Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

you realize that if they do zen2 with integrated GPU, it would either need to be a custom respin or put the iGPU on the I/O chip? If it is a respin I doubt it would be on their list yet. If it were on the I/O that means 14nm, so cramming a RX56½ and the zen2 chip in one package seems difficult.

1/4 of Rome's IO die with 20CUs works out to just ~200mm2, the bigger issue is feeding the iGPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Icept posted:

Anyone think AMD is going to follow Intels footsteps and do a Ryzen 9 this next generation?

They should just go full ham and release Ryzen 11, or 11.01 / 11+, since we're apparently back to :awesome: 90s marketing

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NewFatMike posted:

If this is real :shepspends:

That 20CU 8C/16T looks loving bonkers for some VFIO stuff. I desperately want that 3920X. 32C/64T at 5GHz inspires some deeply horny thoughts.

This is wank material for everyone other than Intel. But it can only be taken with an ocean of salt. it's just TOO good.

eames
May 9, 2009

I really hope next-gen Vega consumer cards support SR-IOV because I have absolutely no idea what I'd do with all these cores other than virtualizing multiple OSes on one computer. :shrug:

e: typo

eames fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 3, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

I really hope next-gen Vega consumer carts support SR-IOV because I have absolutely no idea what I'd do with all these cores other than virtualizing multiple OSes on one computer. :shrug:

That's my hope, get a beefy $400 graphics card and AFK missions and quests in various games in a half dozen potato-mode VMs. Or do really cool accelerated video over RDP without needing to shell for a headless compute card.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really hope that Ryzen 5 3600 is real
8c/16t at $170 is nuts

ufarn
May 30, 2009
With better AVX performance, it's going to be a beast, if that core count holds up.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 3, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

That 20CU 8C/16T looks loving bonkers for some VFIO stuff. I desperately want that 3920X. 32C/64T at 5GHz inspires some deeply horny thoughts.

That product stack :allbuttons:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

NewFatMike posted:

3700x oc to 5ghz and i will jump all over that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
All those '?' at the end for TR. Its like viewing the stats for a final boss.

So uhh...3800x Black is a mega roided up 2950x for like half the price...on AM4???

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Duron is...back? That alone is too good to be true TBH, as that'd mean AMD marketing pulled their head out their rear end.

My issues are the two 28nm CPUs (why? This would have to be OEM exclusive because they're absolutely trounced by the theoretical Duron 300GE for +5$, also lol at those clockspeeds!), the fact the Athlons and Durons are not locked parts (maybe AMD said gently caress it now that MSI hosed up?), complete lack of 6 core parts (lmao, what?), the insanity of a 1280 CU Navi iGPU (without a fast framebuffer what the gently caress is even the point?), the oddity that is the 3600G (what is the point of disabling hyperthreading?) and the insane binning going on (X-class cpus are noticably faster now, not just slightly faster).

Also Ryzen 9 but that's not impossible to believe when Intel just went i9.

EDIT: Also dat Athlon 340GE. Exact same price as the Athlon 200GE, yet unlocked and 3 times the compute units. Absolute slaughter on the low end.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 3, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It seems unlikely that we will see a 16C that can hit a typical turbo of 4.9GHz, a thing that currently does not exist for any price, for $500. If AMD is clocking chips that high I'd expect to see the 8C at least at $350, probably higher, and the 16C double that.

It seems really unlikely that we will see a 64-core Threadripper running at 5GHz base, a thing that is so far off the map currently as to be laughable, for any price let alone the approximate price of the current 4.2GHz 32-core.

e: even if with the die shrink they could get from 4.2 to 5.0 without increasing power consumption you're talking about doubling core count in a chip that already has a 250W TDP so good luck running that without a 360mm AIO or a custom loop.

e2: also yeah why would they entirely axe 6-cores? In general this chart seems out there on core counts, most people don't really have a good use for 8 yet and they're supposedly going to make 16 the new standard?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 3, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Duron is...back? That alone is too good to be true TBH, as that'd mean AMD marketing pulled their head out their rear end.

My issues are the two 28nm CPUs (why? This would have to be OEM exclusive because they're absolutely trounced by the theoretical Duron 300GE for +5$, also lol at those clockspeeds!), the fact the Athlons and Durons are not locked parts (maybe AMD said gently caress it now that MSI hosed up?), complete lack of 6 core parts (lmao, what?), the insanity of a 1280 CU Navi iGPU (without a fast framebuffer what the gently caress is even the point?), the oddity that is the 3600G (what is the point of disabling hyperthreading?) and the insane binning going on (X-class cpus are noticably faster now, not just slightly faster).

