Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ewe2 posted:

You underestimate what a massive hypocrite the guy is. If he'd been offered a seriously big ambassadorship, he would have taken it, hell, it was the first thing he offered Turnbull.

Maybe. I just don't get that impression from his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What I don't get is why places like Sky or 2GB think Craig Kelly is "popular" - is it a bubble thing or is it simply that an MD somewhere in the organisation loves all the batshit things he says?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Wait did I miss typos?

I wouldn't usually bother but since I was busting your IK balls:

Anidav posted:

As we head into the final quarter of this weird-rear end Government, the state of play is showing a swing that could make the historybooks.

The man who is taking advatage of this national attitude is Bill Shorten. An opposition leader who has grown up from a checks notes nobody to a copy Corbyn's notes nobody.

A tired but lucky Coalition Governemnt has been in for 2 terms and has switched Prime Minister twice, unlike Labor - to a different person each time.

That person is only Prime Minister because they didn't teach math at the Queensland Police Acadamy.

Scott Morrison is a weather vain, his opinions go where the wind go. From opposing a Banking Royal Commision to supporting it, to opposing a National Integrity Commisions to opposing it.

Currently this government has no policy on Climate change or Energy and indeed involves a cabinet of econmic vandels, coal lobbiests in waiting and Failed leadership spillers.

Much like John Howard before him this goverment is leaning heavily on national security and the political climate has become so toxic around this issue the end result is a super ministry, both major parties supporting the indefinite detention of maritime arrival refugees and indeed over exagerated narratives on criminal gangs and african backgrounds. The end result is a government attempting to summon nationalistic furor upon an apathetic and lazy voting populace. Meanwhile it is consumed by factional infighting, branch level civil wars and policy shifts to attempt to win crucial by-elections unsuccessfully such as moving the Israli Embassy to Jeurusaleum.

How this ends is predicatable. How it started is deplorable. How the government is currently is beyond parody and we are all here to laugh at it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Can we really trust an Auspol IK who can't spell "government" :thunk:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What I don't get is why places like Sky or 2GB think Craig Kelly is "popular" - is it a bubble thing or is it simply that an MD somewhere in the organisation loves all the batshit things he says?

He has powerful friends. This is the kind of PR you get when you're in the gentlemen's club. Other MPs get their preselections threatened during leadership spills.

Sky and 2gb are part of the machinery

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

He's just using the proof-readers they employ over at news corp

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The OP is good, I support Anidav.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wow this is pretty elitist

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Wow this is pretty elitist

well duh not every pleb can be idiot king

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Former Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce has dome harsh words [sic. fairfax shouldn't have fired their subeditors] for Malcolm Turnbull.

"It's really disappointing what Malcolm Turnbull's done. He's destroying his own legacy by his own hands," he told Seven.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Those look like the 'spelling mistakes' of someone who has fat fingers and :justpost:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Amethyst posted:

Former Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce has dome harsh words [sic. fairfax shouldn't have fired their subeditors] for Malcolm Turnbull.

"It's really disappointing what Malcolm Turnbull's done. He's destroying his own legacy by his own hands," he told Seven.

As if Mr. "gets his mistress pregnant breaking the sanctity of marriage while deputy PM" knows all about legacy

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Real talk Kelly could end the Liberals if he did just what Turnbull says he ought.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Turnbull seems to think he can purge the party of conservatives from the outside.

Is he correct? Any posters want to back a side in this war?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

To me it's a bit like why Dutton / Tones / (name your piece of poo poo right winger) bother to post poo poo on twitter. Sure, the comment thread on twitter is generally super abusive and/or completely dismantles the argument with 2 seconds of fact checking, but they don't give a poo poo. Nobody that they're actually talking to is on twitter or will read any of the rebuttals and maybe reconsider their position.

It's simply a quote on "the ministers official Twitter account" that news corp can just recycle verbatim into their articles to make it Sound Important And Official

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Barnaby and friends are jelly that Turnbull is so much better at this game of thrones crap. Bolt is absolutely miserable crying about him every day. He’s so sour he’s bringing up that Turnbull’s mum abandoned him as some kind of own. I love it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

Turnbull seems to think he can purge the party of conservatives from the outside.

Is he correct? Any posters want to back a side in this war?

He can create enough discord that the party will have to come to a conclusion and it's pretty clear that the moderates are slightly more in touch and clever than the cons. I wouldn't be surprised if he got an outcome that kills off enough of them to call it a win for Turnbull.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

snoremac posted:

Barnaby and friends are jelly that Turnbull is so much better at this game of thrones crap. Bolt is absolutely miserable crying about him every day. He’s so sour he’s bringing up that Turnbull’s mum abandoned him as some kind of own. I love it.

Unlike Tony Abbott, who desperately needs to stay in politics for a job- Malcolm could have dropped out any time, he's a rich banker. So now he can sit on the sidelines, count his money, and snipe away to his heart's content.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think all the talk about Turnbull being spineless and empty has gotten to him. He wants to show the world he has an ideological agenda after all. That, and vengeance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vengeance is a great motivator after half-arsing a position and losing because of it. He tried to realpolitik and deal with a bunch of crazies and learned the only answer is to gently caress them up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

quote:

Pinchy the Lobster is looking for a new home.

After a short but highly publicised career, Pinchy is retiring from politics to spend more time with his underwater family.

This magnificent crustacean has travelled all around Victoria, greeting Liberal politicians wherever he went. Once we blew him up, he never let us down.

