Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/gm-chevy-volt-factory-shutdown-electric-investmet/

It sounds as though GM is still moving forward with EV technology, just putting it into larger vehicles.

Seems very hand-wavey and non-specific. Sounds more like they want to wait till batteries are cheap enough they can hit whatever margins they want, and in the meantime mostly produce *UVs and trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Qwijib0 posted:

Volvo's bringing a PHEV wagon back to the states

28 mile EV range.

edit: wow, from march, totally missed it

Ooh, pretty.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It sounds like Americans want trucks and *UVs, and they aren't going to sell an AWD hatchback Volt to a disinterested audience, they're going to sell an AWD crossover with a roof rack on a modified (gen 3+) voltec powertrain that's +11000 more base price.

Edit: I don't know what shithole you live in, but as far as I can tell the hip 24-40 crowd with money to burn like to spend their weekends camping and poo poo. Or at least like to pretend they do.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 28, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Rivian revealed the SUV version, I love it! I think the goofy headlights work much better on the SUV but are still goofy.

Why this is not a concept from LandRover is just baffling. I don't believe Rivian can deliver on the specs (they are to good to be true), but I'll be glad if I'm wrong. Tesla has shown perhaps the hardest part of EVs is scaling, even on a somewhat boutique vehicle like this and the truck. I don't think the legacy automakers are really taking EV things seriously so I'll cheer on the little guys and hope for some of them to breakout into the mass market over the next 10 years.

EDIT: Here is a video of Rivian doing "trucky" stuff. Going off road, camping, etc.

https://vimeo.com/301410788

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 28, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, those specs seem like a very tall order. I think Land Rover has mumbled something, but I think they will take ages to produce anything beyond 3D renders. Off road, four independent electric motors will own anything gas driven so hard it won't even be funny. And what about all the UK middle class people who think they need a Ranger Rover to drive the kids to school? If they could do green while reading the Guardian with a good conscience, they would run to Land Rover dealers with wheelbarrows of money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

spandexcajun posted:

Rivian revealed the SUV version, I love it! I think the goofy headlights work much better on the SUV but are still goofy.

Why this is not a concept from LandRover is just baffling. I don't believe Rivian can deliver on the specs (they are to good to be true), but I'll be glad if I'm wrong. Tesla has shown perhaps the hardest part of EVs is scaling, even on a somewhat boutique vehicle like this and the truck. I don't think the legacy automakers are really taking EV things seriously so I'll cheer on the little guys and hope for some of them to breakout into the mass market over the next 10 years.

EDIT: Here is a video of Rivian doing "trucky" stuff. Going off road, camping, etc.

They couldn't even pull off photoshopping that car properly, let alone building it.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They couldn't even pull off photoshopping that car properly, let alone building it.

Are you implying that is some render or mock up? I am not sure what you are saying. They built them (concepts), they unveiled them yesterday. If you talking about building / selling /scaling, sure that is to be seen.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

spandexcajun posted:

That is the evil truck from cars 2 you can't fool me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spandexcajun posted:

Can I get one that’s got cloth seats, a steel roof, a manual tailgate, and doesn’t cost $70k?
Because I’d like one to use as a truck, not how hipsters and the average soccer mom use a truck. Tech and luxury are nice, but I don’t need all that breakable stuff in my pickup. The dash is fine - at least it has a display in front of the driver unlike another popular overpriced electric vehicle - and I can deal with the styling. As long as it hauls stuff, and pulls stuff.
Of course, even a regular full size pickup is $30k and up now outside of the work truck stripper models. Maybe those, too.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Of course, even a regular full size pickup is $50k and up now.

FTFY if we are talking about 4x4 + king / crew cab.

Rivian is clearly going after the suburban RangeRover crowd, not the 'merica crowd.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

That is the evil truck from cars 2 you can't fool me.

That was my wife's comment too, but she followed it up with "I guess you can tell I have seen Cars 2 too many times".
Hopefully its all powered by a Rover v8 hidden under a "battery cover" too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spandexcajun posted:

FTFY if we are talking about 4x4 + king / crew cab.

Rivian is clearly going after the suburban RangeRover crowd, not the 'merica crowd.

True enough on both counts.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ola posted:

Yeah, those specs seem like a very tall order. I think Land Rover has mumbled something, but I think they will take ages to produce anything beyond 3D renders. Off road, four independent electric motors will own anything gas driven so hard it won't even be funny. And what about all the UK middle class people who think they need a Ranger Rover to drive the kids to school? If they could do green while reading the Guardian with a good conscience, they would run to Land Rover dealers with wheelbarrows of money.

Land Rover would have trouble producing a very high spec electric SUV? As in Jaguar Land Rover? Please look up the I-PACE and how Tata is betting the farm on electric cars because you know, India, and China by extension.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new Aviator phev will have a 7 seat option and a "pure ev" mode where it runs entirely on battery.

They haven't said what the battery capacity or range is, but it'll probably only be like 25 miles.

They said the electric motor is in the 10 speed auto, so it'll probably be the same tech as the mustang, f-150, and bronco hybrid will use. It also suggests a ranger hybrid and exploder hybrid would be a pretty easy option to add.

The f-150 hybrid test mule is also sporting a plug on the front fender, so will obviously be a plug-in hybrid.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 29, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is the best DIY EV video I've seen on YouTube. Come for the wheelies and doughnuts in the snow (24m), stay for the charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonNm-THM3Q

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Land Rover would have trouble producing a very high spec electric SUV? As in Jaguar Land Rover? Please look up the I-PACE and how Tata is betting the farm on electric cars because you know, India, and China by extension.

