Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

toasterwarrior posted:

Monsters also usually have knockback on their attacks, and if the units survive getting knocked off a wall, the resulting pathfinding mess is probably going to suck rear end.

Pretty sure falling off the walls kills the model that falls - I was defending against a VC seige, and Ghorst was climbing the walls. I was watching him, because for some reason the AI thought the caster lord would make a good vanguard.

He fell off and died for no good reason that I could see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Units only fall off walls if they were dead from what ever knocked them over anyway. Anything that causes knockback to them will knock them over but they won't actually fall off the edge of the wall assuming they are still alive.

Monstrous creatures and artillery CAN be on walls, they just can't climb up on walls or be deployed there; there's GCCM maps where wall sections are flush with the ground behind them, and you can walk any unit from the ground section to the wall section.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
The best way to deal with sieges is to mod them out. Then you can go up against big cities garrisoned with a good army and have actual massive field battles.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Luminous Cow posted:

The best way to deal with sieges is to mod them out. Then you can go up against big cities garrisoned with a good army and have actual massive field battles.

Anyone know a good mod for this? I feel like most of my campaigns end with me quitting from siege battle fatigue. Past a certain point, every single city will have walls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Luminous Cow posted:

Ah yes, I love battles with a ton of reinforcements

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If you don't want to bother with a siege battle then just autoresolve them. Most sieges you can't win via autoresolve will have a garrison that sallies out to fight you in the open anyway .

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I like sieges, even if they are made trivial by some units (Terradon riders with explosive missiles). I feel that increasing the firing cones of towers and having towers pick targets based on something else than "who's the closest" would help make them more lethal.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Finally got the Lizardman start to work. What really made it happen for me was destroying the skink building and building the saurus one on turn 1. By the time I hit the Norsca city, I had almost a full stack. It probably would have gone better if I had actually been able to reach the city the turn I wanted to attack instead of it doing that great thing where you are just outside of attack range but can't tell. They sallied out to fight me and I destroyed their asses, but it did that cool bullshit thing where they magically heal a gently caress ton afterwards and get a free new lord if you killed one the turn before (that poo poo is really loving frustrating). Also multiple of the garrison units that I took the time to wipe out one the field were magically back with full health! Multiple lessons learned, now to go kick the Skaven out of my territory and turn my eyes to Empire to my south.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was really insightful and helpful on getting my starting game going.

Edit: hungover posting = what is a grammar?

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2018

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ah yes, I love battles with a ton of reinforcements

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but 40v40 battles rule hard, and I love constantly having to realign to battle new threats coming from all directions.

Panfilo posted:

If you don't want to bother with a siege battle then just autoresolve them. Most sieges you can't win via autoresolve will have a garrison that sallies out to fight you in the open anyway .

I hate doing this because sometimes certain units just take a ton of damage. Autoresolve in this game is no good sometimes

I dont know posted:

Anyone know a good mod for this? I feel like most of my campaigns end with me quitting from siege battle fatigue. Past a certain point, every single city will have walls.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569053244 It's a little buggy (there's a HE place that still is walled, and I think the Phoenix gates are walled too), but I've been using it without issue otherwise

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Luminous Cow posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but 40v40 battles rule hard, and I love constantly having to realign to battle new threats coming from all directions.

Imo they COULD be awesome if:

1. Reinforcements are deployed pre-battle instead of shuffling on in arbitrary order (ideally just give them a deployment zone but at the very least allow setting who comes on first and where they default to marching to)

2. Just add a new line of unit cards above the first instead of cramming everything into the bottom and making it illegible

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I just tried that turn 1 marienburg thing as Leoun and the marienburg army ran from me and my move range is short of their capital. Are you guys who have done it running home province move mods or something

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I tend to autoresolve battles with heavy reinforcements just because it’s so ungainly trying to manage that many units at once. I’d love to be able to have some input on their deployment, let me choose which units to bring in and when. And why exactly can’t my vanguard units from reinforcing armies deploy alongside the main force?

