Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i just remembered my favorite thing about suikoden 2 which was that one of the 108 stars you can recruit is a noir detective who will do up to 3 background checks on your favorite characters. it takes an hour. you could just let your system idel and go back but eh

but with 108 characters there was no way they could go in depth outside of about maybe a dozen characters. i remember being a dumb 11 year old and having a crush on the girl who does a William tell style knife throw at an apple on your head. she ended up being a pretty good caster and she and her sister could do a three person combo with their mongoloid brawler brother that was pretty badass

also i think there was a drug warz style trading game in it? man, that game was great. i still have the original disc lying around my home somewhere i should boot it up sometime once im done levelling up my mutton chopped dude in rdr2 online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress was that n64 game where theres a truck carrying an atomic bomb that's too radioactive for anyone to hop in and drive so you have to devastate every city in its path using poo poo like a truck that shoots out giant iron walls from its sides and a flying robot that hops buildings into rubble? that game ruled

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

cumshitter posted:

what the gently caress was that n64 game where theres a truck carrying an atomic bomb that's too radioactive for anyone to hop in and drive so you have to devastate every city in its path using poo poo like a truck that shoots out giant iron walls from its sides and a flying robot that hops buildings into rubble? that game ruled

blast corps?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

IDONTPOST posted:

blast corps?

hell yes that was it. thank you

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Crotch posted:

lmao, just, lmao

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i still think one of the best gambling places in any video game was Lufia II's gambling parlor. never made enough money to get a bunny sword but it still ruled

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are GOAT status
The 3rd Birthday was loving great too don't @ me

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is fun

https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl/status/1069114864109592576?s=19

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The Crotch posted:

That's what we call "the good poo poo".

EDIT: gently caress, I forgot about FF6.

lmao, just, lmao

we will never know how anyone thought those sprites were acceptable

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Excited to play Final Fantasy Habbo Hotel edition

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cumshitter posted:

i still think one of the best gambling places in any video game was Lufia II's gambling parlor. never made enough money to get a bunny sword but it still ruled

the puzzles in that game were so good

also ugh i think i've grinded in the tower long enough to kill gades and get his sword in two separate games

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

quote:

Mauser pistols, for instance, only cost $35 in 1899, yet in Red Dead Online the guns require players to put forward a whopping $1000 - more like today's prices for the antiques. In single-player, this gun costs a more reasonable $250, meaning Rockstar has increased the price by 300 per cent for the online mode.

quote:

Dollars can be earned from activities like hunting and completing missions, and then spent on weapons, cosmetics and other useful things. The problem here is looting in Red Dead Online only gives you about a tenth of what you would earn for the same activity in the single-player mode. And with the simultaneous inflation of the cost of basic items, converting your hard-earned dough into actual bread becomes particularly difficult.

lol this is so disgusting

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Ys is the better series because the Chad Adol can finish what he fukken starts, unlike the Virgin Rean whos main enemies escape in cutscenes half the time

the combat in The Elder Scrolls looks to be basically the bump-fighting of Ys but worse

Ys, on the other hand, fuckin' owns

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

blast corps?

there is only one single use for the police that I can possibly conceive of and it's to arrest the people at Microsoft for not contracting Rare to make a new Blast Corps

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

A Handed Missus posted:

lol this is so disgusting

the exact same thing that happened in gta online who could have predicted this

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

also ugh i think i've grinded in the tower long enough to kill gades and get his sword in two separate games

the puzzles were good and it was cool as gently caress how you could feed garbage items to your pet elementals instead of selling them

i don't know who gades is tell me. it has been a log time since i played it. was he a sinistral?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cumshitter posted:

the puzzles were good and it was cool as gently caress how you could feed garbage items to your pet elementals instead of selling them

i don't know who gades is tell me. it has been a log time since i played it. was he a sinistral?

yeah he's a minor one you fight like 1/3 of the way through the game

you can lose and still progress but if you grind in the tower awhile you can beat him and get his sword which is the best heavy weapon in the game

as posted earlier in the thread i like doing that kinda poo poo than actually completing the plot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I've literally just replayed FF7/8/9 on Steam, if you can grunt through the first 8-10 hours of a JRPG, your brain slows down enough to be okay with the glacial pacing of the combat and whatnot.

When I first started FF7 I remember staring at the combat action bars filling like "what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck?!" but by the middle of the game I was over it.

yeah, i think a big part of why ff7 was such a hit was that it actually had a relatively speaking compelling fast pace (story-wise) the first 8ish hours, which lulled people into then not minding the meandering pace (which has more in common with other ff's) it switches to once you're out on the world map

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i think a big part of why ff7 was such a hit was that it actually had a relatively speaking compelling fast pace (story-wise) the first 8ish hours, which lulled people into then not minding the meandering pace (which has more in common with other ff's) it switches to once you're out on the world map

imo it's a good execution of closed world to semi-open

my first game getting out of midgar i really, really enjoyed running around on the map

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sure. I haven't had the patience to play any jrpg for almost 20 years, but the main thing I still associate with the genre is a certain mood when let loose on the map/world the first (or subsequent with added movement options) time. Terranigma leaps out as one that really thrives on that. FF7 was a bit unique at the time in the number of setpieces they strung together before that moment, but it is still very recognizable. Just rather clever as I think it made it a lot more accessible giving people a lot of immediate payoffs while settling them into the game.

For the theme of the thread I do think it also did help I think that it ran head-on into recognizable themes of economic inequality and ecological problems, which did remain in the background even when things got fantastical. I still sort of liked FF9 better (also the last jrpg I played), but hard to deny that the themes are a lot more muddled in that one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

X-com like game coming out on Dec 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0X4RtVqcI

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'd kill for a game which captures the feeling and tone of the original X-Com but isn't glacially slow like Xenonauts or dumb like the X-Com remake.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hungry posted:

I'd kill for a game which captures the feeling and tone of the original X-Com but isn't glacially slow like Xenonauts or dumb like the X-Com remake.

The X-Com remake was really good even though whining about it not being exactly like the original is pretty predictable.

Phoenix point looks interesting but who knows if it will be any good...

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
As charming as FF9 is, it did kind of stumble over it's own fanatical devotion to referencing as much old FF lore as it could. I still think the main themes come through pretty well; anxiety over your identity, trying to take control of your life from forces outside yourself, fear of death/the unknown, and the other classic FF tropes; friendship, courage, love, honor. It's kind of a weird blend of FF7+8 plots, the life force of the planet/soul energy/spirituality tied to the environment of 7, and the existential anxiety/fear of abandonment/fear of being vulnerable to someone with your emotions and love from 8.

After finishing my play through, I feel like the game was supposed to go in a different direction and maybe got hamfistedly changed midway through. Garnet feels like the real star of the game despite how front and center Zidane is. Her backstory is way more grounded and fleshed out than Zidane's, and way more relatable. I feel like maybe a short while into development some w/e thief character was changed into the star and made into a Genome. There's no reason for him to be one, and no reason for him to be Kuja's "brother", it doesn't play into the plot at all (unless it was just some kinda weird call back to 7), and we already have a plot with manufactured puppets via Vivi. Zidane just shrugs it all off anyway and doesn't give a poo poo. The plot would have still gone to the same place and ended more or less the same if Garnet was the star and Zidane wasn't a Genome, hell they could have left that in, but we could have gotten way more Garnet and probably an overall more impactful story (as she actually grows and changes over the course of the game, whereas Zidane's "last" act is the same stubborn bullshit he's been about).

ALSO, Melodies Of Life is the best game theme, Nobuo Uematsu is so great :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7BGnlTZmQ

smarxist has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Dec 2, 2018

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this looks kinda chill but i've played so many xcomlikes recently and I dont want to get burned out before phoenix point. the genre really went nuts in the last couple years

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

this looks kinda chill but i've played so many xcomlikes recently and I dont want to get burned out before phoenix point. the genre really went nuts in the last couple years

Well it doesn't have anything like basebuilding and has a different take on setting up ambushes than X-Com 2.