You're right, I forgot everybody owns everybody else. But we haven't seen anything yet.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

spandexcajun posted:

Are you implying that is some render or mock up? I am not sure what you are saying. They built them (concepts), they unveiled them yesterday. If you talking about building / selling /scaling, sure that is to be seen.

The image of the car - which looks like a render - was plopped into an outdoor photo with almost no regard for lighting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has to be the best actually-affordable EV on the market at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATZ0g-Sz2s

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ola posted:

The Bolt came out 2 years ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ClassH posted:

The Bolt came out 2 years ago.

QED

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

this is the best DIY EV video I've seen on YouTube. Come for the wheelies and doughnuts in the snow (24m), stay for the charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonNm-THM3Q

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jimong5 posted:

Disappointed that the volt is dead, I love mine, but to me this seems more about closing the hamtramck plant than killing the volt. Hopefully voltec finds its way into other vehicles, but another part of it seems like GM is doubling down on BEV. The market for PHEV will probably shrink due to people either never wanting to give up gas, or people wanting to buy cars based of a gen 2 bolt derivative instead.

This is 100% about killing hamtramck north and the Volt being/not being manufactured has no effect on GM’ EV strategy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The image of the car - which looks like a render - was plopped into an outdoor photo with almost no regard for lighting.

Did you miss the actual video of said car driving....???

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That video existing doesn't mean the image being discussed is A-not a render or B- an image superimposed over a nature shot (look at that front tire's edges for gently caress's sake).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhn1OPO3Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcWjq7JSjo

even real cars don't use real cars in their commercials.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 30, 2018

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Will be interested to see if they exist outside a few California markets before 2020.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That is so cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just watched the Vimeo vid, yeah the dynamic shots are 100% CGI. The bits where the humans are interacting with portions of it look like physical mock ups, but none of the on or off road footage is a real car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Godholio posted:

That video existing doesn't mean the image being discussed is A-not a render or B- an image superimposed over a nature shot (look at that front tire's edges for gently caress's sake).

The post I was replying to was basically implying the car doesnt exist, when it clearly does. Wether it's on a photoshop I don't give a gently caress about given every other car company does it.

God drat. Yeah I take the its on video comment back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seriously, stop letting lovely marketing fucks sell you on what they think is possible. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

0-60 in 3 seconds and 400 mile range, lick my loving balls.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Seriously, stop letting lovely marketing fucks sell you on what they think is possible. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

0-60 in 3 seconds and 400 mile range, lick my loving balls.

That seems fine?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ola posted:

It is ugly. I have spoken and so shall it be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

That seems fine?

No it doesn't. It's what some dude who's in charge of racking up pre-orders thinks will be possible by the time they expect to ship. range = weight. Weight = slow. Not to mention it's overcoming the aerodynamic disadvantage of being a loving truck.

use your loving head.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

No it doesn't. It's what some dude who's in charge of racking up pre-orders thinks will be possible by the time they expect to ship. range = weight. Weight = slow. Not to mention it's overcoming the aerodynamic disadvantage of being a loving truck.

use your loving head.

It's got 180 kW-h batteries, versus a Tesla 3's 75. More than double the power to add ~25% range. Seems to fit with being a truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's got whatever the marketing man says it could have. It's up to engineering to figure out if it's actually possible.

400 mile range from 180kwh of batteries and a 400 mile range with a 2600kg curb weight.

So 100kg heavier than a model X P100D with nearly twice the battery capacity.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Motorcycle post:

I just made a salesguy at Grand Prix Motorsports very happy and picked up a 2018 Zero SR (https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/) with the Charge Tank option (J1772 @ 6kW charging). It was $2350 off for the demo model.

Trip report: I've been riding dirt bikes for 30 years, so it took me a few miles to get over the lack of clutch and shift peg. After that I started to relax, and was a little surprised how mild the acceleration was — faster than what I'm used to but not unreasonable. Then I remembered the bike has a "MODE" switch and that they started me in "Eco" mode. Flipped it to "Sport" mode and melted my face off.

Shout out to the other Zero owner in this thread, Ripoff, unless I missed anyone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's got whatever the marketing man says it could have. It's up to engineering to figure out if it's actually possible.

400 mile range from 180kwh of batteries and a 400 mile range with a 2600kg curb weight.

So 100kg heavier than a model X P100D with nearly twice the battery capacity.

An extra 220lbs and twice the battery capacity. 4 motors as well.
Again, it doesn’t seem unreasonable.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Yeah, batteries are notoriously light, 80% more is sure to only be like 100 lbs heavier.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Oh my loving god. It's like Hammond and Clarkson arguing but far less funny. "It is." "But it isn't. "Ah, but, you see, it is." "Except it isn't!"

I had a 100$ accessory allowance after buying my Volt so I put down that +75$ and ordered the illuminated charge port for my Volt. I have a townhouse with an outdoor parking pad that is very poorly lit, so I've always been using my phone's light to see the plug. Dealer wanted 150$ to install it, I was like nah. Took about 30 minutes. I was surprised at how easy it was to install despite not having instructions. Plenty of guides on gm-volt forums definitely helped out. I broke a housing clip removing the old cover, so teeeecchhnnically it's not installed yet and only just wired it and dangling outside the port waiting for the following morning when the glue has cured. :haw:

Considering I only own the one car, tearing into the engine wiring harness and changing out pins was uh, a bit nerve wracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Weight is also far less important when you can just throw more amps at it at for short durations to counter.