Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you have the luck of the draw.

The drat check now button still doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

OnePlus still shoots themselves in the foot and is a joke. My reply was a bit harsh but I feel like changelogs are always unremarkable.

Yeah funny thing about that memory manager being aggressive on the 6T, something that would never happen on a flag ship phone by the creators of the OS

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
While I would probably have gotten a 6T had Verizon not been running a BOGO deal on the Pixel 3, the upside of having a phone made by the creators of the OS is that software glitches like that do tend to get fixed a lot faster, though it's pretty stupid that either phone suffered that issue in the first place: the 6T because it had enough RAM to not need much management in the first place, and the Pixel because they had it working just fine on the P2, so it probably didn't need a whole lot of tweaking. Yet here we are.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I'm actually glad for this since I can now force my one remaining Hangouts friend to use Whatsapp like all normal humans do

edit: I'm in the US and yes we use whatsapp

This isn't true. 9to5Google got fed a bunch of bullshit and refuses to admit they're wrong.

https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1068861340800958466?s=09

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My P3XL got the OTA update from Koodo, too! Fingers crossed for that memory management improvement.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Just got a Pixel 3 XL today and the bottom speaker emits a rattling / buzzing noise at low volume.

Googled a bit and apparently I am not the only one, but details are scant. Anyone here have experience with this? Is there a fix other than RMAing the device?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just got a Pixel 3 XL today and the bottom speaker emits a rattling / buzzing noise at low volume.

Googled a bit and apparently I am not the only one, but details are scant. Anyone here have experience with this? Is there a fix other than RMAing the device?

Mine doesn't do this. I'd probably recommend an RMA, but can't say for sure.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Best shots I could get of my Pixel 3 screen problems. This is only noticeable at low brightness. Going to try to get an exchange but I just hope it's not a screen lottery.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So 10 days with the P20 Pro and Huawei Watch 2. I really like the phone so far, has an infinitely more stylish and premium feel compared to my old Pixel 2. Its very snappy, even snapchat doesn't chug along anymore as it could be a real nightmare on the P2. Battery life is about the same, in the 30 odd hours on average. Couple things though, first phone without always on display in a while. I dont really miss it as I do have the aforementioned watch but I do find myself tapping the screen now and then, but that isn't a feature either. The larger screen takes a bit of getting used to, especially at first trying to use it in bed was awkward but I'm getting the hang of it. There are a couple of quirks, like using instagram, scrolling through will begin to accelerate after a few flicks and just go really fast, no other apps seem to do that. In Awful, I sometimes highlight text by mistake and when text is highlighted, the scroll speed becomes choppy. These are relatively minor things though. I neglected to install Phonograph and try the Huawei music app, as I've spent my whole life looking for a shuffle algorithm that will access even say, 20% of the 1300 odd songs I have on there. But nope, its even worse than previous apps. 2.5 hour drive yesterday back to the city, I was getting repeats before the half way mark. Again, minor. The one real annoyance is bluetooth volume doesn't seem to stay on max. And theres no pattern to it, I can go out in the car, stop, come back and its fine. Next time I turn off the engine and start up, the volume has decreased. Hoping that'll be addressed when Pie shows up.

One reason I never upgraded from my Pebble was the battery life. I'm finding it a bit tedious having to charge the watch every second day, but aside from that its good. Not especially blistering or anything in the speed department as some reviews said, but it was a free toss in with the phone so overall I'm happy. I've been trying to find a way to make the drat thing go to sleep when I do, and even manually selecting sleep just does nothing, it immediately turns back on telling me to leave the watch on as I sleep to monitor all that poo poo. Even the "dim" watchface is a loving flashlight once the lights are off in the bedroom. There has to be a way to keep the thing on my wrist and make it go black during the night.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

The one real annoyance is bluetooth volume doesn't seem to stay on max. And theres no pattern to it, I can go out in the car, stop, come back and its fine. Next time I turn off the engine and start up, the volume has decreased. Hoping that'll be addressed when Pie shows up.

That was added to stock Android in Pie so assuming Huawei doesn't remove it for no reason you should be good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you can get a free google home mini with a 3 month trial of spotify until the 31st, total for the three months plus the home mini is 99 cents

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-mini-spotify-trial-930940/

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Trip report after one day with my first android phone: Google assistant owns so much more than Siri. I don't have to lift a finger to my phone to help Siri get through life without injury while I drive anymore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blue Train posted:

you can get a free google home mini with a 3 month trial of spotify until the 31st, total for the three months plus the home mini is 99 cents

Thanks! Just did this.

Can confirm they do NOT charge you for the Family plan once you upgrade.

Also can confirm it's not free. The trial is $1 + tax THEN you can upgrade for free, THEN you get the Home Mini...so the $1 charge is just to see if your account exists...they may return it though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

quote:

(US only)

God dammit.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

This isn't true. 9to5Google got fed a bunch of bullshit and refuses to admit they're wrong.

https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1068861340800958466?s=09

What is "upgrading users to Chat and Meet" if not deprecating the old Hangouts?

e: I'll clarify what I was getting at: I'm not sure I'd call it "a bunch of bullshit" when the only pushback is "you got the date for when we're going to shut Hangouts Classic down wrong."

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2018

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey codo did you get an update for emui 9 on your p20 yet? I'm still on 8.1.0. I have no idea how this staggered releasing works on android or if I can force it or what.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If I bought my pixel 3 at best buy, but I had to do the Verizon device payment thingy, who do I go to for warranty stuff or to RMA? Is it verizon, BB, or google?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If I bought my pixel 3 at best buy, but I had to do the Verizon device payment thingy, who do I go to for warranty stuff or to RMA? Is it verizon, BB, or google?