Finished Vortex campaign with Harkon, some thoughts: the end battle wave defense was a fun idea even if it was a little too forgiving, and Felheart had been my solid bro since turn 10. RESPECT MY CANON. Vampirates are a really powerful campaign faction, probably too many perks. Some bugs bothered me, the agent success chance one is well documented but Harkon’s explosive bullet upgrade and the Gunner Wight blunderbuss skill both seem non-functional. Same issue with some tech skills, such as one giving range troops +20% armour piercing melee damage?

I never really used any large units or flyers beyond some Prometheans in each stack, so next playthrough I may experiment a bit more. Deck droppers seem like such a fun concept but flying cavalry as a whole is generally disappointing, but I might give them a chance.

Also, play of the game goes to Tor Elasor, who replied to my turn 40 spree of cove-setting by sailing over two stacks comprised entirely of swordmasters, Phoenix guard, dragon princes and actual dragons just as I thought I had it all in hand on turn 100. Now THAT was an epic final battle

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaintedBalance posted:

Finally got the Lizardman start to work. What really made it happen for me was destroying the skink building and building the saurus one on turn 1. By the time I hit the Norsca city, I had almost a full stack. It probably would have gone better if I had actually been able to reach the city the turn I wanted to attack instead of it doing that great thing where you are just outside of attack range but can't tell. They sallied out to fight me and I destroyed their asses, but it did that cool bullshit thing where they magically heal a gently caress ton afterwards and get a free new lord if you killed one the turn before (that poo poo is really loving frustrating). Also multiple of the garrison units that I took the time to wipe out one the field were magically back with full health! Multiple lessons learned, now to go kick the Skaven out of my territory and turn my eyes to Empire to my south.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was really insightful and helpful on getting my starting game going.

Edit: hungover posting = what is a grammar?

Yeah, units always get a new lord if they start their turn without one. It can be kind of infuriating; if I know I'm not going to destroy a unit in a battle or its immediate follow-up, I often try to keep the enemy lord alive.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imo they COULD be awesome if:

1. Reinforcements are deployed pre-battle instead of shuffling on in arbitrary order (ideally just give them a deployment zone but at the very least allow setting who comes on first and where they default to marching to)

2. Just add a new line of unit cards above the first instead of cramming everything into the bottom and making it illegible

#2 is my big sticking point. Otherwise, 40 unit battles own.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I 100% always knock out the skink building. First because if it's in a capital then it's taking a spot of a high tier building, like the saurus building which needs tier 4 I think for temple guard. Second because skinks suck. I guess I put like three chameleon skinks in an army for fun but you might as well put three sauruses. Or later some ancient stegadons.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep the skink building in Hexoatl for a little while because javelins are extremely useful early on. Good to bulk up on them to deal with marauder horsemen and night/gutter runners, I find. They also have the best combat barks.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
You can always just let the lord flee at low hp so you can crush em during the next fight.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The Crotch posted:

I keep the skink building in Hexoatl for a little while because javelins are extremely useful early on. Good to bulk up on them to deal with marauder horsemen and night/gutter runners, I find. They also have the best combat barks.

HOLA SKINKSSSSSS

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I usually just kill the skaven first with Hexoatl ignoring the roaming Skeggi army. The skaven are complete pushovers at turn 2. When I arrive back towards Skeggi they have settled the coastal city in my games. I recruit a temp lord to siege that settlement so the defending armies can't reinforce each other and kill the two weak armies separately.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also chameleon skinks are badass and definitely not replaceable by dinos or saurus. They bring a lot to the rather samey lizard roster.

I think skinks are super useful early game (although yeah, ideally stick their building in a minor town) because all the lizard units until you hit chameleons/terradons/dinos are pretty immobile and other than the starting laser lizard in 1/4 campaigns have super low range. And your early enemies are skaven, norscans, and dark elves, who love to bring huge contingents of fast skirmishers. Your saurus can tank them and EVENTUALLY beat them most of the time but god drat is it tedious and bloody. You want skink bros to shoot those fuckers down.

