Yeah they are just uniroyal tigerpaw ice and snow 3's, but its a brand new tire design and they should be miles better than the goodyear all seasons, which were completely useless in this storm we just had.

I would say the cheapest snow tire is better than the best all season in the snow. That's been my experience, anyway (since I'm cheap :v:).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Suburban Dad posted:

I would say the cheapest snow tire is better than the best all season in the snow. That's been my experience, anyway (since I'm cheap :v:).

If you're so cheap why were you also buying the best all-season tires, Suburban Daddy Warbucks?

(I just put Blizzak WS80's on my RWD Stinger, thus ensuring the D.C. area will get hardly any snow this year.)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've had blizzak ws60's, nokian hakkapellettas, and goodyear ultragrip (which honestly looked just like mud ties) and I can't say there was much of a difference, they all worked amazingly. I absolutely love driving in the snow, can't wait to test out the civic and see how it handles the snow, hopefully i can figure out how to fully disable the traction control. The only huge bummer is no real e brake, which I dont think is going to work for handbrake turns but ill try...

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Counterpoint: I’ve had Blizzaks, Sottozeroes, Wintersport 3D’s and I now swear by Nokian Hakka R2’s. Night and day difference when it comes to the kind of winters we get in Minnesota. The R2’s are unstoppable.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

DropShadow posted:

Counterpoint: I’ve had Blizzaks, Sottozeroes, Wintersport 3D’s and I now swear by Nokian Hakka R2’s. Night and day difference when it comes to the kind of winters we get in Minnesota. The R2’s are unstoppable.

I've used General Alitmax Arctics and they have been amazing for MN winters. Much better than the Blizzaks I used to run.

I've got Yokohama BluEarths on the Scat Pack and they are WAY less chunky than I am used to. We've only gotten a dusting so far, but they were planted. Also, I shouldn't throw tread if it gets warm. I worry about that with such a heavy car.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I loved my Nokian's on my old 330Ci - absolutely unstoppable, I went from summer only Ling Long's to those and it was like a different car completely in the snow.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

TheFonz posted:

I've used General Alitmax Arctics and they have been amazing for MN winters. Much better than the Blizzaks I used to run.

I've got Yokohama BluEarths on the Scat Pack and they are WAY less chunky than I am used to. We've only gotten a dusting so far, but they were planted. Also, I shouldn't throw tread if it gets warm. I worry about that with such a heavy car.

poo poo! Forgot the Generals! I’ve had a couple sets of Arctics too and loved them, but they don’t make them larger than 17”, otherwise I’d still be running them.

My current set of R2’s are 255/35/20. Putting a set of Michelin X-Ice on my wife’s car this week, I’ve heard good things about them.

Here’s a pic from last winter, but it looks the same now:

Also, content: I sold the tan XJ I had for a couple months and bought this monstrosity instead:

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 21, 2018

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Apt video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g

From the comments by the presenter:

quote:

Edit: As requested in comments I will be doing all season vs winter tyres AND 4wd vs 2wd on the same tyres so make sure you subscribe :)
Hi Guys, I hope you all enjoyed the video. For those of you saying it should have been all season tyres vs winter tyres, there's a few points around that. Firstly, in Europe where winter tyres aren't a legal requirement, everyone runs "summer" tyres year round. Secondly, the new breed of European all season tyres are pretty much winter tyres (apart from the CrossClimate), so the differences would have been massive compared to the summer tyre, the 4x4 on a european all season tyre would have probably out performed the fwd on winter tyres.

American all season tyres are different, they're not actually that much better than summer tyres on snow, so the overall results would have been fairly similar.

Either way, I take everyones comments on board and will make a video next year showing the differences between all the different tyre types :)

Anyone from Europe able to confirm all seasons are different? I will say American all season are poo poo, and do seem very summer orientated.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

TheFonz posted:

Anyone from Europe able to confirm all seasons are different? I will say American all season are poo poo, and do seem very summer orientated.

My GF runs all seasons on her hatchback and they perform admirably in the winter. The car is hardly a performance machine though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DropShadow posted:

Also, content: I sold the tan XJ I had for a couple months and bought this monstrosity instead:

I like that. Tastefully modded for off-road. If my ‘95 2-door has been 4x4 and 4.0, I’d have kept it.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

This first thing I bought for the Challenger (in July) were winter wheels and tires off Craigslist. I didn't like the Continentals that came on them so I swapped them for Hakkapeliitta 9s in 235/50R18. Sold the Continentals on Craigslist for a little more than I hoped to get in under 24hrs.

We have only had a little snow so far but they've been great.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

:discourse:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheFonz posted:

Apt video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g

From the comments by the presenter:

No
What an odd statement to make, both you & the youtube channel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

This first thing I bought for the Challenger (in July) were winter wheels and tires off Craigslist. I didn't like the Continentals that came on them so I swapped them for Hakkapeliitta 9s in 235/50R18. Sold the Continentals on Craigslist for a little more than I hoped to get in under 24hrs.

loving owns. My first car was RWD, winters were wild

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SFH1989 posted:

Seeing dirty white Challengers makes me tingle in all the right ways. You bought the right color.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Charles posted:

No
What an odd statement to make, both you & the youtube channel.

My statement is that All Seasons are poo poo. I don't think that's an odd statement. All Seasons are poo poo. They are bad summer tires and worse winter tires.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I need to get rid of my eagle GT's before the summer And slap some super sticky summers on my main rims. Anyone want 235/40/18's reallll cheap? Only 5k miles on them...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best is those 3 days a year when it's below 55 degrees, and your all-season PSS tires let you get sideways with like 10% throttle. :discourse:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

The best is those 3 days a year when it's below 55 degrees, and your all-season PSS tires let you get sideways with like 10% throttle. :discourse:

That must be hilarious with the M. They're sketchy enough at low temps on a 328!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
crap. the all seasons on my CUV in southern arizona might cause it literally flip over and/or explode

:ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

SFH1989 posted:

White Challengers are the best.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I like that. Tastefully modded for off-road. If my ‘95 2-door has been 4x4 and 4.0, I’d have kept it.

Thanks, I bought it like this. Decided I didn't want to put any more money into the tan one when I could sell it and buy one already "done." I've replaced a couple things since it arrived and now need a new alternator, but it's fun so far.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Getting back into the rotary game.

Full album below. I just got it today and did the OMP delete, removed the mouse and associated dirt, and took the carb off for a rebuild. I have all new rotors/pads/calipers and a carb rebuild kit coming from RockAuto already.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0dJ5hvj

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So jealous. Looks like at least the pacesetter muffler which if it is is awesome. If it's the full exhaust even better. 84 and 85 are my favorite. Any rust at all?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

shy boy from chess club posted:

So jealous. Looks like at least the pacesetter muffler which if it is is awesome. If it's the full exhaust even better. 84 and 85 are my favorite. Any rust at all?

Definitely full exhaust. Make the good rotary noise. There’s just surface rust where paint flakes but nothing to concern myself about. Cosmetics will stay mostly the same except a set of black fender flares that came with it, and some Enkei Panasport copies. I don’t plan on repainting it or anything.

Best part? $800

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

800! Man what a steal. Decent ones go for 3 times that or more. I always wanted Panasports when I had mine but didn't get them until I got my Scirocco. Can't wait to see how it looks.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Around 10 years ago I had the chance to buy a beautifully clean 1983 manual FB for $1200 and passed on it because none of the electrics or gauge cluster worked, but the rest was great. I am still kicking myself, the test drive was a blast

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

d0s posted:

Around 10 years ago I had the chance to buy a beautifully clean 1983 manual FB for $1200 and passed on it because none of the electrics or gauge cluster worked, but the rest was great. I am still kicking myself, the test drive was a blast

As far as electrics the only thing I’ve found so far that doesn’t work is the 4-way flashers. I’m not sure if it’s just the switch as I haven’t dug that far into the dash, but the turn signals work fine so it can’t be too serious. At this point I have it in the garage with the carb off just waiting for a new accelerator pump, and I have all new brakes ordered as a matter of safety. Once those two items are all done I will look more into the wheels/tires.

My older son and i spent hours cleaning the crap out of the interior of the car yesterday. Pulled the seats for a quick once-over with the carpet cleaner, hit all the surfaces on the interior with cleaners, vacuumed all the acorns and mouse poo poo out of it, etc. I’ve never seen him so excited about a car we have had before. He wants it as his first car even.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Getting back into the rotary game.

Full album below. I just got it today and did the OMP delete, removed the mouse and associated dirt, and took the carb off for a rebuild. I have all new rotors/pads/calipers and a carb rebuild kit coming from RockAuto already.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0dJ5hvj

Neat!
A little closer to street ready than my '79:

I had a Tornado Silver (same color as yours, but with the dark red interior) '84 GSL-SE with a worn-out engine, but sold it to make space and provide fundage for rebuilding the '79, since it's my first '7/rotary. It's getting a 13B, fuel injection, and power steering (because I have a ratty GSL-SE with all those things, but prefer the SA22C.)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

As far as electrics the only thing I’ve found so far that doesn’t work is the 4-way flashers. I’m not sure if it’s just the switch as I haven’t dug that far into the dash, but the turn signals work fine so it can’t be too serious. At this point I have it in the garage with the carb off just waiting for a new accelerator pump, and I have all new brakes ordered as a matter of safety. Once those two items are all done I will look more into the wheels/tires.