BB will (usually) only deal with it for the first 14 or 30 days. Verizon will only deal with it if you've purchased their warranty / damage protection stuff. Your primary vector will be through Google itself.

e; if you bought it on a nicer credit card, you might be able to get them to warranty it for 1-2 years after the initial 1 year warranty runs out (which mostly works out as them reimbursing you any needed repair/replacement costs).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Hey codo did you get an update for emui 9 on your p20 yet? I'm still on 8.1.0. I have no idea how this staggered releasing works on android or if I can force it or what.

According to a few reports, China is getting it now. Rest of the world "will have to wait" "coming weeks" etc. Hopefully before the end of the year.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My sister has small hands and is looking for a new budget/midrange phone - is there anything comparable to to the thread's beloved Nokia 6.1 but not as big?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DrDork posted:

BB will (usually) only deal with it for the first 14 or 30 days. Verizon will only deal with it if you've purchased their warranty / damage protection stuff. Your primary vector will be through Google itself.

e; if you bought it on a nicer credit card, you might be able to get them to warranty it for 1-2 years after the initial 1 year warranty runs out (which mostly works out as them reimbursing you any needed repair/replacement costs).

Ah ok thats what I thought. My screen on my pixel 3 is still randomly flashing white when I go to unlock it :( . I like everything else about the phone but man..my eyes... especially when it happens at night. Might wait a little bit longer to see if there's a software fix.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Got it, thanks.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah ok thats what I thought. My screen on my pixel 3 is still randomly flashing white when I go to unlock it :( . I like everything else about the phone but man..my eyes... especially when it happens at night. Might wait a little bit longer to see if there's a software fix.

This happens to me like once every 3 or so days when the active display comes back when I take my phone out of my pocket. It hasn't happened to me in the dark yet so it hasn't been a huge problem, but it does startle the poo poo out of me every time it happens.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just got the Pie beta on my Note 9... OneUI in tow.

It's real nice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The recommendation you're likely to get is to first do a full factory reset and see if that fixes it. Kind of a pain to do, but it sure beats the hassle of a RMA.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have the problem from the top speaker. I believe there was an blurb from Google that a future software fix should help.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

RichterIX posted:

This happens to me like once every 3 or so days when the active display comes back when I take my phone out of my pocket. It hasn't happened to me in the dark yet so it hasn't been a huge problem, but it does startle the poo poo out of me every time it happens.

Yeah this is approximately how often it happens to me, but it seems so random. Like, just this morning it happened twice in a row when waking up the display but hadn't done it since middle of last week.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there a recommended car charger for Pixel 3 that does rapid charging?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is going to sound silly but has anyone had any gps issues since the December update?

PXL3

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally got my Pixel 3 and I'm really enjoying it so far. drat solid phone.

That being said I continue to be extremely disappointed with Google's constant "gently caress you Canada, you'll wait six months to a year to get the cool features" policy. Call screening was one of the big things that tipped me into getting the Pixel, and of course it's only available in the US.
I'd be a bit more hopeful of it coming here soon if we still weren't waiting for a bunch of the Assistant features the US got like, half a year ago.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

nerve posted:

Is there a recommended car charger for Pixel 3 that does rapid charging?

Most chargers that state support for USB-PD will work. I got this one and have been pleased with it, and PD+QuickCharge covers the vast majority of phones that aren't Apple's fast charging profiles; the blue light is not offensively bright, but if you're the type that hates lights at all, there are plenty of other similar ones without.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

$10, USB-IF certified. 27 watt. Bonus A port.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24424

USB-C™ Output5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/2.25A

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Is there a thread-suggested Pixel 3XL screen protector?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
OK Google hasn't been working for me for a while. When I went to retrain, it just sat there saying "please wait...".

So I deleted the voice model and can't add a new one because it still says "please wait". Joy.

Any ideas?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My Pixel 3 XL arrived today. Loving it so far. Here's a night night off and on from the waterfront near my apartment.

Off

On

So a bit brighter with less fuzziness especially with the sky. It definitely looks more true to life. It's not a huge difference but it's definitely an improvement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-bo8a4zU0

Interesting camera shootout with a weird first round.

The explanation makes sense. Interesting implications for how manufacturers should tune their software.

People prefer brighter, more colorful images, especially after compression when uploading to social media sites.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DrDork posted:

Most chargers that state support for USB-PD will work. I got this one and have been pleased with it, and PD+QuickCharge covers the vast majority of phones that aren't Apple's fast charging profiles; the blue light is not offensively bright, but if you're the type that hates lights at all, there are plenty of other similar ones without.

The other thing about my Huawei is we got a bunch of usb A to C cables for our last 2 phones, I used to be able to charge my pixel fast at work connected to my fairly new desktop, and in the car. Now charging in the car (via 12v adapter with qc3) is really slow and the thing won't even stay connected to the PC or is able to transfer files with those third party cables. I guess this is what the thread title is getting at

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Uthor posted:

OK Google hasn't been working for me for a while. When I went to retrain, it just sat there saying "please wait...".

So I deleted the voice model and can't add a new one because it still says "please wait". Joy.

Any ideas?

My nexus 6 was having this issue.

My solution was buy a Pixel 3, hope this helps.

(retraining it on new phone actually fixed it for the Nexus 6 too, not sure how to force it on a single phone though)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

$10, USB-IF certified. 27 watt. Bonus A port.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24424

USB-C™ Output5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/2.25A

This work on the Pixel 2 XL? I read your effort post (which is awesome, thank you!) and it says yes but wanting to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

My nexus 6 was having this issue.

My solution was buy a Pixel 3, hope this helps.

(retraining it on new phone actually fixed it for the Nexus 6 too, not sure how to force it on a single phone though)

I could pull my Nexus 5x out of the box!