Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Huh, I'll be damned. I don't think I ever noticed that in the game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nasgate posted:

It's too bad there's so many good reals vying for the leftover spots after you field all the Tekkamen since they're hilariously broken in W.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I mean W might be the easiest SRW out there, anything can be pretty broken.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like it's a tight race between W and J for the title of easiest.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
W is so beyond stupid broken. Just when you think the original bot cant get any more insane, he DOES... TWICE

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I wanted to say MX was the easiest but I remember that there wss at least 3 stages that required a little thought.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Your feelings on MX is probably dependent on which version you played, because the PSP was literally more of a slog.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Plus it's mostly Prince of Darkness now because Yūji Ueda can't scream anymore and Akito barely emotes in that. Listening to him try to scream in BX was just kind of sad.

Why not just reuse his screams from the previous games, and just record new pre-battle dialogue instead?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Super Robot Wars T: Why Not Just Reuse the Screams?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 30, 2018

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Tae posted:

Your feelings on MX is probably dependent on which version you played, because the PSP was literally more of a slog.

It was definitely the ps2 version. I remember needing to stop and think things through on the level where boss has to lure the monster into a specific location then you had to kill it in the same turn you did any damage to it. The other stage that sticks out was the rematch against the mass production Eva series, which had the same stats as the previous stage but this time you don't get a chance to build morale first.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The PSP version is the same but +50% health, it's wild.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

The PSP version is the same but +50% health, it's wild.
MX Portable is kind of a microcosm for that period of time in regards to how Banpresto would handle difficulty spikes. Like, take Vindel's final battle in OG2 GBA in 2005 and compare it to his A Portable version roughly 3 years later. That's a 60,000 HP difference between them (GBA has more, for the record) and yet, is paired with a comically hilariously low EN pool in both cases. On a robot that requires EN for a lot of its stronger moves, to top it all off.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like it's a tight race between W and J for the title of easiest.

It doesn't help that both of those were in that era where portable games didn't have SR points for some reason so there weren't even optional objectives to shoot for.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

It doesn't help that both of those were in that era where portable games didn't have SR points for some reason so there weren't even optional objectives to shoot for.

Of course there were optional objectives, but they were all self-imposed, like get everyone to level 99 by the end of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Both games had tekkaman units with the double life gimmick.

J's ai was really bad though.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
"The Nadesico?! Better suicide all of our units on it!"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

WrightOfWay posted:

I assume that's why they created Puzzle Robo, though it's just not the same.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I miss Puzzle Robo. :(

Even the awful one with the Nadesico pilots and changing their suits to get it that involved like 35 steps.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of W. I just finished reading the let's play(which is great). But it got me thinking about how there's really only two maps that really require you to think about the terrain(final stage with the bridges and the island stage).
Are there any SRW that use that a bit more? It's kind of boring going across flat land/space all the time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of W. I just finished reading the let's play(which is great). But it got me thinking about how there's really only two maps that really require you to think about the terrain(final stage with the bridges and the island stage).
Are there any SRW that use that a bit more? It's kind of boring going across flat land/space all the time.

OG1

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Early Z.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Nasgate posted:

If you're a masochist, then K.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Nasgate posted:

K does but it's terrible and not any fun at all. Coming from the guy who played it like 3 times, K is a very bad game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

@ Gaiden uses the terrain pretty frequently since there's only like 4 space maps outside of route splits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

K does but it's terrible and not any fun at all. Coming from the guy who played it like 3 times, K is a very bad game.

Seems to have a kind of weak series list, too.

I mean, we talk about how often the UC shows up, but there have been, what, eight shows there? There's plenty of room to have different main focuses aside from the contractual "Also Char". The DS games switching to SEED as the focus makes them work with a smaller, worse pool for their Gundam options, which is amplified by the whole "SEED makes no sense with other Reals" problem restricting the pool more.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I was trying to stop saying "play Neo" and "make Neo again" for everything but then terrainchat happened?!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

I was trying to stop saying "play Neo" and "make Neo again" for everything but then terrainchat happened?!

