Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Disgaea 5 actually has a good bit of voiced, actual story left, in addition to the other stuff like a full set of alternate, superpowered levels.

edit: Unless you mean you took down the postgame-SUPER-superboss, in which case yeah, you won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Durability in Minecraft is why they never should have implemented hunger, which is one of the worst systems I've ever seen added to a game.

Hunger is alright, the pain in the rear end comes from fall damage being way too punishing and making you drain a bunch of meter to replenish the constant chip damage from descending into any cave.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

John Lee posted:

Disgaea 5 actually has a good bit of voiced, actual story left, in addition to the other stuff like a full set of alternate, superpowered levels.

edit: Unless you mean you took down the postgame-SUPER-superboss, in which case yeah, you won.

:colbert: Yeah I won.

~150 hours on the clock. I could go and make more super characters or equipment or whatever but there isn't any actual content left for me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Zelda BOTW: I'm in a volcano. There's fire everywhere. A dude is trapped in a cave. So I take out my bow, select the bomb arrows... And the bow blows up in my face, killing me. (What the hell did I think would happen, using high explosives in a lake of lava?)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vic posted:

Durability makes you go down, hunger makes you go back up. Vanilla Minecraft.

There's not much game in there besides the legos.

On the contrary, I feel like there's a little too much game in there w/r/t all the bespoke little simulation-lite stuff like farming and the arcane crafting system.

Obviously creative mode is where it's at tho.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Dragon Quest 11, I like how they leaned into never being allowed to say No in a Yes/No dialogue option, by making No a joke option most of the time. Like, instead of just compelling you to say Yes, it's usually a cute response for saying No - so you should every time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

At the beginning of Super Paper Mario, a guy explains how the world is ending and you are destined to save it. Then he asks if you’ll take on the challenge, with a yes/no dialogue prompt. I forget the exact wording, but if you say no the exchange goes something like this.

Won’t you help us, Mario?
>No
Wait, really? Uh, please?
>No
Pretty please?
>No
Oh. Uh... okay.

GAME OVER

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

In Dragon Quest 11, I like how they leaned into never being allowed to say No in a Yes/No dialogue option, by making No a joke option most of the time. Like, instead of just compelling you to say Yes, it's usually a cute response for saying No - so you should every time.

The Curse of Monkey Island was the first game i ever played where the dialogue your character spoke was different from the options you could choose from, as a gag.

Voodoo Lady: "My nieces and nephews are adorable children, would you like to see some pictures?"

Guybrush's dialogue options:
- No.
- NO!
- Please no.
- For the love of GOD, no
*pick any option*

Guybrush: "Perhaps.....later"

I also remember talking to another character that uses the phrase "paradigm shift", and one of your response choices is "Pair of dimes?" but if you highlight it a little text box pops up on the bottom of the screen that says "please do not pick this one"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ariong posted:

At the beginning of Super Paper Mario, a guy explains how the world is ending and you are destined to save it. Then he asks if you’ll take on the challenge, with a yes/no dialogue prompt. I forget the exact wording, but if you say no the exchange goes something like this.

>No
>No
Pretty please?
>No
Oh. Uh... okay.

GAME OVER

It'd be cuter if it wasn't like, 10+ minutes of unskippable cutscenes leading up to that point with no save. Its sort of the problem with that entire game where its favorite joke is "isn't this tedious thing I'm making you do tedious???"

The 3d to 2d was still an excellent and wonderful idea even if only it and a game called Crush ever used the idea.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ariong posted:

>No
>No
Pretty please?
>No
Oh. Uh... okay.

GAME OVER

Golden Sun also has that. Everyone gathers and gives you the mission of being the hero of whatever and you can just refuse it and walk out.

Pretty sure several Nintendo RPGs give you the choice to not save the world and get a game over, it was a bit of a meme some time ago.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Legend of Legaia did a similar thing, if you refuse to do a plot-critical thing repeatedly one of your party member flips the hell out and tears into the protagonist for being such a cowardly idiot all of a sudden.

The next time you get the prompt, the Yes/No choices are instead "Yes" and "Yes".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I saw the Clinic minigame in Fist of the North Star was a QTE but I didn't know it was straight up Elite Beat Agents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrhyoJEZ6Sg

Down to the nurse turning on the strobe lights when you're doing better than usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2clgDUATRA

I'm also glad Ken is as dramatic as Kiryu :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wc0M2e0Vzg

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

>No
>No
Pretty please?
>No
Oh. Uh... okay.

GAME OVER

There's something similar in Super Mario RPG, where you first meet Mallow. You get asked to take him along on your quest with a yes/no prompt. If you say no it will just continue to ask your over and over until you choose yes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RCarr posted:

There's something similar in Super Mario RPG, where you first meet Mallow. You get asked to take him along on your quest with a yes/no prompt. If you say no it will just continue to ask your over and over until you choose yes.

Pretty sure “but thou must” is a thing from the first Final Fantasy, if not earlier.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RyokoTK posted:

Pretty sure “but thou must” is a thing from the first Final Fantasy, if not earlier.

Dragon Quest 1 dude. Literally "But thou must" is DQ1.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh yeah, I got the ancient JRPGs mixed up is all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The yiga clan are apparently a bunch of murderous donkey kongs.

Edit: Murderous incompetent donkey kongs

Edit 2: I wish the actual divine beasts were as fun as the boarding them sections. Surfing behind a seal a d shooting bomb arrows was :black101: as hell

Len has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Dec 3, 2018

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RCarr posted:

Yes, that's the trope being subverted in the paper Mario game

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Here's a fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrpqB2x5Uw

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Golden Sun also has that. Everyone gathers and gives you the mission of being the hero of whatever and you can just refuse it and walk out.