Kroq-gar's spear quest battle vs the hidden shades is a good example. It's either a hilariously easy sweep or a terrible WW1 slog depending on if you bring some skinks to counterskirmish their six or eight shades.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it's worth saying here that the reason the Empire practices magic the way it does is that Teclis taught them, and he had to teach them a hosed up way to do magic because to do it properly takes hundreds of years of study. humans don't have that much time, so Teclis taught them the 'crack cocaine' version of magic, which will kill or drive you insane guaranteed. no elf would ever cast magic that way, but the thing is that it takes about 200 years to kill you, and humans are gonna die anyway, so gently caress it.

I was talking to a friend of mine about magic in Warhams and this came up, is there any source for this bit of trivia? Like, that specifically the way Teclis taught humans was something Elves would never do? I'm not doubting you, I've heard this before from other people, just trying to nail where in the lore it's mentioned specifically.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

KazigluBey posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine about magic in Warhams and this came up, is there any source for this bit of trivia? Like, that specifically the way Teclis taught humans was something Elves would never do? I'm not doubting you, I've heard this before from other people, just trying to nail where in the lore it's mentioned specifically.

Humans go nuts/get possessed from combining different winds of magic, it's one reason necromancy (a hybrid lore) makes necromancers so insane. Teclis taught humans just to use single lores using magic from only a single wind, hence all the different flavours of imperial wizard. High and Dark magic also combine different winds and are incredibly hard to master, even for elves. Humans have basically no chance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KazigluBey posted:

Teclis founding the Colleges of Magic/inventing the eight basic lores stuff is super common in the various rulebooks and army books and so on https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Colleges_of_Magic

The "elves would never do Empire magic" is afaik not explicitly spelled out anywhere, it's more the logical conclusion of what's written about magic in Ham World. Like as Viex said, human mages will, inevitably, go more and more crazy as they progress in their lore. Fire wizards turn into Sienna from Vermintide and will spontaneously combust if they live long enough, shadow wizards become Gandalf, etc. Meanwhile Elf wizards train for centuries and centuries and eventually learn to do all the lores plus high/dark magic. But mortal human wizards who try to learn dark magic inevitably either blow themselves up somehow or become insane cackling necromancers. And humans doing high magic just doesn't happen, presumably because it's impossible to live long enough to consider it without becoming an insane ancient wizard and falling to either necromancy or chaos.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 2, 2018

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
So apparently if a vampire coast faction gets eliminated, and they had set up pirate coves, it crashes the game and you're unable to continue that save. There's a thread on the subreddit, and here's a video of it happening and elichtv explaining https://www.twitch.tv/videos/343034011. At 3:20 you see vampire coast set up a pirate cove on him, and then at 6:22 when clan pestilens eliminates vampire coast is when it first crashes.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 2, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ad090 posted:

So apparently if a vampire coast faction gets eliminated, and they had set up pirate coves, it crashes the game and you're unable to continue that save. There's a thread on the subreddit, and here's a video of it happening and elichtv explaining https://www.twitch.tv/videos/343034011. At 3:20 you see vampire coast set up a pirate cove on him, and then at 6:22 when clan pestilens eliminates vampire coast is when it first crashes.

no problem, it'll be temporarily fixed in a february DLC release.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I'm on turn 55 now and have swept the board for the most part moving south and east. The Drowned got themselves into a nice war with the Orcz down there, and I stepped in while they were exposed, cutting their territory in half, and then another 10-15 turns of mop up after killing their main stack. I made friends with the other dino bros who i'll just let have their little corner, it really doesn't feel worth my time to take them out, plus trading is always nice. Started a war with the Skavens down there and their DE ally, while I've managed to avoid war with the Vampire Coast. Unfortunately the HEs made some pretty dumb choices and the DE to the north are starting to get kind of large - I think I'm gonna be in a two front war soon, which means that the VC will probably seize the moment to hit my eastern flank so that will turn into a three front war. I've got 3 Lords all together, but only my LL MM is running with a full stack which turned lethal when I got the Blessed Bast with the laser artillery stuff.

