Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what games are those

Legend of Heroes, the only good jrpg series

Also the only videogames that portray the bourgeoisie as the true enemy rather than the nobility

Trails of the Sky 1-3 are on steam as is Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 (which is the game pictured)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Like one of the big moments in Trails of Cold Steel 2 is when the mc realizes that the nobility are just enemies of circumstance, and that they were in fact the main force opposing Erebonian imperialist foreign policy

which makes it all the worse when the bourgeoisie win the civil war and promptly annex a neighboring country. Roll credits.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

Whats c-spams recommend city builder/city sim if Skylines is just Traffic Management 2018
Pharaoh, still the greatest.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Red dead online is funny. Playing on my own I'm. Hill as hell and focused on just wandering around hunting and gathering.

The moment I posse up? "lasso that pubbie and drag him off a cliff, haha did you see his dumb rear end ragdoll off"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Pharaoh, still the greatest.

Walkers are an infuriating mechanic tho, even with Pharaoh's roadblocks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

Like one of the big moments in Trails of Cold Steel 2 is when the mc realizes that the nobility are just enemies of circumstance, and that they were in fact the main force opposing Erebonian imperialist foreign policy

which makes it all the worse when the bourgeoisie win the civil war and promptly annex a neighboring country. Roll credits.

You missed the part where the best system presented is an aristocracy run the good nobles who uphold noblesse oblige and preside over a perfectly functional class system every segment of society is more or less happy with

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Whats c-spams recommend city builder/city sim if Skylines is just Traffic Management 2018

Tropico

Make tiny little paradises with free food/housing/healthcare/social security. Population happiness through the roof, economy humming, new college graduates showing up on every boat to take one of our high paying jobs on this tropical paradise!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

Walkers are an infuriating mechanic tho, even with Pharaoh's roadblocks.
They're the basis of why the game is good beyond the music and lovely art!

Gotta make your designs beautiful and functional, totally legit.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

multijoe posted:

You missed the part where the best system presented is an aristocracy run the good nobles who uphold noblesse oblige and preside over a perfectly functional class system every segment of society is more or less happy with

Idk the games are pretty clear that every noble not in the party is a irredeemable scumbag

like the whole point of the noble city chapter in 1 is about how its good they dont run the country anymore and they totally deserve the boot on their necks

theres also the fact you spend the entire first two games fighting the nobles who overthrew the government because they were becoming irrelevant

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Dec 2, 2018

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

its unreal how much Bethesda has hosed up fallout.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

Legend of Heroes, the only good jrpg series

Also the only videogames that portray the bourgeoisie as the true enemy rather than the nobility

Trails of the Sky 1-3 are on steam as is Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 (which is the game pictured)

I played the first Trails in the Sky and it's really good storytelling wise, although the Trails in the Sky series didn't seem very political beyond the geopolitics of living in a tiny nation--state existentially threatened by a big neighboring empire.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Tunnel Snakes rule!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mother 3 has a rather boilerplate "consumerism makes monsters of us all" plot, but i'll take it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

Tunnel Snakes rule!

Going back to kill all the Tunnel Snakes owned

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

mother 3 has a rather boilerplate "consumerism makes monsters of us all" plot, but i'll take it

wolfenstein is very unapologetically "murder every fascist"

red dead redemption 2, labor abuses aside for a moment, lets you go loving hog wild on Klansmen, Slave Catchers, Confederate Soldiers, Pinkertons, Eugenics enthusiasts, and US soldiers. burn them, dismember them, drag them to their death, throw them off a loving cliff. and then the player character is all "I will kill every last one of you bastards" which is just loving amazing

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

get that OUT of my face posted:

mother 3 pretty cspam in general as the only way to play it in english is to pirate it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol forever at the concept of influencers

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
any game that lets you torture and mutilate pinkertons is GOTY, all years

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I played the first Trails in the Sky and it's really good storytelling wise, although the Trails in the Sky series didn't seem very political beyond the geopolitics of living in a tiny nation--state existentially threatened by a big neighboring empire.

lol japan

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

While we're on the topic of good JRPGs the Suikoden series has always been a favorite of mine, because it's one of the few game series that can take a broad historical analysis of human affairs. Even if it avoids the issue of politics and ideology, it plants its world squarely within a dialectical framework. All 108 "stars of destiny" may be fated to rise to the occasion and become historical actors, but they're not fated because they're special or because they have some in-born trait - they're fated by the very dialectical processes of history itself to be empowered as historical actors. While the first two games were geopolitical dramas, the third one took this framework to its philosophical conclusions by having an antagonist who had previously played bit parts, but who is now filled with an existential dread for the fate of the world, as the dialectical forces behind history will eventually divide the universe into the binary oppositions of perfect order and chaos.

