Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
proof that story mode is all you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I attacked a posse and couldn't figure out how to destroy the caravans. Any ideas? Didn't have any dynamite.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just drive the caravan off a steep ledge

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also being an evil cowboy online owns. I was looking for treasure with some dude, and he found the treasure chest and called me over. When i confirmed he had found the chest i quickdrew on him and blew him away and then got a bunch of treasure chest money.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The best, most fun way to do those competitive modes is to brandish your knife and never stop sprinting. Tackle dudes then shank them. I nearly leveled my stamina two levels doing that and it's just plain fun to do.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So I took people's advice and actually started just hunting and exploring, and wow it actually is really fun and cozy to just wander out in the wilderness.

Is pelt quality affected by anything but luck? I am trying to get the wolf coat that requires a perfect wolf and ram pelt, and I think the more shots you put into something the more the pelt gets damaged, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there a reliable way to find and hunt wolves, other than just run into roaming packs in Ambarino?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

So I took people's advice and actually starter just hunting and exploring, and wow it actually is really fun and cozy to just wander out in the wilderness.

Is pelt quality affected by anything but luck? I am trying to get the wolf coat that requires a perfect wolf and ram pelt, and I think the more shots you put into something the more the pelt gets damaged, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there a reliable way to find and hunt wolves, other than just run into roaming packs in Ambarino?

You have to get a critical shot with a specific type of gun on a three star animal, which you see when you target it. Someone here should have an image of it.

e: here you go

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

So I took people's advice and actually started just hunting and exploring, and wow it actually is really fun and cozy to just wander out in the wilderness.

Different animals need different weapons, study each animal. Aim for head or heart. There's a legendary trinket that improves pelts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's funny that people stan so hard for being assholes when hardly anyone is even taking the game's suggestions for ways to be an rear end in a top hat in actually lucrative ways. I've done a bunch of freeroam and story missions where the game says "holy poo poo there's a target on your back now, finish the mission before you get ganked and have your reward stolen!" and not a single other player has messed with me. But trying to turn in some pelts or stolen items or talk to a quest giver? Murder central. It's almost like it's not PVP that they're there for, but just trying to make sure other people can't have fun or engage with basic game mechanics. :thunk:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
thats why you get a goon posse rolling and gently caress up anyone that comes near you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlestonJew posted:

thats why you get a goon posse rolling and gently caress up anyone that comes near you

*checks discord to find fellow xboners* whoops, I bought the game on the wrong system!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you certainly did

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

DrNutt posted:

*checks discord to find fellow xboners* whoops, I bought the game on the wrong system!

that's actually extremely inaccurate. There's a lot of us.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm not worried. There's actually three of us in the discord now, all different time zones too!

e: For real? That's a relief. I'm actually pretty stoked to get a group together. I want to try and do some of the activities that clearly require more players. A lot of the free roam strangers are doable solo but have ludicrous amounts of enemies compared to single player (plus no time slowdown deadeye).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah it seems rdro is played more like other survival games like rust or ark in that you CAN play it alone and you might have fun but its really easy for other players to come along and ruin your poo poo.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is Discord a requirement to join goon groups? I thought GTA had in-game groups to join and it just sent you to lobbies the others were in.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So far the highlight of my RDO experience was when I turned a corner and crashed into another player riding his horse which put his horse in critical condition. I don't know what came of that because I just got back on my horse and rode away.

Also what is the discord? Should probably have that listed in the OP.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RDRO follows the single-player model for bounties. "Oh, you shooting at me? I'll take you out first!" The next thing I know I have a bunch of lawmen after me. Saint Denis is where all the riffraff goes to. You'll get shot at or some crazy will run up to you and shank your face. Careful around those parts.

A fun thing to do is to hang around where the police are and get them on you killer's case.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Discord a requirement to join goon groups? I thought GTA had in-game groups to join and it just sent you to lobbies the others were in.

It does and supposedly it is a thing in RDRO too based on being able to select that as a preferred option. I doubt discord will necessarily be a requirement but it's been really good for organizing specific events and stuff like that. Like in the destiny discord there are bots that you can use to set an event up and let people sign up for it until you have enough people.

