Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I figured Magruber would be terrible. I mean, the sketch overran its welcome almost instantly, how do you make a movie out of that? It turned out to be pretty loving funny. I mean, it's no Wayne's World or Blues Brothers but it's way better than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

But yea that Soundtrack is pretty fantastic. Its sort of amazing how me and my friends were obessed with Matthew Sweet in the 90s. One saturday night they played a concert of his on CBC so we sat in my friends car listening to it while eating Timbits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzl3AB5tw-w

Check this out. Amazing '92 performance. Quine just kills it. And Dennis Miller is too dumb to realize how awesome it was.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I feel like the odd person out in society because I never got into SNL in the 90's. I liked MadTv as a kid/teen, but

Phanatic posted:

the sketch overran its welcome almost instantly
could be used to describe just about every part of SNL to me at the time, that and Jimmy Fallon being completely unable to finish a bit without loving up.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ryonguy posted:

I feel like the odd person out in society because I never got into SNL in the 90's. I liked MadTv as a kid/teen, but
could be used to describe just about every part of SNL to me at the time, that and Jimmy Fallon being completely unable to finish a bit without loving up.

What, how can you besmirch Jimmy "Forget the line, look straight into camera, and break character laughing" Fallon like that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ryonguy posted:

SNL was a powerhouse from 1990-1995. You had Kevin Nealon, Chris Rock, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Troy McClure, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Tim Meadows, and Norm MacDonald.

It was a severe letdown in 1996 when they canned everyone and you had Will Farrell and Colin Quinn as your standouts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Der Kyhe posted:

What, how can you besmirch Jimmy "Forget the line, look straight into camera, and break character laughing" Fallon like that?

Clearly he's Tonight Show material!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

SNL was a powerhouse from 1990-1995. You had Kevin Nealon, Chris Rock, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Troy McClure, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Tim Meadows, and Norm MacDonald.

It was a severe letdown in 1996 when they canned everyone and you had Will Farrell and Colin Quinn as your standouts.

God, that '90 to '95 era of SNL was amazing, probably the best cast overall they ever had.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think today's cast is much better. Kate McKinnon pretty much blows them all away.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Anyone else forced to watch Channel 1 News during high school? IIRC, it was Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling's first broadcasting jobs. We had to watch it during homeroom just before the school's video news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9l6hxy8No

edit-dear God, I figured there was gonna be a lot of 'I hated watching this poo poo in school' in the comments, but the number of unironic comments about it being leftist propaghanda and mind control is staggering.

uli2000 has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 29, 2018

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

uli2000 posted:

Anyone else forced to watch Channel 1 News during high school? IIRC, it was Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling's first broadcasting jobs. We had to watch it during homeroom just before the school's video news.

edit-dear God, I figured there was gonna be a lot of 'I hated watching this poo poo in school' in the comments, but the number of unironic comments about it being leftist propaghanda and mind control is staggering.

why did you do this to me?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I often watch this video. Something about it restores my faith in humanity. That something so effortlessly raw and cool can exist on this earth.

https://youtu.be/YZ5yKJlhbiA

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MTV The State's intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O9Eo-rlZZc

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

uli2000 posted:

Bad news folks, Channel 1 News got canned this summer.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What I remember about Channel 1 was that on the days we were going to watch it the teacher would leave the CRT TV on and tuned to the right channel way ahead of time, and I seemed to be the only one in class who found the ultra-high frequency of the idling TV both clearly audible and maddening. It was like an early preview of the tinnitus I now suffer as a old.

EeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Clearly he's Tonight Show material!

Jimmy Fallon constantly acts and sounds like he's desperately afraid that this will finally be the time that nobody laughs at what he just said and he's surprised that they actually did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seldom Posts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzl3AB5tw-w

Check this out. Amazing '92 performance. Quine just kills it. And Dennis Miller is too dumb to realize how awesome it was.

That's pretty fantastic. Sweet was this rocker that was also a big nerd, but like not just for anime and stuff, but also for his love of older stuff. Like who would stick Tuesday Weld on their album cover?

I am pretty sure I talked about this before but when I was in Jr High, if you didn't see SNL on Saturday night you weren't poo poo on Monday Morning. Waynes World, Church Lady, Superfans, Sprockets, Copy Guy Weekend Update were all part of our language, and whoever was the musical guest was the coolest, at least until next saturday. Kids would record the audio from the Musical Guests to listen to later.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qN64M6XhIE

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

one of my favorite SNL sketches from the 90s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Music in the 90s:

Does it seem to anyone else as though a bunch of 70s era heavy guitarists all stopped playing heavy music and each became yet another ageing white dude recording blues albums that all sounded exactly the same? Gary Moore and Pat Travers are the biggest examples that occur to me, or at least they're the guys whose earlier music I most prefer to their blues records. I think Leslie West might have done the same thing? I don't remember. Robin Trower of Procol Harum, certainly.

Did they all just see how much acclaim Stevie Ray Vaughan got and decided they wanted to be "legitimate" as well? What's up with that anyway? Critics didn't like heavy music but ageing white dudes (who were usually rich ageing white dudes by that stage in their career) playing the same John Lee Hooker riffs was "respectable". It is very strange.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think today's cast is much better. Kate McKinnon pretty much blows them all away.

