Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure but it doesn’t make slapping those stickers around after breaking poo poo any less stupid and ugly.
oh it was 100% stupid and ugly. but it probably wasn't government policy to do it, which was where the conversation was headed.
i know you know that stupid and ugly poo poo is just as possible (more possible?) from the bottom up as from the top down, because you and i took the same courses in grad school. things do not have to be a capital c conspiracy to be terrible.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

Re: de Gaulle; he and Churchill had quite a buddy cop movie relationship.
so did churchill and stalin, which was hilarious

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good Anti-Nazi rear end in a top hat, Bon Anti-Nazi rear end in a top hat, Horosho Anti-Nazi rear end in a top hat

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Fangz posted:

well let me tell you about the times I was yelled at in school then to prove a point to you strangers on the internet about how I learned the true nature of society

It was meant to be a funny story about an adult who got embarrassed because they couldn't answer a child's question. I promise you I wasn't trying to prove any political point with it at all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

It was meant to be a funny story about an adult who got embarrassed because they couldn't answer a child's question. I promise you I wasn't trying to prove any political point with it at all.

i think we're all on edge due to the political climate, and i hope we can remain friends despite our disagreements

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mr Enderby posted:

Sorry, I kinda automatically empathized with poor schmucks that have to do some dumb public facing thing that was never what they signed on to do, reading from a script that these kids don't give a poo poo about anyway, and there's one smartarse kid that just wants to waste everyone's time by making them explain the dubious rationale behind the war on drugs to fifty kids that want to go home

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Fangz posted:

Sorry, I kinda automatically empathized with poor schmucks that have to do some dumb public facing thing that was never what they signed on to do, reading from a script that these kids don't give a poo poo about anyway, and there's one smartarse kid that just wants to waste everyone's time by making them explain the dubious rationale behind the war on drugs to fifty kids that want to go home

If it's any consolation the met are a pack of shits so wasting their time is good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But think of the children.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t know too much about De Gaulle but I do know that FDR loving hated him so I’m going to go with that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

If it's any consolation the met are a pack of shits so wasting their time is good.

Bastards shot chewbacca

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The worst cop sticker I ever came across was given to me by a friend from Sydney, it says COPS ARE TOPS in huge white letters :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Russian Renault

Queue: Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects, Challenger I

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42
Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bastards shot chewbacca

No, he died with Han when the Falcon crashed on Earth. Indy found them.

E: Oops, he didn't.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How many medieval castles are poo poo? Like not every podunk impoverished noble can have had the wherewithal to hire a builder who knew what he was doing. Has someone ever compiled numbers on how many of them were just kinda crap as fortifications?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

ChubbyChecker posted:

'He felt it was essential to his position before the French people that he should maintain a proud and haughty demeanour towards "perfidious Albion", although in exile, dependent upon our protection and dwelling in our midst. He had to be rude to the British to prove to French eyes that he was not a British puppet. He certainly carried out this policy with perseverance.'

This is the crux of it IMO. De Gaulle was horrifyingly rude to all of the other allies and insisted that everything he did was for the Honour of France, which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as the Pride of Charles in his head. He pissed off pretty much every high ranking Allied commander going, only Churchill really liked him and Churchill spend half the war having daft romantic ideas. If you read the quote on Churchill from him you will notice it claims he's always right and Churchill is always wrong. He told Leclerc to disobey orders and make a run for Paris, the demanded a victory parade while fighting was basically still ongoing. He demanded a post war occupation zone the France couldn't really afford and renounced an AMGOT for France until everything was sorted out because he was government enough. He left NATO integrated command because he didn't want to cooperate with people while not leaving NATO because he still wanted everyone to come to his aid if France were attacked. He wouldn't allow the UK to join the EEC because reasons. Nothing he did really helped France in the long run, he just made them feel good.

He also seized power in a coup de etat, which people tend to forget.

gently caress I hate Charles De Gaulle.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Schadenboner posted:

No, he died with Han when the Falcon crashed on Earth. Indy found them.

E: Oops, he didn't.

Less upset at the premise and more at the art

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

FrangibleCover posted:

Churchill spend all of both wars having daft romantic ideas

Fixed that for you

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Fixed that for you

which is why clement atlee admired him.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

How many medieval castles are poo poo? Like not every podunk impoverished noble can have had the wherewithal to hire a builder who knew what he was doing. Has someone ever compiled numbers on how many of them were just kinda crap as fortifications?

I wrote some welsh castle posts in the last iteration of the thread - I am just driving up to Bletchley park of all places then will give my big old list of good and crap castles in north wales.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How did Britain and France go from traditional enemies up to the Napoleonic wars (and beyond?) to firm allies by WW1?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

How did Britain and France go from traditional enemies up to the Napoleonic wars (and beyond?) to firm allies by WW1?

Because Willie 2 hosed up diplomacy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Because Willie 2 hosed up diplomacy.

