Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopOnaShoe
Apr 14, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

everyone who pays real money for virtual goods needs mental health care

lol real money is a virtual good :bitcoin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hungry posted:

The biggest example of this and the one which disgusts me to this day is the way you can't outflank aliens or use the map in a logical, tactical fashion

get gud

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MizPiz posted:

You should at least have access to the Paris missions

its not

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The psychological aspect of it isn't restricted to video games. People put unhealthily personal investments into fashion, home decor, and all sorts of other stuff.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you; that earlier post was to point out that it's odd to try and categorize spending money on "virtual items" as a unique kind of insanity when people buy all kinds of dumb poo poo for the same brokebrain reasons (but with different fluff text) and try to convince themselves their preferred flavor of koolaid is the only valid choice.

PoopOnaShoe posted:

lol real money is a virtual good :bitcoin:

value is an abstract idea, and an artificial one based on arbitrary logic at that.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

XP-50 in War Thunder is the best internet gold I've ever spent.

too bad it's the grindiest piece of poo poo game around

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The game was incredibly easy.

Unrevealed aliens pose zero danger because they don't act. So, any good strategy will incorporate this by minimizing unit moves into unrevealed terrain until all currently visible aliens have been defeated. For the purposes of any particular firefight, the unrevealed aliens just don't exist yet. The player knows that nothing is going to come unexpectedly out of an unobserved part of the map.

I don't have the technical video game design vocabulary to describe this other than to say it's loving bullshit. It almost single-handedly ruined my enjoyment of the game because it meant I was playing against a now-visible series of artificial mechanics rather than the illusion of organic behavior.

This feels like something a lot of games struggle with. Affect is often lost as soon as mechanics become visible, unless those mechanics are very carefully designed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i think it's more of a presentation issue, having the AI play by different rules is fine, but some people really don't like how those cheating fucks just scurry into cover the second you see them. bastards!

which is fine if you just have the player on board with the enemy playing by different rules, but XCOM at no point sells this difference to the player, gives some kind of verisimilitude-based reason for how it could work the way it does. which really galls the players who are not on board with the fact that the game actually has vastly different rules for the player vs the AI, even though it pretends it doesn't.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

as a side note i love XCOM EU/EW but can't stand XCOM2 and some day i'm gonna play the latter enough to figure out why the sequel rubs me the wrong way so intensely.

the flubbed art direction doesn't help things.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hungry posted:

Unrevealed aliens pose zero danger because they don't act. So, any good strategy will incorporate this by minimizing unit moves into unrevealed terrain until all currently visible aliens have been defeated. For the purposes of any particular firefight, the unrevealed aliens just don't exist yet. The player knows that nothing is going to come unexpectedly out of an unobserved part of the map.

I don't have the technical video game design vocabulary to describe this other than to say it's loving bullshit. It almost single-handedly ruined my enjoyment of the game because it meant I was playing against a now-visible series of artificial mechanics rather than the illusion of organic behavior.

This feels like something a lot of games struggle with. Affect is often lost as soon as mechanics become visible, unless those mechanics are very carefully designed.

yeah, it's dumb that metagaming like this is the only valuable strategy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hell same

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I dont mind the scurry to cover because its basically just saving ai dev budget on pretending they were in cover the whole time rather than having every alien always be combat ready. Xcom does kinda degenerate into action denial uber alles (the same as pretty much any game where you're not explicitly trying to stop it)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hungry posted:

I'd kill for a game which captures the feeling and tone of the original X-Com but isn't glacially slow like Xenonauts or dumb like the X-Com remake.

i think xenonauts might be what youre looking for. i see it on steam from time to time and all the reviews say its basically a remake of the original x-com but with more base building and set in the 80's

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223830/Xenonauts/

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Suikoden 2 is great because the biggest, baddest, mass-murdering sonofabitch in the whole series built up to be the main antagonist was anticlimactically killed 2/3s of the way through the story.

that boss fight owned and the trap they set for him was simple and cool. for the guy playing this for the first time, just a tip: switch out characters from time to time because you will want a more rounded roster for this fight.

also if you luck out and get that stupid squirrel keep hanging around in the area he has 5 friends who join up. they don't count toward the 108 stars

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hungry posted:

maybe it's an XCOM:EU or unmodded thing but I definitely had pods come strolling along into an existing firefight and suddenly make things complicated. flanking's pretty easy with concealment too

but lmao at any mention of verisimilitude

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

xcom 2 gives good jihad.

killing all the collaborating civilians on a map with high explosives is the optimal strategy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Handed Missus posted:

too bad it's the grindiest piece of poo poo game around

Luckily low tier, like 1-3 I'd say, is where all the fun of the game is. In arcade at least.

owning people in italian shitheaps in tier 1/2 or w/e might be the most fun I've ever had in warthunder lol

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Dec 2, 2018

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Uncle Wemus posted:

Mass effect 3 and dragon age 2 soured me so bad on bioware. I managed to beat inquisition but hated every character and didnt enjoy anything. Didnt even bother with andromeda.
they havent made anything as good as BG2. inquisition was loving awful the gameplay is paper thin and 90% of the content is just running around in WoW-zones with pointless fetch quests and no dialogue or plot. their only good game since shadows of amn was DA:O. Shadows of amn is maybe the best game ever made so whatever i guess

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lt. Danger posted:

maybe it's an XCOM:EU or unmodded thing but I definitely had pods come strolling along into an existing firefight and suddenly make things complicated. flanking's pretty easy with concealment too

You're correct in that EU and XCOM2 both have unseen aliens patrolling and occasionally blundering into the middle of a firefight. That movement is what the "I hear something moving!!" sound-wave indicators show, giving a rough direction of where the aliens are from the nearest soldier.

