Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tiggum posted:

Was this written by a computer or something?

Well, they did fire all the copy editors and instead started asking readers to submit corrections in the comments section!

As to the teleporter-crow banger story, apparently the dead guy had the noisemaker set up in a shed on his land, which made it even louder that it normally would be, and had it set to go off every 4.6 minutes all day. The neighbour says he was driven berserk and just beamed him all the way up to heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress is a teleporter? What the gently caress is a crow banger?? What the hell is happening???

I believe Teleporter was the album where Crow Banger switched from straight rock to Hiberno-fuzz neo-Celtic synthabilly farmer-punk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nasty long forklift forks on the front, unless you have the haybales ones which seem more metal:

I think they are more commonly known as telehandlers

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress is a teleporter? What the gently caress is a crow banger?? What the hell is happening???

I'm going to guess a "crow-banger" is a bird cannon (which is not as :black101: as it sounds)

Teleporter = forks on a tractor for moving hay, maybe? Still unsure on that one.

E: ^^ there we go, about what I figured on the "teleporter"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

Tampering with signage is an effective tactic against them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0CDwZJe-s

Unironically a tactic used to confuse Soviet forces in the Prague Spring.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ape Agitator posted:

He had to know the bangers would get him mashed eventually.

:golfclap:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The MSJ posted:

Tampering with signage is an effective tactic against them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0CDwZJe-s

This isn't the kind of StarWars humor that starwars is known for, so it was the right move to take it out. SlapStick does not belong in Pop Sci Fi

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Byron school officials conclude naked Oreo run was not hazing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What do they think hazing is? How could that be anything else?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What do they think hazing is? How could that be anything else?

Hazing being an initiation thing forced on people.

From the sounds of it the kids were most likely doing some stupid dare type activity rather than a forced hazing ritual. Never discount what sort of stupid people will get up to for a dare / peer recognition.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jobson groeth posted:

Hazing being an initiation thing forced on people.

From the sounds of it the kids were most likely doing some stupid dare type activity rather than a forced hazing ritual. Never discount what sort of stupid people will get up to for a dare / peer recognition.
Isn't peer pressure exactly the way that hazing works though? Like, no one's being held at gunpoint or anything, it's just a bunch of people saying "if you don't do this then you're not one of us", which is exactly what you're saying happened here?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Isn't peer pressure exactly the way that hazing works though? Like, no one's being held at gunpoint or anything, it's just a bunch of people saying "if you don't do this then you're not one of us", which is exactly what you're saying happened here?

Usually hazing is more someone forcing someone else to do something, but not also participating (e.g. seniors forcing freshman to do stupid stuff). I guess in this case they decided there wasn’t anyone “pressuring” them to do it except themselves, and not as any sort of initiation but just out of collective stupidity

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/BowenBBC/status/1068915098931089408

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1069614354457341957

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thedailymash/status/1069892591615909888

As one does.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/1055909267100835847

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I was literally late for work the other day because my cat came in from the rain so I had to dry her off with a towel, pet her, and then feed her so this is entirely understandable

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://nypost.com/2018/12/04/florida-man-threatens-to-kill-professor-over-7-a-m-final-police/

Florida Man arrested for threatening to kill his professor over a final being scheduled at 7:00 AM.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
that man did nothing wrong.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1070394997952954369?s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I click hoping he just sold a bunch of Ouyas he found in a warehouse. Not far from the truth, it turns out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I had a few required classes in uni that were only ever taught at 8 a.m. No alternate slots. Ever. It was 8 a.m. or gently caress you, pick another major.

I hope Hell exists so whoever made that decision can go there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/04/florida-man-threatens-to-kill-professor-over-7-a-m-final-police/

Florida Man arrested for threatening to kill his professor over a final being scheduled at 7:00 AM.

quote:

“Bey I gern f—ing kill dis professor bey this is my confession to a premeditated murder,”

Wtf does “Bey” mean? I’m getting too old for this poo poo

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It just means “dude” in the Bahamas.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Wtf does “Bey” mean? I’m getting too old for this poo poo

Correct answer above! ^^

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The mistake he made is assuming the professor scheduled the final, not school/department admin. Every professor I ever had give a final before 9 AM was as unhappy about it as the students.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I had a few required classes in uni that were only ever taught at 8 a.m. No alternate slots. Ever. It was 8 a.m. or gently caress you, pick another major.

I once had a class scheduled 8am on saturdays. Never showed up lol

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What did you study? I am a Chemist and our entire Bachelor's in Germany looked like this:
Monday - Friday: Lectures from 8 AM (8:15 because academia) to 12:00, lunch break
Three days of the week: 1 PM - 6 PM (usually): lab courses

There was no choice on anything in this curriculum. Admittedly none* of the lectures was required, but you better attend or you're gonna fail.

*or some? It's been a while, and I went to every one in the first two semesters anyway, and that's why I'm still a Chemist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My engineer and doctor friends all had insane schedules like that. By contrast, I wisely* elected to major in sociology and still didn't show up to most of my classes

*not wisely

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The MSJ posted:

I click hoping he just sold a bunch of Ouyas he found in a warehouse. Not far from the truth, it turns out.

Crank dem Ouya boy

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

What did you study? I am a Chemist and our entire Bachelor's in Germany looked like this:
Monday - Friday: Lectures from 8 AM (8:15 because academia) to 12:00, lunch break
Three days of the week: 1 PM - 6 PM (usually): lab courses

There was no choice on anything in this curriculum. Admittedly none* of the lectures was required, but you better attend or you're gonna fail.

*or some? It's been a while, and I went to every one in the first two semesters anyway, and that's why I'm still a Chemist.

I thought chemistry majors did all their labs during the holidays, not mixed with regular coursework.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

He looks pretty calm

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought chemistry majors did all their labs during the holidays, not mixed with regular coursework.
We did both! No free time for Chemists in Germany!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nostradingus posted:

He looks pretty calm

Yea I hear he's a pretty cool guy

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

8 A.M. for a regular lecture is fine IMO. Take a coffee and make notes on autopilot. gently caress, bring a voice recorder or something.
7 A.M. for a loving final exam, however, is some grade-A bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evilreaver posted:

Yea I hear he's a pretty cool guy
A cool guy's chill day

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyMastis/status/1070500588830515201

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

The_White_Crane posted:

8 A.M. for a regular lecture is fine IMO. Take a coffee and make notes on autopilot. gently caress, bring a voice recorder or something.
7 A.M. for a loving final exam, however, is some grade-A bullshit.

Especially a cooking exam. That early in the morning I'm so tired could end up putting a croissant in some fried rice. Anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

School forced to cancel clairvoyant night due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’