Process started earlier than that. Mostly to keep ze Germans/Russians in check. They teamed up in the 1850s to try and save the Ottomans in the Crimean War, and talked about intervening in the ACW. They also teamed up to protect their loans in Mexico, although they had a falling out over installing Maximillian. Bismarck was able to get his expansion done while they were at odds with each other, but German naval race and desire for that sausage factory in Tanganyika pushed France and Britain back together pretty quick. Once they managed to settle their colonial borders with each other, that is.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FrangibleCover posted:

This is the crux of it IMO. De Gaulle was horrifyingly rude to all of the other allies and insisted that everything he did was for the Honour of France, which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as the Pride of Charles in his head. He pissed off pretty much every high ranking Allied commander going, only Churchill really liked him and Churchill spend half the war having daft romantic ideas. If you read the quote on Churchill from him you will notice it claims he's always right and Churchill is always wrong. He told Leclerc to disobey orders and make a run for Paris, the demanded a victory parade while fighting was basically still ongoing. He demanded a post war occupation zone the France couldn't really afford and renounced an AMGOT for France until everything was sorted out because he was government enough. He left NATO integrated command because he didn't want to cooperate with people while not leaving NATO because he still wanted everyone to come to his aid if France were attacked. He wouldn't allow the UK to join the EEC because reasons. Nothing he did really helped France in the long run, he just made them feel good.

He also seized power in a coup de etat, which people tend to forget.

gently caress I hate Charles De Gaulle.

Yeah, he was an rear end in a top hat, but his genocide victims aren't counted in millions, unlike Churchill's and Stalin's.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

which is why clement atlee admired him.

Clem was our best and most overrated prime minister all at once

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

lenoon posted:

I wrote some welsh castle posts in the last iteration of the thread - I am just driving up to Bletchley park of all places then will give my big old list of good and crap castles in north wales.

Beaumaris is superb, I don't think I've ever seen a castle that would be easier to defend pre-Gunpowder. Harlech was decent too but honestly you could whack a picket fence around that hill and it would still be a pain in the arse to assault. I don't think I went to many crap ones up there, but I will say that Cardiff Castle is pretty uninspiring in design.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, he was an rear end in a top hat, but his genocide victims aren't counted in millions, unlike Churchill's and Stalin's.

Are we doing the Bengal Famine thing again? Let's do a quick recap of events in 1943:

Japan:
- Sank much of the coastal shipping in the Bay of Bengal, preventing food movement along the coastal routes and reducing fishing capacity
- Occupied Burma, the traditional source of extra food for Bengal
--- Thereby forced the movement of troops and supplies to the Indian border, further disrupting normal trade patterns

Churchill:
- Did nothing

I'm not saying he should have done nothing and I'm sure there were things that could have been done to help but equivocating him to Stalin is kinda unfair.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Clem was our best and most overrated prime minister all at once
i love that while he's making GBS threads his guts out at gallipoli he has the time to think "the dude who came up with this isn't afraid to THINK BIG"

edit: this may be the most extreme version of that thing where the two male leads beat each other up and then they're friends that i've ever seen

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 2, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

i love that while he's making GBS threads his guts out at gallipoli he has the time to think "the dude who came up with this isn't afraid to THINK BIG"

edit: this may be the most extreme version of that thing where the two male leads beat each other up and then they're friends that i've ever seen

haha

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It’s astounding to me that Attlee still thought of him as “my Winston” after Churchill pitched his hilariously unsuccessful Labour=Gestapo idea in order to counter “hey let’s establish the state you fought for” with “let’s get back to the misery of the 30s”

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And yet, still one of our better PM's compared to the chodes that followed. The best thing about him was he personally saw the poo poo show that is war from the ground up and knew the consequences.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

It’s astounding to me that Attlee still thought of him as “my Winston”
i disagree with most of my friends and family. human beings, human interaction, and the course of affairs are intractably complicated

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Just the Duke of Buckingham and his mother playing some pranks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Just the Duke of Buckingham and his mother playing some pranks.

how nearsighted was james

also if i wanted to grab a coffee with you while i was in the uk, where would i send the email

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

also if i wanted to grab a coffee with you while i was in the uk, where would i send the email

It's a gmail domain, the username is...

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 2, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this ties into the thing squalid, cyrano, and i were talking about where there's this period from the late 19th century to somewhere around the 70s where everyone on all political sides keeps confusing "a large idea" with "a good idea"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

HEY GUNS posted:

this ties into the thing squalid, cyrano, and i were talking about where there's this period from the late 19th century to somewhere around the 70s where everyone on all political sides keeps confusing "a large idea" with "a good idea"

For some reason this post reminds me of those crazy '50s geoengineering projects that I can't remember the details of.

Let's dig a canal with nuclear explosions! C'mon guys, it'll be awesome!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StandardVC10 posted:

For some reason this post reminds me of those crazy '50s geoengineering projects that I can't remember the details of.

Let's dig a canal with nuclear explosions! C'mon guys, it'll be awesome!

Weren't they going to build a harbor in Alaska that way too?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Project Plowshare

"peaceful nuclear explosions" is making me smile

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

My personal favourite version: The groundnut scheme.

Attlee was one of the very few member of the labour government at the time who were friendly towards tories despite all working together during the war - this is of course also the time of Bevan’s great Vermin speech. People may be complicated but tories still (usually) wankers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

My personal favourite version: The groundnut scheme.
hell yes. someone in i think italy wanted to drain the med and farm on the resulting land. big dyke energy

GotLag posted:

"peaceful nuclear explosions"
large peaceful ideas

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

hell yes. someone in i think italy wanted to drain the med and farm on the resulting land. big dyke energy

large peaceful ideas

Do you mean Atlantropa ?