Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think it's "Telephone Line", but that did make me think for a second that maybe I hadn't listened closely. Lyrically it must be close to it. Or maybe it was cover so sloppy I didn't catch it. I doubt it, since they'd just played a pretty decent version of 'Let It Be'.

Abel Wingnut posted:

is it yachty or more soft rock?

I'd say more soft rock. Although I have heard it before, I can't be sure I recall the full arrangement from hearing it on the guitar the guy was playing.

For some reason I associate the song with stuff like 'Escape', but probably because it has the vibe of either divorce or infidelity, not due to musical style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Is there a place for figuring out chords of songs? I'm trying to get this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKb4Wa8DD0&t=2s

There's C and F and G... but it all gets a bit jumbled pretty quick. It's not on tab pro and I can't find it anywhere really, and I'm dying to get it so figured I'd ask here.

Anyway it's a great track so if nothing else please enjoy some early 2000's Australian... Soul Ska? What would you even call this. Great band, this is off their self titled debut, go check it out. 2nd album Two Shoes is good too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kangra posted:

I don't think it's "Telephone Line", but that did make me think for a second that maybe I hadn't listened closely. Lyrically it must be close to it. Or maybe it was cover so sloppy I didn't catch it. I doubt it, since they'd just played a pretty decent version of 'Let It Be'.

I'd say more soft rock. Although I have heard it before, I can't be sure I recall the full arrangement from hearing it on the guitar the guy was playing.

For some reason I associate the song with stuff like 'Escape', but probably because it has the vibe of either divorce or infidelity, not due to musical style.

maybe a fleetwood mac song? something off of tusk? i'd explore whatever 70s la-based am gold you can find

ok, actually listening to this eagles song. kind of reminds me of the doobies' 'south city lady'

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 31, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

maybe a fleetwood mac song? something off of tusk? i'd explore whatever 70s la-based am gold you can find

ok, actually listening to this eagles song. kind of reminds me of the doobies' 'south city lady'

I'm starting to think there's a good chance it's a Bread song. I listened to "Make It With You" and "Lost Without Your Love" and it could possibly have been one of them. The memory of the exact song I heard is starting to fade at this point.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hobo Erotica posted:

Is there a place for figuring out chords of songs? I'm trying to get this one:

Along these lines, is there any way to explain how to play a tab? I guess I need to learn to read sheet music, but the baseline to entertain me by Blur has always eluded me, it sounds fairly straightforward, but then the tab goes so far away from what I'm expecting and I just can't fathom it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

!Klams posted:

Along these lines, is there any way to explain how to play a tab? I guess I need to learn to read sheet music, but the baseline to entertain me by Blur has always eluded me, it sounds fairly straightforward, but then the tab goes so far away from what I'm expecting and I just can't fathom it.

Can you post the tab so we can check? It should be pretty simple if you know how to read it... Although not all tabs are accurate of course. Sometimes they get lazy, or they don't line up right, or they're just way off all together... But I wouldn't really bother with sheet music to be honest.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Incredible long shot but:

My local NPR station was doing a feature on baroque music, and they played a piece that I know I've heard in a few movies or movie trailers from the past 10 years. All I can tell you about the music is that it was mostly strings, and the opening bars went: minor chord, minor chord, rest, rest. So have there been any notable baroque songs in movie trailers in the past decade?

Edit: It was Handel's Sarabande, and I specifically remember it from this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG9uFX3uYq4

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

!Klams posted:

I would ask the bass thread in Musician’s Lounge. Sometimes people just write terrible tabs though.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
So, I know the songs, but I can't find a way to purchase the mp3s. I've searched extensively.... I don't think I've ever had this problem before.

The artist and album are titled: Lisa Burns, released in 1978 on MCA Records.

It's really bugging me because I heard a song on the radio, "Slow Burn" and I can't find the audio anywhere online. I discovered it when my alarm clock radio was set to a random station. I woke up to When You Walk in the Room (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWJVB6Dtvw) and then they played the other song, it had a cool, driving drum intro. But mostly, I just adore her warbly voice. Anyone know how I can get the album?

Here's a brief article about the album that I found.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, if absolutely all else fails, the record is dirt cheap on discogs, and if you have or know someone with a turntable it's fairly easy to record the audio. Commercial digitization services are available too, and some libraries have setups as well.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Solo violin piece, played on WFMT sometime between March and June. Written in the last few years by a woman with a common-ish first name with a non-standard spelling. Very tonal. Starts and ends with a recording of crickets.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Song used as a punchline for either joke sex situations or when an attractive person is on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04fn1wtKg0&t=826s

13:46 if the link doesn't work.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Song used as a punchline for either joke sex situations or when an attractive person is on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04fn1wtKg0&t=826s

13:46 if the link doesn't work.

I don't think it matches the clip, but is this what you were thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Synthetic Hermit posted:

"A metal song" is pretty broad. Can you give an example of a band that it sounded similar to? Or a specific genre/era?

Thats why its been so hard as I can't lock down any truly useful details, the song reminded me of Sepultra but not as thrashy

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I woke up this morning to a thundering bass line, and thought I was having an auditory hallucination. Thanks to Nest, I know I wasn't crazy (well...), but now I want to know what the song is!

https://clyp.it/qab3srll

Sorry for the quality. I don't know how to extract better audio from a mid-2000s Corvette driving down an alley using a security camera.