Pretty sure several Nintendo RPGs give you the choice to not save the world and get a game over, it was a bit of a meme some time ago.

The best one of these is in the terrible DS Harvest Moon where your dog starts attacking the rear end in a top hat mayor at the beginning. He begs you to call it off and if you refuse enough times the dog straight up kills him and you get a game over.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

The best one of these is in the terrible DS Harvest Moon where your dog starts attacking the rear end in a top hat mayor at the beginning. He begs you to call it off and if you refuse enough times the dog straight up kills him and you get a game over.

That’s not a game over that’s a better future for everyone and a GOOD DOG

Eat
The
Rich

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I got that for my brother and he was so bummed out when the game corrupted his save :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best is actually Portal 2, which has several achievements associated with willingly walking into extremely obvious deathtraps.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

haveblue posted:

The best is actually Portal 2, which has several achievements associated with willingly walking into extremely obvious deathtraps.

I just wanted to pet the deer :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Hunger is alright, the pain in the rear end comes from fall damage being way too punishing and making you drain a bunch of meter to replenish the constant chip damage from descending into any cave.
That too. Minecraft was more fun when food was a healing item instead of going for some sort of weird stupid realism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I never understood that. One day it just changed and I ate a cooked pork and it didn't heal me, only my hunger bar. I spent the next 20 minutes being like "ok so how do I heal then?" and kinda figuring out how 'food saturation' and natural healing worked before deciding it wasn't worth it and turning peaceful difficulty back on. :downsgun:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I never understood that. One day it just changed and I ate a cooked pork and it didn't heal me, only my hunger bar. I spent the next 20 minutes being like "ok so how do I heal then?" and kinda figuring out how 'food saturation' and natural healing worked before deciding it wasn't worth it and turning peaceful difficulty back on. :downsgun:
Minecraft is easily the single biggest example of a game that didn't live up to its early access potential.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Minecraft has been in pretty much continuous development since launch and there's no indication that the gameplay will be fun or have much depth at all anytime soon.

They'll probably add some new types of wood to the game though!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The most fun I had with Minecraft was running a server for me and a few friends and just loving with things using my trickster god powers.

Friend logged off and I filled his entire house with glass as well as the outside so it was like wrapping his things in cellophane.

Except there was a spot in the middle of it all where I put a server crashing amount of chickens. He broke the thing and this flood of chickens just poured out of his house. We eventually killed enough that things went back to okay but good times were had

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Notch never had any idea why people liked Minecraft and mostly worked on the other stuff.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Pretty much anyone who I know plays the game plays with mods. I feel like playing vanilla minecraft is very much a "you can, but why the hell would you choose to" kind of thing.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I wish there were Minecraft mods that did stuff other than add a bunch of nightmarish supply line garbage.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I unironically want a Minecraft game where your enviromental destruction slowly makes the game world dirty and polluted and attracts nastier enemies.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh man, if you like nightmare supply chain stuff then you’ll love Factorio. I won’t allow myself to play it as I have to continue being a functioning member of society.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I unironically want a Minecraft game where your enviromental destruction slowly makes the game world dirty and polluted and attracts nastier enemies.

Yeah this is literally Factorio.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Play Factorio. It's not gone Gold yet, but is basically feature-complete and worth double what they're charging.

I just died in The Surge, and lost almost 20 minutes of progress because I got murdered a few steps away from being able to open up a new path shortcut, and I'm actually not mad about it. It's balls hard, but every time you die in it it's because you didn't do something or you didn't respect the opponent you were facing or you messed up on the execution. I got greedy and thought I could save a healing consumable and died to a lovely trash mob because I wasn't paying attention. It's pretty much the epitome of tough but fair, and the risk/reward system with regards to Tech Scrap (basically: you build XP at a higher rate the more enemies you kill without returning to a safe area/replenishing healing items) is wonderfully balanced.

It's also a game where when you get good you get good, and enemies that used to knock you around effortlessly become loot pinatas... but they can still kill you in only a few hits, so you're never completely disengaged even when going through early areas.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Red Dead Redemption 2 is a flawed masterpiece, as I'm sure most people are aware, but my favourite little thing is a hat.

In the game there's a character called the Trapper, which you give perfect animal corpses and skins to make clothing. When I first got there I was going through the hats and suddenly got an unexpected hit of Western Nostalgia.

For the small price of ten perfect rat skins, I could dress like a character outta my youth and have his hat, made of him:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Breetai posted:

Play Factorio. It's not gone Gold yet, but is basically feature-complete and worth double what they're charging.

I just died in The Surge, and lost almost 20 minutes of progress because I got murdered a few steps away from being able to open up a new path shortcut, and I'm actually not mad about it. It's balls hard, but every time you die in it it's because you didn't do something or you didn't respect the opponent you were facing or you messed up on the execution. I got greedy and thought I could save a healing consumable and died to a lovely trash mob because I wasn't paying attention. It's pretty much the epitome of tough but fair, and the risk/reward system with regards to Tech Scrap (basically: you build XP at a higher rate the more enemies you kill without returning to a safe area/replenishing healing items) is wonderfully balanced.

It's also a game where when you get good you get good, and enemies that used to knock you around effortlessly become loot pinatas... but they can still kill you in only a few hits, so you're never completely disengaged even when going through early areas.

There's a thing about going on a killing spree before collecting your scrap that nets you a big multiplier. Apparently it's possible to grind in the first area and end up with millions if you go back and start dying with a decent amount.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
No, don't play Factorio. It is a ravenous monster that eats time.

Actually I love Factorio. It's a ridiculously good game but boy howdy does it make your free time vanish into a dark hole never to be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In agents of mayhem, I appreciate the Saints Row crew showing up as alternate universe versions of themselves and that my man Pierce is living his best life.

I actually bought the character DLC cause come on, gotta have the whole posse.