If someone ever LPs it so I have a translation to follow for the story (and hell, enjoy the LP itself), I'll try Neo. But I genuinely don't feel like playing a game I can't understand, especially one that clearly changes quite a bit like Neo. The closest I've played to that is...OE, and god knows I did not understand (or care for) OE.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Seems to have a kind of weak series list, too.

I mean, we talk about how often the UC shows up, but there have been, what, eight shows there? There's plenty of room to have different main focuses aside from the contractual "Also Char". The DS games switching to SEED as the focus makes them work with a smaller, worse pool for their Gundam options, which is amplified by the whole "SEED makes no sense with other Reals" problem restricting the pool more.
And yet, K somehow manages to avoid using SEED Destiny and Stargazer as much as it can, despite being the sole Gundam representatives. No really, K dodges a lot of plot and when it does cover Destiny or Stargazer, it is done at breakneck speeds. Destiny's plot kicks off with prologue featuring Athrun and Cagalli in stage 4, then returns in stage 13 where the team sides with the Archangel right around the time Stella is captured by the Minerva. The next stage is a route split and one goes down Berlin and into Operation Angel Down, where Kira is reduced to NPC for a bit (despite a perfectly functional pilotless Murasame joining up with Kira). Then we blast through Stargazer's finale and Destiny's finale and wrap all of the plot by stage 24 of 46. I should note that I am counting the stages split into 2 parts (there are *a lot* of these in K) as individual stages here. Otherwise, the actual numbered stage count where SEED is wrapped up is stage 19 out of 36 stages.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The most memorable thing about K seems to be how much people ended up hating the protagonist, which says a lot in a series like Super Robot Wars where they're usually not what you think of first.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

K was the only game until now to feature GunXSword so it had SOME redeeming characteristics. Plus holy poo poo so many dynamic kills. Like, so loving many. Isn't every single attack that Gaiking the Great can do a DK?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

The most memorable thing about K seems to be how much people ended up hating the protagonist, which says a lot in a series like Super Robot Wars where they're usually not what you think of first.
My dislike of Mist Rex comes from me realizing what he's supposed to be, and how much the game fumbles the execution. At his core, Mist is a character archetype many have seen in fiction: the jaded rear end in a top hat who masks their issues by redirecting their anger at others, but then has a crisis moment where the shell slowly cracks and the character reforms into a much better person. In Mist's case, he's the survivor of two planets being destroyed and looks at Earth's many issues with condescension and bitterness (hence the often heard phrase "Everything was better on Altreem" regarding Mist), and chooses to lash out at the team members for their problems because many of their problems are things that Mist has either dealt with or is dealing with currently. With Daiya and Ruuji, Mist targets their inexperience as pilots while masking his own faults as a rookie. With Van, Mist focuses on Van's desire for avenge his wife's death while masking his own anger over failing to protect Altreem and Bezzard and wanting vengeance of his own. With Kira, Mist rightfully knocks Kira for having such a naive view of pacifism while masking his own desire to have everyone come together in harmony. This is where the first issue players have with Mist comes into play: the featured series practically let Mist walk all over them with only the bare basic of rebuttals or counterarguments, and yet Mist has these same flaws as well. We see this hypocritical protagonist character rip into his teammates left and right with little challenge from said teammates, and we're supposed to sympathize with this person? But where Mist really falls is how the game deals with his crisis moment and everything after that point.