I feel like I'm probably overexposed, but I'm trying to avoid tanking my economy by building up too many armies preemptively. Should I do so anyways to reduce the chance of being attacked by more factions? Does that even matter? I'm expecting this game to go tits up at some point just because its such a learning experience and I'm sure I could have built my econ much more intelligently, but man, it sure is fun just rolling fools with a bunch of lizards. For reference, my main army comp currently is:

LL MM - going mostly yellow for spells and his personal buffs
Starting Scar Hero - he has been my main hero/champion killer and has been drat good at it too.
Blessed Bast Arty - amaaaaaaazing
Blessed Horned Ones - run interference and secure flanks mostly, occasionally go out and gently caress up their artillery if they have it and leave it exposed
Blessed Fliers with Fire Bolas - just got them, have no idea how they perform
Temple Guard - only survivor of starting army, the rest died to something somewhere eventually
14x Shielded Saurus - these guys have just been going beast mode over almost everything, I've been primarily doing a wedge strategy with them that has proven pretty effective because there are enough of them that the wings can almost always fold around and start flanking/charging into the back of the other force and then the routing begins

I'm fairly certain this approach is going to get stopped cold once I hit a couple large monsters in an army or a lot of armor, ya?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vlex posted:

Humans go nuts/get possessed from combining different winds of magic, it's one reason necromancy (a hybrid lore) makes necromancers so insane. Teclis taught humans just to use single lores using magic from only a single wind, hence all the different flavours of imperial wizard. High and Dark magic also combine different winds and are incredibly hard to master, even for elves. Humans have basically no chance.

This is entirely correct; Teclis taught humans to focus on single lores of magic because it's the only way a human could actually become an adept spellcaster in their lifespan. Big boy human wizards who dive super deep into one lore can be just as good as elves or whatever - at casting that one lore.

The reason elves don't hyper focus like this is that the individual winds of magic are mentally corrosive if you indulge in one wind too much. Elves train to harness all of them because you can use the various winds to offset each other to stop any individual wind from ruining you from overuse, and they have the time to spend to learn how to do this while humans don't. You could theoretically have an elf who is JUST a fire mage and spends all of their time casting fire magic and nothing else but he would probably go crazy just like a human who focuses entirely on fire magic and nothing else.

The humans who do live long enough to learn multiple lores of magic are vampires(who are beings sustained by death magic, so it's hard for them to branch out) or necromancers(who are so steeped in death magic that they're pretty much attuned to that element forever, so it's hard for them to branch out). Necrarchs are considered the vampiric masters of magic because they're actually making progress to become multi-lore masters like elves.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 3, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Going back to playing Brettonia and I feel like they got outclassed through power creep, even with the updated research.

Their economic system is clunky and awkward, their growth building is a big ripoff, they get hamstrung by the Peasant system, and Chivalry feels pointless once it gets maxed out. You only get four uses of the green knight during the campaign, skill trees feel very outdated compared to newer factions, and their infantry aren't worth the opportunity cost behind them. They have a bunch of research that was intended to unify the region, but the issue now is that Mousillon and Barrow Legion carves up the little Brettonian factions pretty bad.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I also started bretonniAns and it feels really good though cycle charge evil beings

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The only negative is you can’t have dismounted knights with great weapons. Would’ve been baller as hell

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wild Horses posted:

The only negative is you can’t have dismounted knights with great weapons. Would’ve been baller as hell

That's basically what Foot Squires are...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

You dare compare a squire with a KNIGHT of ~B r e t o n n i a~?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ad090 posted:

What happens if you are the one to eliminate the vampire coast faction? just best never to wipe them out or risk dooming the save?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmao i guess this is as good a time as any for me to try total war: shogun

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

John Charity Spring posted:

Basically all the VC endings that I've seen reference their role in the upcoming end times in some way - turns out one of the voices in Luthor's mind was Nagash, for instance. Cylostra gets approached by 'the Great Enchanter' who might also be referred to as The Nameless, I can't remember exactly, who wants her to come over to the old world for the end times.

dang, 'the Great Enchanter' is explicitly drachenfels' title.

in the end times nagash had 9 minions called Mortarchs, who could be good fodder for a nagash faction (if there is going to be) the ones we already all know about are:

1. Arkhan
2. Mannfred
3. Neferata
4. Vlad
5. Luthor
6. Krell
7. The Nameless (aka Drachenfels)
(i bolded the two who arent in the game already, but I/others have already talked about)

the last 2 options are kinda weird characters:

8. Dieter Helsnicht

pronounced deet-er, hes not on a diet

Back in the old days, fairly soon after the reign of sigmar, Dieter was a renowned and popular wizard in the empire. he travelled the world seeking magical lore, and on hearing rumours of a necromancer king named Kadon reigning somewhere in the Badlands, Dieter went on over. Kadon himself was originally the shaman of a barbarian tribe in the badlands, but he had the (mis)fortune to find a pretty important corpse: the nehekaran hero-king Alcadizaar. If you recall, that was the guy who stabbed nagash for the skaven. it turned out during his escape, Alcadizaar had picked up Nagash's evil crown of sorcery (azhag's hat), and brought it with him to where he died. Kadon was smart enough to recognise the clothes Alcadizaar was wearing, and ordered the construction of a kingly barrow to bury him in. He was not smart enough to not put on the evil crown, and got influenced by the evil shard of nagash that was inside it into making himself into basically barbarian nagash, even trying to get his own pyramid built. Kadon ended up getting owned by Ushoran, the strigoi ghoul progenitor, but im not sure if that was before or after Dieters visit.

either way Dieter heard mumblings of nagash returning from his defeat at sigmar's hand not too long ago, so he set off for Nagashizzar and promptly got his rear end turned all the way the gently caress evil. He went in the spooky castle good, came out all pale and creepy. he went home to middenland, where he pretty soon got evicted for being gross and doing gross stuff. he retreated to his castle that he had built in the forest, and amassed an undead army and found a cool manticore to ride around on.

a bunch more stuff happened with him trying to invade places, but it basically all ended when the Elector Count of Middenland stabbed Dieter right in the tit. It didn't kill him, but it was his favourite tit and it took all the fight out of him. his undead minions crumbled, and the only reason Dieter survived was he happened to be wearing his seatbelt on his manticore, and the second the tit-stabbing happened the manticore freaked out and flew away with dieters limp body still tied to it, flailing around like a wacky waving inflatable tube man.

after that he basically just grumbled and tried to eat The Smurfs until nagash came back, where he became a mortarch. he was a major leader in nagash's efforts to take over Khemri, working alongside Krell to dominate the region. he hadn't taken the tit-stabbing well, and had developed a weird habit of eating the brains of other necromancers to steal their power. Krell, who led alongside him, didnt like it much, but everyone has their quirks. Dieter also helped Nagash develop the Morghasts (the buff skeletons) and a ritual to enter the nehekaran afterlife, where Nagash would eat Usirian to become a true god (i think the eating part was dieter's idea too). He'd end up staying behind in the underworld, becoming its new guardian for Nagash. a surprisingly happy ending for old dieter, i'm assuming he is still knocking around somewhere in age of sigmar.

9. Walach Harkon

cosplay: the harkon family curse

I talked about Walach a little bit a while back, but only in so far as he related to Luthor Harkon. Story so far: Luthor and Walach get turned by Abhorash, stay loyal to him as noble renegade vampires, escape into exile with him after the fall of Lahmia. Abhorash kills and eats a dragon, which cures his bloodthirst and sun weakness, Walach decides to found an order of vampires who will try and replicate this feat. Luthor fucks off at some point.

Walach, on his own now, wanders into bretonnia. He finds a knightly order, The Order of the Blood Dragon (ominous name really). He kicks their leaders rear end in a duel, and says he's the boss now. Turns all the knights into vampires obsessed with duelling and chivalry and poo poo. It turns out Luthor isn't the only Harkon who likes to dress up and play pretend, but Walach takes it too far. He gets really into bretonnian culture, becoming a Bretonaboo. adopting the bret attitude that peasants are poo poo, he ditches Abhorash's morals (only feeding on baddies) and starts drinking the blood of any mortal.

