Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GhostStalker posted:

Probably Thanksgiving and not wanting a tournament to be preempted by FOOTBAWW!? Makes the most sense to me.

That didn't even occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Also Election day was the day before it started. So the timing was pretty good.

Also I can't believe that Maya risked enough to lose even with the runaway. But her reaction to having the correct response was great.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR VOICE?

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR VOICE?

Yeah, dunk on that child for the voice she decided to have.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It may be an unusual voice, but she’s smart, a good wagerer and a finalist, so gently caress the haters!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what is emma's accent? south african?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I find it endearing, play up the Pollyanna voice before demolishing everyone

She also likely saw the honey badger video on YouTube just like the writers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh wow, you're not kidding - this girl's voice is very odd.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm just skipping the finals, I love Amy Santiago Jr. and Maya but I just can't

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Emma is my friend and I wish her, Claire, and Maya luck.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm just skipping the finals, I love Amy Santiago Jr. and Maya but I just can't

holy poo poo you're right

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Amy Jr wins big!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Claire looked absolutely adorable when it finally processed in her mind that she had actually won. Pure joy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DoctorWhat posted:

Amy Jr wins big!

Yay! I was hoping it'd be her.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wanted Maya or maybe weird voice girl to win. Anyone but the one who acts like a 40 yr old divorced mom of 3.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

drat Kid Cudi got real white and real fat since last I saw him

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

also real jeopardy is back, the tyranny of preteens is over. wake up nerds

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I missed the end of yesterday’s game. What happened? Why did Papa Trebek issue a statement??

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Twin Cinema posted:

I missed the end of yesterday’s game. What happened? Why did Papa Trebek issue a statement??

I dunno what statement you're referring to, (the one at the beginning of today's game?) but at the end of Double Jeopardy yesterday, the contestants saved a category for last and the champ was going up it from the bottom to try and make up some money. It became 3 stand and stares before the round ended because of time. I forget the category, but Trebek mentioned at the end there that it might've been a repeat of the infamous football full category stumper a couple months back of the other two clues were revealed (or the video game category that got Matt Rorie a bump in his Twitter follows when he made the first video of it to go viral). Today's champ had been trailing going into Double, the other challenger leading but then dropping most of her score, and I guess Alex wanted to mention that.

Also, who the hell just goes by one letter as a first name?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GhostStalker posted:

I dunno what statement you're referring to, (the one at the beginning of today's game?) but at the end of Double Jeopardy yesterday, the contestants saved a category for last and the champ was going up it from the bottom to try and make up some money. It became 3 stand and stares before the round ended because of time. I forget the category, but Trebek mentioned at the end there that it might've been a repeat of the infamous football full category stumper a couple months back of the other two clues were revealed (or the video game category that got Matt Rorie a bump in his Twitter follows when he made the first video of it to go viral). Today's champ had been trailing going into Double, the other challenger leading but then dropping most of her score, and I guess Alex wanted to mention that.

Also, who the hell just goes by one letter as a first name?

It was Bible Books by Character. They didn't even get Revelation!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Wait, wasn't it the umlaut category?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Discount Viscount posted:

I haven't watched the ep yet, but what characters even are in Revelation besides poo poo like the four horsemen or the beast with seven heads?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 28, 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

One of the funniest quirks of Jeopardy is when it comes to a sports or Bible category you usually either get one person running the entire category or 3 blank stares over and over.
\
"Pi to 100 digits."

Everyone tries to click in.

"Superbowl championship team in 2016."

Blank stares.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, that was it, thanks for refreshing my memory.

haveblue posted:

I haven't watched the ep yet, but what characters even are in Revelation besides poo poo like the four horsemen or the beast with seven heads?

The clue included the Mother of Harlots or something to that effect, so there's one.

nikosoft posted:

I think Umlaut also had a couple of clues left uncovered during that round, but it wasn't the category they were stand and staring at when the round ended and Trebek commented on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nikosoft posted:

And no Spinal Tap clue? Shameful.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure John, and also Jesus makes an appearance in the form of a bunch of lampposts, because if there's one thing Christian dieties decided in the bible it's that they were going to appear on earth only as the stupidest poo poo ever and didn't learn a thing when everyone loved the cool gold calf.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That Majors category was incredibly brutal. Honestly that entire Double Jeopardy felt way more difficult than normal (but my weak points are history and bible so ymmv)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

oh hell yea. they called me today, a week after my audition, and asked me to be on

gently caress yes

When are you filming/airing?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
NYC Trip Report: I had some time to kill near Times Square so I went over to the Gaf West, which is where Austin Rogers apparently still bartends. Unfortunately he was not bartending on that particular Wednesday night. However, I can report very reasonable prices for pints in midtown.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Poque posted:

When are you filming/airing?

aired the day before thanksgiving

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xkkre

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I take it you're Casey? You were fun to watch, even if it turned into a runaway quickly enough. Should've said something in the thread, even if we were still talking about the winner of the Teen Tournament instead!

