Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Which season was that? I stopped watching after the show turned to poo poo.

As far as I'm concerned, all Simpsons episodes made after mid 1990 are non canonical.

Do you mean mid 1990’s, or are you drawing the line for good simpsons vs bad simpsons at the end of season one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, mid 90s.

It's late here (almost 2am on a Sunday) so my typing isn't the best.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't think of any scene which might suggest Homer was bi.

EDIT: Okay, when Homer was the union rep and he thought Mr Burns was coming on to him and said, "Sure, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious, but the answer is no!"

Come on...who could forget that stupid sexy Flanders?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think you guys are looking at lazy 90s gay panic jokes through 2018 eyes and retroactively deciding they were serious, tbh.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't think of any scene which might suggest Homer was bi.

EDIT: Okay, when Homer was the union rep and he thought Mr Burns was coming on to him and said, "Sure, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious, but the answer is no!"

This and 'stupid sexy Flanders' but I always read that as Homer being naive, in that he doesn't understand the prejudice surrounding bi-sexuality or even what it really is, and is just recognising conventional attractiveness in men or Freudian slipping the little bit of bi that's in everyone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this, but NYPD Blue; why did Family Guy do a joke about Dennis Franz showing someone his rear end? Did that happen on that show? Was showing your rear end an integral part of the NYPD Blue canon?

And how did that show age? There's something about a 90s cop show that seems like it's going to be a little rough around the edges.

The show's earlier promotion was all about how "gritty" and "real" it was going to be with nudity and swearing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Butt cheeks on TV was such a big deal in the 90’s. People lost their loving minds over it.

Butt holes on TV will be such a big deal in the 20’s.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

I think you guys are looking at lazy 90s gay panic jokes through 2018 eyes and retroactively deciding they were serious, tbh.

Cartoon characters are whatever the writers need them to be in the moment. Sometimes Smithers is gay, sometimes he isn't.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Butt cheeks on TV was such a big deal in the 90’s. People lost their loving minds over it.

And it's about time!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

90s cop show that seems like it's going to be a little rough around the edges.

Probably but it is interesting to watch say Law and Order to see a few things:

A) What were hot button issues at the time?
B) Early law and order episodes weren't afraid to show the ways police can be real lovely.
C) See how technology has progressed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

purple death ray posted:

Most of the early Smithers jokes weren't gay panic jokes though. Nobody ever flipped out over Smithers being gay. Some of the jokes were 'Smithers is gay,' but characters rarely reacted to that. Even when Smithers told Burns that he loved him Burns just says something like "Thank you for making my last moments on Earth socially awkward."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can't wait for the Law & Order spin-off that deals with rear end eating crimes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Can't wait for the Law & Order spin-off that deals with rear end eating crimes

That's just SVU, surely?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's just SVU, surely?

"It's called 'romaine-ing the taint'' and involves eating a bag of salad off of someone's rear end. It explains why the kids are getting ecoli infections at an alarming rate."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CannonFodder posted:

"It's called 'romaine-ing the taint'' and involves eating a bag of salad off of someone's rear end. It explains why the kids are getting ecoli infections at an alarming rate."

He’s what makes SVU the best version of the show, at least that’s what I read on Kotaku.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sweet geek swag posted:

Most of the early Smithers jokes weren't gay panic jokes though. Nobody ever flipped out over Smithers being gay. Some of the jokes were 'Smithers is gay,' but characters rarely reacted to that. Even when Smithers told Burns that he loved him Burns just says something like "Thank you for making my last moments on Earth socially awkward."

I'm talking this JK Rowling revisionist rear end idea that Homer is a secret bisexual, not Smithers

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

purple death ray posted:

I'm talking this JK Rowling revisionist rear end idea that Homer is a secret bisexual, not Smithers

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I can agree with that.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

triticum guzzler posted:

There's a lot of hosed up and weird people, on this comedy forum website, who do not ever post jokes, do not enjoy jokes or indeed even laughing, and have coined a derogatory term for people who make jokes. They're all missionaries drawn here by the allure of the fertile lands of videos of a severely asthmatic man playing Megaman games, and interesting philosophical quandries posted by the fake PTSD guy about the nature of doors and windows in Dungeons and Dragons. They are wise men here to educate a savage, uneducated, indigenous sort. It is a sonorous, musical form of education; a greasy collective amasses on the front line of the battle against social injustice, the video game subforum on a message board that has a drop down menu that makes light of the holocaust on every single page, and sings a shrill harmony that permeates the very aether, making my pets feel unsafe, when a video game muscle man calls Catwoman a bitch. They have picked their battles well, and I note from my foxhole that I am running out of ammunition, chiefly in the form of the increasingly finite number of ways I can frame this absurd situation with the English language. I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the poo poo out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
heh people care about stuff. what fucktards