Looks interesting and has many former Hitman team members on project.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how much is fallout

thinking abot cheap gifts for my sister

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
also i purchased child if light for switch and it is very good.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

cumshitter posted:

hell yes that was it. thank you

I wish they made a sequel or there were something like it

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

etalian posted:

The X-Com remake was really good even though whining about it not being exactly like the original is pretty predictable.

Phoenix point looks interesting but who knows if it will be any good...

My problem with Enemy Unknown is nothing to do with it not being exactly like the original and everything to do with the artificiality of its systems funneling the player into a limited approach, similar to so many tedious video games afraid to allow the player to experiment.

The biggest example of this and the one which disgusts me to this day is the way you can't outflank aliens or use the map in a logical, tactical fashion, because the game keeps 'frozen' trios or pairs of aliens in the fog of war, which only exist and start moving once you get close enough to them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a whole page of jrpgs and some turn-based combat with furries.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fallout 2 with all the sprites replaced with sailor moon

Edit: I started playing red dead 2 online and despite coming across a lot of players I only got shot at once and the person who did shoot at me immediately ran away

I tend to keep my weapons holstered, and people are surprisingly not as trigger happy as I thought they’d be. I’m still cautious but that’s surprising given my experience with day z and gta online

Scary! has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Dec 2, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scary! posted:

Fallout 2 with all the sprites replaced with sailor moon

Edit: I started playing red dead 2 online and despite coming across a lot of players I only got shot at once and the person who did shoot at me immediately ran away

I tend to keep my weapons holstered, and people are surprisingly not as trigger happy as I thought they’d be. I’m still cautious but that’s surprising given my experience with day z and gta online

It is a really fun historical alt right weirdo hunting game.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We should make a c-spam posse

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scary! posted:

We should make a c-spam posse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwsu9RJGlXI

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Victory Position posted:

there is only one single use for the police that I can possibly conceive of and it's to arrest the people at Microsoft for not contracting Rare to make a new Blast Corps

It's one of only a few reasons I've held on to my old N64, and hook it up on occasion (though lol that we were all once impressed by those explosions). I've managed the all-gold postgame challenge, but not all-platinum.

i say swears online posted:

Both the classic Lufia games are pretty awesome and I replay them periodically, but both have a few too many filler dungeons/towers that could have been cut without lessening the experience any (particularly Lufia 1).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cumshitter posted:

i just remembered my favorite thing about suikoden 2 which was that one of the 108 stars you can recruit is a noir detective who will do up to 3 background checks on your favorite characters. it takes an hour. you could just let your system idel and go back but eh

but with 108 characters there was no way they could go in depth outside of about maybe a dozen characters. i remember being a dumb 11 year old and having a crush on the girl who does a William tell style knife throw at an apple on your head. she ended up being a pretty good caster and she and her sister could do a three person combo with their mongoloid brawler brother that was pretty badass

also i think there was a drug warz style trading game in it? man, that game was great. i still have the original disc lying around my home somewhere i should boot it up sometime once im done levelling up my mutton chopped dude in rdr2 online

Suikoden 2 is great because the biggest, baddest, mass-murdering sonofabitch in the whole series built up to be the main antagonist was anticlimactically killed 2/3s of the way through the story.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Suikoden 2 is great because the biggest, baddest, mass-murdering sonofabitch in the whole series built up to be the main antagonist was anticlimactically killed 2/3s of the way through the story.

i wouldn't call it anticlimactic despite how early it was, it took a lot to put that guy down

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yinlock posted:

i wouldn't call it anticlimactic despite how early it was, it took a lot to put that guy down

It's anticlimactic in the sense that it's literally not the climax of the game. Because the real antagonist isn't an evil person or bad people, it's the very cosmic forces which deterministically shaped the course of human affairs from before the game even began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

ShriekingMarxist posted:

Parasite Eve is due for some kinda reboot or remaster, it was a great game and way ahead of its time.

I'd also love to see another Vagrant Story

basically everything square did on the ps1 that wasnt final fantasy

if they put out a collection of those as a few packs i would buy them all