Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes thats the point of completing the mission; you then get a "what do you have in bulk option" and have a normal wares screen for spaceweed/spacefuel/majaglit (or whatever its called). Only around 100 units each though.

she sure had no desire to actually buy from me, though, apparently

Also a good discovery: you don't have to zoom all the way down on the best-price station on the map to buy its wares - just right click on the listing when you're zoomed out on the map and it'll auto-select that as your trade source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently this is due to the “encounter” script that secretly cheats to make the universe appear more populated by warping ships to be near you (it’s not spawning new ones, just grabbing them from elsewhere). You usually don’t notice because there’s usually stuff around that would make sense for them to be there but in very odd cases like this one it’s noticeable.

Ahh that would be how it does it then. I wondered about that because it's definitely spawning poo poo when you fly around but if it just moves them, that makes more sense.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

If anyone is still at the point where 100k is a lot of money, it appears that any of the missions where a station requires a list of resources is free money. None of the ones I have seen have had time limits, so you can just accept it and eventually hours later you will get the mission completed when random traders happen to trade what they wanted. The goods don't actually have to be delivered by you or your affiliates.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah I know. It's unfortunate to see a egosoft gently caress something up that CIG managed to get working.

You realize that star citizen ships don't target anything right? They all have to be manned by a player and aimed manually.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Looks like a beta patch is up:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/discussions/0/1743353164098554541/

I'll see if that fixes my broken system - but no news on turrets....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I uh, I retract my previous statement that nobody fights and nothing is a threat...

That's two Ks and and I murdering an oddy and its fighter wing.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't think I've seen a single unit of sedatives in my current game. RIP easy starting money :(

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know there was a bulk buy option at all... the one I found didn't have it, do you need to complete the mission for that? If so it seems like it would massively facilitate illegal trade.

I've played this game for 20 hours and I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about with this

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

mp5 posted:

I've played this game for 20 hours and I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about with this

Kind of one of the bigger (IMO more annoying) departures from past games. A lot of mechanics hidden behind questline/mission unlocks that probably shouldn't be.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I totally forgot about X4 even being a thing, cought a glimps of x4 related fluff, and wondered how that was going, oh, at tesnexus, of all places, so countdown to tits & dicks on everything has already started, anyway, was goggling at it already being released, went and bought it, freaked at the site saying "we've randomly chosen you to delay the release of the cd key due to security checks, h.a.n.d." so said "you have 5 (five) minutes to deliver a key" they got back to me 2 minutes after I had bought it again from G.o.G, 6 minutes past my deadline. "instant" means loving "instant" lovely internets trading company.
anyway, regging the game, and about to break my X4 hymen. o7

Slickdrac posted:

Kind of one of the bigger (IMO more annoying) departures from past games. A lot of mechanics hidden behind questline/mission unlocks that probably shouldn't be.

Saves are no doubt xml. rebirth taught me how to unfuck stuff with notepad++ and there was much to unfuck. next I want to unpack the meshes and textures as I am eager to make my big, hard, penetrator of yeilding vaccums even more phallocentric. (lies, I want to make a derelict mod, wait, that almost the same anyway.)

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, found a ship sold at one yard and nowhere else:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Welp. Looks like the patch note about fixed delivery missions didn't fix my problems with the lucrative offer ones :doh:

I just got a scan that offered two like last time. but they were much easier. x3 unstable crystals, and another job for x3 security decryption (pre patch, my hosed mission was for x6 crystals, and x2 space caviar I never tried for).

I even went to grab the stuff from HAT Free Port ASAP, both kinds for good measure. But showing up at the delivery destination is the same old vanishing mission markers with no viable destinations in the elevator. (Engineering station, manager office, and my parking spot). Clearly not supposed to sell it to the regular sales desk, not even the same species as the mission giver on top of it not wanting to sell it here.

Being a smuggler is hard :saddowns:

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
May not be helpful to many, but wanted to throw out a tip. Steal people from bridges of random capital ships. I hunted a bunch for someone with some skill in management before giving up and hiring a random 2k credit bridge guy with ?'s for engineering and morale from one ship. He ended up having 4 stars in management and is now running my station. Also grabbed a veteran marine from one. Time consuming, but you can get mid-tier people from capital ships if you want. I'm just disappointed you can't steal their captain.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, found a ship sold at one yard and nowhere else:

Is it by chance off the highway warfs/yards?

I kind of figured that the common stuff would be near the highways, and than as you moved away there might be one or two warfs hidden away. Nice to know it's there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fetko posted:

May not be helpful to many, but wanted to throw out a tip. Steal people from bridges of random capital ships. I hunted a bunch for someone with some skill in management before giving up and hiring a random 2k credit bridge guy with ?'s for engineering and morale from one ship. He ended up having 4 stars in management and is now running my station. Also grabbed a veteran marine from one. Time consuming, but you can get mid-tier people from capital ships if you want. I'm just disappointed you can't steal their captain.

Yes this is apparently how you're supposed to get skilled people.

Also for some reason you can see their stats when you actually hit hire, but before you finalise it, really silly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Morphix posted:

Is it by chance off the highway warfs/yards?

I kind of figured that the common stuff would be near the highways, and than as you moved away there might be one or two warfs hidden away. Nice to know it's there.

It's the Alliance of the Word wharf in trinity sanctum.

I think it's some kind of multi-race org because they also sell a scattershot of random poo poo from all factions.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

quote:

• Fixed a case that could result in AutoTraders sometimes trading at a loss.

Hm yes surely this will fix all problems with auto-trade

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I ended up scrapping my auto traders, besides getting the occasional "SS Profitssss trade completed: 5,200 credits", the price difference between an item in high demand vs high supply don't seem to be too big. So your ships are buying 1k of an item or so, and selling it for maybe a 30 credit profit per item for 30k. Meanwhile my miners are selling silicon or methane for 40-60k of pure profit a pop. I kept 1 for manual space fuel and weed runs. Maybe I'll buy freighters when I get stations up and running to refine my ores and gas for pure profits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Hm yes surely this will fix all problems with auto-trade

It is a start! I experienced this and it was super frustrating.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

I said come in! posted:

It is a start! I experienced this and it was super frustrating.

before this update, I set my traders to auto-trade then went to sleep for 3 hours and lost 5000cr

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do honestly like that UTs are not the answer because it really did eclipse a lot of other things in X3. As you say, it is much better to produce goods yourself by some fashion and supply them to the market, with processing facilities adding more and more places you can sell the goods.

But yes they shouldn't trade at a flat loss.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
You have more control it seems like if you set their default state to auto trade. This also brings up something im not clear on right clicking from the map you can auto trade with anyone but to make it default behavior they need 3 stars so im not sure it really works with a lovely trader even though it lets you.

For the economy grinding to a halt someone on reddit mentioned you could stop other factories from producing and eject their storage into space of you craft hacking tools so that may be a way to fix the economy without starting wars for people going that route.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

You have more control it seems like if you set their default state to auto trade. This also brings up something im not clear on right clicking from the map you can auto trade with anyone to make it default they need 3 stars so im not sure it really works with a lovely trader even though it lets you.

For the economy grinding to a halt someone on reddit mentioned you could stop other factories from producing and eject their storage into space of you craft hacking tools so that may be a way to fix the economy without starting wars for people going that route.

You can actually get that same amount of control if you do the right click autotrade and then hit the + button to the left of the order, and you get the same ability to restrict wares as the default order "autotrade".

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is the litcube mod a pain in the rear end to install and how is X3 modding in general? I'm hopeful that x4 will have make that sort of stuff very easy to install and hopefully for modders to actually create stuff for the game

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Is the litcube mod a pain in the rear end to install and how is X3 modding in general? I'm hopeful that x4 will have make that sort of stuff very easy to install and hopefully for modders to actually create stuff for the game

Litcube isn't too bad, it's done by installers.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Litcube is fairly easy to install and has it's own installer programs; just follow the instructions on the wiki (http://litcube.xtimelines.net/wiki/index.php/Installation) and enjoy!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weirdly my factory has absolutely taken off in the last few hours, now everyone's coming and buying metal products from me and I'm raking in the cash. Weird.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Weirdly my factory has absolutely taken off in the last few hours, now everyone's coming and buying metal products from me and I'm raking in the cash. Weird.

Maybe the AI has to actually "find" locations to trade from them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

New patch?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popete posted:

New patch?

No same as the rest of today.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Maybe the AI has to actually "find" locations to trade from them.

I'm wondering this too, actually. Or possibly the way the AI plans things in advance means it takes a long time for people to switch over to your factory for supply. It would also conceivably mean that you need to keep a constant supply of goods to sell or they will assign more of their traders to go further afield.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 5, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm wondering this too, actually. Or possibly the way the AI plans things in advance means it takes a long time for people to switch over to your factory for supply. It would also conceivably mean that you need to keep a constant supply of goods to sell or they will assign more of their traders to go further afield.

Yeah I thought it might be some kind of queuing thing but I wouldn't think they'd set up their trades that far in advance.

It's possible they might have some kind of internal list of "good routes" that only updates every so often for performance reasons, and it takes a while for your own station to percolate to the top of that list with its price of goods vs. distance of trip ratio and so on. Are you setting the price manually or just letting the automatic pricing handle it? If it's the latter the AI may not consider it worthwhile until your factory has built up enough of a stockpile that it moves its price down below average.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually I can even show you.

So obviously the climb angle of the graph is my income per hour, basically. Higher the climb rate the faster I'm making money. The dips are me taking money out of the account. You can see it's pretty anaemic for the first few hours and then it rockets up in the second half. Now part of that is me improving ore supply by buying more miners, but I was keeping pace with product consumption all the time. I always had teladianium and metals in stock, which you can see here:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I thought it might be some kind of queuing thing but I wouldn't think they'd set up their trades that far in advance.

It's possible they might have some kind of internal list of "good routes" that only updates every so often for performance reasons, and it takes a while for your own station to percolate to the top of that list with its price of goods vs. distance of trip ratio and so on. Are you setting the price manually or just letting the automatic pricing handle it? If it's the latter the AI may not consider it worthwhile until your factory has built up enough of a stockpile that it moves its price down below average.

I have kept the prices fairly constant at below average for sales and very high for Ore purchases because I really needed as much of that as I could get and I would make a profit on it either way.

I just built a pier and now I have L size miners dropping off ore for me too which should help, plus I can buy my own large miner at some point.

Weirdly I still can't get anyone to buy ecells even though i sell them at 11c.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 5, 2018

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
Anyone run into issues adding modules to your base? I'm trying to add a 3-dock T, but no matter what I do, after I confirm changes and go back, it is not there. Anything else sticks and builds, but not that.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Does LitCube's have the Kha'ak Advanced variants of corvettes, destroyers, and carriers that are badass glowy space dragons like XRM has? That's kind of a deal breaker for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fetko posted:

Anyone run into issues adding modules to your base? I'm trying to add a 3-dock T, but no matter what I do, after I confirm changes and go back, it is not there. Anything else sticks and builds, but not that.

The T docks are especailly awkward because the changes will not save unless they are both inside the outer bounding box, and all of the approach vectors are clear. Make sure it's well clear of any other modules and isn't out of bounds.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The T docks are especailly awkward because the changes will not save unless they are both inside the outer bounding box, and all of the approach vectors are clear. Make sure it's well clear of any other modules and isn't out of bounds.

Does that include the what I assume are dock boxes that extend out of them? If so, not sure how I can get those to fit on the starter base without finding out how to rotate things on the Y axis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fetko posted:

Does that include the what I assume are dock boxes that extend out of them? If so, not sure how I can get those to fit on the starter base without finding out how to rotate things on the Y axis.

The boxes are the approach vectors and they can be outside of the bounding box, but they cannot intersect any other geometry.

As a suggestion, don't develop the starter base. It doesn't do anything as far as I am aware and as you have noted it takes up a hell of a lot of space. You would be better off building in the sector southeast of grand exchange and can do so for free. It has very similar accessibility.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 5, 2018

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I didn't need the main menu, I guess:

I also got stuck in the elevator, and still rockin' a cool ~25-30 fps in stations. I'll be back in a month. :egosoft:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shift D unsticks you, if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So i get a marine go to an empty ship and click board that poo poo just spins circles around the drat thing and now i cant get my marine pod or whatever the gently caress back. Am i doing something wrong or is this poo poo broke? I mean obviously its broke but is there some sort of magic to make this happen? Was claim ship not enough? It auto launched that poo poo so im not sure what else it wants from me. None of the other orders do a loving thing of course lol the one i need is greyed out but it lets me choose a bunch of other orders that do absolutely nothing.