But what really signals to the other vampires that he's gone over the deep end is when he takes a bunch of knightly vows, including worst of all, chastity. And I quote:

quote:

Harkon does not share his master’s piety - he does not, for example, feed only on criminals - but he does share his devotion to perfection and believes the vows of knighthood are the best way to achieve it. Many believe Harkon takes this too far, as he insists on mimicking every aspect of knightly ceremony, including, since the death of his great love Aurora, absolute chastity. Harkon hears no argument, however, and considers anyone who does not follow his traditions to the letter to be undisciplined swine, better culled with the humans than allowed to further insult the purity of the order.

Anyway, his castle ends up getting sacked and his knights scattered by the forces of good and light. When Nagash comes back, he makes Walach a mortarch, presumably not having heard yet what a sick little freak Walach has become. He really fucks things up and becomes almost as bad as Mannfred when he goes rogue during Vlad's attempt to ally the undead with the living. Vlad had mounted a rousing defense of the empire against the forces of chaos, and Karl Franz was LITERALLY about to declare Vlad and ally and a hero when Walach and his goons charge the assembled empire people.

Turns out, while stuck behind enemy lines, the guy obsessed with fighting, blood, duelling, blood, and fighting somehow fell to Khorne!!!!! WHO SAW IT COMING????

Walach flies around on a skeleton dragon, and dumpsters Karl Franz out of the sky, apparently killing him. Which understandably upsets the people of the empire. He then lands his dragon on Vlad, but Vlad is a stone cold badass. He knows Walach is Weak from not Jacking Off or loving, and so by pure force of necromantic will he wrests control of Walach's steed from him, and has the bone dragon tear the weird knight weeaboo into pieces.

Sadly the damage is done, and the alliance with the undead and humans is off, meaning Walach contributed far more than most to Age of Sigmar coming to pass.

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!?!?!

So this is kind of a left field thing, but Nagash gets a new Mortarch in age of sigmar who i guess could be back ported to fantasy? CA likes ghost ladies though, and you better believe this lady is a ghost:

10. Lady Olynder

the ghost with the party tit

I know what you're thinking with that tit, who is she, reincarnated dieter?

Well, maybe, they didn't say anything about that, but she was a mortal ruler in life. She married into the royalty of a land that honored Nagash (cause nagash is a really real god in age of sigmar), but the prince/king/ruler guy she married disappeared pretty soon after the wedding! oh no! naturally she was jazzed, cause she was super power hungry, but she pretended to be super sad in public all the time, while inwardly chortling at her might.

in mourning their king and serving their new queen, the people of the land forgot about worshipping nagash. bad idea. when nurgle's plagues ravaged the kingdom till it was empty, Lady Olynder tried to bargain with nurgle, not really feeling any actual grief or sadness for her dead people or husband. Nagash jumped in and was like CURSED! and so she was cursed to be a sad ghost, and nagash forgot all about it.

until a while later, where he was looking for a new lieutenant to help him really spook mortals, because despite being a big skellington, he had forgotten about emotions and poo poo. he found lady olynder again, who had managed to become queen again, except queen of a realm of sick and spooky ghosts! woooooOOOooOOOOooOOOOoo! her only sadness was being stuck in one realm, when she wanted to spook many more. Nagash made a deal with her, and i guess sheepishly apologised for turning her into a sad ghost.

she's the leader of the Nighthaunt ghost faction that just came out and everyone likes, so if they wanted to bring in those cool ghost units they could bring in Lady Olynder with them. I think its unlikely, but i wanted to put her out there for yall to see. i think her model has a pretty classic gothic motif that is lacking in the more edgy undead units we have.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What happens if you are the one to eliminate the vampire coast faction? just best never to wipe them out or risk dooming the save?

Yes it happens when you wipe them out as well. There's a chance depending on where you are in the campaign, they might not have coves set up and/or the ones they do put up get razed in which case your save won't break if they get eliminated.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaintedBalance posted:

I'm on turn 55 now and have swept the board for the most part moving south and east. The Drowned got themselves into a nice war with the Orcz down there, and I stepped in while they were exposed, cutting their territory in half, and then another 10-15 turns of mop up after killing their main stack. I made friends with the other dino bros who i'll just let have their little corner, it really doesn't feel worth my time to take them out, plus trading is always nice. Started a war with the Skavens down there and their DE ally, while I've managed to avoid war with the Vampire Coast. Unfortunately the HEs made some pretty dumb choices and the DE to the north are starting to get kind of large - I think I'm gonna be in a two front war soon, which means that the VC will probably seize the moment to hit my eastern flank so that will turn into a three front war. I've got 3 Lords all together, but only my LL MM is running with a full stack which turned lethal when I got the Blessed Bast with the laser artillery stuff.

