Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

MMD3 posted:

has anybody playing the Online beta figured out decent ways to make consistent money yet? I feel like I spend 2-3 hours doing a handful of missions only to make $15 or so and then I have to resupply my rations and ammo so I lose $10-20.

Server hopping for jewelry at the little creek river gang hideout

rap music fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

nvm

rap music fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 30, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

These free roam pvp events would be a lot better if they split you into teams instead of it being completely free-for-all. I just did one where you need to grab a horse and take it somewhere but it never reached the destination so nobody got anything when it was done.
They also need to make it so you don't actually use your own ammo during the events. Sick of being out of rifle ammo. At least during the events it will spawn you with a minimum amount of ammo every time you die.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone with a base PS4 crashing a bunch? A friend and I are trying to play and she crashed like 7 times within a hour and a half.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

These free roam pvp events would be a lot better if they split you into teams instead of it being completely free-for-all. I just did one where you need to grab a horse and take it somewhere but it never reached the destination so nobody got anything when it was done.
They also need to make it so you don't actually use your own ammo during the events. Sick of being out of rifle ammo. At least during the events it will spawn you with a minimum amount of ammo every time you die.

Yeah I want to play team games with my friends but there's no playlist just for those so we get thrown into FFAs and hardly even see each other

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

John's story was waaaay better than Arthur's. Both their voices are great though.

Ending stuff:
Also going back for the money is a way better ending than a fist fight on a mountain. Just a real lackluster way to end the game. Glad I picked it (and happened to pick it mostly because I wanted to see if there was a confrontation with Dutch.)

disagree, the scene-setting for the final fight with Micah might be better if you go for the money but Arthur's sendoff if you stick with John has way more dramatic weight

just the rueful acceptance of his lot as Dutch can do nothing but catatonically slink away and Micah futilely curse and scream

"I tried. In the end...I did."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok, day 2 of rdo has been less chill.

First, a guy shoots me in the head about 100 feet away from my camp while i'm skinning a cougar. cool

then i'm getting a haircut in blackwater, and a different guy waits for me to come out and get on my horse and then lassoes me and tries to stab me. I break free and manage to shoot him dead, at which point the cops, who have been watching this entire exchange, decide a crime has been committed and they gun me down and I lose $2. neat (at least getting killed by players doesn't seem to cost anything)

then i'm outside the stables in blackwater, and another guy runs up and just cold shoots me in the face. no cops. super (i did respawn and tackle him and attempt to stab him to death but i forgot what the stab button was so he shot me again, but that time the cops did seem to get him, so i guess in the end i win)

i suppose the consequences for death are fairly minimal and the respawn is quick, so....fine, i guess? but i'd love a passive mode where people can't just gun me down unless i'm doing something where i should expect that kind of behavior, that would be much more fun

also! camps are definitely fucky, because i got a message that cripps tore down the camp and i needed to pick a new location. so i do, in the heartlands, very near me, and it cost me $2, which i didn't care for, because i never gave the game permission to remove my camp in the first place. but as i'm making the 20-second ride over to the new location, he moves it to cholla spring, without my permission. that can't be working as intended, can it?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah my day 2 was full of people running around shooting me in the head for no reason. I didn't want to waste any bullets on them so for one particular annoying person I hid around the side of a building and lassoed them when they turned the corner, hogtied them and started taking pictures of them on the ground. (I don't know why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Getting a perfect carcass is easy without a bow or using any of your ammunition, just ride around and lasso some critters, get off your horse and then you get the option to stab them when you're up close. I made some money selling some perfect rams for $7.50 a pop, but then it seems the butcher refuses to buy some carcasses and pelts but he will buy others, so that really bummed me out. Guess I'll wait for the next update.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 30, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So what's the trick to insta headshots from almost any range in RDO? Or did I happen into an instance where 80% of the players were inhuman freaks...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Auto aim, aim up slightly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tercio posted:

why wont my gunbelt touch my online character's body? it's like the rings of saturn

Gunbelt physics would be lots of work so they make it the size of the fattest fatty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MMD3 posted:

has anybody playing the Online beta figured out decent ways to make consistent money yet? I feel like I spend 2-3 hours doing a handful of missions only to make $15 or so and then I have to resupply my rations and ammo so I lose $10-20.

