Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

FWIW, I think even in the world where Wlad turned up the heat earlier, he’d still have a great deal of trouble overcoming the horrible style match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I don’t actually think Fury’s win over Wladimir Klitschko means much style wise when comparing it to how he’d do against Wilder, as Klitschko was a robotic 1-2 style boxer puncher, and Wilder has terrible technique and basically just relies on his power, but that doesn’t mean that Wilder can’t win. Klitschko was also maybe the most overrated heavyweight of all time; as he spent the vast majority of his career beating up nobodies who were a half a foot shorter than him, and got dominated the couple times he fought guys who were both big and good (Corrie Sanders, Tyson Fury).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think Wilder is a much better style match up because Wilder is completely chill with losing rounds while he works on landing, while his immense range and surprisingly fast hands should be pretty decent weapons against Fury's loose, movement based defence.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

British boxing fans are massive homers, see all the people who were picking Bellew to beat Usyk.

Let's not overdo it, betting odds are usually an indicator of what people think will happen and Usyk was 1/6 on

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It's going to be a terrible fight and Wilder is going to win. Take it to the bank.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lionel Richie posted:

Let's not overdo it, betting odds are usually an indicator of what people think will happen and Usyk was 1/6 on

I take it you weren't following the BBC live text then, because it was 90% people picking Bellew to win in rounds 10-12 because of "heart".

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

No I go by actual things and not what some rube writes on twitter

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lionel Richie posted:

No I go by actual things and not what some rube writes on twitter

if we're talking about fans' views then I find it useful to look at the view of some fans

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

So "all" these people picking Bellew to beat Usyk are the two tweets or whatever you saw on bbc live text? Trust me if anyone actually thought Bellew would win then Usyk wouldn't be 1 to loving 6

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You're aware that odds are set due to the total amount wagered rather than the number of wagers, right? Pro gamblers throwing down thousands on Usyk doesn't mean there weren't plenty of people sticking a tenner on Bellew.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

You're right there were probably a lot of people who did that, not many would've been boxing fans though, just the standard "bets on the grand national and any other reasonably large sporting event" crowd. I know people like to circlejerk it any time a British boxer is fighting but come on there was no massive movement of boxing fans who thought Bellew was either the favourite or was going to win.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I mean I'm not trying to argue that serious boxing fans (ie everyone in this thread) thought Bellew would win, just that a Brit in a high-profile match like that tends to bring out a lot of casual British fans who think their guy is going to win and who have probably seen the other guy once at most.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think Fury will have his moments and make Wilder look awkward (as if he doesn't do that himself anyway) but he'll walk on to something at some point and that will be it.

I'm not 100% convinced that Fury isn't having a cash grab of a fight here. He knows even if he loses, he can 'retire' for a year but still be enough of a figure in the British Press at least that he can get big money fights in the future (David Haye made plenty of money doing this). Apart from the Klitschko fight, Fury just doesn't really have an outstanding win and I'm confused at how much people fall for the schtick.

EDIT: But idksab so...

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

See I know the hype for this fight is good because we’re getting the kind of dumbass arguments you’d see in mma threads instead of all three thread regulars agreeing in slightly different ways

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Fury is going to win because he is slightly taller

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One thing Fury has going for him is he proved he can beat a guy his own size in a fight. Klitschko lost in part because he fought a big guy's fight on the outside and did not realize until way too late that he was outranged, he was too used to being the biggest guy in every fight. I don't think Wilder has fought a guy as big as himself yet.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Why are any of us acting like this is going to be an actual good fight and not like 2 drunk cats slapping at each other.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm psyched for this even if I have to watch it early Sunday morning (I live in Asia). I think it will be a great fight because it has a fun narrative, even if it's not amazing boxing. It is the heavyweight division after all.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm psyched for this even if I have to watch it early Sunday morning (I live in Asia). I think it will be a great fight because it has a fun narrative, even if it's not amazing boxing. It is the heavyweight division after all.

:same: I think it'll be wild

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wilder fights are always pretty fun. There's a chance it stinks if Fury nullifies him completely, but these are two huge guys so I figure something fun will happen. I think Wilder is the kind of guy who would rather flip out and get his rear end kicked than lose a decision.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I think the fight will be good.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Lol the fight is going to absolutely loving suck, wish I could take bets on it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

criminal they don't have a "will the fight suck" betting line

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Yeah no doubt the fight will be really bad until the one glorious moment where Wilder catches fury.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

These guys have too much punching power between them for this to be boring, even if it turns into a chinch fest there's still gonna be tension when either guy has his hands free.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1068159645263556608

Fury has a huge head on him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

criminal they don't have a "will the fight suck" betting line

Can you parlay Decision + No knockdowns + Wilder < 50 landed punches ?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I'm just mostly disappointed that John Fury couldn't get a Visa because he once ripped out someone's eyeball.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

There's probably more of them not allowed in than are. Peter Fury doesn't train him anymore but last time Tyson fought in the US he wasn't allowed in either. Lovely family.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I suspect a load of the MTK crew can't go either because of the links to the kinahans

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

its gonna be a bad fight and its gonna be stupid and its gonna be cool.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

fury’s gonna win

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

kimbo305 posted:

Can you parlay Decision + No knockdowns + Wilder < 50 landed punches ?

Watching Wilder windmilling is fun. Plus you know Fury will be talking serious trash in the ring and trying to get in his head.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1068286002941300736?s=21

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Obligatory cant break the law if you cant read it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

who's got the fight thread for this? Ninth?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Switching gears; Oleksandr Usyk will be at the Chisora/Whyte fight on December 22nd, ostensibly to scout out the winner for his first fight at heavyweight in 2019 (which will I assume occur on the undercard of Anthony Joshua's April card). I don't like this plan for Usyk, who doesn't have the power or speed to really look good against a legit top 8 heavyweight, and might even lose. As good as Usyk is, he's probably going to give up 40 or even 50 pounds to say, Dillian Whyte. I'd much rather see him take a fight against a Bryant Jennings or Adam Kownacki; fringe top 10 guys who are more physically ordinary and unlikely to catch Usyk with anything heavy enough to hurt him. If Usyk really does fight the Chisora/Whyte winner as his first foray into heavyweight, he has bigger balls than I thought.

Eddie Hearn is also saying that Usyk would stay at cruiserweight if Adonis Stevenson or Andre Ward moved up and fought him there, but I don't see that happening. Stevenson is 41 and probably going to lose his next fight to Gvozdyk, and Ward is retired and would need at least one tuneup before taking on a guy like Usyk.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

who's got the fight thread for this? Ninth?

Yeah I'll write something up tomorrow. It's definitely worth a thread.

Also, lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9ovhLqTF0

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

floyd's gonna take some real stupid fights real quick, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FOTY - Jeff Horn vs. Anthony Mundine