I feel like I'm probably overexposed, but I'm trying to avoid tanking my economy by building up too many armies preemptively. Should I do so anyways to reduce the chance of being attacked by more factions? Does that even matter? I'm expecting this game to go tits up at some point just because its such a learning experience and I'm sure I could have built my econ much more intelligently, but man, it sure is fun just rolling fools with a bunch of lizards. For reference, my main army comp currently is:

LL MM - going mostly yellow for spells and his personal buffs
Starting Scar Hero - he has been my main hero/champion killer and has been drat good at it too.
Blessed Bast Arty - amaaaaaaazing
Blessed Horned Ones - run interference and secure flanks mostly, occasionally go out and gently caress up their artillery if they have it and leave it exposed
Blessed Fliers with Fire Bolas - just got them, have no idea how they perform
Temple Guard - only survivor of starting army, the rest died to something somewhere eventually
14x Shielded Saurus - these guys have just been going beast mode over almost everything, I've been primarily doing a wedge strategy with them that has proven pretty effective because there are enough of them that the wings can almost always fold around and start flanking/charging into the back of the other force and then the routing begins

I'm fairly certain this approach is going to get stopped cold once I hit a couple large monsters in an army or a lot of armor, ya?
Saurus warriors are great, though I think most people run temple guard-centric armies for Mazdamundi, since he gets them cheaper. A pure saurus army is going to start running in to trouble later in the game, of course; Clan Rictus' policy of "minimum 5 doomwheels in every late-game army" requires some dinosaurs to deal with. I usually take around 7 units of line infantry in each lizard army (pure temple guard for Mazda, 5-6 saurus warriors and 0-2 temple guard for regular armies). If you're lucky, you get lots of quests for blessed saurus warriors - easily my favourite blessed unit. But dinos, heroes (on dinos), kroxigors, and chameleons are all really valuable.

If you're worried about tanking your economy to protect yourself from dark elves, remember that you can make a lot of your northern cities very defensible. Hexoatl is nigh untakeable to begin with, Fallen Gates gets a unique building that reinforces it, and you probably want to build walls in all of your northern and coastal cities. I typically do that, and leave a small army hanging out near Skeggi to defend the north while I take the south with Mazdamundi and another full army.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:allears: I love you juggalo baby coffin. I could read these all day.

(also shame on you for not sneaking a deck dropper into ghost lady's pic)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone else's Allariel like... a bloodthirsty warlord? She's decided to start wars of conquest all over Ulthuan, it's kinda crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kanos posted:

This is entirely correct; Teclis taught humans to focus on single lores of magic because it's the only way a human could actually become an adept spellcaster in their lifespan. Big boy human wizards who dive super deep into one lore can be just as good as elves or whatever - at casting that one lore.

The reason elves don't hyper focus like this is that the individual winds of magic are mentally corrosive if you indulge in one wind too much. Elves train to harness all of them because you can use the various winds to offset each other to stop any individual wind from ruining you from overuse, and they have the time to spend to learn how to do this while humans don't. You could theoretically have an elf who is JUST a fire mage and spends all of their time casting fire magic and nothing else but he would probably go crazy just like a human who focuses entirely on fire magic and nothing else.

The humans who do live long enough to learn multiple lores of magic are vampires(who are beings sustained by death magic, so it's hard for them to branch out) or necromancers(who are so steeped in death magic that they're pretty much attuned to that element forever, so it's hard for them to branch out). Necrarchs are considered the vampiric masters of magic because they're actually making progress to become multi-lore masters like elves.

As a note, Caledorian mages sometimes fall into this. They drop out of high magic school as soon as they get their fire mage certificate and go out looking for a sick ride.