Then they ruined the historicity of the series by making Suikoden 4 a prequel, and Suikoden 5 was like who cares. Now the whole series has been languishing for twelve years without a proper sequel.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best jrpg is chrono trigger

it doesnt really have a sophisticated message at all its just better than all the rest of them

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

its unreal how much Bethesda has hosed up fallout.

yeah it feels almost ridiculous describing it as a failure directly because of capitalist rent-seeking because it's such a clear and coherent example of how perpetual growth is not only impossible but pursuing it is outright self-destructive

it's the videogame communist version of "I worked on this story for a year, and he just tweeted it out!"

it even demonstrates the inflexibility of capital because the genre it tried to clone was one that was popular with streamers and youtubers a few years ago but has been almost completely abandoned by that demographic in favor of fortnite

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

the best jrpg is chrono trigger

it doesnt really have a sophisticated message at all its just better than all the rest of them

Chrono Trigger is one of the few jrpgs where your choices actually matter, since there's several ways you can affect the timeline.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I remember enjoying trails in the sky, very simple but satisfying combat. The Japanese tropes become unbearable in cold steel tho lol, maybe its the act of jumping into 3d that really undoes it all. The whole no homicide is at least feasible in concept when you're wielding a quarterstaff, cold steel man has a fuken samurai sword, how the gently caress. On the upside, you do get to see a guy making a blood and soil speech get murked.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

I remember enjoying trails in the sky, very simple but satisfying combat. The Japanese tropes become unbearable in cold steel tho lol, maybe its the act of jumping into 3d that really undoes it all. The whole no homicide is at least feasible in concept when you're wielding a quarterstaff, cold steel man has a fuken samurai sword, how the gently caress. On the upside, you do get to see a guy making a blood and soil speech get murked.

Ys is the better series because the Chad Adol can finish what he fukken starts, unlike the Virgin Rean whos main enemies escape in cutscenes half the time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SpaceGoku posted:

yeah it feels almost ridiculous describing it as a failure directly because of capitalist rent-seeking because it's such a clear and coherent example of how perpetual growth is not only impossible but pursuing it is outright self-destructive

it's the videogame communist version of "I worked on this story for a year, and he just tweeted it out!"

it even demonstrates the inflexibility of capital because the genre it tried to clone was one that was popular with streamers and youtubers a few years ago but has been almost completely abandoned by that demographic in favor of fortnite

Oblivion and Fallout 3 became megahits because Bethesda was filling in an unsupported niche in gaming, with big open worlds that you could explore with fully voiced NPCs. Now open world games are a dime a dozen, so to differentiate themselves Bethesda has to go back to what made Morrowind and Fallout great, which is compelling storytelling in settings that are incredibly different and novel compared to everything else on the market.

Instead of taking a risk and returning to form, they milked Skyrim for 7 years and eventually farted out Fallout 76.

It's just another way in which capitalism is inherently risk-averse in its pursuit of profit. You can be risk-averse if you're extracting resources from out of the ground, or manufacturing millions of yards of cloth, but you can't be risk-averse when it comes to more complex things that satisfy an unfulfilled social or intellectual element in the same way art can. Eventually people just get tired of the same old stuff and move on to something else that seems fresh and novel.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

IDONTPOST posted:

mother 3 pretty cspam in general as the only way to play it in english is to pirate it

untrue:

+ Plus loading the fan translation on whatever that GBA loader cart is called, would let you play it on your GBA, legally.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

While we're on the topic of good JRPGs the Suikoden series has always been a favorite of mine, because it's one of the few game series that can take a broad historical analysis of human affairs. Even if it avoids the issue of politics and ideology, it plants its world squarely within a dialectical framework. All 108 "stars of destiny" may be fated to rise to the occasion and become historical actors, but they're not fated because they're special or because they have some in-born trait - they're fated by the very dialectical processes of history itself to be empowered as historical actors. While the first two games were geopolitical dramas, the third one took this framework to its philosophical conclusions by having an antagonist who had previously played bit parts, but who is now filled with an existential dread for the fate of the world, as the dialectical forces behind history will eventually divide the universe into the binary oppositions of perfect order and chaos.

Then they ruined the historicity of the series by making Suikoden 4 a prequel, and Suikoden 5 was like who cares. Now the whole series has been languishing for twelve years without a proper sequel.

Mathiu sighed and drew his katana.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

suikoden 5 was good tho

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any grognard mil-sim fans, please feel free to check out a Russia v. Japan conflict scenario in Let's Play: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871512

We're at the point where I'm spamming anime jams to get these weeaboo cowards to fight for their lives

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i am rally bad at making faces in games so im riding around in rdr2 with a fetal alcohol syndrome looking leprechaun with giant mutton chops. a guy made me kidnap some dude and kill six of his body guards for the princely sum of $4.31

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IDONTPOST posted:

i got it on a GBA flash cart so that i can play it on my DS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still need to flash the firmware on my RS-97 handheld so I can play all the GBA games I want on this crummy Chinese GBA Micro wannabe handheld I bought forever ago

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh cool theres a free hitman 2016 demo on steam

oh... its just the two tutorials......

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

cumshitter posted:

i am rally bad at making faces in games so im riding around in rdr2 with a fetal alcohol syndrome looking leprechaun with giant mutton chops. a guy made me kidnap some dude and kill six of his body guards for the princely sum of $4.31

that's enough to buy four gold wedding rings or two cans of baked beans

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"too expensive" for a $200 edition lmfao

Bro Dad posted:

suikoden 5 was good tho

It's been over ten years since I played it, but I don't remember it being particularly compelling. The whole problem with the prequels was that 4 was set too far in the past to matter when it came to events in the main series, and 5 was set on a different continent even though it was only 6 years before Suikoden 1. Prequels work when they provide more context to the original story, but those two just felt superfluous.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

oh cool theres a free hitman 2016 demo on steam

oh... its just the two tutorials......

don't they give you the freeform boat tutorial

hitman 2 is absolutely worth it. it's incredible fun.

if not then just settle for Blood Money, which in some ways I prefer to Neo-Hitmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

idk what hte deal with the hitman 2 free thing is