Mist faces Gastum on the Moon and both he and the chosen female partner (either Angelica or Sheldia) nearly die during the battle. Mist then awakens his machine's Secret Magical Power SourceTM, the Crystal Heart, and defeats Gastum. In any normal case, this is where a character of this archetype begins to reflect and change around their ways to be a better person. Mist...does not; he plateaus and stays at the point on the development cycle where he's about to reform and never really budges from there. Yes, Mist's outlook on things is changed somewhat, but that jaded and hypocritical person underneath still lingers and doesn't fully go away. This reaches a breaking point in the finale where Soushi gives up his life to seal Ru Cobol away. The Fafner cast is naturally mourning Soushi's death, when Mist comes in to act like nothing big happened and ruin the moment. It becomes more offensive when you remember that Soushi just did the one thing Mist has wanted to do all game: avenge Altreem and Bezzard by defeating Ru Cobol once and for all. Mist's reaction is to gloss over Soushi's sacrifice and move onto the future, essentially undermining his journey as a protagonist because Mist's main goal turned into a footnote in Mist's eyes when he finally achieves it. And in the process, he absolutely wrecks any last glimmer of likability the player has for him.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Infinity Gaia posted:

K was the only game until now to feature GunXSword so it had SOME redeeming characteristics. Plus holy poo poo so many dynamic kills. Like, so loving many. Isn't every single attack that Gaiking the Great can do a DK?

The only other redeeming thing about K is that it gives an ending to Dangaioh and you get to kill Gil-Berg, it was one of the two satisfying things that game did. The other being Cagalli punching Mist in his stupid face after the game is over.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Sounds like K is a game to play without translations.

Edit: which is something I appreciate about W. I managed to get all the secrets without ever using a guide or translation. Kicking Evils rear end with Tekaman just makes sense.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 1, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

K does have a few secrets that can trip you up, so having a guide to lean on is helpful. Like, getting Stella and Rey involves a step where Kira has to fight Shinn, but with the added stipulation that Kira *cannot* defeat Shinn. And getting Michael and Fasalina has a step where Priscilla has to fight Carossa/Melissa before Van has to defeat the twins (and Woo) to complete the step. The only way you would even think to use Priscilla during this step is if you remembered the GunxSword episode after Carossa and Melissa die, where she chimes in with a few words of mourning. Unless there's a blurb in the stage (26A for reference) where the game gives you that hint, you're more than likely not going to have Priscilla fight Carossa.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think NEO is basically the only SRW game where positioning really matters because it avoids a lot of the standard SRW flaws involving everyone and their dogs flying by default (which leads to terrain just being something pretty to look at) - most of the units in NEO are grounded, flying sucks up 3x as much EN as it does in regular SRW meaning you generally only fly as a last resort and it has rudimentary Line of Sight mechanics and terrain objects which you can knock enemies into or which block off your attacks which leads to an entire weapon property specifically to lob your attacks overhead and attack enemies that would otherwise be safe.

It's one of those games where it does seem like a miracle that it came together like it did given how OE dropped the ball.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Wasn't K the one that tried to fix Cagalli or something.

Or maybe that was L.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Supremezero posted:

Wasn't K the one that tried to fix Cagalli or something.
One of K's nicknames was "Kagalli" yes.

Though I think the DS games are allowed to fix her because they could actually implement her as a playable unit since a lot of SEED Destiny's issues was bridge burning with a lot of its VAs due to its troubled production.

What I'm saying is bring back Dearka and Yzak, the GREATEST Gundam SEED characters.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh, hey, since we've got a new thread, are there any non-SA hangout spots to put in the OP? Discord or IRC or some poo poo, I dunno, I'm mostly a weird hermit who doesn't like The Social.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I do wish they could have the character's be more on model for the battle portraits. Noriko's Buster Collider yell and face is iconic and it's probably just gonna be their redrawn full body portrait with the open yelling mouth thing like X and V had. A couple of characters had the shot from the show for some of their portraits though, so fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davzz posted:

What I'm saying is bring back Dearka and Yzak, the GREATEST Gundam SEED characters.

SRW T would be the perfect place for the SEED CE 81 sidestory to show up.

It is the year C.E. 81, after years of oppression by the Lacus administration and the brutal peace keeping force of Terminal, a pirate alliance has begun to form, fighting for the freedom of humanity from this dictator

We follow a pirate crew who's ship is captained by Flay, and Yzak, Dearka, and Shiho as the pilots

Their aliases are:

Flay = Esther Albionne
Yzak = Abel Zwei
Shiho = Silent Stalker
Dearka = Bronzerod Samson