EDIT: Also dat Athlon 340GE. Exact same price as the Athlon 200GE, yet unlocked and 3 times the compute units. Absolute slaughter on the low end.

28nm might be glofo wafer agreement chip that they dump next to the ET atari cartridges.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Have I said how much I like this thread ripper?

MacOS VM:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

e2: also yeah why would they entirely axe 6-cores? In general this chart seems out there on core counts, most people don't really have a good use for 8 yet and they're supposedly going to make 16 the new standard?

Yeah, if AMD is bringing 16c/32t parts to AM4 I would expect them to slot above the current products and overlap with low-end TR somewhat.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

NewFatMike posted:

I call bullshit. No business person would copy the contents of a perfectly good excel file to the main email body. Case closed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If AMD corporate spreadsheets look like that, I'm buying all the AMD stock.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

karoshi posted:

I call bullshit. No business person would copy the contents of a perfectly good excel file to the main email body. Case closed.

What if I use PROC PRINT and ODS to display SAS data sets directly into an email?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
48c/96t at 5.0ghz? Yeah I’m not holding my breath

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

Maybe with phase change cooling? :haw:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Deuce posted:

Not holding my breath but if it's only one core turbo per chiplet, why not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, if a customer wants it, they'll build it. Or they *can* build it, with the chiplet design and IO die separate, they can rope in the semi-custom guys into the loop.

Rory Read was actually secretly a loving genius. That's not a sentence I ever thought I'd type.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The pricing and crazy number of different SKUs and naming schemes is what makes me skeptical as well.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MaxxBot posted:

The pricing and crazy number of different SKUs and naming schemes is what makes me skeptical as well.

Yeah it’s def bs. Duron and Black Editions lol. Also I doubt AMD even has any of those clocks remotely dialed in for Zen2 yet, let alone a whole dang stack.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Not holding my breath but if it's only one core turbo per chiplet, why not.

The all core base is 4.5Ghz though, and on a 48C/96T chip? Lmao, that's fantasy. Like, 5.0Ghz turbo is within reason but a lot of these base clocks for core count are absurd. A 20CU APU? On dual channel DDR4? Are we loving serious? Even if they have the general idea right, with the top half of the stack on 7nm and APU plus bottom on 12nm, the whole chart reads like the wildest red team fantasy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

EmpyreanFlux posted:

wargames posted:

28nm might be glofo wafer agreement chip that they dump next to the ET atari cartridges.

actually i can think of a use case, new rasberry pie type chips for the micro super low power cpus?

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The note at the bottom that says something about threadripper being dual socket seems odd too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I don't care about number of cores and think that roadmap as a whole looks pretty fake, but if they can actually deliver those clockspeeds even if core count remains unchanged, I might be getting a 3700x or even the 3800x if it exists and reaches 5ghz boost :)

Seems a bit too good to be true, though

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wargames posted:

actually i can think of a use case, new rasberry pie type chips for the micro super low power cpus?

4.6Ghz, 28nm, Construction Cores, super low power.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looking at the picture with fresh eyes, it does look a little too good to be true. Still hoping for 32C/64T upgrade next year.

ratbert90 posted:

Have I said how much I like this thread ripper?

MacOS VM:

How did you get/is it running? I've been wanting to set up a Mac VM for a while. Equal parts for fun and for work stuff.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I mean the odds are pretty good for a reasonably priced 32-core TR but I don't know about 5GHz.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Looking at the picture with fresh eyes, it does look a little too good to be true. Still hoping for 32C/64T upgrade next year.

How did you get/is it running? I've been wanting to set up a Mac VM for a while. Equal parts for fun and for work stuff.

I have two RX560's (MSI works out of the box in MacOS, my XFX causes the VM to reboot.)

I followed this guide: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
The VM is set to auto-login and start synergy when started. All I have to do is switch inputs on my 3rd monitor. :v:

There isn't any limitations as far as I can see. Far easier to get up and running, I can update like normal, and everything works.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Lmao at anyone giving that amateur hour fabrication any credence whatsoever. It's bullshit and you all know it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2019 will bring a single core, 500mhz Ryzen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

2019 will bring a single core, 500mhz Ryzen
Geode!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Lmao at anyone giving that amateur hour fabrication any credence whatsoever. It's bullshit and you all know it.

Sometimes it's nice to daydream about winning the lottery.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Oh, well in that case

Ryzen 4700X 8/16 6GHz boost* $299.99

*non-exotic cooling (480mm chiller)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

EmpyreanFlux posted:

4.6Ghz, 28nm, Construction Cores, super low power.

i mean the ghz is off for a super low power cpu but the raspberry pi 3 b+ has hit the limit of the 40nm process next process is what 32 or 28nm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What constitutes exotic cooling