Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Flesh Forge posted:

I prefer just that, without the garden mod or RimCuisine. Imo it's kind of either/or.

fair enough! think i prefer RimCuisine so I'll keep that (and add Growable Grass so i can, uh, grow grass).

EDIT: here's some content for the new page. started a new game yesterday and this is what i was treated to on my first day:

rainforests are a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I love tropical rainforests except for that one, tiny detail. One dry thunderstorm will destroy everything.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I installed the Infused mod and my new colony is out of whack because one of my starting colonists dropped in with some kind of mega-infused clothing with like 10 keywords that bumped the value by around 100k. Raiders are showing up in big packs with fancy guns and I'm still trying to get basic infrastructure set up. Some colonists now have high expectations because of the colony wealth score. :downs:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm super hesitant to mod this game, although I could see some QoL mods in the near future. Modding kinda ruined KSP for me and keeping up the the mod revisions was a nightmare that I don't want to repeat.

For what it is worth, Tynan and the modding community have done a lot to make modding Rimworld easier than putting a cartridge in an old Nintendo. Between Tynan's support for XML patching, and the Harmony patch library for C# assemblies, compatibility is almost a non-existent problem. With 1.0 out, you can also expect longer periods between major releases, and (probably) fewer code breaking changes. In short, modding Rimworld is nothing like modding KSP. Go hog wild.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Flesh Forge posted:

I prefer just that, without the garden mod or RimCuisine. Imo it's kind of either/or.

Wild cultivation is pretty much the expanded vanilla prosthetics to Rimquisine and Vegetable Garden's EPOE/RBSE.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How long did your game take to start up?

I am running Rimworld on my relatively new, not gaming specced laptop and with 150 mods the game takes roughly 10 minutes to start up.

The machine I was running it on had 32 gigs of ram, and rimworld was installed to an ssd. I had part of my ram set up as a ramdisc that loaded all of Rimworld and it's mods directly into itself with the process running a few minutes after boot.

I'd play something like starsector for a few minutes, and then I'd run rimworld, have it open instantly, and gently caress with my mods, having the open->gently caress around->restart game loop take literally seconds as everything would get written to ram instead of ssd.

When finished, id end the software and the ramdisc contents get written back to the ssd(like save data and the like).

If you have the ram and can afford the time to research and find some similar software, it can be really rewarding to set up something like that.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Then your major gate is your processor, but I invested way too much money in a 2011 socket cpu back in 2012 that is not getting replaced for a good long time yet.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Here's a thing - who'd be interested if I made a spreadsheet with all the stats for everything laid out, like all the animal leathers and what stats they have, weapons etc, stuff like that? Vanilla initially, but I can add mods later

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Here's a thing - who'd be interested if I made a spreadsheet with all the stats for everything laid out, like all the animal leathers and what stats they have, weapons etc, stuff like that? Vanilla initially, but I can add mods later

Doesn’t the wiki have that already?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How am I supposed to set up my defense in a plain? 4 identical chokepoints with a big rear end wall? A big rear end wall with only one opening?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

jokes posted:

How am I supposed to set up my defense in a plain? 4 identical chokepoints with a big rear end wall? A big rear end wall with only one opening?

Big wall would have drop pod assaults, or sappers, or mortars making it completely useless.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Build wall around base

Build wall around wall

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Make a TD labyrinth with spring traps if you have enough wood as the only opening out of your base and you should be fine early game.

Alternatively, just wall your wall walling the wall that walls your base.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Build the Wall, and Make the Raiders Pay for it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just build a fortress wall and put doors in it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you don't wall up your crops, rear end in a top hat animals will come and eat all of them. This includes trees, with thrumbos.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gloomy Furniture has some nice fences and miscellaneous items like buckets and barrels if you like decor.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Heartcatch posted:

Gloomy Furniture has some nice fences and miscellaneous items like buckets and barrels if you like decor.

i love gloomy furniture, the only two problems is it's all wooden/synthylene, no stone/metal, and it's not tied to any research so you have full access to it as tribals. still, if you have self control or don't care, they're loving fantastic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TIL, Boomalope milk is chemfuel.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One of my colonists got her brain scrambled by a stray machine gun round in a raid, leaving her with permanently lowered consciousness. She also stopped being able to do normal recreational activities like chess, poker, etc. The only way to boost her recreation/mood seems to be drugs, but I have to watch out because like one smokeleaf reefer renders her completely unconscious.

