Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Last Chance posted:

but isnt that just how hardware goes over time? "enterprise grade" tech eventually gets cheap enough to land in the consumer market?

if an ssd helps someone edit their dumb video or song, or play their vidya considerably faster its probably worth it to them

look at you, quoting stymie in earnest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Stymie posted:

i don't hate them (any more than tech in general), i just recognize that they're a marketing gimmick to sell enterprise-grade hardware to prosumers

so nobody needs ssds a platter drive is good enuf, ok got it :psyduck:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

have you used one? it's infuriating

I haven't used a mac with a spinner in it in a long time.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

the "edge case" is not wanting to spend more than $1200 on a computer.

you’re supposed to spend three months salary on an engagement ring, and a computer is going to be a far more important part of your life than that. if you make less than $400/mo then ok sure but in that case I’m gonna go out on a limb and say probably you are not apple’s target market

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Binary Badger posted:

yep, provided you don't buy a cheap, low-spec hdd it will equal an ssd in performance

yospos, like most prosumers, are taken in by the allure of more money = better than

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
edge case is what they should have called that guys Kumputer Kloset

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

you’re supposed to spend three months salary on an engagement ring, and a computer is going to be a far more important part of your life than that. if you make less than $400/mo then ok sure but in that case I’m gonna go out on a limb and say probably you are not apple’s target market

i paid a local artist $200 to hand-make my wife’s engagement ring, seems way cooler than spending an arbitrarily enormous amount of money on a diamond some child slave dug out of a rock

sent from my conflict mineral iphone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the "three months salary" thing is literally an invention of a criminal syndicate.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my 2016 macbook has had a lovely keyboard since i got it. a few months ago the display started loving up. i took it into the apple store and they replaced the keyboard, battery, and display for $0. it was returned to me in 4 days, better than new.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Weedle posted:

i paid a local artist $200 to hand-make my wife’s engagement ring, seems way cooler than spending an arbitrarily enormous amount of money on a diamond some child slave dug out of a rock

i bought my wife a child slave as an engagement present

it was considerably cheaper than the ring

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Soricidus posted:

you’re supposed to spend three months salary on an engagement ring

if you believe this, it automatically disqualifies any other opinion you have about how people should spend their money or what constitutes "value" in a product

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
wow I didn’t exoect my dumb “yosposter thinks computers are more important than relationships” joke to attract quite so many earnest responses

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Soricidus posted:

wow I didn’t exoect my dumb “yosposter thinks computers are more important than relationships” joke to attract quite so many earnest responses

The value of your engagement ring doesn't equal the value of your relationship.

Binary Badger posted:

Platter drives are silly enterprise tech. Stick to floppies.

graph posted:

i bought a used late 2011 i7 imac and stuffed an ssd and max ram in there for $300 to replace my almost-completely-broken barebones 2009

its heck of fast

There's no way a late 2011 Imac (or, literally any other Imac) is "heck of fast". Or, only for very slow definitions of "fast".

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 4, 2018

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert posted:

ah, thank you for explaining. allow me to respond in kind:

Lambert posted:

Platter drives are silly enterprise tech. Stick to floppies.

Floppies are slow and have very limited capacity.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Soricidus posted:

Floppies are slow and have very limited capacity.

:wrong:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Zip disk

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
this review style is maybe the worst i’ve seen in a while, thanks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

the "three months salary" thing is literally an invention of a criminal syndicate.

whenever i hear people parroting that poo poo i want to insert a dvd of blood diamonds into them anally

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it's the best way to enjoy it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it's really bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

your monitor, etc. etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

at least those awful reviews with the clickbaity titles and poster images make them easy to block in the feed

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Weedle posted:

sent from my conflict mineral iphone

my ring is lab grown black diamonds and I luv it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
itt stymie thinks consumer class ssds are enterprise hardware

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well, i imagine the consumer-marketed versions are the versions that aren't fully enterprise-rated but they don't want to just throw away since they can sell them to prosumer suckers for a mint

Weedle
May 31, 2006

syscall girl posted:

whenever i hear people parroting that poo poo i want to insert a dvd of blood diamonds into them anally

that is honestly one of the worst movies i have ever seen in my life. however i did like that leo’s journey of redemption and self-improvement culminated in mowing down a couple dozen child soldiers

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i bought a used late 2011 i7 imac and stuffed an ssd and max ram in there for $300 to replace my almost-completely-broken barebones 2009

its heck of fast

lol no officially supported mojave for you

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

lol no officially supported mojave for you

jokes on them i'm stuck on el crap

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
smdh why? you can run weed mountain on that thing.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Soricidus posted:

this thread is about making fun of people who are suckers for marketing tricks, if you fall for apple's you'll probably fall for de beers', they've been at it for much longer

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

it used to be safe to recommend almost any apple product in its default configuration (except for paltry ram quantities but that used to be user serviceable)

now there are so many asterisks and caveats it's just like buying a pc, great job tim

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Apple today launched a new online store in the U.S. that's designed to provide a 10 percent discount on select products for both activity military and veterans, along with members of their households.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
glad to see timb is supporting our forever war

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

rule 36

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Native Instruments :haw:

coke
Jul 12, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

if we're going to split that hair, it's not like "reset to factory settings" is any less of a hassle. i had to make sure all of my duo and google authenticator 2-factor data would restore and make sure i had a backup plans for those accounts just in case

it's inexcusable that it's necessary to reset your phone to fix an audio bug just because apple decided to delay the release of the fix to ios 12.0
Going a few pages back.

Delta update, OTA updates or update by clicking the 'check for updates' button in the phone sometimes break things and should be avoided.

It's better to do iOS updates by plugging the phone into itunes and click on 'check for updates' and let it download the full ios firmware file and update from there.
This also solves the problem of the idiotic design where ios wont let user update their device if the device is almost full.

Also similar to good old windows back in the days, it's better to do a full reinstall every year at each major iOS release and not restore from backup, by putting the iphone into DFU mode then shift/command + restore button with the full ipsw firmware file. This cleans out the crud over the past 12 months and start anew.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. what the gently caress is this voodoo hokum?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tcm for your iphone

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it's the best case sure but you don't have to do it and you'll be fine without.

i reinstall windows at every major win10 point release becasue my brain is stuck in win98 thinking, same with macos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

be sure not to do it under a waning moon, or while jupiter is in the house of sagittarius, always face due north and be sure to place a ring of salt around your pc