Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

If you're not looking to get into the tournament scene for a fighting game, you probably shouldn't worry about what the pro players say. Imo this applies doubly to Smash, where you have to disable like 1/3 of the mechanics for tournament play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You also shouldn't listen to anyone whose words have to penetrate the soupy cloud of body odor that permeates all professional Smash players

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you're not looking to get into the tournament scene for a fighting game, you probably shouldn't worry about what the pro players say. Imo this applies doubly to Smash, where you have to disable like 1/3 of the mechanics for tournament play

Please please please please listen to this everyone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

This goes for a lot of multiplayer stuff. If you're not interested in playing competitively, there's no need to concern yourself with all the hubbub up there. Just play how you want.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

otoh it's not like not going to tournaments suddenly makes input reading CPUs less annoying to play against

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

This goes for a lot of multiplayer stuff. If you're not interested in playing competitively, there's no need to concern yourself with all the hubbub up there. Just play how you want.

b-but what if i'm playing wrong?? :ohdear:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you're not looking to get into the tournament scene for a fighting game, you probably shouldn't worry about what the pro players say.

Of course you can have fun without being optimal, just pointing out that the AI has things that make it undesirable as the "single player"component. If they had smash run in there, I'd probably have bought the game, but the game seems to mostly consist of classic style 1v1s, even world of light isn't that compelling outside of the trailer, consisting of themed 1v1s. As it is, it's just a lot of continuous effort where you have to get good to see the next level, which isn't something I want to do all the time.

I miss the old adventure side scrolling mode, something about side scrolling with a real fighting game is really fun, think tekken force. The weaker mobs make the parts with rival fights more impactful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

Of course you can have fun without being optimal, just pointing out that the AI has things that make it undesirable as the "single player"component. If they had smash run in there, I'd probably have bought the game, but the game seems to mostly consist of classic style 1v1s, even world of light isn't that compelling outside of the trailer, consisting of themed 1v1s. As it is, it's just a lot of continuous effort where you have to get good to see the next level, which isn't something I want to do all the time.
stfu nerd

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Gamecube fighting games had the best single player modes between SSB Melee and Soul Calibur 2.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

lol ‘professional smash brothers’

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm confused I thought it still had a side-scrolling adventure mode or whatever

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mak0rz posted:

I'm confused I thought it still had a side-scrolling adventure mode or whatever

World of Light has exactly one platforming section

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jivjov posted:

World of Light has exactly one platforming section

Wow that's kind of hosed up imo

I'll still play the poo poo out of it though

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

I think it's just fighting games are fun when you know the opponent isn't reading your inputs. Not to mention most "pros" recommend not playing against the Smash ai above level 4 because the ai will teach you bad habits.

I'm also not getting smash for awhile.

this is extra funny because at 4 or below the cpu just stands there like a punching bag

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Have the kirby lore masters talked about how close the final smash boss looks to the void thing?

Noticed the dark wing\shadows are the same shape as the bloody eye.

Your Computer posted:

this is extra funny because at 4 or below the cpu just stands there like a punching bag

Yeah that's the point. You're supposed to just work on launchers and stuff. Any more than that and the ai starts doing un player like things.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/nostoppingepoch/status/1068857341976723456

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah that's the point. You're supposed to just work on launchers and stuff. Any more than that and the ai starts doing un player like things.

I know, but at that point just tell people to stick to training mode y'know?

anyway don't listen to any of those people, smash cpu is fun

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Smash is more of a party game that unfortunately just attracted an overlap of the most rabid nintendo fans and the most disgusting fighting game players. Distill those two down to a thick smelly sludge and you have the smash community.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bushisms.txt posted:

I miss the old adventure side scrolling mode, something about side scrolling with a real fighting game is really fun, think tekken force. The weaker mobs make the parts with rival fights more impactful.

this is both severely overestimating the difficulty of the AI in Adventure Mode and severely underestimating the variety on display from the spirit battles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Smash is more of a party game

this is a completely meaningless statement fyi

the game is meant to be played in a lot of different ways.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 2, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

this is a completely meaningless statement fyi

Not really?

Party games have a rather easy definition.

It’s not like niche

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

smash is categorically not a fighting game because i can actually play and enjoy it QED

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really?

Party games have a rather easy definition.

It’s not like niche

okay, define party games for me in a manner that excludes Street Fighter but includes Wii Sports Boxing

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I don't see the difference between equipping spirits in SBU and equipping stickers in Brawl. Can someone explain?

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 3, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fun Times! posted:

I don't see the difference between equipping spirits in SBU and equipping stickers in the last game. Can someone explain?

Stickers weren't in the last game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

okay, define party games for me in a manner that excludes Street Fighter but includes Wii Sports Boxing

You can have fun playing boxing casual. It is impossible to do that with SF.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

smash is categorically not a fighting game because i can actually play and enjoy it QED

:hmmyes:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I played Street Fighter II casually when I was 8 and had fun.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

drat, i better go back in time and tell little kid me that i wasn't actually having fun playing sf2

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Smash is more of a party game that unfortunately just attracted an overlap of the most rabid nintendo fans and the most disgusting fighting game players. Distill those two down to a thick smelly sludge and you have the smash community.

Found the bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

drat, i better go back in time and tell little kid me that i wasn't actually having fun playing sf2

I mean why ruin it for you.

Sometimes the lie is better.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

Party games are fun to play.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Stickers weren't in the last game.

Sorry I'm out of the loop. But what's the difference? Not trying to be a dick just genuinely confused.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

Sorry I'm out of the loop. But what's the difference? Not trying to be a dick just genuinely confused.

they're basically stickers except not useless and with mechanics to level them up and upgrade them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s really cool that Sakurai is such a great developer that he tricked people who hate fighting games into playing and enjoying a fighting game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

You press the button to punch the dude

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Augus posted:

It’s really cool that Sakurai is such a great developer that he tricked people who hate fighting games into playing and enjoying a fighting game.

Smash is definitely not a fighting game. I don’t particularly like Smash but it’s fans have to contort it into some insane knots to get it to sort of look like one.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Augus posted:

this is both severely overestimating the difficulty of the AI in Adventure Mode and severely underestimating the variety on display from the spirit battles.

How did you read all that and think what I want is difficulty? I want the mechanical variety, not just mutators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Heath posted:

I mean, if you find two people who flail around on the controller/fight stick they can still have fun and may even accidentally discover stuff like footsies on their own. The big problem with these games has always been reliably getting those two people together in the same room or lobby.