Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Edit: in more 'the world isn't NYC' news lol at getting paid 80k as a junior in most of the US btw.

my first job paid $55k to new hires with a relevant degree. that was many years ago in the midwest, and we were very nearly the lowest-paying shop in town

even if we ignore inflation, and we ignore the bottom-feeder status of that first employer, that's still double the median wage in america

christ

computer touchers are very well paid. if you can't manage to save money, or handle COBRA costs, what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i had a google hangouts interview (with google) and messed it up :/

needed handholding which is bad but the thing im mad about is that i made a method return an optional of boolean for no reason instead of just a boolean. i set the return type wrongly at the beginning while figuring out exactly what the method needed to do and didnt revisit it later.

im so bad at interviews

poty fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 3, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

i had a google hangouts interview (with google) and messed it up :/

needed handholding which is bad but the thing im mad about is that i made a method return an optional of boolean for no reason instead of just a boolean. i set the return type wrongly at the beginning while figuring out exactly what the method needed to do and didnt revisit it later.

im so bad at interviews

don't beat yourself up

1. normal people won't care about a mistake like that.
2. google is famous for having a stupid interview process

you can be quite good at interviewing and still make no headway at google because they admit they don't know how to do this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nosql thread is up in CoC

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my first job paid $55k to new hires with a relevant degree. that was many years ago in the midwest, and we were very nearly the lowest-paying shop in town

even if we ignore inflation, and we ignore the bottom-feeder status of that first employer, that's still double the median wage in america

christ

computer touchers are very well paid. if you can't manage to save money, or handle COBRA costs, what the gently caress?

it’s gotten worse. 55k was how much i made straight out of school in DC. don’t get me wrong it’s still much better than almost everyone else but the trend is moving in the wrong direction

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

christ

being comparatively well paid doesn't make you immune to weird accidents or other unforeseen misfortunes that might befall you or your family, and a rainy day fund will only last so long. this applies to even well paid white collar workers. sure, if you're in the absolute top income brackets in nyc, seattle or california, you likely make such bizarre amounts of money that this is a non-issue after you've been in the trade for a few years, but that's far from every computer toucher. someone making $80k isn't taking home that much more than they would in, say, scandinavia, but they're far more vulnerable to a few unlucky breaks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TheFluff posted:

someone making $80k isn't taking home that much more than they would in, say, scandinavia, but they're far more vulnerable to a few unlucky breaks.

sorry bud i'm not buying what you're selling

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
white collar workers are much, much better protected against a sequence of unlucky breaks than average americans

if you can't make it work on $55k a year w/ full bennies in the u.s., you would find a way to be broke and miserable anywhere, with any safety net

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
sure you're making $80k, but WHAT IF YOU DIED?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

white collar workers are much, much better protected against a sequence of unlucky breaks than average americans

for now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

sure you're making $80k, but WHAT IF YOU DIED?

as a computer toucher, your employer even covers this

average americans get death benefits from the federal government. better than nothing, but they are usually very meager.

as a fancy software weenie, your private employer typically has a very generous group life insurance plan. so when you die your family is taken care of to a much better extent than the government plan alone would allow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

well no one can see the loving future, pollyanna. (jesus what a username/post combo)

you can also talk about european social democracy on a "for now" basis. what if their politics grow even more horrible and toxic than today?

you can talk this way but it's not very productive since you can't plan a life around the collapse of institutions

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes

this is not the same as “immune”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as another counterpoint to this thread:

my wife can pull more than I do some years, has better rights and representation, and has a much nicer interview process

also a likely more diverse workforce

the only downside she has vs my mode of employment is fewer prospective firms to work for, but she can pretty much walk into a job in any of them and the worst thing she'd have to deal with on any regular basis is pretty vanilla workplace politics for which she often has real recourse

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
basically working in a field with standards and unions owns is what I'm saying

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raminasi posted:

yes

this is not the same as “immune”

well europeans with "generous" social safety nets aren't "immune" to trouble, either. you lose your fancy job in denmark, you might lose your house -- just like the united states. unemployment benefits are capped -- just like the united states.

the point of all of this is that being a computer toucher in the united states is a very, very fine situation. the equal or superior to similar jobs in countries with better standards of living for ordinary people

being a computer toucher means your money and employer and the government all protect you to a better extent than regular joes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
should i send a thank-you-for-the-interview-note mentioning that i realize i messed up in this couple of places in the code or should i just let it be

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

lancemantis posted:

basically working in a field with standards and unions owns is what I'm saying

this sounds cool!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

should i send a thank-you-for-the-interview-note mentioning that i realize i messed up in this couple of places in the code or should i just let it be

doesn't hurt to send a note but i wouldn't mention awkward mistakes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition here's a good example of the kind of code you should be producing during interview questions

