Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
In online don’t buy worms from the catalogue. It seems to bug out and you can’t equip them as bait anymore. My fishing dreams...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BizarroAzrael posted:

Finished the main game: Arthur was great, could understand why he stayed even if it was frustrating. From what the doctor said, would it have been possible for him to recover if he got to take it easy somewhere dry?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if he stayed somewhere dry and rested he'd be able to make a full recovery, but I don't think that was an option for him unless he wanted to abandon the rest of the gang to Dutch and Micah's madness

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Nobody needs to tell me this isn't Rockstar's style, I already know, but it would be great if they offered some kind of roadmap for the beta.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if he stayed somewhere dry and rested he'd be able to make a full recovery, but I don't think that was an option for him unless he wanted to abandon the rest of the gang to Dutch and Micah's madness

Having stayed far away from any previews and write-ups before playing the game I thought that line from the doctor was foreshadowing what would eventually open up the southern part of the map. Oh, okay: Arthur will scrape up enough money to gently caress off to not-Mexico for a bit then come back and...

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Sooo I kidnapped my friend from his camp.
I started playing Online today and wanted to surprise him. I joined him through PSN & spawned at his camp, but it seemed like he was afk. I got bored waiting for him to come back. So naturally I used my horse to push him out of the camp boundaries, hogtied him, strapped him in, and traveled across the map to dump him on the peak of Mount Shann. Took souvenir photos with the ol vegetable across 4 states. Sadly he came back and broke free.
He explained that his PS4 was asleep, he ran out of PS Plus two days ago, he coincidentally decided to renew it & launched the game to find himself hogtied about to be thrown off a mountain.

Aka you can steal people from their camp if they haven't closed the game. This is fun, which means it'll be fixed soon

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
drat, just did Horseman 9 where you have to ride from Van Horn to Blackwater in like 15 minutes without touching water. Pretty intense once you're in Blackwater and bounty hunters swarm you. Got a brief glimpse of Tall Trees through the hail of bullets

The rewards you get for all the exotics collecting are hilarious and awesome

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 2, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Hootington posted:

i am glad to see and hear that RDRO is as big of a microtransactions, grindy, buggy hellworld I thought it would be.

Lmao if you bought the game for this specifically.

Its very grindy but its also possible to have a poo poo ton of fun playing co-op with your friends if you go about it right, just like GTAO.

Lol at everybody complaining surprised that its exactly like GTAO. Of course. This is what R* does. But lots of people are knee-jerk overreacting.
I've made several hundred dollars in a couple days, and I have cooked so much meat I never need to buy any supplies. Its gonna take a long time to grind out all the weapons and clothing and upgrades, but like... that is the point.

Game's been out for a couple days and I already have a fast horse and a couple guns, not really that ridiculous like most are making it out to be. The real issues are more in balance and how the game seems designed to favor griefers.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have all the guns I want in RDO and hundreds to spare, gonna hang it up until they do more with it I think.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If people want money the treasure map rewards are pretty big pay outs. Like 80-120 plus provisions or tonics.

You can get them from leaders in gang hideouts

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Finished the main game: Arthur was great, could understand why he stayed even if it was frustrating. From what the doctor said, would it have been possible for him to recover if he got to take it easy somewhere dry?

Anyway, was good how it involved you in the redemptive choices in chapter 6. Now to find out what would have happened if I went with John, seems like he was going away from all the interesting stuff.

And I'm just at the point in the epilogue where I think I get it. Abigail is tidily out of the way but John is doing his thing to buy the farm.

TB was not a 100% death sentence and people did survive it. Arthur being an outlaw prevented him from seeking out a sanitorium or whatever. The "dry air" stuff was pretty much meaningless since TB is a progressive bacterial infection. It was a common part of treatment at the time though, they put sanitoriums in the mountains in Europe for that reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestonJew posted:

Nah you're loving dead. The dry air makes it better and you live longer but it won't go away. Pretty sure hospital "sanitoriums" sometimes saved like 1:10 people using whatever witch craft they had at the time. Others were just places to keep you quarantined and no one survived.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TulliusCicero posted:

If people want money the treasure map rewards are pretty big pay outs. Like 80-120 plus provisions or tonics.

You can get them from leaders in gang hideouts

I've been shooting gang leaders like a moron

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The rando I was with lost his horse during a mission and he was able to hop on my horse so we could shoot all the gunmen attacking a carriage together on our one magic horse. :3:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

TB was pretty much a death sentence. Treatments were expensive and could prolong your life, but surviving TB was extremely rare. That said, warm and dry environments were not as conducive to the bacteria as wet and colder environments, so if he had gone to New Austin he would have lived longer.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

TulliusCicero posted:

So there actually is crafting. I found it by accident. You can build a bunch of the crazy stuff from pamphlets. You buy the pamphlets from fences. A lot of it is still there.

...but it is rank locked :negative:

I meant more like crafting stuff with animal pelts. Clothing, satchels, camp decorations, stuff like that.

Speaking of satchels is there any way to improve your satchel in online?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Why does hunting suddenly cause huge honor hits for me? I went from maximum honor to around 75% from shooting two ducks.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
The online satchels already seem to have huge capacities, you can hold 10 of each provision, 10 of each herb, 10 of each meat (20 for venison) etc. It's not Legend of the East satchel, but you can carry a lot of stuff by default.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been shooting gang leaders like a moron

Wait poo poo they will give you a treasure map if you take them alive?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Why does hunting suddenly cause huge honor hits for me? I went from maximum honor to around 75% from shooting two ducks.

Maybe they were farm ducks? You get honor hits for killing farm animals.