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

TG is great if you are still a 20-year-old English major

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
E: wrong thread

Catpain Slack has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 1, 2018

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

username post combo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

TG is great if you are still a 20-year-old English major

This is more correct than you’d think really. At 29 and with my English BA completed it’s just too boring and insipid a place to post. No one can even construct an argument, basic understanding of texts just makes it shooting fish in a barrel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want a bisexual TV cartoon dad there's always Bob Belcher. In the episode where the meat counter guy thinks Bob is hitting on him Bob's reply is "I'm straight! Well... mostly straight."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

If you want a bisexual TV cartoon dad there's always Bob Belcher. In the episode where the meat counter guy thinks Bob is hitting on him Bob's reply is "I'm straight! Well... mostly straight."
Bob even openly blurts out that the deli guy is too good for him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Aesop Poprock posted:

You know that thing where old, unattractive people just kind of hangout naked in locker rooms because no one wants to look at them nude willingly anymore?

I always feel like that's why Dennis Franz and Danny Devito like to get naked so much on film

lol if you have a problem with naked Danny Devito

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have a problem, there's not enough naked Danny Devito

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pick posted:

"Gay or not" is all plausible deniability optics poo poo. It's like goddamn U S Senator Lindsey Graham. Everyone knows he's gay and it's "fine" as long as he never says so.

And a lot of you guys seem weirdly... ehhh I won't even get started. It's like you don't seem to understand that even things creators say are part of the entertainment property overall. When they said Smithers was "Burnssexual" that was a way to jokingly get out of saying he's gay because that's a news story and it violates *points to sentence at top of post*. But Smithers is loving gay, obviously, whether or not someone on the writing staff says so outright, because he's completely and unambiguously coded that way, and if they didn't want him to be perceived as "gay" they wouldn't have had him engage in activities intended to communicate that he is gay. 99% of clickbait now is weak "news stories" made of the second keygrip saying "I think Danaerys is a lesbian?" while stoned on a couch. They have to be cognizant of that poo poo because you--you!--are part of the public, and the perception of a property affects the saleability of a property. And it never stops applying because the property never stops having that dimension.

I think it also has to do with media coverage. The Simpsons writing team would probably prefer to avoid something cheesy similar to the type of USA Today stories you get when Captain America or Superman get killed off. If Smithers tells Burns, they have to come up with how Burns would react: how would he react? He'd probably fire him, since Burns' characterization has largely always been cruel old miser (also a straight up Republican, let's not pretend that particular hang up is dead) with a few moments of decency here and there. Sure, they could have Burns be accepting of Smithers, but it's easier to get laughs and structure an episode based on the fallout of what Smithers does next if Burns cans him or reacts poorly, even if you return to status quo. But there are three problems with that:

1) Sexuality has become even more deeply political then it was during the golden years of the show. Which means you'll have major coverage of what the gay community makes of the episode which Simpsons would probably prefer to avoid (especially since the episode where Patty almost marries an LPGA player before finding out they're a man got roasted, and I hope I got my pronouns right there. If that seems silly, the It's Always Sunny episode where Mac came out through interpretive dance got a LOT of attention, and I think Simpsons staff wants to just keep chugging along at this point.

2) The whole "Smithers loses his job" thing was done during Who Shot Mr.Burns was done. It was quite good. No need to revisit it, especially if you're going to return to status quo or not surprise people with Burns' reaction.

3) The time where it would have been genuinely interesting as a storyline has come and gone, IMO.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Dec 2, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it also has to do with media coverage. The Simpsons writing team would probably prefer to avoid something cheesy similar to the type of USA Today stories you get when Captain America or Superman get killed off. If Smithers tells Burns, they have to come up with how Burns would react: how would he react? He'd probably fire him, since Burns' characterization has largely always been cruel old miser (also a straight up Republican, let's not pretend that particular hang up is dead) with a few moments of decency here and there. Sure, they could have Burns be accepting of Smithers, but it's easier to get laughs and structure an episode based on the fallout of what Smithers does next if Burns cans him or reacts poorly, even if you return to status quo. But there are three problems with that:

1) Sexuality has become even more deeply political then it was during the golden years of the show. Which means you'll have major coverage of what the gay community makes of the episode which Simpsons would probably prefer to avoid (especially since the episode where Patty almost marries an LPGA player before finding out they're a man got roasted, and I hope I got my pronouns right there. If that seems silly, the It's Always Sunny episode where Charlie came out through interpretive dance got a LOT of attention, and I think Simpsons staff wants to just keep chugging along at this point.