Pinchy is approximately 4.5 metres tall when fully inflated, and comes with Guy ropes and a sturdy carry bag. Although he has been an uninvited guest at many Liberal Party functions and made frequent media appearances, his state is nothing to be crabby about - he has been well looked after and is in very good used condition. He will need a generator to keep himself pumped up and ready for duty in his next career.

A hardworking and reliable campaigner until the very end, Pinchy will be deeply missed by staff and volunteers of Victorian Trades Hall Council.

Don't miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to score a unique artefact of Victorian political history, by purchasing this sea-grade celebrity for yourself.

Pick up only.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gigantic-4-5-metre-tall-inflatable-lobster/382648850147?hash=item5917a616e3:g:-AAAAOSwqiJb~gl1:rk:15:pf:0

Current Bid: AU $1,025.00

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/craig-kelly-s-expletive-laden-rant-exposes-depth-of-liberal-party-tensions-20181202-p50jra.html

quote:

Craig Kelly walked into the Engadine Gymnastics Club on Sunday night a man under pressure.

The embattled Liberal Party backbencher spotted a group of local politicians who had also been invited to hand out awards to excited children. The group included Lee Evans, a Liberal member of the NSW Parliament, and Carmelo Pesce, the Liberal mayor of the Sutherland Shire Council.

Kelly put out his hand to greet the mayor. Pesce put his hand behind his back.

"You're a f---ing prick!" Kelly shouted at Pesce. "Are you f---ing kidding me? You're not going to f---ing shake my hand?"

Pesce refused to speak but Kelly - who had spent much of Sunday trying to save his career - didn't take the hint: "What? Do you mean you're not going to f---ing shake my hand."

Pesce relented and told Kelly he could not stomach the thought of shaking his hand.

"You're a disgrace for what you're doing to the party," Pesce told Kelly.

"You're the disgrace," Kelly shot back. Gymnastics coach Graham Spooner intervened and told the men to cool it. So did Evans.

Good poo poo. Party is dead

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

haha yesyesyes

JBP posted:

Vengeance is a great motivator after half-arsing a position and losing because of it. He tried to realpolitik and deal with a bunch of crazies and learned the only answer is to gently caress them up.

It really says something about the culture of the LNP that Turnbull appears to have more influence as a destructive external force than he did as a leader.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

so long as Anidav can spell 'transportation' I think they're a good'un

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

TYPICAL LABOR LIBERAL CHAOS

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

never fear, craig kelly's got preselection - all is right again with the broad church party

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

From The Guardian Live Feed

quote:

Craig Kelly to be saved
It’s been reported in The Australian and Fairfax, and it is what we were told is one of the options – the state executive members who could have upset the peace deal to ensure Craig Kelly (and every other sitting NSW MP) will abstain.

So, Kelly is saved.
This could backfire again if Kelly's electorate votes against him

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
"We are the party of Freedom and Liberty- HEY NO, YOU WILL GET THE LOCAL MEMBER YOU DESERVE. BE SURE TO VOTE 1 LIBERAL. STRONG AND STABLE"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

never fear, craig kelly's got preselection - all is right again with the broad church party

They went ahead and cancelled preselections. Pathetic.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahah Labor trying to suspend standing orders again right now. This week is going to be hilarious.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Need to stop making the mistake of assuming that Sky and 2GB are acting in good faith. They don't think Kelly or Abbott or any of the others are popular with the electorate, they only care that they're supporting of the agenda, and may be popular with their readers/listeners.

As far as they are concerned, Craig Kelly is the tip of the spear in a culture war of their own making. Check out some of the post-election analysis by some of the horrible News pundits like Dogfucker or Devine if you need any more convincing. They don't care about diminishing support from the community, dropping subscription numbers or a rapidly aging readership - the only thing that matters is the crusade against LGBTIQA+ rights, immigration, rights and fair pay for workers and whatever else the hard right message on.

Edit: He will most certainly lose the seat; He's too far right for most, and for the rest, the fact that he bullied his way into preselection will do him in. He's this generation's Sophie Mirrabella.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The fact that Devine thinks there are deluded conservatives and that she isn't one of them is constantly amusing.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

monkeu posted:

Hahah Labor trying to suspend standing orders again right now. This week is going to be hilarious.

Didn't they just do this on Friday? What's going to change from then

e: Thursday, duh

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

bandaid.friend posted:

I’ll be surprised if they don’t try it at least once every day this week to be honest

LIBERAL CHAOS MR SPEEKAH

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

I mean what else are they going to do? It's not like the Libs are actually governing, and listening to spineless cross benchers soapbox all day is going to be pretty painful.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact that Devine thinks there are deluded conservatives and that she isn't one of them is constantly amusing.

Real talk, I think if the ALP do make any moves on Media regulation, Devine and Kenny two need to be the examples of what you don't get to do.

So much of what they publish are outright lies, not half truths but actual fabrications and lies. The poo poo she said about Safe Schools in her Sky News debate op ed was loving atrocious. This is what I don't get about the whole "oh it's just ideologies clashing" arguments - the entire platform of the Right is just based on an ongoing series of lies and myths - at least today, if not always. The left generally can't put a foot wrong or it'll be in the headlines for weeks, so they're typically pretty well fact checked and reasonable. How a sane, healthy human being can't see the difference between a Devine column or a Craig Kelly speech and someone like Larissa Waters or Checknotes is just beyond comprehension.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
67 to 71 in the negative for suspending standing orders, just needed 3 members to change.... Close.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

crossbench abstaining from votes like the gormless cowards they are

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I mean just how ratshit does the government need to get for these crossbenchers to actually vote?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/dissent831/status/1069367667813838848?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What would Labor do if they did manage to suspend standing orders?