Any help appreciated!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My brain won't let me believe that's not a remix of Bananarama's "Cruel Summer"

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

signalnoise posted:

My brain won't let me believe that's not a remix of Bananarama's "Cruel Summer"
Oof, that would be amazing. Best guess I’ve heard so far is FreeStyle - Don’t Stop the Rock. Pretty similar, but I don’t think it’s right.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Does anyone know of a song with the lyrics "Buy it now"? It was played during this week's episode of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, very briefly. I think some of the other words were 'this offer won't last forever' but there was talking over it. It happened in this week's episode with Aaron Gordon at around 10-11 min., which I would link, but unfortunately the radio music and podcast music is not the same, so listening to that will not help you identify it unless you heard the on-air broadcast.

It sounded kind of folky, and might be a parody of "Both Sides Now" but I wouldn't say that for certain.

(And no it's not Soft Cell's "Persuasion" or Paul Westerberg's "Jingle").

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm looking for a rap song, and need help.

- It was from the 90s, I think. Or early 2000s.
- It had a verse where two rappers rapped at the same time, but they did it like, they were harmonizing with each other.
- It think it was NWA? It wasn't a duo of rappers, it was a group of them and they took turns doing verses, except for this one verse.

e: Oh, lmao, it's Something Like That by the NWA.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 20, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds kinda like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's gimmick except they did that all the time. Could be any of their tracks.

e: welp :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sounds kinda like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's gimmick and could be any of their tracks I guess, have you looked in that direction?

Never heard of these guys, so thanks! I'm really digging the sound of rap doing more than just "verse by one dude / chorus / verse by one dude"

e: Whoa, the first track in their E1999 Eternal album is doing some incredible stuff, I love it.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 20, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Early Beastie Boys did that a lot too in case you've somehow never listened to Paul's Boutique

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kangra posted:

This was a soft rock song, and sounds a bit like The Eagles "Best of My Love", but probably came a little after it. I think there's some lyrics about 'calling you' or 'your number' in the early verses. (No it's not "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". I'd call it more flaccid than either of the two songs I mentioned.)

I heard this song played live as I was leaving the farmer's market, so it's presumably popular enough to be in the repertoire of the musical acts that would play those.

Answering my own question from a bit back, but thanks to the Yacht Rock HoF special I realized this was Todd Rundgren's "Hello It's Me".

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone help me identify this? I'm pretty sure it's from Metal Gear, but I can't seem to find it:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s05tVhOsnfJA

There's also this one. I'm not sure what it's from:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s15dHGK8iP2F

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First one's definitely the Metal Gear Solid main theme, there were a few variations of it but if you google that it'll pop up right away. That motif tends to not appear until a minute or two in, though. MGS 1 and especially 2 definitely had it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Comedy answer: It's this, which the original MGS composer plagiarized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v7t2p7FR0

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Comedy answer: It's this, which the original MGS composer plagiarized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v7t2p7FR0

holy crap that is lawsuit-able similar

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
There is an alternative/pop rock song I am trying to find that I am pretty sure is 90's(?) but might be early 2000's.

It would show up on my third eye blind Pandora station. The singer has this really boyish, almost hoarse voice, and I'm pretty sure the song is about a girl being better or too cool for him or something.

I could have sworn it was matchbox 20 but it's not, apparently. I want to say the art that came with the song had a guy with a darker skin tone (like Arabic/Indian) on it but not 100% on that.

This is driving me insane

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Scionix posted:

There is an alternative/pop rock song I am trying to find that I am pretty sure is 90's(?) but might be early 2000's.

It would show up on my third eye blind Pandora station. The singer has this really boyish, almost hoarse voice, and I'm pretty sure the song is about a girl being better or too cool for him or something.

I could have sworn it was matchbox 20 but it's not, apparently. I want to say the art that came with the song had a guy with a darker skin tone (like Arabic/Indian) on it but not 100% on that.

Sounds like it could be Tal Bachman - She's so high.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Easy-Bake Coven posted:

Sounds like it could be Tal Bachman - She's so high.

It's not that song but it is exactly that type of sound.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

Scionix posted:

It would be way too easy for this to be Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me (even though that's from 2010) - I doubt it, but it's the first thing that came to mind. (The single art is B&W and I can see someone thinking he was darker than the pasty white boy he actually is.) He certainly does have a voice I could describe as "hoarse", lol.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Scionix posted:

The first thing that comes to mind as far as I Wish I Could Date Her songs from that era, and that for some reason I was reminded of by "She's So High", is Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoD8JEFjAE

Not so sure about boyish, but I think "almost hoarse" is a good way to describe that guy's voice. The band's appearance in this particular art also kinda makes their skin tones darker: https://goo.gl/images/WQ7TfD

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Teenage dirtbag?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

misguided rage posted:

Teenage dirtbag?

I was gonna suggest that, but that guy’s voice is too nasally to be described as “hoarse” and he would never be described as “dark-skinned”

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Scionix posted:

something by motion city soundtrack?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems too obvious, but it's not "Story of a Girl" by ninedays is it? I just imagine that would show up on a Third Eye Blind channel. Album art is kind of desaturated so the band might appear darker than in person.

Another possibility is Eagle-Eye Cherry, kind of a raspy boyish voice, and he's mixed-race. Not sure about a song that fits, though.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 1, 2018

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kangra posted:

Another possibility is Eagle-Eye Cherry, kind of a raspy boyish voice, and he's mixed-race. Not sure about a song that fits, though.

specifically his hit, Save Tonight?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
it was a cover of "she's so high above me" by some random :psyduck:

not sure how pandora works that one out

good to know there are a bunch of people with 90's alt guilty pleasures though :allears:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

holy crap that is lawsuit-able similar

Part of the theme, the one that plays in game during alerts, also sounds suspiciously similar to I Would Die 4 U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A long time ago, SA had a video on Flash Tub or its precursor that contained a song by a techno/electronic band that sounded like a remix of circus music. The SA video had some clown faces at the end (or the whole video, I don't remember exactly). I'm trying to find the song. Any help is appreciated.