Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is a handicap match fair?
This poll is closed.
Yes it's fine for faces to have a numbers advantage. 4 2.94%
No it is wrong for heels to have a numbers advantage. 8 5.88%
What is the point? 46 33.82%
BECKY IS BACK ON SMACKDOWN TOMORROW! 78 57.35%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think FOX has already made it clear they want Rousey, but I dunno, they might just shift her for no good reason in October.

Or she may become a Free Agent like Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Smackdown doesn't air on FOX until October so that doesn't necessarily affect what happens between now and Mania.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They'll start blending the shows around Mania build in 2020 and by the time Mania is over, there will be no brand split.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sportsgenius86 posted:

They'll start blending the shows around Mania build in 2020 and by the time Mania is over, there will be no brand split.

Nah, Fox wants a brand split.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I thought it was reported somewhere that fox wanted to keep the brand split to avoid promoting talent on nbcu’s show

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I believe Fox said they don't want to cross-promote anyone who appears on Raw, right?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be fair to her you'd freak out too if a sex offender was walking around in your clothes.

Saint Freak posted:

Oh yeah, Ric could be in the robe! Nice call.

:vince:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry to interrupt yet again but after watching several years of Royal Rumbles, I have one question and one comment.

1. Why was New Day being boo'ed a few years ago but now everybody loves them>?

2. Poor Heath Slater. I saw the Three Man Band in one of the older rumbles and now I see Drew getting to be all intimidating and stuff and Jinder was a world champion. But I guess Heath is just stuck forever in his joke gimmick. I did thinkt it was a funny gag about him constantly getting knocked over trying to get into the rumble, though.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
There is also the issue of WWE likely not wanting Ronda to lose right now either. They could easily move Ronda over if she loses at Wrestlemania, during the Superstar Shakeup.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to interrupt yet again but after watching several years of Royal Rumbles, I have one question and one comment.

2. Poor Heath Slater. I saw the Three Man Band in one of the older rumbles and now I see Drew getting to be all intimidating and stuff and Jinder was a world champion. But I guess Heath is just stuck forever in his joke gimmick. I did thinkt it was a funny gag about him constantly getting knocked over trying to get into the rumble, though.

1. theyre very charismatic and got super over with the crowd and have stayed that way, including gobs of merchandise all the way to real licensed cereal.

2. if it makes you feel any better, heath was a tag team champ with rhyno a couple years back. still as a comedy gimmick, but it was a good, solid feature run.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Which one of you is Dave??

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1068569770570608640

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

2. Poor Heath Slater. I saw the Three Man Band in one of older rumbles and now I see Drew getting to be all intimidating and stuff and Jinder was a world champion. But I guess Heath is just stuck forever in his joke gimmick. I did thinkt it was a funny gag about him constantly getting knocked over trying to get into the rumble, though.

The original New Day gimmick was a horrible babyface gimmick that people hated. It was smiling dancing babyfaces who just happened to be black. They were able to get control of their gimmick and turn things around.

Drew was out of the company for a few years and made himself a commodity, Jinder was re-signed to be an enhancement guy and happened to be Indian when they wanted to try to expand in the Indian market. He's basically back to an enhancement guy now. Heath is a good enhancement guy who can be funny, but has never really proven himself to be more. He's fine in his role and getting little pushes every couple years.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

USA is paying more than Fox so Fox doesn't get total control over the rosters, but I'm sure they want Ronda.

Fox is paying more per hour

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

They were heels at the time and drat good ones too. woods magic missiling the trombone onto one of the lucha dragons at ‘15 TLC was so great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can they just merge the women's divisions on both shows, and do a world/secondary/tag titles? There are like 3 credible people that can hold the women's belt on SD, and there is no way to push people like Payton Royce and make them a credible threat to the title.

Like when they started to build up Becky again after MITB, they literally had her run through the entire heel roster. You could achieve a similar thing by having a secondary title to defend on big shows that you hype and build up to, and not necessarily have to run down the entire roster in a month to give someone credibility.

But whatever... I only watch the big shows anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

time for 4 hour smackdowns

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

remember that one raw that ended with the new day first dragging zigglers lifeless corpse on the ramp and then beating the piss out of john cena and a couple of other geeks

good times

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

USA: We are paying a lot of money for this show you just can't gut what is traditionally the A show and put all the talent on Fox.
WWE: They are paying more per hour.
USA: Oh ok.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They were heels at the time and drat good ones too. woods magic missiling the trombone onto one of the lucha dragons at ‘15 TLC was so great

I just saw a clip of this during the New Day episode of Ride Along, he loving nails that throw.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I don't really understand all the love for Asuka, she seems good in the ring but I haven't heard a decent promo from her the whole time she has been on the main roster. I get there is a language issue there, but it doesn't change the fact that if Asuka holds the title we get Asuka promos every week, do people actually want that? If she had a manager or something to talk for her I could get excited by her with the title but I just can't imagine it being a very fun title reign otherwise.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The New Day gimmick has had a wild trajectory overall