Run missions for strangers and loot every corpse you see.

I think like gta online being in a server with more players pays considerably more, although being mostly alone is safer, so that's a tradeoff

Don't waste money on rations, only ammo if you have to. Hunt animals for meat, cook the meat and eat meat whenever you can. Loot corpses and hopefully you get enough ammo and tonics to mostly get by without buying much. Also sell pelts and corpses for cash.

Deathmatches and poo poo also pay really well if there's lots of players in the match

I made $100 in a few hours

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo Willie Nelson made a song for this game

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oxxidation posted:

disagree, the scene-setting for the final fight with Micah might be better if you go for the money but Arthur's sendoff if you stick with John has way more dramatic weight

just the rueful acceptance of his lot as Dutch can do nothing but catatonically slink away and Micah futilely curse and scream

"I tried. In the end...I did."

I'm not even really sure why Micah attacks Arthur on the mountain or what he and Dutch were doing up there in the first place. Did they need the key for the lockbox Arthur got from Abigail or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah my day 2 was full of people running around shooting me in the head for no reason. I didn't want to waste any bullets on them so for one particular annoying person I hid around the side of a building and lassoed them when they turned the corner, hogtied them and started taking pictures of them on the ground. (I don't know why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Getting a perfect carcass is easy without a bow or using any of your ammunition, just ride around and lasso some critters, get off your horse and then you get the option to stab them when you're up close. I made some money selling some perfect rams for $7.50 a pop, but then it seems the butcher refuses to buy some carcasses and pelts but he will buy others, so that really bummed me out. Guess I'll wait for the next update.

If your horse moves a little it can make it so the pelts and carcasses don't show up at the butcher, always try just moving your horse a bit

But one time the butcher was standing in a barrel and couldn't be spoken to

Rockstar games lol

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

I can't get myself to do this because I love the gameworld too much. Riding to a location that is far away is super enjoyable to me.

Maybe just cuz Im an old dad with not as much time, but I throw my hat down in disgust whenever I join a posse invite and then find camp is a fifteen minute ride away, as is the mission were doing and my whole posse.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Zaphod42 posted:

Gunbelt physics would be lots of work so they make it the size of the fattest fatty

Yeah that would explain the hover vests.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know who thinks lock on aiming should be a thing in PVP but just lol that it's the only option currently.

Otoh some guy thought he would run up and shoot me in the head with his starter carbine and thought he was really cool, so I respawned like three times and vaporized him with my pump action. He left me alone after that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah that would explain the hover vests.

Your beard doesn't quite match up to your face perfect either I think, but lots of games have that problem.

They could definitely fix it but its also a lot of work so I don't totally blame them for cutting corners on clothing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I don't know who thinks lock on aiming should be a thing in PVP but just lol that it's the only option currently.

Otoh some guy thought he would run up and shoot me in the head with his starter carbine and thought he was really cool, so I respawned like three times and vaporized him with my pump action. He left me alone after that.

Yeah seriously give me the no lock on servers

That said dead-eye in multi is pretty drat worthless (at least at level 1, I wonder if level 2 might make it better) so taking that one dead eye card that makes it so people can't lock on to you sounds like the way to go

Course you have to get to like level 40 to unlock it and even then your dead eye is only going to last a few seconds so yeah...

Honestly I'm having lots of fun with Red Dead Online but you really have to constantly ask if anybody at rockstar ever even once playtested some of these modes. Its just not well balanced. It works, its a thing, but its not well balanced. They build the game for single player and then slap on multiplayer and its just not a great design mentality.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

it was the fattest fatty

i switched to an average body and its fine

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I found two guys in the brush and murdered them both a few times, using my map to track their spawns and reposition myself. After a while I approached them unarmed, they killed me. I approached again and waved, then they waved, then we formed a posse together and hosed around for a few hours.