Nechronic posted:

Wait poo poo they will give you a treasure map if you take them alive?

I only ever had that happen from that first gang camp you take out as part of the story. Every other time I spared them they say thanks and go away and you get bonus honor.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 2, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Republicans posted:

Maybe they were farm ducks? You get honor hits for killing farm animals.

I don't think so, they were mallards out in the middle of nowhere. Whatever is affecting this also seems to have made it so I don't lose honor for shooting people, so I guess I'll take it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are there any ways to get oxen without losing honor? Far as I know they are all domesticated and the trapper wants at least 2.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Down near Braithwaites manor there are two that roam the fields that have never given me an honor hit.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh man there are good and fun things about this game. I just spent five minutes having a 4-way battle over someone’s mail delivery quest and I ended up winning and I got an achievement.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Found out today that Opossums actually "play possum".

I shot at one, didn't get the kill marker crosshairs, but it was marked as a dead animal on the map. Went up to it to skin it (you even get the prompt to do so), but then it just got up and tried to scurry away.

This loving game ...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

TheAnomaly posted:

TB was pretty much a death sentence. Treatments were expensive and could prolong your life, but surviving TB was extremely rare. That said, warm and dry environments were not as conducive to the bacteria as wet and colder environments, so if he had gone to New Austin he would have lived longer.

Just to add to the endgame discussion TB is still a deadly infection today, in third world countries and if you get a bacteria resistant strain, and it’s not something most people get better from on their own once they start suffering symptoms.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are there any ways to get oxen without losing honor? Far as I know they are all domesticated and the trapper wants at least 2.

For basically any farm animal I would just open the door to their pen, wait until everyone ran out and herd the 3 star animals far enough away from town that I didn't get an honor hit or anyone witnessing my animal cruelty. Every now and then a guy is walking his ox by the dry riverbed at Emerald Ranch. Some areas have animals like goats and pigs out in the open, like Lagras or Butcher Creek.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also in the epilogue there is an operating bad guy ranch where you can kill all the dudes and then grab whatever you need.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Republicans posted:

I only ever had that happen from that first gang camp you take out as part of the story. Every other time I spared them they say thanks and go away and you get bonus honor.

Yeah that's what I thought. I got a 2nd treasure map but it was for hitting level 10. I imagine R* is gonna be stingy with those treasure maps since they are a huge chunk of cash.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I usually *gain* honor from hunting, for being "resourceful", so you're doing something wrong.

If you shoot animals someone else owns, like cattle or chickens, it counts as "slaughter" and you lose honor. Maybe those ducks were someone's pet?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. I got a 2nd treasure map but it was for hitting level 10. I imagine R* is gonna be stingy with those treasure maps since they are a huge chunk of cash.

I thought Rockstar said you get a map every 5 levels.

And just hunt farm animals and then say hi to everyone to gain your honor back? :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you kill a lot of animals in rapid succession you start losing honor for it. sorry i know a guy who needs like 50 feathers!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If you don't kill an animal clean and let it bleed out, instead of finishing it you can lose honor. I didn't make it to a buck in time to kill it once, and it bled out. I took an honor ding and felt bad :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

If you don't kill an animal clean and let it bleed out, instead of finishing it you can lose honor. I didn't make it to a buck in time to kill it once, and it bled out. I took an honor ding and felt bad :(

the hunting is so grisly in this one. I got used to the skinning animation after a while but I still hate the crying animals.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

lets hang out posted:

if you kill a lot of animals in rapid succession you start losing honor for it. sorry i know a guy who needs like 50 feathers!

Oh, I bet that this was it then. I shot enough deer to collect 72 pieces of venison before I suddenly started losing honor from the ducks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seeing Arthur/the gang start to really question Dutch is hilarious. maybe if R* had given me more options than literally murdering thousands of innocents for money over the course of the game, I could sympathize more with their disgust at him killing a mobster that framed him and an old lady that was literally stabbing him with a knife at the time. That part with the old lady was so loving weird. She starts straight up stabbing Dutch and Arthur is just like "You don't know if she was gonna betray us Dutch, I'm really disappointed in you bro" :wtf:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

shut up blegum posted:

I thought Rockstar said you get a map every 5 levels.

And just hunt farm animals and then say hi to everyone to gain your honor back? :shrug:

I have only received a map at level ten, and I'm up to fifteen, so I don't think it's every five for sure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Seeing Arthur/the gang start to really question Dutch is hilarious. maybe if R* had given me more options than literally murdering thousands of innocents for money over the course of the game, I could sympathize more with their disgust at him killing a mobster that framed him and an old lady that was literally stabbing him with a knife at the time. That part with the old lady was so loving weird. She starts straight up stabbing Dutch and Arthur is just like "You don't know if she was gonna betray us Dutch, I'm really disappointed in you bro" :wtf:

she wasn't stabbing him, what the hell were you watching

she asked for more money and dutch was all "i got your money right here" and choked her out in front of arthur

and then justified it by briefly pretending to know spanish before shouting "I SAW THE WICKED GLINT OF BETRAYAL IN HER EYES, OKAY"

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Oxxidation posted:

she wasn't stabbing him, what the hell were you watching

she asked for more money and dutch was all "i got your money right here" and choked her out in front of arthur

and then justified it by briefly pretending to know spanish before shouting "I SAW THE WICKED GLINT OF BETRAYAL IN HER EYES, OKAY"

Yeah. That's what I saw too. I was getting super confused!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

lets hang out posted:

Yeah, I needed a bunch of feathers so I thought I'd stand near a big flock, shoot them all down while they were still in a tight formation, and then go round up their bodies afterwards, but I started getting honor nicks pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i think i got raped in the swamp