Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

It turns out one of my coworkers just has a stockpile of kailh box whites he'll let me borrow so I got the GMMK board that lets you change switches without soldering, let's see how this goes :confuoot:

Both of those are good op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
You want a Topre.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Hello keyboard thread

I'm on the lookout for a new keyboard, and I need some input.

To narrow down the search a bit:
  • I think i've settled on a TKL. I rarely use the keypad, and I have some shoulder/neck issues in my mousing arm which surely don't get better from having the mouse further to the right.
  • No need for PS/2, USB is fine. No need for wireless.
  • Danish layout would be ideal, but I could settle for Nordic. ISO style enter key tho.
  • I have no idea about switches. I work in an office and I would like to keep the noise reasonable. I used to rock two IBM Model Ms and that was a bit too loud and activation force a bit too much. Very nice keyboards otherwise.
  • It'll be used for coding/sysadminning/typing. No gaming.
  • Ideally available natively in the EU, but I might be able to get one through the US.
  • No need for colors/LEDs/flashy poo poo.

The CODE keyboard from WASD seems good to me, but it's out-of-stock for the one I want/need.

Ended up getting a WASD v2 TKL in super boring black with Cherry Clears as a coworker generously accepted smuggling one home from the US for me. Will report back how it treats me.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I’m in the market for stabilizers, do people have any strong opinions on which ones are best? I’m replacing the ones currently on my keyboard, and it looks like they are PCB mounted and screwed in.

I’ve used the stabs that KBDfans sells and I’ve found that they constantly slip out of my spacebar, causing it to get tilted when I hit a specific side of it. It’s actually very frustrating!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm a fan of GMK screw in and I usually get them from deskcandy to avoid China shipping times. With a bit of Super Lube they're completely smooth and silent.

edit: I've heard some PCBs have an issue where the screw head will short something out so I usually put a bit of electrical tape over nearby contacts to be safe.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

I’ve used the stabs that KBDfans sells and I’ve found that they constantly slip out of my spacebar, causing it to get tilted when I hit a specific side of it. It’s actually very frustrating!

I've had a tab key slip off its stem constantly and was considering gluing it but then I read about the "ziploc bag trick" where you cut a small square from the bag and put it between keycap and stem, it helped a lot. It might help with your stabilizer problem.

That being said, I don't think the info pool is that deep with regards to stabilizers. Zeal PC released their own overpriced ones but they might just be rebadged GMK stabs. Lots of nerds talk about clipping + lubing stabs so they aren't rattley anymore.. doesn't seem like a big enough deal to me.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m looking to get some zealios for my to build at home keeb. My wife absolutely hates noisy switches so I’m looking to get the Zilents. How silent are they?

Cherry Browns are too noisy for her liking.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the production date for the Wooting Two keyboards is finally set, if anyone was in on their Kickstarter or pre-orders.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m looking to get some zealios for my to build at home keeb. My wife absolutely hates noisy switches so I’m looking to get the Zilents. How silent are they?

I have a set of Zilents. I liked them very much initially but that board (Melody96) is collecting dust now. But I'm not sure if that's really because of the switches - it's also a very heavy board and has SA keycaps on it, both of which I don't like in hindsight. I went back to a board with MX browns. Buy a few and put them in a sampler to see how they feel with your favorite keycaps imo.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

What sound does she dislike, are you bottoming out?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m pretty heavy handed and bottom out constantly on my work keyboard (pok3r with mx browns) which I use occaisionally at home as well. When I type fast and there’s no background noise (music, tv or kids) is when she usually notices it’s too loud for her.

I was thinking about ordering the 78g Zilents to prevent bottoming out all the time. Not sure how to retrain myself into not smashing the keys all the time. It’s a habit formed over 20ish years. I touch type with 10 fingers so I’m afraid the force used is 100% from muscle memory. My reasoning was that using really heavy switched might help with that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm confident it would. I can't not bottom out browns, but am fine with basically anything heavier... With the exception of the spacebar.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m pretty heavy handed and bottom out constantly on my work keyboard (pok3r with mx browns) which I use occaisionally at home as well. When I type fast and there’s no background noise (music, tv or kids) is when she usually notices it’s too loud for her.

