Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

In the midst of toothache fatigue I must have missed the launch. Will watch. She's Top Hat Gaming Man's wifey and thoroughly cool (yes, the UK retro YouTube scene is an incestuous, disgraceful clique/hellscape of depravity where we all know each other and hold everybody else down unless we approve them or they marry someone else)

Royalty reproducing itself, I see, in culture as well as in issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AysiEDPQzlQ

Super Bunny Hop looks at the "historical" setting of the Soul Calibur series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEYuPzujbo

Films'n'Stuff examines how the Russo Brothers' Marvel films use action to elevate character.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 28, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AysiEDPQzlQ

Super Bunny Hop looks at the "historical" setting of the Soul Calibur series.

As a big fan of Soul Calibur, I really liked this breakdown a lot. Though I wish it would have added Kilik into the analysis, since he rounds out the trio of the closest thing the series has ever had to main protagonists along with Maxi and Xianghua. He also missed some references in Mitsurugi's backstory (not surprising, because character details change in every installment and trying to create a unified canon for the series will drive men mad) that has him trying to prove the value of the sword in an increasing age of gunpowder, which isn't completely out of place here, but typically slots into popular history later than the game's era. He's really a general amalgamation of Samurai/Ronin tropes that span centuries, which is very fitting for the series.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if loot boxes get recognized as gambling what does that mean for poo poo like this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

AriadneThread posted:

if loot boxes get recognized as gambling what does that mean for poo poo like this?

They'll be banned.
So will Kinder Eggs and blind bagged hipster vinyl toys and cereal boxs with toys inside you can't see.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
by the by is there some problem with vox media, I remember that there's some kind of serious issue with them but I liked this video about Jazz and want to watch more of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So will Kinder Eggs and blind bagged hipster vinyl toys and cereal boxs with toys inside you can't see.

Kinder Eggs were considered contraband here in the US for years and we just kinda, sorta got them back!

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

by the by is there some problem with vox media, I remember that there's some kind of serious issue with them but I liked this video about Jazz and want to watch more of them
Ezra fought back against the staff's attempts to unionize, but the staff won.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Kinder Eggs were considered contraband here in the US for years and we just kinda, sorta got them back!

do we have real kinder eggs? I've seen ads and they're for these weird split egg things where one half of the pack is full of some kinda chocolate mousse looking thing and the other has the toy in it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

do we have real kinder eggs? I've seen ads and they're for these weird split egg things where one half of the pack is full of some kinda chocolate mousse looking thing and the other has the toy in it.

They're Kinder Joy, which were originally made for hot climates where the original chocolate eggs would melt but also managed to skirt around the law that made Kinder Eggs illegal.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They'll be banned.

Good riddance. Bring back Oregon Trail 2 cereal boxes.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Adam Neely, the bassist they interview, has a pretty great channel for jazz related topics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AriadneThread posted:

I'd say loot crates like that aren't the same thing. You're getting physical objects that are equal in value to the money spent, they're priced to entice a single one-off purchase instead of a constant stream of small ones and the expectation is "What will you get from this small range? It's a surprise..." rather than "KEEP ROLLING FOR THE RARE ONES!! KEEP. ROLLING. FOREVER!!"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say loot crates like that aren't the same thing. You're getting physical objects that are equal in value to the money spent, they're priced to entice a single one-off purchase instead of a constant stream of small ones and the expectation is "What will you get from this small range? It's a surprise..." rather than "KEEP ROLLING FOR THE RARE ONES!! KEEP. ROLLING. FOREVER!!"

I thought the thing with Loot Crate (that is, the Loot Crate brand specifically) was that paraphernalia was low quality, leftover trinkets from conventions, or merchandise they couldn't sell otherwise. Like I remember there was a thing a while back where they had an Infinity Glove baking mitt in one pack that they had to recall because it wasn't actually insulated properly.

I assume that not all subscription grab-bags are like that, though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Max Wilco posted:

I thought the thing with Loot Crate (that is, the Loot Crate brand specifically) was that paraphernalia was low quality, leftover trinkets from conventions, or merchandise they couldn't sell otherwise. Like I remember there was a thing a while back where they had an Infinity Glove baking mitt in one pack that they had to recall because it wasn't actually insulated properly.

I assume that not all subscription grab-bags are like that, though.

oh, i hadn't even thought about loot crate
the specific thing i linked to is more like 'give us $50 and we'll give you three random items that could be worth up to $200!!!!'
they're trying to entice people to buy a mystery box item on the random chance that'll have been a better deal then buying the thing directly
at least, i think that's the idea? i know it's been around for awhile, but this was the first time i actually paid any attention, and it just seems weirdly similar to video game loot boxes, just with physical items

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The loot boxes - digital microtransactions - that are 'threatened' by gambling laws are not the same thing at all as loot crates - physical item boxes - which are not threatened by gambling laws in the slightest. The common function between the two - paying money for a blind box - is not part of the discussion.