- proto-New Day was an "angry black man" thing with Xavier being presented as a Malcom X-like figure
- then they took a hard turn with the actual video vignettes, doing a black gospel/James Brown gimmick instead
- "Power of Positivity" is an unironic white meat babyface thing, crowd rejects it
- They lean into the crowd rejection; "Power of Positivity" is an ironic obnoxious thing now and they start to really get over, with obvious creative input from the wrestlers
- Face turn after they basically get too over to stay heel

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The true power of the New Day, like Daniel Bryan, is their ability to take their collective ball and go home and not miss WWE.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I don't really understand all the love for Asuka, she seems good in the ring but I haven't heard a decent promo from her the whole time she has been on the main roster. I get there is a language issue there, but it doesn't change the fact that if Asuka holds the title we get Asuka promos every week, do people actually want that? If she had a manager or something to talk for her I could get excited by her with the title but I just can't imagine it being a very fun title reign otherwise.

they wont just let her yell with her angry yakuza stereotype accent in japanese, which she did to great effect in nxt. honestly, give me the choice of someone reading the riot act in a scary voice in a language i dont understand or wwe dialogue from someone who has a decent but not fluent english proficiency, yell at me in japanese every day, then say a few words in english. there ya go.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Jinder was re-signed to be an enhancement guy and happened to be Indian when they wanted to try to expand in the Indian market. He's basically back to an enhancement guy now.

It is deeply important to history to note that Jinder's ascension is also tied into him getting ridiculously huge in a way that most definitely in no way involved steroids.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Why does everyone need to come out every week and cut the same stilted poorly written 20 minute promos? If anything Asuka just coming out and murdering fools week after week would be a welcome change.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HerraS posted:

remember that one raw that ended with the new day first dragging zigglers lifeless corpse on the ramp and then beating the piss out of john cena and a couple of other geeks

good times

Another missed opportunity by the writers to follow up.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it is fair to assume that if you are still watching wwe, you care waaaaaay more about people talking than you do about them wrestling

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CarlCX posted:

It is deeply important to history to note that Jinder's ascension is also tied into him getting ridiculously huge in a way that most definitely in no way involved steroids.

it also led to my favorite parody of randy's theme

quote:

i have acne on my back
it talks to me it understands
it's dieting
just dieting

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Putting Charlotte and Asuka in the TLC match renders a lot of MMC moot, doesn't it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

p sure it was made moot when the team they probably originally had planned to win ended up with both members being replaced

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Putting Charlotte and Asuka in the TLC match renders a lot of MMC moot, doesn't it?

Charlotte and AJ were champs when this round started which makes even less sense.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

JT Smiley posted:

Why does everyone need to come out every week and cut the same stilted poorly written 20 minute promos? If anything Asuka just coming out and murdering fools week after week would be a welcome change.

Yup. And to be honest, I would rather listen to someone who isn't fluent in English attempt to cut a decent promo over someone like Nia Jax who is fluent in English, but complete and utter dogshit at the whole promo stuff. Same goes for Ronda.

Just let Asuka say whatever the gently caress she wants in Japanese, and then just do a one liner in English or something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Minidust posted:

The New Day gimmick has had a wild trajectory overall

- proto-New Day was an "angry black man" thing with Xavier being presented as a Malcom X-like figure
- then they took a hard turn with the actual video vignettes, doing a black gospel/James Brown gimmick instead
- "Power of Positivity" is an unironic white meat babyface thing, crowd rejects it
- They lean into the crowd rejection; "Power of Positivity" is an ironic obnoxious thing now and they start to really get over, with obvious creative input from the wrestlers
- Face turn after they basically get too over to stay heel

It's amazing that they all went up to Vince and said "We don't want to do anything based in racial stereotypes" and Vince came back to them telling them he wanted them to be Gospel Singers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's amazing that they all went up to Vince and said "We don't want to do anything based in racial stereotypes" and Vince came back to them telling them he wanted them to be Gospel Singers.

They were gonna object but they saw Vince had a wastebasket full of balled up paper and knew that was the best he could do

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Asuka should cut a promo in "Japanese," then have Nakamura come out and claim she wasn't speaking Japanese, and never explain it.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Asuka should cut a promo in "Japanese," then have Nakamura come out and claim she wasn't speaking Japanese, and never explain it.

Nakamura has outright said he doesn't understand her in Japanese some of the time, due to her dialect (Osakan). I remember it being brought up on an episode of UUDD. I think the best comparison to make is that her Osakan accent is basically the Japanese version of a deep south accent. It's incredibly strong.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

cams posted:

it is fair to assume that if you are still watching wwe, you care waaaaaay more about people talking than you do about them wrestling

I care to see an out of touch old man simultaneously be completely wrong about what modern audiences want while also being entirely right about what the United States business practices will allow him to do. I like seeing the story unfold week to week like a soap opera within a soap opera.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That reminds me, after his "match" with Rusev on Tuesday, Shinsuke was singing his theme as he strutted back up the ramp. Did they show that on TV, or was it just replays of the beat down? I love when wrestlers do stuff like that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I thought it was reported somewhere that fox wanted to keep the brand split to avoid promoting talent on nbcu’s show

lol that's loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol that's loving stupid

welcome to capitalism, where the resources are wasted and efforts duplicated