Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Private Division is a division of 2K that exists specifically so they can fund and publish "high-end indie titles", basically, titles with a budget that's on the upper end of AA, from independent developers (which Obsidian was until a little while ago), on digital platforms and with a price point lower than $60. They also let the developers they work with retain the rights to the original IP they're developing, though Private Division gets the rights to publish the first sequel, IIRC, or something along those lines.

Obsidian is working with them on the project they're announcing at The Game Awards, and it was specifically revealed that the project Private Division is funding is the one headed by Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain.

That's good to hear. I mean, that still means that unfortunately we know nothing other than who's fronting the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

If you take traps out of the game and only have them in scripted encounters then the Mechanics skill has no gameplay benefit (compare to making potions, explosives, sneaking etc) so you have to make one up. Maybe you can keep your weapons sharp and get a little boost that way? Now players feels obliged to spec towards that 5% damage boost or whatever.

Ok then just take the skill out entirely and deal with traps in scripted interactions with Perception or Dexterity. Welp, now players are obliged to build their characters a certain way or bring a certain companion everywhere.

Why not make it so any character can disarm these traps? Then why are they in the game at all? Better make a skill to cover disarming traps.
Nobody is saying that there's a perfect example, but you could easily roll Mechanics and Explosives together into one skill. And I don't think all traps should go: I like some of the ones in combat encounters that the enemies are using to cover a route to archers, for instance.

e: vvvv Yeah basically. Traps in combat encounters: good. Traps in scripted encounters: good. Traps in general dungeoneering: not good. Things like the Sigils are alright because they aren't as much of a time/skill sink.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 3, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My problem with traps is there's no penalty at all for even hitting them because resting is now unlimited. So why even bother? They're just a nuisance.

Of course that's all they were in Poe1 too since if you did step on one you'd probably just reload. I maintain that the best way to incorporate traps would be to have them be a part of fight encounters somehow. Those are the only traps that are actually meaningful because any out of combat traps can be resolved by reloading once you know they're there and/or just springing them all and resting afterwards.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, it's not an RPG if it doesn't have trap options

edit: punning aside, I mean that somewhat seriously. I think a "dungeon crawler" game needs to have traps in the dungeon or it's not a "dungeon crawler," it's something else. Maybe something better! But complaining about traps in this game is just dumb because it's a legacy decision and this was a kickstarter/fig nostalgia-funded series, sooo if we're gonna go down that road there are infinite numbers of better targets to complain about (RtwP instead of turn based, class based, etc.) It amounts to a complaint that PoE isn't a different game.

By this logic all criticism is dumb because it amounts to a complaint that [game] isn't a different game. Rather, the implicit argument being made here is that certain 'old-school game' markers (e.g. traps) are not worth the corresponding cost (e.g. pixelbitching/skill tax), especially when there are already lots of existing 'old-school game' markers (e.g. top-down view, painted 2d backgrounds, paperdoll inventory, generic fantasy setting etc.) that convey that 'Infinity Engine' feel either without major drawbacks or even to the benefit of play experience.

Traps-as-is, and related subsystems like skills or incremental XP gain, generally either don't serve a purpose beyond nostalgia-bait or have design purposes for a different style of game than PoE. Neither PoE game is really a 'dungeon crawler' as such, for example - progression is moving along a linear critical path, plot quest by plot quest, in a game world dominated by friendly or neutral spaces. Exploration and attrition in a hostile environment are not particularly relevant to PoE gameplay because dungeon-type spaces just aren't important; conquering dungeons (and their traps, their monsters, their loot) is a by-product of completing quests and side-quests (if the quest even involves a dungeon at all) rather than the way by which you progress and finish the game.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think I prefer the Logical Fallacies Chud to trapchat.