The most bullshit AI-cheating is actually a corner-case of interaction between bugs, where an enemy can see you but you can't see them (normally line-of-sight is always supposed to be reciprocal between any two given non-invisible units), due to some other stupid glitch that spawns them inside a rock or under the map, so their AI is already 'active' before you see them and the game has no idea where to put them until the patrol script decides it's time to move. So what the player sees is a patrol group that just pops up out of nowhere during the alien turn, plays a glitchy dash-to-cover animation which often involves teleporting halfway across the map and/or getting stuck running in mid-air before snapping to cover; then all 3 new enemies immediately take a free turn where they can move to flank+shoot your soldiers. Supposedly it was fixed in EW but I've seen it happen even with XCOM2+expansion.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

pods can patrol around before you trigger them, but they use a completely different logic compared to the normal rules, and can easily hoof it halfway across the map in one turn. i think they teleport too, rather than moving over all tiles inbetween.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Putting aside the quest bloat and simplified combat, Inquisition has a solid cast and plot and the areas were beautifully crafted. It kicks 2’s butt and has a better story than Origins. I don’t get the hate.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
nothing's more akward than sending your ranger to cut down some fool, only for him to get sight on like 3 pods.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

snoremac posted:

Putting aside the quest bloat and simplified combat, Inquisition has a solid cast and plot and the areas were beautifully crafted. It kicks 2’s butt and has a better story than Origins. I don’t get the hate.

Well being better than Dragon Age 2 was a pretty low bar in all fairness, what a trainwreck DA2 was....

Inquisition makes up for weaknesses such as being able to sucker punch the smug elf party member or visit French MILF land.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

Well as you say, aside from the terrible combat and questing it's a perfectly okay RPG

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

Well being better than Dragon Age 2 was a pretty low bar in all fairness, what a trainwreck DA2 was....

Inquisition makes up for weaknesses such as being able to sucker punch the smug elf party member or visit French MILF land.

Tell me more about French milf land

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Tell me more about French milf land

The game has knock-off france and in one of the main quests you have to bang MILFs to win support for the inquisition.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i could not for the life of me get into DA:I and I loved DA:O and even liked 2.

the environments and graphics and poo poo were great, but the combat just felt broken, there was no orderly flow to everything, it felt like chaos and i hardly felt like i had control of it.

that's what i liked so much about DAO and 2, pause, survey the landscape, decide how i wanna combo off, etc.

i'm sure i'll try DA:I again and get frustrated around the same point again

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ShriekingMarxist posted:

i could not for the life of me get into DA:I and I loved DA:O and even liked 2.

the environments and graphics and poo poo were great, but the combat just felt broken, there was no orderly flow to everything, it felt like chaos and i hardly felt like i had control of it.

that's what i liked so much about DAO and 2, pause, survey the landscape, decide how i wanna combo off, etc.

i'm sure i'll try DA:I again and get frustrated around the same point again

I'm not sure how many times you could survey exactly the same warehouse/cave in DA2

also for me DA2 was an absolute mess and 3 was fine

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cargo cult posted:

they havent made anything as good as BG2. inquisition was loving awful the gameplay is paper thin and 90% of the content is just running around in WoW-zones with pointless fetch quests and no dialogue or plot. their only good game since shadows of amn was DA:O. Shadows of amn is maybe the best game ever made so whatever i guess

mass effect 2 was genuinely good and also a complete fluke

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

snoremac posted:

the main villain shows up twice throughout the entire story, once when you fight him 20 hours in then again when you kill him 80 hours in, theres no side quest chains to speak of, theres a loving million collectibles that just existed as content padding. supposedly theres decent world building and dialogue but the game has no pacing to speak of since you can just go run around the WoW zones and do pointless completionist poo poo without ever advancing the plot. ill think of more terrible design choices soon.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the whole ME series is great wtf

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

pour one out

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ShriekingMarxist posted:

the whole ME series is great wtf

3 sucks rear end

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
oh yeah they hid the real ending of the game in DLC which i refused to play after the total slog the main game was. if you think about BG2 like every plot development or encounter with irenicus or his flunkies like the vampires takes place in a unique environment with its own side stuff, like spellhold, the drow city and hell.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
how as BG2 enhanced anyway?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

3 sucks rear end

I liked it despite all the nerd whining about the ending even though you can tell the really ran out of time and money on the final few levels.

Also for the record Miranda was the best waifu

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

okay look, there were some unfortunate narrative choices, but the gameplay is rock solid, there's so many awesome combat bros moments with Garrus, Wrex, et al, and the last mission before the ending is fantastic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ShriekingMarxist posted:

okay look, there were some unfortunate narrative choices, but the gameplay is rock solid, there's so many awesome combat bros moments with Garrus, Wrex, et al, and the last mission before the ending is fantastic.

Also kill yourself if you don't help your Krogan Bros out and decided to side with Salarians to fake the cure.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

cargo cult posted:

oh yeah they hid the real ending of the game in DLC which i refused to play after the total slog the main game was. if you think about BG2 like every plot development or encounter with irenicus or his flunkies like the vampires takes place in a unique environment with its own side stuff, like spellhold, the drow city and hell.
The real ending excited me about the prospects for a 4th game which unfortunately we’ll never get.

I agree the main villain (Cyranthhhdus or whatever) did suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Also kill yourself if you don't help your Krogan Bros out and decided to side with Salarians to fake the cure.

:hai:

loving space nazi Salarians