Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

subaru's CUV is literally a lifted impreza; is anyone else's that blatant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
we have a nissan rogue, and I’m perfectly happy thinking of it as a station wagon. it’s very needs suiting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

subaru's CUV is literally a lifted impreza; is anyone else's that blatant?

see my post above. pretty sure rogues are just hosed with sentras.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FCKGW posted:

Americans are rejecting cars and mainly buying crossovers or CUVs now which are hatchbacks but 6 inches taller.

I fit better in the Civic hatchback than the Mazda cuv

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
but i want to sit up high where i can look down on the people i run over

jk i never see them

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

President Beep posted:

we have a nissan rogue, and I’m perfectly happy thinking of it as a station wagon. it’s very needs suiting.

ugh those starwars ads tho

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
tall cars are about olds in denial who need something easy to get into with hosed up joints. hth

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ADINSX posted:

very glad i never saw one of those stupid things.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

tall cars are about olds in denial who need something easy to get into with hosed up joints. hth

The weird thing is the toyota yaris was a small car but still had nice tall seats so my old (young) body could easily get in and out. I think the SUV thing in America is the perceived utility of a bigger, larger car, despite rarely needing that space.

On the other hand if you don't live in a city where you have to parallel park and poo poo, there aren't really any downsides to getting a bigger car. My sister's CRV gets pretty loving good mileage and she does occasionally fill it with crap.

I miss that yaris, i should have never sold it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ADINSX posted:

The weird thing is the toyota yaris was a small car but still had nice tall seats so my old (young) body could easily get in and out. I think the SUV thing in America is the perceived utility of a bigger, larger car, despite rarely needing that space.

On the other hand if you don't live in a city where you have to parallel park and poo poo, there aren't really any downsides to getting a bigger car. My sister's CRV gets pretty loving good mileage and she does occasionally fill it with crap.

I miss that yaris, i should have never sold it.

reminder: suvs consistently have less space than similar type vans/minivans/station wagons

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

reminder: suvs consistently have less space than similar type vans/minivans/station wagons

yeah but thats after factoring in the huge hogs that their drivers must be packing obv

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

No downsides to big cars, past their wastefulness and low efficiency both in gas mileage and performance.

Here's a fun thought. If our cars were as small, light and low profile as they were 30 years ago, we could reduce the average fuel consumption by about 30 percent in everyday use in an instant just by running our modern engines.

What you may call good economy is actually tremendously poo poo economy based on the capabilities of the Powertrain and is entirely thanks to the trend of making cars big, heavy, isolated sofas on 20 inch low profile super wide wheels.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ADINSX posted:

people have been tried at the hague for less than this

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

hobbesmaster posted:

meanwhile chevy couldn't sell the bolt and its a superior car to the tesla model 3 because it can run in the cold and wasn't built in a tent

oh well, time to sell more SUVs because thats literally all people will buy from american car companies

Bolt wasn't axed but the Volt was.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Theory posted:

Here's a fun thought. If our cars were as small, light and low profile as they were 30 years ago, we could reduce the average fuel consumption by about 30 percent in everyday use in an instant just by running our modern engines.

my brother's family owns a turbodiesel yaris. we went to berlin about 10 years ago and his car got under 4l/100 on the flat highways despite the extra drag from roof trunk and being fully stuffed with luggage apart from himself and his gf. i'm sure a modern one gets even less.

gotta sell them SUVs tho

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Truga posted:

my brother's family owns a turbodiesel yaris

:swoon:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

people have been tried at the hague for less than this

:stonklol:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wargames posted:

Bolt wasn't axed but the Volt was.

yeah good thing gm chose the most confusing set of names possible lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Mazda CX-3 CUV is shorter than the Mazda3 car.
The Honda HRV is shorter than the Civic
The Ford Ecosport is nearly the same size as the Fiesta.

CUVs aren't that much bigger than cars and most get 30+ mpg now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 4, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

length is literally the only dimension that doesnt matter for driving resistance.

width is bad, height is double bad because it exposes tire circumference which is aerodynamic suicide. and all -howeveryoucallthem- utility vehicles are lifted to a degree. 30 mpg is also trash efficiency for a modern vehicle. we were perfectly capable to build cars consuming 3l/100km (80 mpg) in 1999 mass production (Lupo 3L) and there have been numerous cars since to reach similar efficiency especially with longer wheelbase (longer wheelbase, sedan form = aerodynamic optimum)

there is no reason an individual needs to settle on a car with less than 50mpg at this day and age and i say that as a royaly hosed up perfomance car enthusiast. the thruth is that the majority of energy in traffic is wasted because we drive vehicles we dont need... and the major blame is put on the only component that actually managed to improve in all these years, the drivetrain and engine

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 4, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

30 mpg is also trash efficiency for a modern vehicle.

lol. tell that to people over here and they’ll call the men in the white jackets to come and take you away.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yeah for a brief moment i forgot that the US domestic market might as well be called Truckistan

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

is "an SUV is smaller than a van" a particularly controversial statement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

length is literally the only dimension that doesnt matter for driving resistance.

width is bad, height is double bad because it exposes tire circumference which is aerodynamic suicide. and all -howeveryoucallthem- utility vehicles are lifted to a degree. 30 mpg is also trash efficiency for a modern vehicle. we were perfectly capable to build cars consuming 3l/100km (80 mpg) in 1999 mass production (Lupo 3L) and there have been numerous cars since to reach similar efficiency especially with longer wheelbase (longer wheelbase, sedan form = aerodynamic optimum)

there is no reason an individual needs to settle on a car with less than 50mpg at this day and age and i say that as a royaly hosed up perfomance car enthusiast. the thruth is that the majority of energy in traffic is wasted because we drive vehicles we dont need... and the major blame is put on the only component that actually managed to improve in all these years, the drivetrain and engine

are you in britain? 30 mpg UK is 25 mpg US

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Google unit conversion says mpg(US) but im only trusting that one for ballpark figures

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

but if i drive a smaller, lighter, more efficient car what will happen to my penis :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i just realized an unusual amount of my posts in this thread have been car/penis-duality-joke-related lately, weird

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah for a brief moment i forgot that the US domestic market might as well be called Truckistan

my late model subaru impreza, which is colloquially thought if as an “economy car” is rated at 27 mpg city.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

but if i drive a smaller, lighter, more efficient car what will happen to my penis :ohdear:

It's gonna shrink dude

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i just realized an unusual amount of my posts in this thread have been car/penis-duality-joke-related lately, weird telling

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

On my daily commute, I'm averaging about 5.3l/100km (44mpg) in a 55kW Golf. That's actually just about 82% of lab value (6.4l/100km). But it makes sense given that traffic is usually so dense that I mostly stick around 90-110 km/h, in the wind shadow of the SUVs and trucks around me. I actually exceded the 50mpg a couple of times when I was tired and just 'parked' behind a truck. Boggles the mind how people can make 8 or 9l/100km in this car except when they're dicking around in dense city traffic. That's almost literally like burning money, not that they get there earlier.

There's a chance I'll upgrade cars next year. A Mazda 3 that accelerates from 0 to 100 about 5 or 6 seconds faster than the Golf has a tested consumption of just above 5 liters, so I guess 50mpg+ will be the new normal for me. I'm really really not inclined to accept anything worse than that.

Other than that the only cool station wagons are these:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

President Beep posted:

my late model subaru impreza, which is colloquially thought if as an “economy car” is rated at 27 mpg city.

i mean city ratings are just that bad. however due to their AWD drivetrain Subarus were never really economic and, apart from the Forresters, they all run as fun cars in here. With an Impreza though, while economcially questionable, you at least get a bulletproof drivetrain and driving performance (depending on engine choice of course) whereas with a lifted mall ninja bomber crossover, you dont get any better performance, driveability or other benefits past ye olde folks not having to break as many hips getting in and out

E:

Lord Stimperor posted:

On my daily commute, I'm averaging about 5.3l/100km (44mpg) in a 55kW Golf. That's actually just about 82% of lab value (6.4l/100km). But it makes sense given that traffic is usually so dense that I mostly stick around 90-110 km/h, in the wind shadow of the SUVs and trucks around me. I actually exceded the 50mpg a couple of times when I was tired and just 'parked' behind a truck. Boggles the mind how people can make 8 or 9l/100km in this car except when they're dicking around in dense city traffic. That's almost literally like burning money, not that they get there earlier.

There's a chance I'll upgrade cars next year. A Mazda 3 that accelerates from 0 to 100 about 5 or 6 seconds faster than the Golf has a tested consumption of just above 5 liters, so I guess 50mpg+ will be the new normal for me. I'm really really not inclined to accept anything worse than that.

Other than that the only cool station wagons are these:

case in point about city consumption.

also good choice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

i mean city ratings are just that bad. however due to their AWD drivetrain Subarus were never really economic and, apart from the Forresters, they all run as fun cars in here. With an Impreza though, while economcially questionable, you at least get a bulletproof drivetrain and driving performance (depending on engine choice of course) whereas with a lifted mall ninja bomber crossover, you dont get any better performance, driveability or other benefits past ye olde folks not having to break as many hips getting in and out

the crosstrek presumably wouldn't bottom out where my impreza does in the spring after the roads have been destroyed by winter

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

how do the US even qualify as a developed country

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i drive an F-350. my penis drives behind me in a miata.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FCKGW posted:

The Mazda CX-3 CUV is shorter than the Mazda3 car.
The Honda HRV is shorter than the Civic
The Ford Ecosport is nearly the same size as the Fiesta.

CUVs aren't that much bigger than cars and most get 30+ mpg now.

the cx3 is the mazda2/fiesta platform not the 3

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah basically small cars (or even sedans, really) are deeply impractical to use anywhere that gets any significant snowfall

especially if you have to drive on side roads or alleys that don’t get plowed reliably

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

hey i live in a state that actually manages to patch the roads during construction season (minnesota) as opposed to one that doesn't bother (wisconsin)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

In the meantime, MDOT installed construction netting to catch falling concrete and made some temporary repairs to the bridges. MDOT is planning a 2019 project to repave the bridges and perform other minor repairs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...do nordic countries not have their roads hosed up every winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

hey i live in a state that actually manages to patch the roads during construction season (minnesota) as opposed to one that doesn't bother (wisconsin)

god loving drat it