Said no one, ever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Music in the 90s:

Does it seem to anyone else as though a bunch of 70s era heavy guitarists all stopped playing heavy music and each became yet another ageing white dude recording blues albums that all sounded exactly the same? Gary Moore and Pat Travers are the biggest examples that occur to me, or at least they're the guys whose earlier music I most prefer to their blues records. I think Leslie West might have done the same thing? I don't remember. Robin Trower of Procol Harum, certainly.

Did they all just see how much acclaim Stevie Ray Vaughan got and decided they wanted to be "legitimate" as well? What's up with that anyway? Critics didn't like heavy music but ageing white dudes (who were usually rich ageing white dudes by that stage in their career) playing the same John Lee Hooker riffs was "respectable". It is very strange.

Clapton, as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

one of my favorite SNL sketches from the 90s

Absolutely, to this day I'll occasionally make a comment about "rollin' doobies in a van down by the river"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Absolutely, to this day I'll occasionally make a comment about "rollin' doobies in a van down by the river"

Christina looks about half a second away from corpsing through most of it, too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dream On was edited and aired on Fox as well

First and Ten ran for a few years in syndication too, especially around the time of the OJ trial.

And, hell, Tales from the Crypt got their own Saturday Morning Cartoon series.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

What I remember about Channel 1 was that on the days we were going to watch it the teacher would leave the CRT TV on and tuned to the right channel way ahead of time, and I seemed to be the only one in class who found the ultra-high frequency of the idling TV both clearly audible and maddening. It was like an early preview of the tinnitus I now suffer as a old.

EeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh poo poo someone else who could hear that. People thought I was crazy because I could hear a TV that was on and muted's sine wave buzzing from a room away.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Oh poo poo someone else who could hear that. People thought I was crazy because I could hear a TV that was on and muted's sine wave buzzing from a room away.

High frequency sound is one of those super annoying things to explain to people, because a lot of people just aren't aware of it at all, nor do they realize that as they age ( or get hearing damage. ) their ability to hear higher frequency stuff erodes.

And then they look at you like you're crazy because you're mentioning how a monitor or a power supply or a lovely lightbulb is screeching.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SubNat posted:

High frequency sound is one of those super annoying things to explain to people, because a lot of people just aren't aware of it at all, nor do they realize that as they age ( or get hearing damage. ) their ability to hear higher frequency stuff erodes.

And then they look at you like you're crazy because you're mentioning how a monitor or a power supply or a lovely lightbulb is screeching.
What age am I supposed to stop hearing it at please tell me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Go to a Mastodon show.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It seems like we're destined to have this crossposted in every thread, but it definitely belongs here. The new Grimes song definitely hits that late-90s nostalgia button pretty hard. Specifically that just-before-9/11 high-gloss metallic neon future vibe. Sort of like a cleaner-sounding Orgy or Powerman 5000 song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Croccers posted:

What age am I supposed to stop hearing it at please tell me.

At a later one, there's no magical cutoff. (But I think it tends to start affecting people from the late 20s or so. )
You just get worse and worse at hearing them as your body slowly shuffles towards the grave. Functioning just slightly worse every day.
(Though to make up for it, you might luck out and lose the ability to hear high pitched sounds, but instead get tinnitus. )

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

SubNat posted:

I get this less than when I was younger but nowadays I'm actually a lot more bothered by low frequency sound for some reason. I got a new fridge and for a little while I was hearing some low frequency rumble when it would kick on and it feels like it makes my right eardrum twitch. Something deep in my ear anyway. I also get this sometimes when I'm indoors and hear someone's loud bass playing outdoors in a car. One time I heard something at work and I have no clue what it was but it made my ear do the twitchy thing and when I complained everyone else said they couldn't hear it! Eventually it stopped.
Maybe I should mention this to a doctor but it happens fairly infrequently and seems to just be really uncomfortable, not painful

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

Clapton, as well.

Hmm, well, Clapton didn't so much go from blues rock to just blues as he went from blues rock to easy listening. :v:

Of course he'd been there for years to one degree or another; "Wonderful Tonight" is from 1977.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm, well, Clapton didn't so much go from blues rock to just blues as he went from blues rock to easy listening. :v:

Of course he'd been there for years to one degree or another; "Wonderful Tonight" is from 1977.

And that is the worst song ever written.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Iron Crowned posted:

Wonderful Tonight is only like the first circle of the hell of easy listening, the rabbit hole goes oh so deeper.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SubNat posted:

As an analyst there is nothing worse than having this and having to live with the screech a monitor makes when you’re looking at a populated excel sheet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Wonderful Tonight owns, actually

hth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Wonderful Tonight owns, actually

hth

I don't know why I had any respect for you

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As an analyst there is nothing worse than having this and having to live with the screech a monitor makes when you’re looking at a populated excel sheet.

My previous monitor was lovely about that (Being a cheap one I bought online to get 2560x1440 IPS at like a quarter the price of ones locally. ) when I had large amount of white/light pages, with some black elements on, like Wikipedia.

Switching Excel to a different colour theme, like the black one might help alleviate that. (Or perhaps making cell colours like 10-20% grey instead of white.)

Or possibly see if you can't wrangle a monitor upgrade for 'increased productivity'.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Music in the 90s:

The bluesdads went primetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know why I had any respect for you

Words hurt