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://aphyr.com/posts/341-hexing-the-technical-interview

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

lol this owns

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's great

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just got sent a technical test which had zero overlap with the job ad or my cv. It wasn't even a bad test, short with no algorithms bullshit, it was just for a completely different job!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
thats because the requirements of the project you'd be working on changed between now and the last time you talked to them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

thats because the requirements of the project you'd be working on changed between now and the last time you talked to them

Maybe if I apply again next week it'll be a cool project instead of boring enterprise data app 30.4

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I'm currently interviewing with Google and it's been a horrible experience. It seems like their recruiters / engineers / managers are constantly busy so every time I have to schedule an interview, it takes a couple of days for the recruiter to get back to me, and then a couple more days to find a date/time that fit, which is nearly always a week or two out. So far, I've had to go through one recruiter call, one technical pre-screen, one onsite (w/ four interviewers), one follow-up technical, and now I'm being asked to schedule another follow-up technical interview. At this point, I don't even care if I'm rejected - I just want it to be over with. Being in job limbo is killing me emotionally. I stopped practicing LeetCode questions because I wanted to know whether I got accepted/rejected before continuing, but now I'm thinking I've wasted precious studying time. If the company wasn't Google, I'd have told the recruiter the recruiter that I'm no longer interested a while ago.

Finally, the worst part is that every time the recruiter has an update, she will send an ambiguous email saying she has feedback for me so I should call her, and then not be available when I try to call her. Like, just loving tell me what happened because the suspense sucks.

ProSlayer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 5, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ProSlayer posted:

I'm currently interviewing with Google and it's been a horrible experience. It seems like their recruiters / engineers / managers are constantly busy so every time I have to schedule an interview, it takes a couple of days for the recruiter to get back to me, and then a couple more days to find a date/time that fit, which is nearly always a week or two out. So far, I've had to go through one recruiter call, one technical pre-screen, one onsite (w/ four interviewers), one follow-up technical, and now I'm being asked to schedule another follow-up technical interview. At this point, I don't even care if I'm rejected - I just want it to be over with. Being in job limbo is killing me emotionally. I stopped practicing LeetCode questions because I wanted to know whether I got accepted/rejected before continuing, but now I'm thinking I've wasted precious studying time. If the company wasn't Google, I'd have told the recruiter the recruiter that I'm no longer interested a while ago.

Finally, the worst part is that every time the recruiter has an update, she will send an ambiguous email saying she has feedback for me so I should call her, and then not be available when I try to call her. Like, just loving tell me what happened because the suspense sucks.

this was exactly my experience with google

they sent me a very polite rejection note after several failed re-schedulings... and about three months after i had accepted another offer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

New pro strategy, give the active take home assignments you get from other companies to people who are interviewing at your current company, and then submit the good ones back upstream

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the pros just ship their RSA token to china

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

JawnV6 posted:

the pros just ship their RSA token to china

somebody at one of my former employers actually did this by pointing a webcam at his rsa token. big public bank too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

New pro strategy, give the active take home assignments you get from other companies to people who are interviewing at your current company, and then submit the good ones back upstream

if i could hire anyone good then maybe i wouldn't be looking for a new job lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EnergizerFellow posted:

somebody at one of my former employers actually did this by pointing a webcam at his rsa token. big public bank too.

every consulting firm on earth does this

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every consulting firm on earth does this

true, but a bit different when it's some rando back office fte doing it in regulated finance.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EnergizerFellow posted:

true, but a bit different when it's some rando back office fte doing it in regulated finance.

where do you think consultants make their money

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nbsd when we aregued before about paying candidates to do coding projects i think maybe we had very different coding projects in mind. "solve this small problem using a language you've coded in for years" vs. "build a hosted solution using AWS services that weren't mentioned until now, while following all best practices"

(the latter is the one I just got)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

nbsd when we aregued before about paying candidates to do coding projects i think maybe we had very different coding projects in mind. "solve this small problem using a language you've coded in for years" vs. "build a hosted solution using AWS services that weren't mentioned until now, while following all best practices"

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

sounds like a coding challenge you should tell them to shove up their collective asses

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my last place had a take home of 'write some code that simulates an elevator'

it worked p well in terms of providing a code sample and was actually pretty neat in terms of being as complicated as you wanted it to be

and also in terms of being pretty clearly not a real project that they were just outsourcing to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
This company’s def not trying to get production work out of me. the project is probably simple for the kind of omnitechnological rockstar that recruiters in the bay expect everyone to be. But it is atypically demanding and drat if I’m not going to write an invoice for the aws fees at least