My older son and i spent hours cleaning the crap out of the interior of the car yesterday. Pulled the seats for a quick once-over with the carpet cleaner, hit all the surfaces on the interior with cleaners, vacuumed all the acorns and mouse poo poo out of it, etc. I’ve never seen him so excited about a car we have had before. He wants it as his first car even.

That's awesome.
BTW, be careful. These things attract other RX-7s. I once had 7 of them, only one of which ran and drove. Down to 5 now, 4 first-gens and an '86 FC.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Neat!
A little closer to street ready than my '79:

I had a Tornado Silver (same color as yours, but with the dark red interior) '84 GSL-SE with a worn-out engine, but sold it to make space and provide fundage for rebuilding the '79, since it's my first '7/rotary. It's getting a 13B, fuel injection, and power steering (because I have a ratty GSL-SE with all those things, but prefer the SA22C.)

That's awesome.
BTW, be careful. These things attract other RX-7s. I once had 7 of them, only one of which ran and drove. Down to 5 now, 4 first-gens and an '86 FC.

I’ve had five RX7’s before so I know all about the law of rotary attraction. I’m pretty certain I’ll be picking up an FC to use as a drivetrain donor in the future. My friend has an S4 TII with a streetported motor running Haltech, but NA. Makes 200whp. So still a full turbo driveline and brakes etc. just no turbo. Body is pretty rusty and banged up so it’s probably not salvageable in the long run but we will see.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Just stuck a set of Michelin CrossClimates on my wife’s Peugeot and I’m intrigued to see how they do. We ran proper winter for 30k - the 3 seasons it came with didn’t look great so I never got round to putting them back on. Seeing as winters here aren’t that bad I decided the CCs would be better for all year use as she probably won’t go out if it’s really bad.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seeing dirty white Challengers makes me tingle in all the right ways. You bought the right color.

shy boy from chess club posted:

White Challengers are the best.

Thanks, white wasn't my first choice, B5 blue was, but I figured if there's any car to get in white it's a Challenger. Unfortunately NH doesn't allow OA-5599 as a vanity plate.

Going home for Thanksgiving meant working on cars.

(See, I do still have this car)

It took some effort but the LTD started up and ran more or less fine. I'll have to try to get it out of the garage over Christmas and run some of the very old gas out of it. It's also leaking ATF despite having a rebuilt C6.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Slight derail but man over the years I've come to realize I come to this thread half the time for the backdrop. I'm from the West coast and I've been to the East coast (Maine) only once and snapshots like that are nostalgic, also fun to see places of US I never been.

It also doesn't snow here so it's nice to see the seasons change, see different flora and architecture.

gently caress Im getting old

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man the last time I was in this thread was forever ago, I turn the next page and 'TINY NO HP CAR = DANGEROUS ON FREEWAYS!' happened. I thought freeway speed was like 55mph? What cars can't hit that?

Anyway in honour of lovely low powered cars, this is my 'new' Civic. His name is Ralph and he's a lovely rattle-can black car with screw on arches, wide steelies with stretched tyres and cut springs. He came with BC coilovers, panhard and a bunch of bushings though so he's getting fixed up soonish. A friend of mine owned one of these before and it was a joy to drive, stupidly light and go-kart like in terms of handling so I had to have one. £1100 with £700 worth of 'free' coilovers plus other bits = bargain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FUCKIN' AAAAAA that's cool

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Man the last time I was in this thread was forever ago, I turn the next page and 'TINY NO HP CAR = DANGEROUS ON FREEWAYS!' happened. I thought freeway speed was like 55mph? What cars can't hit that?

Anyway in honour of lovely low powered cars, this is my 'new' Civic. His name is Ralph and he's a lovely rattle-can black car with screw on arches, wide steelies with stretched tyres and cut springs. He came with BC coilovers, panhard and a bunch of bushings though so he's getting fixed up soonish. A friend of mine owned one of these before and it was a joy to drive, stupidly light and go-kart like in terms of handling so I had to have one. £1100 with £700 worth of 'free' coilovers plus other bits = bargain.

Very nice! Checkout RedPepperRacing and Chedda's auto; they have alot of solid 3G info and re-pro parts.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yay Civics. I have a vague recollection that your plates contain the model year: therefore is that an '85?

PS, 55 mph was repealed as a national speed limit in 1995; the vast majority of the US has speed limits on highways at 70mph or higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really like your Civic. I shouldn't have sold my EG :( But now I can get a nicer one.