Since the Xbox has a bunch of lfg stuff built in it's probably not as necessary but to each their own. More ways to find fellow cowpokes is a good thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Over There posted:

You have to get a critical shot with a specific type of gun on a three star animal, which you see when you target it. Someone here should have an image of it.

e: here you go

Ah thanks!

Also, how do I make Arthur not underweight? I eat a lot of game meat but boy never gets any skin on his bones!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah thanks!

Also, how do I make Arthur not underweight? I eat a lot of game meat but boy never gets any skin on his bones!

I believe you can just go to sleep and it resets, I might be wrong.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Is online down for anyone else?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

rap music posted:

Is online down for anyone else?
Despite playing on October 26th, I haven't been able to get in all day and R* hasn't made a peep about it. My bet is they're cutting folks off in finer grain waves than just the 3 they've mentioned.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

R* please stop griefing me

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've had two disconnects today, probably how it'll be for a while.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

No I mean Im not even seeing it as an option on the title screen anymore.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

You know how sometimes when you're out hunting in single player and before you can get your pelts back to the trapper, you get ambushed by a cougar or a gang and get killed out of nowhere and lose all your pelts? Now imagine trying to do that and there are other human players who know exactly how frustrating it is to be killed when you have pelts on your horse, and they're happy to camp out by a vendor and one shot anyone who comes strolling up to sell their poo poo.

A whole bunch of poo poo in online isn't going to be fun until there's private lobbies. I got through a bunch of the missions yesterday, but the first time I tried to play the story missions that start in Blackwater, there were a couple of assholes just camping out by the mission giver and shooting anyone who got near.

I feel like you wrote this before actually ever having anything you're talking about happen to you and I'm not sure why you're so against having any fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Accidentally killed another player because I spawned into a bunch of O'Driscolls upon starting up the game. Since I'm a good cowboy I sent him an apology but lol it's really hard to tell if someone is a player unless you're constantly looking at your minimap.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Fixed it, I wasnt signed into PSN :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AndyElusive posted:

I feel like you wrote this before actually ever having anything you're talking about happen to you and I'm not sure why you're so against having any fun.

Nah I kept getting sniped trying to talk to a quest giver yesterday and it really soured me on my initial impressions. I am softening up as I've gotten to play a bit more and seeing less of that behavior in general but it's not really fun to have to deal with stuff like that to simply use basic game mechanics.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got tired of looking at my hideous crack whore character (despite my best efforts in the creation screen) so I have already made a new male character. The good news is it looks like you get to keep your money.

Maybe for GTA 6 Rockstar will figure out how to make women.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

rap music posted:

Wish that's what my issue was but nope, just not letting me in.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

rap music posted:

you griefed yourself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red Dead Redemption Online: Good Grief

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Red Dead Redemption Online: the Ballad of Griefer Scruggs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just did the Bounty Hunt with the Lemoyne Raiders in the old fort. There's an icon on the map indicating that there is a new weapon there (flashing with a down arrow) but I'm not seeing anything when I go to it. There a cellar or something I'm missing?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got tired of looking at my hideous crack whore character (despite my best efforts in the creation screen) so I have already made a new male character. The good news is it looks like you get to keep your money.

Maybe for GTA 6 Rockstar will figure out how to make women.

The thing is Abigail and Sadie, and most of the other women characters look fine, so not sure why Rockstar still has issues with creating a woman in a character creator

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I just did the Bounty Hunt with the Lemoyne Raiders in the old fort. There's an icon on the map indicating that there is a new weapon there (flashing with a down arrow) but I'm not seeing anything when I go to it. There a cellar or something I'm missing?

Yeah in one of the bottom shavks I think theres a chest you have to move out the way. There should be a rad knife to get

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

The thing is Abigail and Sadie, and most of the other women characters look fine, so not sure why Rockstar still has issues with creating a woman in a character creator

Somebody get bethesda on it.

Hihohe posted:

Yeah in one of the bottom shavks I think theres a chest you have to move out the way. There should be a rad knife to get

Slick. Thanks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

We're playing as the average joes and janes of the old west and they were all fugly.