2) The whole "Smithers loses his job" thing was done during Who Shot Mr.Burns was done. It was quite good. No need to revisit it, especially if you're going to return to status quo or not surprise people with Burns' reaction.

3) The time where it would have been genuinely interesting as a storyline has come and gone, IMO.

Smithers has told Burns, Burns has been aware for ages that Smithers has feelings for him. He just doesn't care.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

Smithers has told Burns, Burns has been aware for ages that Smithers has feelings for him. He just doesn't care.

He's never said "I'm gay". He tried to tell him how he feels during the Do What You Feel Episode, but quickly backtracks when he realizes Burns isn't really paying attention and sorta half-assedly asks what it was he said.

Burns does not possess a lot of awareness. This is a guy who still calls people ragamuffin and had to be told Mordercai Brown, a 1900's era ballplayer, was dead....in 1995.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's never said "I'm gay". He tried to tell him how he feels during the Do What You Feel Episode, but quickly backtracks when he realizes Burns isn't really paying attention and sorta half-assedly asks what it was he said.

Burns does not possess a lot of awareness. This is a guy who still calls people ragamuffin and had to be told Mordercai Brown, a 1900's era ballplayer, was dead....in 1995.

He also told him when the plant was about to melt down, and Burns clearly didn't believe him when he tried to walk away it back. Burns knows how Smithers feels, but it doesn't bother him because he doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not when they still censor the "hole" in "rear end in a top hat," which I will never understand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, maybe Dragon Ball Super should realize that it is "super" not okay for Master Roshi to still be attempting to molest young women against their will.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gaunab posted:

I always liked when Dan beat up Jackie's abusive boyfriend.

The original Roseanne was so progressive that I couldn't believe Roseanne was a Trumper. John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are treasures.

I agree. I was so excited to see the Roseanne revival. I was able to stomach it until the "make sure to beat your kids" bit. I've been watching "The Conners" but, without a center, it really hasn't found it's feet. I assume it's going to be/already has been cancelled but I think it still has a chance if they can get Goodman to put his back into it. He can't be the center of the show, but the writers should be able to find the center if they try.

They need to go back to the super-progressive/conservative middle America dichotomy of the old series. The world needs a nice mix of conservative/liberal values in a show where you can get mad, get excited, and cry all in the same episode. It used to work...

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Goodman just needs to walk in and say "sluggo is lit" boom instant millenial hit.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hey, maybe Dragon Ball Super should realize that it is "super" not okay for Master Roshi to still be attempting to molest young women against their will.

I mean it's a Japanese show so good luck trying to convince them! I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but the Japanese probably wouldn't even understand what you are upset about. After all, Roshi never actually succeeds, right? The fact that his even taking those actions harms the women he is chasing is not something they seem to get.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Krispy Wafer posted:

NYPD Blue had such a thing for getting their cast naked, it was a joke that if you showed your butt, you were bound for the permanent cast.Part of the gritty realism of the show?

I also recollect that the 90s has several very mild lesbian moments that were "the kiss that shocked America": LA Law, Roseanne, some other shows? I don't remember much actual shock, just magazines saying there was shock.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean it's a Japanese show so good luck trying to convince them! I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but the Japanese probably wouldn't even understand what you are upset about. After all, Roshi never actually succeeds, right? The fact that his even taking those actions harms the women he is chasing is not something they seem to get.

No wonder they aren't having babies

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I think trying to put a label on Bob's sexuality is one of those things. I interpret it as that he's not so much bisexual as just open to any and all opportunities, including men and women. Maybe closer to pan?

I will say, on topic, that some of the very early episodes of Bob's Burgers do not hold up when putting them into the context of the later series. Season 2 is where it started to hit its stride in a big way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Burgersexual.

nonathlon posted:

NYPD Blue had such a thing for getting their cast naked, it was a joke that if you showed your butt, you were bound for the permanent cast.Part of the gritty realism of the show?

I also recollect that the 90s has several very mild lesbian moments that were "the kiss that shocked America": LA Law, Roseanne, some other shows? I don't remember much actual shock, just magazines saying there was shock.

I can never forget the episode where Dennis Franz has a shower scene with his love interest where the joke is she is fondling him in said shower.