I was thinking about ordering the 78g Zilents to prevent bottoming out all the time. Not sure how to retrain myself into not smashing the keys all the time. It’s a habit formed over 20ish years. I touch type with 10 fingers so I’m afraid the force used is 100% from muscle memory. My reasoning was that using really heavy switched might help with that.

I use gateron silent browns at work, same cushions as the zilents, but I can still get them clacking away by doing what you're describing (slamming them down while touch typing).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maybe just for clarification, I'm not saying that Zilents are very bad, but I am advocating to try them and possibly compare them to the corresponding Cherrys and Gaterons.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Use some good, stiff o-rings. It won't full on stop you from bottoming out if you're typing like a jackhammer, but it'll definitely help.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I keep power bottoming out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I bottom out constantly with MX Browns unless I really concentrate on not doing it, but not with Clears. I think it's the fact that the resistance ramps up quickly after the actuation point, it kind of provides a cushion to stop you doing it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

chippy posted:

I bottom out constantly with MX Browns unless I really concentrate on not doing it, but not with Clears. I think it's the fact that the resistance ramps up quickly after the actuation point, it kind of provides a cushion to stop you doing it.

That sounds exactly like what I’m doing. Zealios/zilents 78g are just a tad lighter than MX clears right?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
If you want a switch that will help stop you from bottoming out, you might want to look into Hako Royal Clear switches from Input Club. After the bump, the tension ramps up really quickly. It almost feels like the key is punching back up into my fingers. I found them a bit uncomfortable and am now rocking 67g Zilents. Those are really quiet, though, so maybe just go with the 78g ones you're considering and keep bottoming out like me. In an acrylic case on a brass plate, they're quieter than any of the other rubber membranes in my cubicle farm.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hot take, if you habitually bottom out even on heavy switches then you should just use a $20 rubber dome keyboard and pour your money into a different hobby.

(Actually I find scissor keys are pretty nice for bottom-outers, but it seems like they’re getting rare except on laptops)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My friends, as is the answer so often, Topre brings you the comfort you seek.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hot take, if you habitually bottom out even on heavy switches then you should just use a $20 rubber dome keyboard and pour your money into a different hobby.

(Actually I find scissor keys are pretty nice for bottom-outers, but it seems like they’re getting rare except on laptops)

logitech still makes the scissor k740 and it's good

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You sure the K740 is scissor keys? I've never used one, but can't find any reference to it in product descriptions and it looks like a thin-profile rubber dome (which is precisely what's become more popular the last few years in place of scissor keys, but scissor keys are way more tolerable to type on if you bottom out a lot, IMO).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My opinion is that bottoming out is bad. My browns aren't anywhere near as bad as what I deal with when it came to my reds. The reds have no feedback and it's just like BONG here's the bottom, even with some o rings it just felt bad and honestly after awhile if I'm angry typing my fingers stat to hurt.

At home my browns handle my typing like a champ but I don't want to bring the browns into the office.. I'd get stares.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Eric the Mauve posted:

You sure the K740 is scissor keys? I've never used one, but can't find any reference to it in product descriptions and it looks like a thin-profile rubber dome (which is precisely what's become more popular the last few years in place of scissor keys, but scissor keys are way more tolerable to type on if you bottom out a lot, IMO).

you're probably right, but it has minimal rubbery feel imo. I also wish scissor keys would become trendy tho

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

emdash posted:

you're probably right, but it has minimal rubbery feel imo. I also wish scissor keys would become trendy tho

me breaking my scissor switch keyboard that I had for 12 or so years was what brought me into this money pit of a hobby

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm heavy handed on the keyboard, but mx clears and now 78g zealios have helped a lot. My new massdrop CTRL seems louder with the zealios though because there's pinging echoing through the keyboard body or something.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

tater_salad posted:

My opinion is that bottoming out is bad. My browns aren't anywhere near as bad as what I deal with when it came to my reds. The reds have no feedback and it's just like BONG here's the bottom, even with some o rings it just felt bad and honestly after awhile if I'm angry typing my fingers stat to hurt.
I never used reds, but had the linear blacks ... only switches I abjectly hated. Just felt like mushy poo poo. I really need that activation point. I can totally understand why people would want them, but just definitely not for me. I bought them as "gaming" switches ... I much preferred playing with greens.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

mrking posted:

I'm heavy handed on the keyboard, but mx clears and now 78g zealios have helped a lot. My new massdrop CTRL seems louder with the zealios though because there's pinging echoing through the keyboard body or something.