Welcome to the Goon Jeopardy one and done club though!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yay congrats dude!!

I'm went away and am so super far behind that I haven't actually watched your episode yet (I'm up to the semi-finals of the teen tournament :negative: ) so I look forward to seeing it in a few days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Yay congrats dude!!

I'm went away and am so super far behind that I haven't actually watched your episode yet (I'm up to the semi-finals of the teen tournament :negative: ) so I look forward to seeing it in a few days.

Yeah, we are still about 3-4 episodes behind ourselves. I thought we would get caught up this weekend, but between Pokémon community day and Dr Who (which we are also still behind on), no dice so far.

Our friends can’t do trivia night tonight, so we may stay in and just knock out the remaining episodes.

Nice job man! You did well, Didn’t realize you were a goon. I’m going to have to rewatch this episode.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 3, 2018

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

I take it you're Casey? You were fun to watch, even if it turned into a runaway quickly enough. Should've said something in the thread, even if we were still talking about the winner of the Teen Tournament instead!

Welcome to the Goon Jeopardy one and done club though!

yep, that’s me.

well i made it a not-runaway at the end until the double jeopardy. i felt i absolutely had to go for the lead there given it was the second easiest question in a category i felt quite comfortable with and she was fantastic and that was my one shot. aside from her being obviously better at the buzzer, after that question she even said that she only knew the answer from knowing paragraph 2 or 3 from page like 312 from some tennessee williams play. at that point i knew she was insanely smart and photographic and knew she deserved it. i would’ve bet my life i had at least heard of the answer to the q but nope!

man, if only i got the show before. i would’ve won like $50k easy. fairly sure i knew all but one of the questions. :/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Nice moustache

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

yep, that’s me.

well i made it a not-runaway at the end until the double jeopardy. i felt i absolutely had to go for the lead there given it was the second easiest question in a category i felt quite comfortable with and she was fantastic and that was my one shot. aside from her being obviously better at the buzzer, after that question she even said that she only knew the answer from knowing paragraph 2 or 3 from page like 312 from some tennessee williams play. at that point i knew she was insanely smart and photographic and knew she deserved it. i would’ve bet my life i had at least heard of the answer to the q but nope!

man, if only i got the show before. i would’ve won like $50k easy. fairly sure i knew all but one of the questions. :/

True, you made a big bet there at the end on that Daily Double and it would've paid off if only you knew. I think I was yelling the correct response at my TV before because I felt bad that you had almost caught up with her, the fact that Alex kinda sorta prompted you to bet so big when he announced the gulf between your scores, and it definitely would've made Final a lot more interesting if you had hit it, and that was before I knew you were a goon as well.

I think I remembered the answer from either a History Channel show talking about building and Engineering stuff back before they became just another reality TV channel, or some coverage after Hurricane Katrina hit the area and hosed it up something fierce.

Still, you made a good go of it until the very end there. And Mary Ann does seem really nice, so if you had to lose to her, it's not so bad, I guess.

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice moustache

:yeah:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Abel Wingnut posted:

yep, that’s me.

it was a bad outcome but this really was the only sensible option strategically

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

yep, that’s me.

Rewatched the show, and yeah, the champ is a beast so to keep up with her is extremely impressive. I thought you did extremely well.

It’s crazy, especially watching in person, but really Jeopardy is about two things in my mind: the buzzer and luck. Most contestants know most of the answers, so it’s whomever gets the feel of the buzzer first, and sometimes you just get the wrong category or question. Momentum from either getting the buzzer or category you like can make or break the game.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Duckman2008 posted:

Rewatched the show, and yeah, the champ is a beast so to keep up with her is extremely impressive. I thought you did extremely well.

It’s crazy, especially watching in person, but really Jeopardy is about two things in my mind: the buzzer and luck. Most contestants know most of the answers, so it’s whomever gets the feel of the buzzer first, and sometimes you just get the wrong category or question. Momentum from either getting the buzzer or category you like can make or break the game.
I can't prove it, but I swear I've recently seen contestants deliberately drop from close second into third place for control of the board at the start of Double Jeopardy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Help me out here, what swear word sounds like miedo