Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Holy poo poo, Internet. :smith:

The same thing happened with Stellaris, and I hope that when Egosoft turns on Steam Workshop integration for mods, they come down on this poo poo like Paradox did with Stellaris mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I finally set up Voice Attack for this and now I fly around barking commands to my ship like a goober. Game owns bones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anticheese posted:

2) You'll hear static as you near a signal. If you ...
People have posted things like this a few times. I’ve never played X-anything, is this a game where you are noticeably hampered if you play without sound?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

"No I'm not racist, I just don't like how black people in the game look"

I will never understand the psychology of people who feel that just acknowledging that other races exist is a bridge too far. Like how deep is the racism rooted in your brain that you can't even LOOK at someone who has a different skin colour than you?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this thread will be busy enough without devolving into discussions on internet racists

Just sayin’

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Boy howdy some of these tutorials are busted as poo poo.

I've gone through all the ones that it will let me and seem relevant to this point. Guess I'll just start exploring.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Popete posted:

I'm still going through tutorials and have hardly left the starting Argon station but just watching the huge variety of ships (and sizes) fly in and out is really cool. The universe feels very alive.

:same:

I've jumped in a couple and had them fly off with me aboard, I just sort of hung around for a bit and then reloaded my save. It was pretty cool seeing all that stuff going on.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gonna be honest... the excitement I have of just playing the game combined with the excitement of where it's going to go when the mods start rolling in (especially the ones that expand the universe beyond its current size) is too much excitement for a game I'm already playing.

Hey so uhh, where is the extensions folder for mods? I don't seem to have one...
Edit: Never mind, another mod explained that you have to just make one at the root install dir!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 2, 2018

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Holy poo poo people are awful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has anyone extracted weapon stats yet? Or at least have done some testing on what works best with turrets and against shields/hull?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've got one of those "deliver unstable crystals" missions that opens up the black market but I can't figure out how to deliver these things. The help channel in discord suggested I find the person at a bar but the station the mission wants me to deliver to doesn't seem to have a bar?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So what stations have space bars because I haven't found one?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So for the mission that gives you the HQ, I'm at the part where I need to build a dock and I'm not totally clear on what it means when it says I need to assign a builder - does that mean I need to buy a builder ship, or is there an NPC type that I need to hire? I feel like it's probably the former which means that I'm nowhere near being able to afford it but I want to be sure before I head off to start earning cash.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I think you can hire a builder as well? Or certainly you could do that in previous X games in order to save money.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So for the mission that gives you the HQ, I'm at the part where I need to build a dock and I'm not totally clear on what it means when it says I need to assign a builder - does that mean I need to buy a builder ship, or is there an NPC type that I need to hire? I feel like it's probably the former which means that I'm nowhere near being able to afford it but I want to be sure before I head off to start earning cash.

When you’re in the planning phase, there’s a button to hire a constructor. When you push it, you need to find a constructor ship somewhere in the universe. I found one in Argon Prime, where I dropped a satellite next to the warf - I just chose it from the map. I’m not sure what it did next, but the station construction commenced - I had to put in some money, the station put up buy orders and freighters started bringing the needed wares in and it was done after a while.

Question: what role do crew members serve - my transporter chuggs along with a pilot and even though it has 20 crew slots, it works with just 2 servicemen onboard. I guess this is just transport capacity and you don’t actually need them?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Variable 5 posted:

I finally set up Voice Attack for this and now I fly around barking commands to my ship like a goober. Game owns bones.

Wait, what’s Voice Attack? It sounds awesome.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mokotow posted:

When you’re in the planning phase, there’s a button to hire a constructor. When you push it, you need to find a constructor ship somewhere in the universe. I found one in Argon Prime, where I dropped a satellite next to the warf - I just chose it from the map. I’m not sure what it did next, but the station construction commenced - I had to put in some money, the station put up buy orders and freighters started bringing the needed wares in and it was done after a while.
them?

The selected builder ship flies to the station (this can take quite a while) and deploys to become a temporary construction platform. I think the station actually starts with enough resources to build the dock. As it built it without spending any of the money I put up when I checked on it while having more resources than needed in storage as well. One thing I'm not clear on is the cost of hiring the builder.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

AlexanderCA posted:

The selected builder ship flies to the station (this can take quite a while) and deploys to become a temporary construction platform. I think the station actually starts with enough resources to build the dock. As it built it without spending any of the money I put up when I checked on it while having more resources than needed in storage as well. One thing I'm not clear on is the cost of hiring the builder.

It's 50k, paid out as soon as you hire the Builder ship and it makes its way to the station.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

I'm not sure if I broke the PHQ quest line - once I researched teleportation, the researcher guy tells me to test it.
The teleportation works, however there are no new objectives, and the researcher doesn't say anything.

Was the quest chain supposed to continue? Seems to be kinda anticlimactic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a trick to the "find resource deposit" type of mission? Because right now my approach is to just float through the asteroid field and manually click my way through the lot of them until I stumble upon the right kind, which seems... inefficient. :v:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

OwlFancier posted:

Which system is it in?

Or, where on the map is it abouts? If you can show a picture? I might have the route mapped.

Also the stations are randomly generated as far as I'm aware even if the sectors and connections are not.