Excited for FORGOTTEN SANCTUM

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Traps sucked in the old infinity engine games too. I'm a brokebrained baldur's gate solo replayer and I don't even bother with durlag's tower anymore because the floor traps are so goddamn tedious without a thief. Shame too because the scripted traps and puzzles there are actually really good!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DrPop posted:

Excited for FORGOTTEN SANCTUM

I would be but because of Ropekid's pernicious influence I'm entirely distracted by the new Battle Brothers DLC right now

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Running around neketaka is a chore with my bizarrely long load times.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

andrew smash posted:

Traps sucked in the old infinity engine games too. I'm a brokebrained baldur's gate solo replayer and I don't even bother with durlag's tower anymore because the floor traps are so goddamn tedious without a thief. Shame too because the scripted traps and puzzles there are actually really good!

I'll never forget the Petrify trap in the ol' forgotten temple under the Athkalta sewers. A very surprising Game Over screen.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Raygereio posted:

I've played tabletop dungeon crawlers for almost 20 years and never used the lame "enter new room - search for traps - enter new room - repeat" routine in my own games. And none of my players ever thought of it as something other then a dungeon crawler.

Traps don't define a dungeon crawler. In the same way that vancian spellcasting doesn't define a wizard. We survived spells being changed to per-encounter. We'll survive the removal of traps as a pointless skill-tax. Traps as puzzles or setpieces are cool though and can add something to the game.

I don't have as much experience, but this is definitely true. Similar to how the best traps in these games are the scripted/CYOA ones, the best tabletop traps aren't "depression tile that opens a spike pit" they're "weird statuette that shoots fireballs, and rather than disarm it the party pries the thing loose and rigs up a primitive bazooka." Sadly, the latter kind of outside-the-box thinking really isn't possible in a CRPG.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I don't have as much experience, but this is definitely true. Similar to how the best traps in these games are the scripted/CYOA ones, the best tabletop traps aren't "depression tile that opens a spike pit" they're "weird statuette that shoots fireballs, and rather than disarm it the party pries the thing loose and rigs up a primitive bazooka." Sadly, the latter kind of outside-the-box thinking really isn't possible in a CRPG.

Have enemies in the room and kite them into the trap, bingo bango. Better designed encounters to work around traps like that would work for me.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Big Mad Drongo posted:

In BG2 in the first dungeon you could loot wands from magic traps.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lt. Danger posted:

By this logic all criticism is dumb because it amounts to a complaint that [game] isn't a different game. Rather, the implicit argument being made here is that certain 'old-school game' markers (e.g. traps) are not worth the corresponding cost (e.g. pixelbitching/skill tax), especially when there are already lots of existing 'old-school game' markers (e.g. top-down view, painted 2d backgrounds, paperdoll inventory, generic fantasy setting etc.) that convey that 'Infinity Engine' feel either without major drawbacks or even to the benefit of play experience.

Traps-as-is, and related subsystems like skills or incremental XP gain, generally either don't serve a purpose beyond nostalgia-bait or have design purposes for a different style of game than PoE. Neither PoE game is really a 'dungeon crawler' as such, for example - progression is moving along a linear critical path, plot quest by plot quest, in a game world dominated by friendly or neutral spaces. Exploration and attrition in a hostile environment are not particularly relevant to PoE gameplay because dungeon-type spaces just aren't important; conquering dungeons (and their traps, their monsters, their loot) is a by-product of completing quests and side-quests (if the quest even involves a dungeon at all) rather than the way by which you progress and finish the game.

The game attempts to have dungeon crawling sections, though, and the mechanics designed for it actually work fairly well. Stretching your vancian spell list over 2 or 3 levels of dungeon is actually cool.

Say no to savescumming, it will improve every game you play.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Savescumming is an implicit game mechanic and designers must design for it. In PoE it defaults to on and you can set a flag to turn it off.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

User posted:

Savescumming is an implicit game mechanic and designers must design for it. In PoE it defaults to on and you can set a flag to turn it off.

See Shadow Tactics for the best implementation of this philosophy (which I wholeheartedly agree with).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Savescumming is a terrible term, who cares how people play their single player game?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Oasx posted:

Savescumming is a terrible term, who cares how people play their single player game?