Pretty good time. Lmao that its easier to group up with random people in this stupid beta than in year two of Destiny 2.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
One thing about being good at manual aim is at distance where you can't lock on, you can still drop dudes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I am liking the online so far but I hope that they tone down the money grind poo poo. It's pretty bad.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The money glitch is kicking rear end rn I'm up 80 bucks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RDRO is okay so far, the heavy auto lock on has no place in competitive shooters but it's okay for mindless fun. I just have one wish

One tiny wish

Enough with the God damned Battle Royale game modes. Jesus H Christ I am so sick of this poo poo being in every single game

DrNutt posted:

Man I am liking the online so far but I hope that they tone down the money grind poo poo. It's pretty bad.

They will fix the money grind. By putting in real world money purchases! :v:

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs

Donovan Trip posted:

The money glitch is kicking rear end rn I'm up 80 bucks

Yeah I like how that house is becoming a meat grinder. Everyone can open the cupboard dudes take turns

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm doing mine at a shack in lamoyne, 2 jewelry items Brandy tonic and premium cigarettes each time! Pretty close to the fence also. Big house below the O on Bayou nwa

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

also! camps are definitely fucky, because i got a message that cripps tore down the camp and i needed to pick a new location. so i do, in the heartlands, very near me, and it cost me $2, which i didn't care for, because i never gave the game permission to remove my camp in the first place. but as i'm making the 20-second ride over to the new location, he moves it to cholla spring, without my permission. that can't be working as intended, can it?

Camps are definitely fucky. I was in New Austin and checked where my camp was, only to find it was in West Elizabeth. So I reloaded the session to warp over there, only to find my camp had moved itself to New Austin.

Luckily when I warped back to New Austin this time it stayed there. But jeeze game.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Fish sell for more than those Jewelry items

Camp funded by fish heads

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just do the story missions for money, I had over $300 in a day.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Then you finish the 6 and that's that. So gotta find more revenue bud chaps ain't cheap

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Yesterday I selected Gaptooth Ridge for a camp, got a notification that the camp was instead placed in Bayou Nwa, then checked my map and found my camp was actually by Bacchus Station.

I really like online so far. Some things seem bare and other things poorly implemented, but I've had a lot of fun roaming the wilderness and stuffing meat into my satchel. I try to avoid strangers, and so far I've only been killed once by a human in about 5 hours of play. The most fun I've had was when everyone else got dropped from my room and for a couple hours I got to play co-op outlaws without any other dots on the map but my pardner. I don't think I care too much about my honor though, so I'm looking forward to a good session of mayhem in the near future.

ed: I'm also dreading when everyone has a sniper rifle. And also gently caress having a second currency. Just make it in-game dollars, you fucks. I don't want to buy gold and I'm not incentivized by the trickle of nuggets.

Oh! and I skipped a couple pages so sorry if it's been mentioned, but I went to a stable and found I had a Superior horse available to "buy" for free and a special alligator-skin saddle. It's probably a pre-order bonus, but I didn't see any message about it in-game. Go get that horse if you have it waiting for you. You'll have to buy another stable slot or send your starter horse to the glue factory to free up the space. I also had a free outfit and a free revolver available at merchants.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 30, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm getting about 100 an hour, not bad

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 30, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yes dude you and everyone else, then you finish them and you can replay them for 5-10 each. Unless they add like twenty more high paying story missions the earn drops like a rock after that.

e: You know what would be cool would be earning 100 bucks an hour actually playing the game in a fun way. This is some y1 destiny loot cave poo poo lol

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I abused the poo poo out of that as well :thunk:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Yes dude you and everyone else, then you finish them and you can replay them for 5-10 each. Unless they add like twenty more high paying story missions the earn drops like a rock after that.

e: You know what would be cool would be earning 100 bucks an hour actually playing the game in a fun way. This is some y1 destiny loot cave poo poo lol

You don't play games for fun anymore, this is your new job.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

apparently if you delete your character you can start over and replay them again for the full 300 and keep your money each time

you lose your level progress though so questionable if its worth it

but yeah this does remind me of loot cave. Devs gotta understand how to incentivize playing the game the fun way and not creating some optimal loop that's not fun. And just general good rpg balance and not this poo poo.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Donovan Trip posted:

The consensus right now is they really don't want you to have money yet. Everyone is hoping there will be money opportunities when the full game launches, aside from dropping real money on it of course

yeah, this makes sense, guess I'll focus on leveling and doing some of the story quests then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

So what's going on with this magic money house deal?