It’s actually in a “not a sector” spot between Grand Exchange I and Nopileos Fortune VI, just off the white line connecting the gates. Since it’s an instant teleport I can’t really “exit” the jump. Pretty sure it’s glitched. Hopefully I will eventually run into other sources of antimatter like you said. Meantime I guess I’ll put my other ship to work and get a nest egg going. I’ll start by having my dude auto-explore all of Grand Exchange I since that’s where the mission tells me the station is. Maybe he’ll find it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Landing with a ship that has a max speed of 180 on a Cerberus zooming around at 333 sure is a hell of a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Timespy posted:

I'm not sure if I broke the PHQ quest line - once I researched teleportation, the researcher guy tells me to test it.
The teleportation works, however there are no new objectives, and the researcher doesn't say anything.

Was the quest chain supposed to continue? Seems to be kinda anticlimactic.

No that's it.

I think it's unfinished, honestly.

E: Hey that's a nice change I discovered, stations seem to construct drones on the fly using wares, rather than you having to fiddle about with them yourself!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 2, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't know what this nut job is talking about, I've seen more white people in stations then blacks. I'm assuming this guy went to a non Argon dock, saw that the only 2 humans on station were black, and went to work coding.

E: "Unrealistic hair" man this guy must be extremely sheltered.

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I don't know what this nut job is talking about, I've seen more white people in stations then blacks. I'm assuming this guy went to a non Argon dock, saw that the only 2 humans on station were black, and went to work coding.

E: "Unrealistic hair" man this guy must be extremely sheltered.

I've started the exploration route, so far I've only met 3-eyed aliens. :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

That's not the question though. The question from me and Slickdrac was how to fill out the Encyclopedia with locations items have been seen to be sold.

Oh, fair enough, i’ll go back to watching you guys flail around.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

1) Look for a Wharf. It's like a shipyard, but for small ships. I'm not sure how to sell my surplus ships though.

2) You'll hear static as you near a signal. If you turn on the scanning mode (shift + 2), it'll highlight them visually as well. The ones that look like a sparkler seem to be missions, while ones that are coming from a bit of broken station will give you some other benefit.

3) Sometimes pirates be that way and it won't tank your rep with their faction to shoot back.

Point two is how you claim ships. Jump into space, head to the other ship, look for the flashing ball, head to it, it decrypts and transfers the ship to you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

any good streams you folks would recommend to get a feel for the game?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Can you not have more then one mission at a time? I decided to take the plunge and was in the tutorial start, found a mission signal to go find an anomaly, and found another mission node which I hovered by. I accepted the new mission but wanted to keep going on the anomaly one and didn't find any way to make it active or even find it in the menu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WebDO posted:

Can you not have more then one mission at a time? I decided to take the plunge and was in the tutorial start, found a mission signal to go find an anomaly, and found another mission node which I hovered by. I accepted the new mission but wanted to keep going on the anomaly one and didn't find any way to make it active or even find it in the menu.

It's in the map menu, missions manager tab on the left, then there's three subtabs for that.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The game could do with a bounty hunter board, but I guess that will come in mods soon enough.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Perestroika posted:

Is there a trick to the "find resource deposit" type of mission? Because right now my approach is to just float through the asteroid field and manually click my way through the lot of them until I stumble upon the right kind, which seems... inefficient. :v:

Deploy a resource probe from the ship interactions menu.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Wait, what’s Voice Attack? It sounds awesome.

https://voiceattack.com

I bought it ages ago for either Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen but never got around to using it. So far I have commands set up for the three ship modes, docking, autopilot, and a perfect two-second ping during the long range scan mode. Adding more takes like 20 seconds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Did anyone else find an abandoned Gorgon while breaking the Boron out of captivity? It was right where the quest marker was for starting that mission. Annoys me cause I JUST bought one of my own :saddowns:

Also does space feel extremely safe for anyone else? I rarely see xenon or kha''ak, and when I do they're being swarmed by 5 other ships. The only time I ever got harassed by pirates was when I was trying to sacrifice a ship for the tear and 4 pirates decided they really wanted those 3 anti matter cells.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've found a way to live the hobo life: crafting first aid kits as you hitch a ride from station to station. They sell for about ten times the resource cost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Did anyone else find an abandoned Gorgon while breaking the Boron out of captivity? It was right where the quest marker was for starting that mission. Annoys me cause I JUST bought one of my own :saddowns:

Also does space feel extremely safe for anyone else? I rarely see xenon or kha''ak, and when I do they're being swarmed by 5 other ships. The only time I ever got harassed by pirates was when I was trying to sacrifice a ship for the tear and 4 pirates decided they really wanted those 3 anti matter cells.

Abandoned ships actually spawn around the place at random.

And yeah space is very safe afaict, I don't know if they intend for it to be replaced by the war mechanic or something but you don't tend to get attacked much.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I looted some poo poo from ships I shot. How do I view my inventory? How do I sell it?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Abandoned ships actually spawn around the place at random.

And yeah space is very safe afaict, I don't know if they intend for it to be replaced by the war mechanic or something but you don't tend to get attacked much.

"Space is very safe" he says as I get robbed by a pirate, and more impressively, while driving on the superhighway I run into a Xenon raiding party consisting of over a dozen ships + a capital ship

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game just makes me mad. It has the basic framework of a good game but is plagued with terrible decisions along the way that just make it frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I looted some poo poo from ships I shot. How do I view my inventory? How do I sell it?

hahaha

maaaan this is the weirdest gaming experience in my life

Like I really want to like this game, but I've restarted 3 times now all within an hour and each time I got to a point where I just went 'what the gently caress, how do I do this' and put it away.

The idea of the game is awesome, but trying to learn this feels like I should get a degree in videogames for my troubles.