Since its design is derived from the k-type, it's probably the exact same design flaw: there's considerable empty space below the pcb, with some space above it as well, which allows certain noises to resonate in the case like a musical instrument. A number of people have put craft foam underneath the pcb (2mm thickness fits almost perfectly), some have gone for specialty sound-deadening materials, and I've seen even crazier people put that liquid rubber head gasket stuff all over the backing plate to add more mass. I've also seen somebody talking about laser-cutting more foam to perfectly fit around the switches on the top side. I just put the craft foam in the bottom and that helps, but it's still a little loud for what it is.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 5, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
How stupid am I if I get that space grey mac keyboard for my windows PC that i'll also be playing videogames on? I'd really like a nice high quality keyboard to type on and be able to clean almost instantly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I used my new GMMK with my friend's box whites and some SA profile caps and I have to say that the GMMK is a really cool board, although there are some things I don't like about this setup:

1. I just don't like box whites, the fake actuation noise (they're like blues) doesn't sound good, especially compared to the nice sound of my caps hitting the baseplate
2. Using high profile caps with a bare keyboard looks loving hilarious, you have these huge caps and then this big area around the bottom where you just see the switches

For #1 I'm going to try out another friend's zealios to see if I want to buy them. But for #2 I want to find some way to make or buy a shroud or a cover plate or something that will make the GMMK look a little more like a normal keyboard by covering up the base of the keys. Maybe something translucent so that light can still shine through. Anyone got ideas?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://kotaku.com/this-official-star-wars-keycap-set-leans-towards-the-da-1830887269

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

How stupid am I if I get that space grey mac keyboard for my windows PC that i'll also be playing videogames on? I'd really like a nice high quality keyboard to type on and be able to clean almost instantly.

That thing's got no key travel but if you think that's a benefit so you can clean it easier then go nuts. There are a ton of keyboards out there that have drainage channels to be spill resistant, I'd consider that a bit more important than being flat enough to wipe down.

VostokProgram posted:

For #1 I'm going to try out another friend's zealios to see if I want to buy them. But for #2 I want to find some way to make or buy a shroud or a cover plate or something that will make the GMMK look a little more like a normal keyboard by covering up the base of the keys. Maybe something translucent so that light can still shine through. Anyone got ideas?

I don't know if you'll have much luck with this, I've used a redragon vara and velocifire vm01 as doner boards partly because I didn't like the floating key thing. The redragon has a plate that's sunken into a case that surrounds the edge, the vm01 has an actual plastic cover like a normal keyboard.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can someone identify this keyboard?

It looks like the exact same PCB layout as the Razer BlackWidow Elite but with a different legend and volume dial

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Das Keyboard 5Q

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks, has anyone tried it out and all the cloud notification stuff? Easy to set up, or hard?

Im wondering if razer is actually using the same pcb, a lot of stuff lines up exactly the same. There are only so many ways you can arrange the media keys, but its awfully close.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 7, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Cloud software? For a keeb?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's poo poo

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Don Lapre posted:

It's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VostokProgram posted:

I used my new GMMK with my friend's box whites and some SA profile caps and I have to say that the GMMK is a really cool board, although there are some things I don't like about this setup:

1. I just don't like box whites, the fake actuation noise (they're like blues) doesn't sound good, especially compared to the nice sound of my caps hitting the baseplate

This is really weird to me because Box Whites use a totally different and distinctly much more snappy click mechanism than Blues do to actually generate the sound you hear when pressing the switch.
It's definitely true that you can sorta hover the switch around the action point and actuate it without making the click at all if you don't let it reset all the way back up though.

(I'm currently using box whites on the Massdrop CTRL board and think they sound exceptionally chunking with SA caps on them).