Now she walks around buzzed on a daily regime of psychite tea but it doesn't stop her from being the best miner in the colony.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can set up a special drug policy for specific colonists. It's useful if you want to start using luciferium for your best producers or your cybersoldiers.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

moot the hopple posted:

One of my colonists got her brain scrambled by a stray machine gun round in a raid, leaving her with permanently lowered consciousness. She also stopped being able to do normal recreational activities like chess, poker, etc. The only way to boost her recreation/mood seems to be drugs, but I have to watch out because like one smokeleaf reefer renders her completely unconscious.

Now she walks around buzzed on a daily regime of psychite tea but it doesn't stop her from being the best miner in the colony.

If I ate a bullet i'd wanna be baked 24/7 too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

moot the hopple posted:

Do colonists need a certain level of consciousness to do recreation activities? It makes sense but I've never seen it before in any of my games. I've got a droid who puts off recreation until he's at -20 even if he's scheduled for it, but I think it's because I have him far out mining out the power plant.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I did some testing like setting her schedule to only recreation for all 24 hours and putting in chessboard in her room but she doesn't seem to want to use it.

I just installed the expanded surgery mod and happen to have a spare AI core so it looks like I have a good candidate for some brain surgery at least.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
This week in Rimworld: I founded a cult to Bastet the Goddess of Cats. Every so often a black cat wanders into the area, I tame it, and then sacrifice a human captive to our whimsical Goddess to transmute the cat into a Guardian, a fully-trained super-panther.

I've now begun replacing my Guardian's limbs and jaws with animal bionics to make them even buffer. One of them apparently got hungry while out for a wander and solo'd a Megasloth

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Do the Shub invoke that buffs animals it's bananas

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I "beat" (shipped out) all my colonists on my first real colony after like 25hrs. Great game and kinda excited about remaking things for round 2. The difficulty of the game skyrocketed after starting the ship's reactor - I don't know how you handle that poo poo on the harder difficulties.

A siege party landed in a really difficult spot for me to get to in time and was able to bullseye 1/2 of my mortars and my chemfuel supply in 3 shots. Just then, 2 of my best shooters got into a fistfight, went to sickbay, then almost got aced by another deadeye mortar. All with like 10hrs left on the startup clock.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Heartcatch posted:

I love tropical rainforests except for that one, tiny detail. One dry thunderstorm will destroy everything.

Pave your perimeter with 1-wide concrete strips circling all non-walled thoroughfares, bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt, you have a functioning firebreak :eng101:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tias posted:

Pave your perimeter with 1-wide concrete strips circling all non-walled thoroughfares, bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt, you have a functioning firebreak :eng101:

Fires can jump up to three spaces, though?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Fires can jump up to three spaces, though?

But it's less likely and your colonists can easily put out the stuff that makes it over.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So Pro-tip; if you haven't been deleting old versions of saves you should do that. I just deleted all my old saves and freed up 20 gigs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm unclear on why you wouldn't just use a stone wall as a perimeter firebreak. you need a stone wall anyway.

unless you're talking about something internal, in which case yeah sure, not sure what perimeter you're referring to though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i'm unclear on why you wouldn't just use a stone wall as a perimeter firebreak. you need a stone wall anyway.

unless you're talking about something internal, in which case yeah sure, not sure what perimeter you're referring to though

If you're internal, I don't know what kinds of fires you're fighting that are large enough to need a jumbo firebreak. If you're external, why are you making flammable walls?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fairly sure fire can spread over walls.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Put a 2 square roof overhang on your base walls to kill plants from growing and you shouldn't really have to worry about fires running into your base.

I even throw random single wood wall blocks up with 2 square roofs in each direction for power lines running out to remote geothermal power plants and that seems to solve that problem for those lines needing constant repair from wildfire as well as cutting down on how much of the map those fires take down. Minimal resources (using the wood from trees you cut down for the lines to make the random wall blocks), minimal labor since roofs go up fast.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tbh you should be putting down concrete floors between everything so your guys will move around at 100% speed. Also as a fire thing leave a space between all buildings/objects and fires will have a really hard time taking off. If you're doing a low pop start that stuff is extra important

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Fairly sure fire can spread over walls.

Since when? I've never had a wildfire jump a non-flammable wall.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

tbh you should be putting down concrete floors between everything so your guys will move around at 100% speed. Also as a fire thing leave a space between all buildings/objects and fires will have a really hard time taking off. If you're doing a low pop start that stuff is extra important

I didn't put this in my original comment, but yes this should be a thing after you've walled off your base. The only things that shouldn't be loving paved like a Wal-mart parking lot are your growing areas.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Now I'm tempted to try an all-wood run that lasts half an hour.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's the mod that lets you make wooden bionics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Since when? I've never had a wildfire jump a non-flammable wall.

tbh I practically never have this scenario because I mostly play in biomes that are pretty barren but I have a current colony going in a nice cold bog with lots of vegetation so let me get back to you on that :shrug: