Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Terry Long also look suspiciously similar to what Marv Wolfman looked like in 1982?

Yes. He had a real "this is a creepy rear end in a top hat that the writer thinks is a cool guy" thing going on even when Wolfman was writing him.

X-O posted:

Was John Jameson powered when he was with She-Hulk? I dont remember.

He wasn't, but he felt so inadequate compared to her that he decided to get his space wolf god powers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Yes. He had a real "this is a creepy rear end in a top hat that the writer thinks is a cool guy" thing going on even when Wolfman was writing him.

At one point she wears a 'Terry Long Fan Club' t-shirt. Good lord, Marv.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

At one point she wears a 'Terry Long Fan Club' t-shirt. Good lord, Marv.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely. Long was 100% Wolfman's self insert character.

In that case Wolfman had two of those: he had Terry Long, a divorced college professor who looks about 40 and marries an 18-year old; and he had Danny Chase, a superhero who didn't wear a costume or have a codename and always went on about how lame costumes and codenames were. :v:

We poke fun (affectionately, most of the time) at Claremont's various indulgences in X-Men but he was far from alone in doing that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kong in Ultimate Spider-man was Bendis' self insert.

Who eventually hooks up with Kitty Pryde...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Kong in Ultimate Spider-man was Bendis' self insert.

Who eventually hooks up with Kitty Pryde...

Kong was generally a pretty good character who had a decent arc from Flash' bully sidekick to loveable oaf to surprisingly smart and loyal friend. Terry Long was just unnerving.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Was John Jameson powered when he was with She-Hulk? I dont remember.

On and off, both in his Man-Wolf and Stargod forms.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

At one point, Jameson got transported to an alternate universe where he kept his human intelligence in his wolf form, and he ended up doing the barbarian hero thing there for a while under the name Stargod.

I assure you, when you are a twelve-year-old boy, this is the coolest goddamn image in the universe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

At one point, Jameson got transported to an alternate universe where he kept his human intelligence in his wolf form, and he ended up doing the barbarian hero thing there for a while under the name Stargod.

I assure you, when you are a twelve-year-old boy, this is the coolest goddamn image in the universe.

I know people think the silver age was weird, but those were light hearted cartoons for kids so why not have Batman wear a set of rainbow colored costumes or Superman get an ant head. The 1970's is when comic books got freaky.

How many cosmic barbarian and/or messiahs did Marvel and DC have between them in the 70's, anyway? It's got to be around two dozen "headliners" who actually got their name with a logo splashed on a cover.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Seeing Aquarian literally anywhere tickles me pink for that reason.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Random Stranger posted:

I know people think the silver age was weird, but those were light hearted cartoons for kids so why not have Batman wear a set of rainbow colored costumes or Superman get an ant head. The 1970's is when comic books got freaky.

How many cosmic barbarian and/or messiahs did Marvel and DC have between them in the 70's, anyway? It's got to be around two dozen "headliners" who actually got their name with a logo splashed on a cover.

How many just plain barbarian/sword and sorcery protagonists do they have between them in that period, in an attempt to duplicate the Conan success, but make it something they own? Some of them are also basically superheroes like Ulysses Bloodstone so you get a bogo deal going. There's like a million of them

I don't think Warlord counts as also a superhero despite appearing in superhero comics sometimes. Nightmaster might be though? drat I'm usually the last guy to split hairs about who isn't or is a superhero too

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Stargod. Man , Legendary Were-wolf Barbarian/Astronaut?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

Stargod. Man , Legendary Were-wolf Barbarian/Astronaut?

I didn't actually know about that period of John Jameson's life so it wasn't just a fun reference to GotG.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Terry Long also look suspiciously similar to what Marv Wolfman looked like in 1982?
Not particularly?

Here's Marv Wolfman in 1982, near the launch of Teen Titans:

They're both white men with beards, but that's more or less where the resemblance ends.

I'm not that conversant with any of Wolfman Titans past the Judas Contract or so, so I don't know if there are a lot of other data points that make everyone assume that redheaded white men in the book are all Marv Wolfman self-inserts, especially since Wolfman himself isn't a redhead. But if "is bald, gets to have a girlfriend" is enough of a reason to make Kong a Bendis self-insert, the bar is set pretty low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was the USM intro where Bendis was drawn into the book and looked pretty much just like Kong. I don't know that I've ever seen Bendis deny it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

There was the USM intro where Bendis was drawn into the book and looked pretty much just like Kong. I don't know that I've ever seen Bendis deny it.

I still have some reservations about this reading. They're both stocky and bald but again-- beyond that, depending on who drew the intro you're thinking of (I don't quite remember it) any resemblences might be chalked up to Bagley not having a very wide array of faces.

The thing is from everything I've read about Bendis' adolescence he was not much like the slightly dumb, sort of bullyish doof that Kong starts out as, and Kong's character, as he develops, doesn't really turn into anything resembling Bendis' personality. For that matter, there are huge stretches of USM where Kong's just not around. In fact, towards the end, there's that bit where he just ditches Kitty completely and comes across as both an rear end in a top hat and, more saliently here, somebody Bendis was tired of writing or didn't have any urgent ideas about.

I don't think this conversation would happen much if he wasn't set up sporadically with perennial self-insert-joke-punchline Kitty Pryde, because I think otherwise there's not much to go on aside from a very superficial physical resemblance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

I didn't actually know about that period of John Jameson's life so it wasn't just a fun reference to GotG.

It wasn't just a GotG reference?

Meaning you wanted to know more about confusing Werewolf man AND reference a MCU movie.
Well done.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's especially weird to learn about Stargod after all this time because the Man-Wolf I've always known was the typical feral werewolf so it kinda sucks that he was living it up off-world as a fully sentient swashbuckling superwolfman but he couldn't be that on Earth or even in his home dimension.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think saying Kong is Bendis is crazy reaching.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are people's opinions of 'Blackest Night'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Definitely do it if you're going through Geoff Johns' Green Lantern. I thought the pre-BN GL issue focusing on Black Hand was one of the best horror comics I've read.

There's a really good Action Comics run focusing on Lex Luthor from Paul Cornell that springs out of it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is Miracleman readable or just iconic?

Like I know people say it's IMPORTANT, but would I actually enjoy reading it if my favorite stories are 80s X-Books and the JLE/JLA?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

Ranged from mildly entertaining stupid to can't read this it's too stupid. I actually can't remember the actual storyline but remember the tie-ins so take that for what you will.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Beerdeer posted:

Like I know people say it's IMPORTANT, but would I actually enjoy reading it if my favorite stories are 80s X-Books and the JLE/JLA?

I just read it a few months back and I'd say it holds up. It's definitely more prosey towards the end but it's a good story and Moore near his peak

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a good way of getting a collection or reprints at this point?

Didn't Marvel stop reprinting it because of *issues*?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Uthor posted:

Is there a good way of getting a collection or reprints at this point?

Didn't Marvel stop reprinting it because of *issues*?

Amazon has some hardcover trades for like $20.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

A stupid teenager's idea of cool mixed with a really stupid teenager's idea of deep.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

I don't think we needed Kyle's girlfriend coming back as a Black Lantern still shoved inside her fridge.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Beerdeer posted:

I never finished it but the first 8 issues I did read aren't really what you would expect going in as a warning. Some weird black guy with jade teeth or something

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think we needed Kyle's girlfriend coming back as a Black Lantern still shoved inside her fridge.

We absolutely did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

I don't think it's Moore's best but it's really good. Feel free to stop when Gaiman starts, though.

Dawgstar posted:

It's the kind of thing that makes a really funny joke about a comic where dead characters are coming back to attack the living. It's also the kind of thing that is really terrible when played seriously.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bessantj posted:

'lmao they brought back the fridge'

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blackest Night - the main series as written by Johns - was an amusing superhero zombie apocalypse that seemed to think it was a serious, thoughtful meditation on the nature of death in superhero comic books.

The stuff that Tomasi was doing where Kyle's girlfriend comes back as a Black Lantern fridge with a Black Lantern ring as a fridge magnet was better because it leaned harder into the superhero zombie apocalypse high concept.

Sinestro Corps War was a lot better.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the replies everyone. What are people's top two or three DC stories?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

I'd think you would enjoy it if you're into grim and gritty Eighties superhero books. The biggest thing against it other than having been imitated to death is that the art quality on the Moore run is highly variable. It starts out with nicely polished work from Garry Leach (who had to quit because it took him something like a week per page) and the final issues that John Totleben draws are gorgeous. In the middle is Alan Davis doing journeyman work before solidifying the style he used on the Eighties X-Books, some absolutely atrocious Chuck Austen art, and Rick Veitch doing what looks like a rush job, all on what is supposed to read as one continuous story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

It's the kind of thing that makes a really funny joke about a comic where dead characters are coming back to attack the living. It's also the kind of thing that is really terrible when played seriously.

Yeah, that's the thing. One side thought they were writing Crisis but with Zombies, and another thought they were writing DC's Marvel Zombies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. What are people's top two or three DC stories?
The Hawkman arc in Bizzaro Comics. Watchmen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Up, Up, And Away is the best Superman story ever don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just to pile on Blackest Night some more here's a breakdown of all the separate character issues:
- I'm (dead character) back to life, boogedy boo! Also I now hold every value to the opposite I did in life and LOOOOVE DEATH
- other characters: this is so sad and meaningful
- (dead character) fucks everyone's poo poo up
- other characters: dang we're boned
- the end! No moral!