Everybody cares. If you have infinite save/load ability then many chance-based mechanics are moot. E.g. IIRC you can't save in a middle of a fight in PoE just as in IE games thus it doesn't make much sense to save scum through a game - there's a chance that you'll have 5 critical hits in a row but it's minuscule. You can't save after every critical hit and thus bruteforce your way. But with other mechanics that benefit from your knowledge or are based on chance savescumming is an important part of it.

In, say, Skyrim you have a steal chance which you can abuse by savescumming - but it's somewhat compensated by having skill-based hard limits on what you can steal and if you're caught it's not the end of the world. But traps that just lay there in a middle of a room are always a nuisance in a game like that, it just checks your save/load skills. Getting hit by a trap doesn't feel like a wrong choice you're paying for, it feels like a gotcha from a developer. Another way to do it would be adding traps right into arena - maybe enemies activate them when they see you or throw some sort of magical traps at the ground. But I realize that would overcomplicate thing. More mechanical games like Wizardry had you find trapped chests right after the combat and to savescum it you'd have to redo combat.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

User posted:

POE definitely shouldn't allow save anywhere, it invalidates half of the mechanics.

There also needs to be a middle ground between save anywhere and iron man mode, which is stupidly extreme in a 40+ hour rpg.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I find it fascinating that some people want to prevent others to "savescum" because they themselves refuse to do it. Like, is your fun lower if you know somebody else will beat the game with infinite saves while you decide to play on Iron Man? Who cares. Have your fun and let the other have theirs. You'll even get an achievement they won't, so you'll feel special and the rest of the world will know you are so (if you need external validation of your videyagames achievements because you're that kind of person).

That being said, I beat the game on Triple Crown (+ permanent death and restricted stash) so I'm better than all of you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Furism posted:

I find it fascinating that some people want to prevent others to "savescum" because they themselves refuse to do it. Like, is your fun lower if you know somebody else will beat the game with infinite saves while you decide to play on Iron Man? Who cares. Have your fun and let the other have theirs. You'll even get an achievement they won't, so you'll feel special and the rest of the world will know you are so (if you need external validation of your videyagames achievements because you're that kind of person).

It's not about feeling special. It's about mechanics that assume that you're playing on Iron Man and turn in a boring irritation if you aren't.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
h,as anyone modded the game yet to make modwyr sound like taiga from toradora or vegeat from dragonball z

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Just lol if you don’t have an internally developed moral code for when it is or isn’t right to reload

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Starks posted:

Just lol if you don’t have an internally developed moral code for when it is or isn’t right to reload

I am an old man with a job and only a limited amount of time

I'll savescum at the drop of a penny and nothing anyone says can stop me

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Amethyst posted:

There also needs to be a middle ground between save anywhere and iron man mode, which is stupidly extreme in a 40+ hour rpg.

If you think Iron Man mode is too extreme, then it's not for you.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Starks posted:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lets compare our moral codes

-No reload if you select wrong option in CYOA segments
-No reload if you hit a trap
-Only load back before a fight if you can't figure out a way to win it in like 5 tries

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The only time I reload is if a party member dies.

As in permanent death, not just getting knocked out.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Reflexively mash the Quicksave key every few seconds. Reload if you hit a trap. Reload if someone gets injured in a fight. Reload if your boat gets dinged up too bad before boarding. Reload if you get caught stealing. Reload if your crew beats you at gambling. Savescum every searchable loot node on the world map until you get ideal results. Spend half an hour reloading before every branch of a dialogue tree just to see what its like. Make a separate, carefully labeled save every time you make a new decision, just in case you need to roll back to 20 hours ago. Sometimes, I like to reload a save a few times in a row just to feel something, anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Make a separate, carefully labeled save every time you make a new decision, just in case you need to roll back to 20 hours ago.

I mean this actually saved me from having to completely restart after hitting a bug in New Vegas that broke the main quest, so.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I reload only when I accidentally gain disposition with Aloth

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I need an app that makes a continuous rolling save so I can "rewind" my whole playthrough like it was a movie, just YRRRRRRP back to the exact point things went non optimal

. Savescum every searchable loot node on the world map until you get ideal results.