It's that digital loot boxes have a number of attributes not present in the other that tip them into literal gambling, such as if tokens for a loot box are purchasable with real money then that makes the act of buying a loot box a game of chance rather than skill (can only be purchased with currency earned in-game ); that because it's not currently recognised as gambling the game of chance is not regulated and can be gamed by the publisher at will (this is why many gacha phone games have to list the actual percentage chances of what you can get, so they can be audited by regulators); and in some cases the items themselves are fungible to an equivalent cash value and are explicitly used for gambling due to this, such as in CS:GO, or function as such in the same way that Pachinko stays legal in Japan by offering items that are then immediately dumped out for cash.

Part of the crackdown is also on the fact that publishers are very aware that their loot boxes are gambling and exploitative, to the degree that Activision literally applied for a patent on their techniques of using the same sort of anticipation/celebratory feedback as slot machines do in order to stimulate purchases of loot boxes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus. is that on consoles too?

pretty sure sony would just loving sue them if it was because they have very rigid rules about games are how and aren't allowed to work on their platform.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I can't say this any kind of certainty, but I'll bet it was the fault of something stupid via their trash personal platform/launcher they're trying to force if you wanna play that broke as a joke game on PC.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

In fairly surprising news, Nintendo are shutting down their Creators Program as of next month. Obviously this will now make creating let's plays/reviews/documentaries and streams of Nintendo games much less of a pain in the arse (raw gameplay footage of Nintendo games is still not permitted) seeing as you now don't have to engage with their shite-arse partner program and be covered by the YouTube Program like basically everything else, and a lot of pretty Nintendo-centric creators have praised the move...not that there's anything bad about it really - it's more like...y'know, an end to the ludicrous and lovely deal at last.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I refuse to believe Nintendo has ever made any correct decision with regards to literally anything outside of the actual act of making games

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
S.Munroe has a talk on Dark Souls 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQ_82Lnz4U

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People making "Nintendo is taking my revenue we need to stand up" in <currenty year OOL> was one of my favorite things of aspiring youtube superstars :saddowns:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEYuPzujbo

Films'n'Stuff examines how the Russo Brothers' Marvel films use action to elevate character.

Thanks for recommending it, that was fun.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

This person has bad opinions on Dark Souls and HBomberguy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can't tell if this means liking or disliking hbomberguy in this context, possibly both

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

doesn't he make like 3 hour lore videos and response videos?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's POOOOORLY MAAAAAADE

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

doesn't he make like 3 hour lore videos and response videos?

I don't think so, no? His channel doesn't have anything like that on there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the PvP in Dark Souls 2 is the best in the franchise and it has a lot of good ideas, but I think it mucked up in some of its execution and I really disliked the homing enemies. I was OK with the game. Wasn't as high or low on it as others. But I only played through it once, so maybe going through it again may change my mind.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

I don't think so, no? His channel doesn't have anything like that on there.

poo poo that was another guy. sorry. there was some dude who got mad at hbomber vid on souls and made like 3 hour response and lore videos.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

a cartoon duck posted:

i can't tell if this means liking or disliking hbomberguy in this context, possibly both

hbomberguy is best bomberguy

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are absolutely ones that have a SUPER RARE GOLDEN FIGURE and similar poo poo to keep you buying. They are loving everywhere and in every flavor, from Rick & Mort keychains to Pony plushes. I have no idea if toy makers looked at video games and thought “that’s not a bad idea...” but predatory ones exist and I’m sure even without rarity people may drop 50 bucks to get their Favorite. It’s bad, even more so being targeted at a younger demographic.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo that was another guy. sorry. there was some dude who got mad at hbomber vid on souls and made like 3 hour response and lore videos.

You’re thinking of MauLer, who I see circlejerked in the comments of any related DS2 video or thread as “thoroughly decimated Hbomb” or things to that effect. Also it’s like 10 hours of videos.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It is 10 hour long videos

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Biomute posted:

hbomberguy is best bomberguy

This post made me wonder what happened to bomberman. Like drat put him in a Smash Bros game or something.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

GrandpaPants posted:

This post made me wonder what happened to bomberman. Like drat put him in a Smash Bros game or something.

He had a game last year that’s pretty good actually! You can get it on pretty much everything, I think, Super Bomberman R.

Also he’s an Assist Trophy in Ultimate.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

It is 10 hour long videos

I thought it was 8,. what the gently caress. This isn't just a work day, this is a work day and the next shift called in and you gotta stay overtime but its slow and you have nothing to do and they finally send you home when the next next shift comes in.

My day at work was great today by the way.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Why didn't the internet freak out over this like they did for Waluigi? E: At least Bomberman was unique.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Because we got Snake back, plus Simon AND Richter Belmont.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bladeworksmaster posted:

He had a game last year that’s pretty good actually! You can get it on pretty much everything, I think, Super Bomberman R.

super bomberman r is absolute loving garbage what the gently caress are you talking about

the best thing that can be said about it is that at least it isn't act zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Leal posted:

I thought it was 8,. what the gently caress. This isn't just a work day, this is a work day and the next shift called in and you gotta stay overtime but its slow and you have nothing to do and they finally send you home when the next next shift comes in.

It was 8, then there was "my own defence of DS2" which is functionally pat of the series, plus an additional follow up.

He also keeps demanding I debate him.