Realistically once you've done this enough to get the rare drops you don't have to reload the rest of them

Amethyst posted:

POE definitely shouldn't allow save anywhere, it invalidates half of the mechanics.

any game that takes more than an hour to play needs save anywhere because who the gently caress has time

The new Bard's Tale IV game tried implementing a save point system and people got so goddam furious I think it sold all of five total copies
(FWIW I actually kinda like it, especially the soundtrack which is the best video game soundtrack since Cuphead. They just added save-anywhere mode in a patch)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 4, 2018

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone know what race/gender/background/class to pick for 2 for maximum story? Im wondering if a deadfire former noble for example leads to anything being easier to get.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Iretep posted:

Anyone know what race/gender/background/class to pick for 2 for maximum story? Im wondering if a deadfire former noble for example leads to anything being easier to get.

Just pick whatever you want

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Iretep posted:

https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options

Go nuts, my dude.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Octo1 posted:

Just pick whatever you want

no

thanks

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Furism posted:

That being said, I beat the game on Triple Crown (+ permanent death and restricted stash) so I'm better than all of you.

i think the idea is that there's bigger implications for the underlying design of the game, depending on whether or not you expect players to be able to save/load at will, and that can then impact how the game itself is produced, and so if you are someone that hates being able to save/load everywhere at any time, then a game that's design to accommodate that fact will include elements that you don't enjoy, and those elements might not need to have been included if the developers didn't allow people to freely save/load in the first place.

so it's not so much "you're playing it wrong" as it is "by even allowing free save/load to exist, the developers have to include multiple extra considerations to account for it, and i find these extra considerations to be unfun/boring/etc, and they wouldn't be in the game if free save/load wasn't a mechanic; ergo a game with free save/load is inherently less fun than a game that does not allow it"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

looks like a Female/Island Aumaua/Aristocrat/Priest of Magran is going to get an extremely large number of special dialogue options

at the same time, a lot of the special dialogue doesn't seem to lead to anything significant or different. like, the conversation will be:

A: "Hey Watcher, have you heard of Goobledegack?"
1. No, what's Goobledegack? (GOTO NPC LINE B)
2. Yes, I've heard of it. (GOTO NPC LINE C)
3. [Aristocrat] That's the horrid drug that poor people use right? (GOTO NPC LINE C)
4. [Priest of Magran] Only those that are not prepared for life's trials need Goobledegack. (GOTO NPC LINE C)
5. [Say Nothing] (GOTO NPC LINE C)

so you're getting a little flavor in how you respond to the question, but it doesn't actually change anything or give you access to something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do anyway.

IIRC the dispositions your character accumulates in game, or the way you solve other quests, have more opportunities to change how conversations play out (i.e. you get a reputation for solving problems with violence, eventually you can avoid combat encounters by threatening to kill everyone in the conversation before combat).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Iretep posted:

no

thanks

The only thing I will note is that the checks for 'Ghost Heart' Ranger subclass actually are mostly checking to remove the normal Ranger interjection since a bunch of the unique Ranger dialogue has you use your Pet to intimidate or interact and their pet is dead.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Reflexively mash the Quicksave key every few seconds. Reload if you hit a trap. Reload if someone gets injured in a fight. Reload if your boat gets dinged up too bad before boarding. Reload if you get caught stealing. Reload if your crew beats you at gambling. Savescum every searchable loot node on the world map until you get ideal results. Spend half an hour reloading before every branch of a dialogue tree just to see what its like. Make a separate, carefully labeled save every time you make a new decision, just in case you need to roll back to 20 hours ago. Sometimes, I like to reload a save a few times in a row just to feel something, anything.

Reload when a party member I like gets too mad over a decision I make. Making Eder upset hurts too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Eder being mad at me for stealing from the dawnstars convinced me to abandon my evil run within 5 minutes of starting it. :(